The dangers of baseball: it's your choice.

DRUNK

Recently, people have been complaining, and filing lawsuits over the dangers of baseball bats.

When someone plays baseball, shouldn't they already be aware of the dangers? A bat is swung at a ball thrown at a high speed.

The danger is obvious.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-b...o&type=lgns

The above is one example.

There is a recent example of a kid who has been left basically retarded from getting hit on the face with a ball. Terrible of course, but his parents are SUING THE COMPANY WHO MADE THE BAT THAT HIT THE BALL WHICH HIT HIM.

I trhink this is insanity. What do you think?

George Harrison, God rest his blessesd soul, had it right in the album "Living in the Material World". One of my favorites by all ex Beatles. Sue me Sue you Blues was the song. If you can sue over a hot cup of coffee at McDouchbags, you can sue over anything. In the words of Don Henley "lets kill all the lawyers"!!

I think its stupid to use equipment that carries so much inherent risk when there are better alternatives.Whats wrong with using a bat that does not crack the same way? Hell I am sure people can develop bats that hit farther, break safer and sound better than wood. And if you must use the old bats the the stadiums ought to put up proper barriers to prevent broken bats from hitting fans.

Look at what NASCAR has done to improve the safety stock car racing. They completely reconfigured the stock car this year. The seats are better positioned, the handling is better, the harnessing has been improved. Plus the wall materials are better able to absorb the force of impact. I am sure this is only a partial list. You want proof that this has worked? Take a look at this crash from a couple of weeks ago. Michael McDowell walked away from this with bumps and bruises. Even just a few years ago he would have been dead.

Baseball's pretty wimpy compared to auto racing but that doesn't mean they should not improve safety where its possible.

It would be nice if everyone could self govern so but it is a sad fact that people only pay attention when a court tells them they must pay damages. Beware what you wish for. I believe that tort law is a key component in the success of western civilization.

Heresy!

Nothing sounds better than wood smacking a baseball. These metal bats that PING sound so artificial. Baseball IS a contact sport and if someone can't handle the danger then they shouldn't be playing. I can't stand the thought of making it safer. Wimps!

Let's leave religion out of it. Who says the bats have to be metal. Isn't there any kind of polymer that can be developed that sounds as good as wood. Bet the person who comes up with it will get rich fast.

And by the way are you implying that the fans ought to participate in this so called contact sport?

I thought this was going to be about the maple bats in the MLB. Either way, that lawsuit is ridiculous. Getting hit in the face with a batted ball cannot be a pleasant expirience, but this case is just another example of how dependent on lawsuits we have become.

I played baseball when I was younger and the First Rule of Baseball is what?

When the pitcher is on the mound keep you're eye on the ball and this goes for spectators as well. It's meant for anyone in the park look it up! :rolleyes:

:angry: 'Compensation Culture' is an absolute menace. :angry:

And it literally prevents people from ever getting a proper start in life nowadays - to avoid frivolous lawsuits, a lot of schools will no longer participate in activities if they contain any risk whatsoever of personal injury. This takes away such things as field trips and most sports.

We (in the UK) recently had a case where a (Ministry Of Defence ?) typist claimed nearly half a million quid for hurting a finger - and yet soldiers who get badly injured or lose their lives are often lucky to get a fraction of that. :angry:

I think its stupid to use equipment that carries so much inherent risk when there are better alternatives.Whats wrong with using a bat that does not crack the same way? Hell I am sure people can develop bats that hit farther, break safer and sound better than wood. And if you must use the old bats the the stadiums ought to put up proper barriers to prevent broken bats from hitting fans
Hitting farther? Thats safer?

Look at metal bats. If Adam Dunn was to use a metal bat, with his power, he could potentially kill someone with his hit.

Hitting harder wouldn't solve the problem. Bats are fine the way they are now. You get hit by a bat, you're own fault. Should've been lookin

I was at an A's game in left field during batting practice and one kid wasn't paying attention and a foul ball hit him right in the nose. He was only a couple seats over and I heard the crunch sound. :( He dropped like a rock and the blood started pouring. They took him out and I heard that the batter sent him a signed ball and I'm guessing that's all there was to it. I'm also pretty sure that there's a disclaimer on every ticket stub that you 'view at your own risk.' But the blood sucking lawyers will do anything for money, including eating a turd if their was a profit to be had. <_<

I hate metal bats.

In Chicago there is two types of softball. 12in glove and 16in no glove.

12in is like playing slow pitch baseball like when you were a kid, but with these new bats and the fact nobody's wants to play in a no fence league, these 160pound superstars are cranking them out and it sucks because there is a limited number of home runs that can be hit before they start counting as outs. I'm a big guy with power and i don't need to hit home runs every time, but i hate how i have to poke one over the 1basemans head because if I actually swing, ill hit a light standard in left field.

So thats why i like the no glove 16in because the small guys actually play small ball and the big guys try to put one over the heads of the outfielders. But in that game I used a 40oz worth 16in wood softball bat. not many people still use wood, (that usually used 12in bats) but with the wood you get more back spin on the homers and when i try to flare one out to right, the spin is enough to make the ball make a 90 deg. turn once it hits the grass.

I did play in a fast pitch wood bat league last year and those maple bats do explode if you don't hit the sweet spot. the new thing now is bamboo. Everybody has a bamboo bat because it won't break as easy as any other wood bat.

I think its stupid to use equipment that carries so much inherent risk when there are better alternatives.Whats wrong with using a bat that does not crack the same way? Hell I am sure people can develop bats that hit farther, break safer and sound better than wood. And if you must use the old bats the the stadiums ought to put up proper barriers to prevent broken bats from hitting fans.

Metal bats are much more dangerous than wood. I expect that with we will probably see some pitchers get killed in college baseball because of metal bats. The speed of the ball off of these faster swinging bats is just too fast to get out of the way everytime. I like wood and if you want to improve the way wooden bats break, then we should go back to using only ash bats.

And the barriers at stadiums are fine the way they are. Fans sitting off of the baselines just need to"keep their heads in the game" too. If I am sitiing behind the plate I appreciate a good barrier. But when I am sitting just inside of the 'bags', I hate those mesh barriers blocking my view. Same with hockey too btw.

In Chicago there is two types of softball. 12in glove and 16in no glove.

I know you explained this further in your post, but still I have no clue what you're referring to? I did play competitive softball for about 25 years, but never heard these terms - inches, what glove, what does this have to do with bats?

I always used a 32 ounch Worth aluminum bat, and never saw anyone but the pitcher taste a ball. Not everyone should play, like some little league parents think. Give the kid plenty of practice, including lessons at reacting properly and number 1 - paying attention - before any competitive interaction. Spectators should be better protected than they are now - it would also keep them from interfering with balls in play.

Thinner handles prefered by today's players is the cause of all the broken bats, and nothing will probably be done about it until a player or coach gets impailed in the neck by some wood shrapnel (pleasant thought ?....bound to happen eventually). Look at the coaches....one gets beaned in the head and now they all have to wear helmets. For a player, it's a minimal concern considering the inherent risk of some 6' 7" dude throwing a missile at you from 60 feet away. Trust me, I know about this. After getting hit twice in one game when I was about 9, I "stepped in the bucket" for the next two years. My older brother should have took me in the yard and whipped balls at my head to conquer my fear. Hell, he was kicking my ass anyway. :)

I'm guessing (because I don't really know), that Ash-Borer disease is the cause of the preference towards Maple. Maybe the combination of thinner handles and Maple wood is the problem ?

Anybody in Louisville ? Hillerich and Bradsby must know the answers !

• 3 weeks later...

Archived