What's the Next Concert You're Attending?

Jahfin

• 4 weeks later...

The Gourds tonight at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC with Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars) opening. Also on the bill is The Wandering which includes Luther, Amy LaVere, Shannon McNally, Valerie June and Sharde Thomas.

Aerosmith with Cheap Trick opening for them. They're rolling through my area in June and I'm thinking of going.

Maybe.....lol

Mayve if it was 1976-77. :P

The Gourds tonight at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC with Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars) opening. Also on the bill is The Wandering which includes Luther, Amy LaVere, Shannon McNally, Valerie June and Sharde Thomas.

I have a bootleg video of Stereolab playing the Cat's Cradle in 1996, and henceforth, I've always been curious about the place and hope to eventually see a show there.

We are now in the 5th month of the year and I have only seen 10 concerts...I must be slowing down in my old age. Fortunately I'm picking up the pace...saw Jack White and his new band The Peacocks play the Mayan the last day of April(amazing as always) and I'm booked for at least 4 concerts this month, beginning tonight.

May 12: Brian Jonestown Massacre @ the Wiltern

This will be my 13th Brian Jonestown Massacre show. Lucky 13. The last time I saw BJM was 2005 or 2006, when they played a spectacularly psychedelic set, including a nearly 30-minute jam on "Sailor"...and I wasn't even on drugs. So it's been a good long 6 years or so and I'm curious as to how the band sounds now...or even who is in the band( besides Anton of course) given the revolving-door nature of BJM. I just hope Tambourine Man extraordinaire Joel Gion is still manning his post.

I don't know anything about the opening band Blue Angel Lounge. But then, it doesn't matter as I am seeing a movie first, then going to the concert, so I will miss the opening bands.

Edited by Strider

I have a bootleg video of Stereolab playing the Cat's Cradle in 1996, and henceforth, I've always been curious about the place and hope to eventually see a show there.

I've never been to anything but the current location but apparently it's had several different locales over the years. Someone that used to work with Southern Culture On the Skids on album artwork has recently started posting a bunch of old promo stuff from them on Facebook. Also in his collection are lots of old photos of other bands (regional and otherwise) playing at various venues such as the Cradle and the Milestone in Charlotte.

541266_3056440091018_1263820685_32181849_699897175_n.jpg

Sonic Youth at the Cat's Cradle circa 1987 Photo by Kent Thompson

485658_3044121543062_1263820685_32176786_1041262641_n.jpg

Dexter Romweber of Flat Duo Jets at the Milestone circa '85-'86 Photo by Kent Thompson

I might be seeing Elton John in September. I'm not a huge fan, but I like some of his early material, and he'll be playing close to where I live, so I figure "why not"?. Nothings been decided yet.

Edited by Cletus

May 22: SPIRITUALIZED @ Wiltern Theatre!

After Brian Jonestown Massacre, another trippy band comes to the Wiltern to exorcise the bad vibes left behind after the recent Creed/Live concert at the venue.

Spiritualized is one of my favourite British bands from the past 20 years...the post-Nirvana, or if you're British, the post-Stone Roses era. This will be my 10th Spiritualized show...but my first one sober. No drugs or drink for me tonight.

One of my favourite quotes by anyone is this one from Spiritualized leader Jason Pierce: "We take drugs to make music to take drugs to".

373013_409475795745731_1725814548_n.jpg

Wylie Hunter & the Cazadores w/ The Catch Fire tonight at Tir na nOg in Raleigh as part of their ongoing Local Band/Local Beer series. I've been reading lots of good things about Wylie Hunter in recent months so I'm looking forward to finally seeing what all of the fuss is about.

I'll probably end up at this show at the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh tomorrow night.

wr_war_on_drugs_2-1.jpg

I wanted to ask you how this show was, Jahfin? War on Drugs "Slave Ambient" was one of my favourite albums last year. Unfortunately I had to miss their L.A. date(with Sharon Van Etten no less!), as it was March 20, the same day as the of Monreal/Deerhoof show.

Sharon is coming back to L.A. in August with Andrew Bird. I am hoping War on Drugs makes another swing thru Los Angeles before the year is over.

Anybody who thinks there aren't any good rock bands anymore needs to check out War on Drugs.

Edited by Strider

I wanted to ask you how this show was, Jahfin? War on Drugs "Slave Ambient" was one of my favourite albums last year. Unfortunately I had to miss their L.A. date(with Sharon Van Etten no less!), as it was March 20, the same day as the of Monreal/Deerhoof show.

Sharon is coming back to L.A. in August with Andrew Bird. I am hoping War on Drugs makes another swing thru Los Angeles before the year is over.

Anybody who thinks there aren't any good rock bands anymore needs to check out War on Drugs.

I missed this show but I did see the War On Drugs late last year when they played at King's Barcade in Raleigh (my first War On Drugs concert was during Hopscotch 2010). Definitely one of my very favorite bands in recent years. The ones that believe rock is dead or that there aren't any good rock bands anymore are a lost cause. If they believe either of those two things it's because they aren't looking. At least that's the only conclusion I can surmise.

Well, it was going to be Jack White and the Peacocks tonight at the Wiltern. But I've been feeling like death all week, so I'm going to have to pass...I kept hoping I'd feel better, but no dice.

Thing is, Mogwai is playing this Saturday at the Fonda, and now I'm worried I'll have to miss that one, too. Big bummer.