A Fifth Member...

Nathan

At one point in their early career, there was talk amongst the boys and Grant about a fifth member, although it never went beyond words.

1. Who was one of the considerations?

2. What band did that consideration go on to create?

I'll give two hints:

1. Dave Lewis's Led Zeppelin- The Concert File (2005 addition)

2. The person considered was (and still is) a famous pianist

At one point in their early career, there was talk amongst the boys and Grant about a fifth member, although it never went beyond words.

1. Who was one of the considerations?steve winwood (was on the early tribute to bert berns i think)

2. What band did that consideration go on to create?Traffic

I'll give two hints:

I'm thinking Rick Wakeman.

I've done no research, just wanted to be the first with an answer. :yay:

You are on the right track, but no, it was not Rick Wakeman. However, the band the keyboardist formed did play in the same musical genre as Yes.

There you go, everyone... another clue.

rpgfaker, you are also on the right track, though Tea For One was closer.

Well that would be ELP.

What a scary thought. Imagine Keith Emerson dueling with Jimmy Page. :duel:

It would have made things interesting for sure. What would No Quarter and Kashmir have sounded like? Would the Zep even have lasted that long?

I mean, I think Keith is the greatest keyboardist ever, and ELP is my second all-time favorite band after Zep, but I'm glad he didn't get put in as a fifth member, because it's too totally different styles.

Although I always contended a joint Led Zeppelin/ELP show would have been freakin' amazing!

A Led Zeppelin/ELP Concept

:D

I could have sworn I read an interview with Jimmy somewhere where he said he had considered adding another guitarist too.

There were a few considerations, But Keith is the only one who's ever actually been named as far as I know, so I went with him for the Trivia Question.

There were a few considerations, But Keith is the only one who's ever actually been named as far as I know, so I went with him for the Trivia Question.

Yeah, I didn't think he had mentioned a name. It's weird to think of what Zeppelin would have been like with Vocals, Two Guitars, Bass, Permanent Keyboards, and Drums.

Yeah, I didn't think he had mentioned a name. It's weird to think of what Zeppelin would have been like with Vocals, Two Guitars, Bass, Permanent Keyboards, and Drums.

I think Jimmy said something along the lines that he'd like the second guitarist, but that he couldn't have it, because it would look strange on-stage to have someone else with him playing.

That being said, however, in some Chris Welch book or another Jack Bruce said he was approached for a position as 2nd bassist in the mid-'70s. It's mentioned in another Bruce bio, as well. Has anyone ever read that anywhere else, in a Zeppelin source? I don't recall ever doing so.

I think Jimmy said something along the lines that he'd like the second guitarist, but that he couldn't have it, because it would look strange on-stage to have someone else with him playing.

That being said, however, in some Chris Welch book or another Jack Bruce said he was approached for a position as 2nd bassist in the mid-'70s. It's mentioned in another Bruce bio, as well. Has anyone ever read that anywhere else, in a Zeppelin source? I don't recall ever doing so.

I never heard of this but maybe it was when Jonsey was thinking of quitting Zep....maybe they threw the idea out to JB just in cause it actually happened.

Anthony "Top" Topham originally the Yardbirds first guitarist replaced by Clapton.

Jimmy Page considered taking another guitarist on the road in early 69 to cover the rythm section and allow JPJ to concentrate on the keys.

As Dave Lewis indicates in his book The Concert File, Jones was more then capable of handling both roles. Zeppelin almost under went some other changes as late as 1978 but, thats a different story.

topcn4.jpg

Peter Grant was the fifth member.

It never fails. Every single time I start this thread at a Zep or related forum, someone has to make this post. And frankly, I'm sick of it.

So from now on, I'm gonna specify:

A fifth Performing, Playing Member Who Gets Up On Stage And Actually Performs As Part Of The Band. Did Grant ever do that?

Didn't think so.

And yes... I know nobody ever did. The point of this thread was to bring up a little known Zep trivia fact... they considered Keith Emerson, among others, as a fifth Performing, Playing Member Who Gets Up On Stage And Actually Performs As Part Of The Band member.

1. Who was one of the considerations?

2. What band did that consideration go on to create?

I'll give two hints:

It never fails. Every single time I start this thread at a Zep or related forum, someone has to make this post. And frankly, I'm sick of it.

So from now on, I'm gonna specify:

A fifth Performing, Playing Member Who Gets Up On Stage And Actually Performs As Part Of The Band. Did Grant ever do that?

Didn't think so.

And yes... I know nobody ever did. The point of this thread was to bring up a little known Zep trivia fact... they considered Keith Emerson, among others, as a fifth Performing, Playing Member Who Gets Up On Stage And Actually Performs As Part Of The Band member.

dude, i just said who it was. :angry:

where's my credit :lol:

also, they couldnt have Keith Emerson. that would be dank if they did. Emerson Lake and Palmer set up some jam sessions with Hendrix after the Isle of Wight Festival but Hendrix died after the ELP show. ELP never got to jam Hendrix.

Archived