Bonham's maple kit

miker

I'm semi-pro Hickory Man, thanks for asking!

I play in a rock covers band that does the usual bars/clubs/functions etc. I also teach a little bit.

Oh, I also have a 1976 Rogers kit too! :)

I play in a cover band, and one original band as well. Good on you for the teaching bit, I don't do very well with that....although i should probably try it with intermediate students instead of the beginners.

It's cool that you collect kits! It's addicting... I have one kit for each band I play in, but want more!

I sold a walnut Gretsch kit to a friend of a friend about eight years ago, and I'm hearing that he wants to sell it now.... my wallet is hiding from me though. :P

Whatcha doin in that pic? :o:D

Er......cough, um, admiring my floor tom of course! :unsure:

That was a really crappy gig actually. We were booked to play at the "Belford Summer Fair" a couple of years ago.

So we turned up and this farmer who's organised it shows us where to set up. You wouldn't believe it. It was a dark, smelly concrete cattle shed the size of an aircraft hanger, with a "stage" at one end. The "stage" was a rickety old tractor trailer covered in cow shit...

The acoustics in this place were so bad...........we started to soundcheck the drums and the snare drum sounded like gunfire! I've never heard echo like it. You possibly heard it in California...

Truely awful. There's nothing we could do. Absolutely nobody enjoyed it. We played, we got paid. And we've never been to Texas Belford anymore.....

We did get free burgers from the BBQ though..! :)

Doncha hate those? :rolleyes:

"Ohh yeah man, it's gonna be a blazin gig!"

Then you get chickens running across the stage. They live there and you're the intruder with all yer noise.

Then they say "Hey, we've cut the grass down around the '52 Dodge flatbed. You can set it up on there."

"Deliverance" gigs. "Squeal"!!! :drunk:

One-eyed guy with a pet rat on his shoulder wants to know if you play any Skynyrd.

And then of course, some dude named Vito comes up claiming to know Greg Allman and wants to sit in for 30 minutes of Hey Joe.

Now I know why I stay home anymore! :hysterical:

Doncha hate those? :rolleyes:

"Ohh yeah man, it's gonna be a blazin gig!"

Then you get chickens running across the stage. They live there and you're the intruder with all yer noise.

Then they say "Hey, we've cut the grass down around the '52 Dodge flatbed. You can set it up on there."

"Deliverance" gigs. "Squeal"!!! :drunk:

One-eyed guy with a pet rat on his shoulder wants to know if you play any Skynyrd.

And then of course, some dude named Vito comes up claiming to know Greg Allman and wants to sit in for 30 minutes of Hey Joe.

Now I know why I stay home anymore! :hysterical:

:(

I'll never gig again.....

• 2 weeks later...

* BUMP! *

For what it's worth, I'm now under the impression that the 1969/70 Thermogloss bass drum was indeed a 26x16, NOT a 26x14...

I was unaware that Ludwig produced bass drums in this size (26x16) but a Thermogloss kit possibly dating from 1976 has appeared on the market recently, sporting a 24x16 bass drum. Looking at the pics, Bonzo's simply had to be 16" deep too...

http://www.drumshack.co.uk/product.asp?num...=&PT_ID=158

Wonder why he switched to 26x14 then? Was that extra two inches simply too much for even Sir John Bonham? :unsure:

* BUMP! *

For what it's worth, I'm now under the impression that the 1969/70 Thermogloss bass drum was indeed a 26x16, NOT a 26x14...

I was unaware that Ludwig produced bass drums in this size (26x16) but a Thermogloss kit possibly dating from 1976 has appeared on the market recently, sporting a 24x16 bass drum. Looking at the pics, Bonzo's simply had to be 16" deep too...

Wonder why he switched to 26x14 then? Was that extra two inches simply too much for even Sir John Bonham? :unsure:

I would be willing to bet that these are not 3ply. The thicker spurs and black thumb screws on the mount are later '70's. I'd bet that these are 6ply drums. That's not to say that the bass drum is not 16x24 and that Bonham's bass drum was not 16x26. I do know that this size was offered in the late seventies. Can someone here contact drum shack and confirm the size of the bass drum and the number of plys on the kit?

...And here it is:

45712214545f3324def66c54410d20dbcb26a5abd024837ab760d298.jpg

Nice to see ya again Ev! It's been a while...!

Miker - I've met Paul Thompson a couple of times, as he lives very near to me. He told me himself that the tom had been "downsized", although I have read about it somewhere also. Can't remember where.

He doesn't give much away about "the kit". I think he gets sick of being asked. He did tell me he'd like to give it back to Jason one day.

Good luck with your drum project by the way. Be sure to post some pics!

Any chance you can get him to measure the shell depth on the bass drum/s? It would clear up all of this speculation.

* BUMP! *

I guess I could see that...at the 26" size, the smaller depth would mean more responsiveness, pretty crucial to his style. It would also be a "punchier" tone for live performance...I wonder when they started running seperate monitor mixes for drums? Having the drum cut through the other stage tones could have been a reason.

Man I wish he was around to ask!

I would be willing to bet that these are not 3ply. The thicker spurs and black thumb screws on the mount are later '70's. I'd bet that these are 6ply drums. That's not to say that the bass drum is not 16x24 and that Bonham's bass drum was not 16x26. I do know that this size was offered in the late seventies. Can someone here contact drum shack and confirm the size of the bass drum and the number of plys on the kit?

Yes, they are 6 ply - I forgot to add that!

I received word this morning that the kick which is for sale is indeed a 16x24.

Copy of email from Paul Thompson below. He's a man of many words!

Doug,

didnt know it was called thermogloss !

I am sure they are 16

Paul

> Hi Paul - hope you're well!

> Could you please clear up something for me? The

> Bonzo Thermogloss Maple kit thing you have - does it

> have a 16" or 14" depth bass drums?

> Much discussion is happening about this and only you

> can verify it!

> Cheers mate!

Copy of email from Paul Thompson below. He's a man of many words!

Doug,

didnt know it was called thermogloss !

I am sure they are 16

Paul

> Hi Paul - hope you're well!

> Could you please clear up something for me? The

> Bonzo Thermogloss Maple kit thing you have - does it

> have a 16" or 14" depth bass drums?

> Much discussion is happening about this and only you

> can verify it!

> Cheers mate!

Well, I thought that my eye saw a 16x26. If you hadn't brought up the pictures that you found and asked Paul about his drums history would continue on with incorrect information. THANKS!!!

Archived