What's the Next Concert You're Attending?

Jahfin

14 hours ago, ScarletMacaw said:

Well, in 1982 I went to see Heart, which was one of my favorite bands at the time. Their show sucked. I don't recall now what was wrong except Ann Wilson stood literally in one spot the entire night and they all seemed disengaged from each other and just basically played their hits w/ no improv. 

As for San Francisco, I don't live there, and although it's not far, it does mean 40 minutes of driving each way, a bridge toll, and the cost of a parking garage. 

The early-'80s were a weird time for Heart. Some of the original members (Roger and Steve) had left the band by then and Heart went in a more soft, commercial radio direction. I saw Heart at the Texas Jam in 1981 or 1982 and they were very disappointing compared to when I saw them in the 1970s. A lot of piano/keyboard-based softies and very little rockers...until they closed with a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll". The sad decline of a once rocking band.

I don't know anything about The Heavy, but if ebk says they are loud, bring some earplugs.

15 hours ago, ScarletMacaw said:

So, I have another recommendation request: A reconstituted version of Black Flag is playing in April in Petaluma, which is just 25 minutes up the road and no toll and no parking garage...Anybody seen this iteration of them? 

And I WILL wear earplugs!

I guess it depends on whether you saw Black Flag in the old days. As long as you know you are basically getting a tribute band version of Black Flag. Keith Morris is long gone. Dez Cadena is long gone. Henry Rollins is long gone. Chuck Dukowski is long gone. Robo is long gone. Chuck Biscuits is long gone. Kira is long gone. Bill Stevenson is long gone. Anyone who had anything to do with Black Flag's original 1976-1986 run is gone...except for original guitarist Greg Ginn. 

The last time I saw Greg and his hired hands was a few years ago...maybe ten. It was disappointing. I'll stick to the memories I have of seeing them back in the day. But I'll leave it to your discretion as to whether it you feel it is worth the trip.

7 hours ago, Strider said:

I guess it depends on whether you saw Black Flag in the old days. As long as you know you are basically getting a tribute band version of Black Flag. Keith Morris is long gone. Dez Cadena is long gone. Henry Rollins is long gone. Chuck Dukowski is long gone. Robo is long gone. Chuck Biscuits is long gone. Kira is long gone. Bill Stevenson is long gone. Anyone who had anything to do with Black Flag's original 1976-1986 run is gone...except for original guitarist Greg Ginn. 

The last time I saw Greg and his hired hands was a few years ago...maybe ten. It was disappointing. I'll stick to the memories I have of seeing them back in the day. But I'll leave it to your discretion as to whether it you feel it is worth the trip.

ok, thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

Almost forgot about this show tonight. Like I almost forgot about the No Age concert last week.

Unwound hasn't played in over 20 years. Vernon died a couple years ago but Justin and Sara live on, with Jared Warren taking Vern's place on bass.

20230215_181101.thumb.jpg.3187e52df9a7b495d0c0272988bff1f5.jpg

20230215_181147.thumb.jpg.5d85e5660eff341242aecf7de36fc81b.jpg

Edited by Strider

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Next Thursday April 27: Iggy Pop @ Hollywood Palladium. A Christmas gift from a friend.

And I have to decide whether to see one of the Phish shows at the Hollywood Bowl this weekend.

Edit: I've decided. Got tix for Sunday April 23: Phish @ Hollywood Bowl. 

Edited by Strider

7 hours ago, Walter said:

What did you think? 

Great show. Sold out. Standing room only. His band was tight. He’s an excellent performer and Steve Stevens was incredible (his technique and accuracy with flamenco, blues, and so many styles was amazing. He even played some zeppelin (part of “going to California” and intro to “Stairway to Heaven” in one of his solos, too). 

R😎

On 4/29/2023 at 7:23 AM, reids said:

Great show. Sold out. Standing room only. His band was tight. He’s an excellent performer and Steve Stevens was incredible (his technique and accuracy with flamenco, blues, and so many styles was amazing. He even played some zeppelin (part of “going to California” and intro to “Stairway to Heaven” in one of his solos, too). 

R😎

Same here. Over crowded, but great show.🤘🏼

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Strider said:

How was it? Did The Black Angels play any new songs?

It was pretty good man, kinda crowded . This venues not Carson Creek Ranch where the event is usually held. Fucking corona screwed everything up. And nope , they played "Directions to See a Ghost" in its entirety. Had a good time though .

Another last-minute decision. Going tonight to see The Cure at the Hollywood Bowl. First night of a three night stand. Not sure if I'll go to the other nights. It was exactly seven years ago when the Cure played three nights at the Hollywood Bowl May 22, 23, and 24, 2016. So if you go back a few pages you'll probably see my posts about those shows.

On 5/20/2023 at 12:35 PM, reids said:

Just saw Rival sons at the Tabernacle (Atlanta). The Record Company opened. 
Excellent show from both bands.

R😎

IMG_3935.jpeg

IMG_3934.jpeg

IMG_3933.jpeg

Nice! I am going to see them in Milan and I can't wait. It will be the first time I see them live, I wanted to go for the Feral Roots tour (I loved that album) but couldn't. I just read that the keyboardist quit the tour, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Zebra in Phoenix tonight! They are touring for the 40th anniversary of their debut album which I have always personally had high regards for. Will be my first time seeing them. They do a Led Zeppelin tribute at the end of their shows as well. Looking forward to it!

Edited by luvlz2

• 3 weeks later...

I passed up going to the Ringo Starr All-Stars and Elvis Costello/Nick Lowe concerts last week. Just too burned out.

But I'm ready for King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard this Wednesday at the Hollywood Bowl. Let's go! Woo!

gvnoWOv1p8MWrU0NkBdE1R5V3CER8wOJl0NRMrT2.jpeg.da91d416d306e69eed0d2a74cc54c2cf.jpeg

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, Strider said:

I passed up going to the Ringo Starr All-Stars and Elvis Costello/Nick Lowe last week. Just too burned out.

But I'm ready for King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard this Wednesday at the Hollywood Bowl. Let's go!

gvnoWOv1p8MWrU0NkBdE1R5V3CER8wOJl0NRMrT2.jpeg.da91d416d306e69eed0d2a74cc54c2cf.jpeg

Cool 😎 👍🎶

I saw Joan Jett and Bryan Adams .

she dropped the key on almost all of her songs and is using a music stand for 5 new songs from their EP. 

R😎

IMG_4119.jpeg

IMG_4120.jpeg

IMG_4121.jpeg

IMG_4122.jpeg

IMG_4123.jpeg

IMG_4124.jpeg

IMG_4125.jpeg

IMG_4126.jpeg