Robert plant and personality clashes

I was listening to jetro tull (25th anniversary of aqua lung)and Ian Anderson was telling the interviewer about Robert plant .There seems to be a few story's emerging of personality clashes with other artists .latest was Robert's remarks about radio head. Also read the latest TBL diary by Dave lewis and his reference to Yoko Ono (regarding Alison)We all saw how big an ego sabastion bach had in the super group series .Any one got story's about Robert plant and personality clashes in his past

I was listening to jetro tull (25th anniversary of aqua lung)and Ian Anderson was telling the interviewer about Robert plant .There seems to be a few story's emerging of personality clashes with other artists .latest was Robert's remarks about radio head. Also read the latest TBL diary by Dave lewis and his reference to Yoko Ono (regarding Alison)We all saw how big an ego sabastion bach had in the super group series .Any one got story's about Robert plant and personality clashes in his past

You couldn't be Robert Plant and not have a Zeppelin-sized Ego

Egos are all over the music business, and since you start by mentioning Ian Anderson, he ought to take a good look at himself in the mirror. When Tull played here a couple of years ago the local crew were each given a list of demands which included "Do not look at the band members, do not talk to the band members" etc etc - the only band EVER to have done anything like that here. Talk about ego - that's off the scale.

I also cannot see the conection between Dave's off-the-cuff remark about Alison, and Robert's ego???

Robert has been the "star" of his community since he was 17. To expect him not to have an ego is ridiculous. Yet he is also a much-loved and warm human with a beautiful family and a host of fiercely loyal friends. He has many faults, but I'm willing to bet that those who continually point those faults out also have quite a few faults of their own.

Everyone clashes with others at times - as Ally pointed out, this forum is evidence enough of that.

Oh man, lay off Percy. So he talks a lot, big deal. How could you front a band like that without an ego? As a music fan (and a fairly typical female fan, I think) I say hats off to your ego! I'm sure there are FAR worse egos in the music biz, as Knebby pointed out.

RP drove around in hillbilly country and met people playing banjos- he is so into American music in a whole new way and as an American I really think that's cool. If it weren't for people like him, a lot of midwestern suburban kids (like I was) might not have as much as an appreciation for all the great music in our own backyards.

You're right. Bands like Led Zeppelin and the Grateful Dead are what made me investigate the roots of rock music when I was young (42 now so that was a while ago) and I feel it is important to see/hear the history of music and how it all evolved. Most kids have no idea and could care less and are only interested in what is new-I find this to be a real shame.

I'm Canadian and have always had a love for American music like Robert does. There is just no denying that this is where rock and roll came from as well as jazz and blues. Of course it is also interesting to follow those to their roots in Africa and the folk and classical music of Europe and beyond.

As for the other, yes Robert Plant has a Robert Plant sized ego so what naturally comes from that will come.....

robert plant is fairly approachable, appreciates his fan-base, and seems to like talking shit-with a more than healthy sense of humor. but buddy, you're right about ian anderson-whatta dick! i work stage crew everyplace i live and jethro tull's madate is even worse than the eagles-some of the biggest bastards in rock (or country rock). most stage unions have those rules posted themselves. contact only happens when the artist is gregarious.

percy is no problem with a crew....crews all over the US (that i know of) love him. anybody else load in and out/set up stages or electric? what's the opinion of plant where you're at?

Everybody by definition has an ego. It gets really tiresome to see Robert Plant constantly being bashed for his, which while it may be of healthy proportions is far less abrasive than many other people's (not "stars'", people's). I'm sure if we try hard enough we could dig up stories of personality clashes involving all four members of the band, plus Jason, Roy Harper, Robert's dog Strider, and all of us.

I'll be sure to have a word with Robert Plant about his ego the next time I see him if I'm not too busy. Heaven knows he needs adult supervision.

Won't be getting it from you though, will he?

:rolleyes:

You're right. Bands like Led Zeppelin and the Grateful Dead are what made me investigate the roots of rock music when I was young (42 now so that was a while ago) and I feel it is important to see/hear the history of music and how it all evolved. Most kids have no idea and could care less and are only interested in what is new-I find this to be a real shame.

I'm Canadian and have always had a love for American music like Robert does. There is just no denying that this is where rock and roll came from as well as jazz and blues. Of course it is also interesting to follow those to their roots in Africa and the folk and classical music of Europe and beyond.

As for the other, yes Robert Plant has a Robert Plant sized ego so what naturally comes from that will come.....

Yeah, and bluegrass has it's roots back where he came from, anyway!

I think with most musicians/actors/performers etc, an ego is a statutory obligation. It's when it tips over into total self importance and disregard of others that it is ugly. I am very surprised about Ian Anderson coming over all Mariah Carey, just goes to show...

I think with most musicians/actors/performers etc, an ego is a statutory obligation. It's when it tips over into total self importance and disregard of others that it is ugly. I am very surprised about Ian Anderson coming over all Mariah Carey, just goes to show...

:o She did not just say that! :lol: I'm afraid to ask if it's for real (remember last time with Jason the horticulturist?) but seriously, what's that about?

:o She did not just say that! :lol: I'm afraid to ask if it's for real (remember last time with Jason the horticulturist?) but seriously, what's that about?

:lol: Maybe my choice of words were a little wrong Suz. I meant Ian Anderson behaving like Mariah Carey...I guess it does look a bit dodgy the way I wrote it.

Now that scenario would beat the Hendrix Sex Tape hands down :D

:lol: Maybe my choice of words were a little wrong Suz. I meant Ian Anderson behaving like Mariah Carey...I guess it does look a bit dodgy the way I wrote it.

Now that scenario would beat the Hendrix Sex Tape hands down :D

Don't believe you. I think you knew exactly what you were saying. LOL

Hey beatbo sounds like we're in the same line of work.

Are you IA? I am here in Canada......I missed doing Robert Plant when he came to my town as I was in the middle of a month long theater run....I was pissed about having to miss doing his show but you can't pass up a month of work to do one show....at least I couldn't at the time....

Archived