What's the Next Concert You're Attending?

Jahfin

Jonathan Tyler and the Northern Lights w/ Ponderosa at the Pour House in Raleigh tonight. I still haven't seen an entire set by Ponderosa but what I have seen, I've enjoyed so I'm looking forward to catching a complete (albeit an "opening") set from them this evening. I'm unfamiliar with the headliners but understand they have a heavy Black Crowes/Humble Pie influence.

The Cult

Friday night 12 Nov at The Tabernacle in the ATL!

From the recent setlists I've perused, they do about 3 songs from their new CD then about 13 or 14 classics.

Ian looks like he's started to slim down some from last year.

Should be awesome.

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit w/ Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter at the Casbah in Durham tomorrow night. It's my first trip to the newly opened Casbah so I'm really looking forward to it. I saw Jason a while back and it was good but his sets haven't changed a whole lot over the years. I'm hoping he's starting to break in some new material on the road this time out. That would be nice.

How did you like Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hearafter?

I saw her open for Conor O'Berst and just loved her voice and lyrics.

She used to be and may still be a photographer and once said in her interviews she tries to make her songs like photos with all the different textures a picture has. Not a exact quote but I thought it really describe her music.

How did you like Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hearafter?

I saw her open for Conor O'Berst and just loved her voice and lyrics.

She used to be and may still be a photographer and once said in her interviews she tries to make her songs like photos with all the different textures a picture has. Not a exact quote but I thought it really describe her music.

I liked them. It was kind of a quiet set since they (Jesse and Phil Wandscher) were without their full band. A friend, who's musical tastes I trust, saw them a few years back and noted that Jesse has a very unusual voice. I didn't notice it at first but did several songs into the set. I was not bothered by her voice at all. I'm familiar with Phil from his work with Whiskeytown so it was a real treat to finally see him and hear him relate several stories about his days growing up in the Durham area. I haven't rushed out to buy any of their records but am interested in seeing them with a full band the next time they pass through.

Tonight, Marshall Chapman will be in town promoting her new book They Came To Nashville as well as her new record, Big Lonesome which is dedicated to the late, great Mr. Tim Krekel, once a member of Jimmy Buffett's Coral Reefer Band and a hell of a songwriter in his own right.

Tomorrow night is a benefit for Chip Robinson, formerly of the seminal hardcore honky tonk band The Backsliders. Chip was recently injured in a bicycle accident up in New York and, like so many musicians, doesn't have health insurance. So, like so many times before, the local music community is rallying around one of their own to help a fellow fallen musician out. I'm not sure how often this happens in other music oriented communities but it's one of many reasons I moved to Raleigh a couple of years ago.

50393_123369371056712_3636264_n.jpg

Ozzy Osbourne And Rob Halford Tommorow Night At The 1st Mariner Arena In Baltimore

Sweet. I just scored tix to the East Rutherford, NJ show on Friday night.

Seventh row last minute at face value.

Can't wait to see the new guitarist.

I feel good. du du duh duh dun du du.

• 4 weeks later...

Next show will be a FREE in-store performance by Wino. Scott "Wino" Weinrich has been making mostly heavy metal music with bands like Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, etc. but this last record of his is mostly acoustic. Don't have a physical copy of it yet but I'll make sure I get it there. Really cool two covers of "Iron Horse/Born to Lose" by Motorhead and "Shot in the Head" by Savoy Brown. Also does a very good cover of "Nothin'" by Townes Van Zandt love that as Townes is my favorite artist of all time. Touring with Scott Kelly won't be seeeing the shows with him as the one in L.A. is +21.

161956_121761684555292_7664340_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...