The New Les Paul Traditional

IF you havent already heard, Gibson is releasing a new Les Paul called the The Les Paul Traditional. It sounds like the Les Paul most people wish the standards were like. It has a better flame (more like a 59 flame) it is cheaper, it uses the speed nobs (which I love alot better), not chambered, 50's neck, the Plek system thing. The question is, does it follow through....? I am very interested in this guitar, it would save me money if it is good instead of jumping for a Custom shop Les Paul.

fack.

just when I decided that I was going to buy that metro jtm45 kit, this pops up.

I have been waiting for this one ever since they started chambering the standard bodies.

558957.jpg

incredible.

Checking up on this one via the Les Paul Forum it seems that this is essentially a new version of the 1980s/1990s Les Paul specs, not the 1950s specs. For instance it's using chrome instead of nickle etc.

Also it may not be chambered like the recent Std.s have been but it looks like it is weight relieved - in other words the "swiss cheese" holes are back.

Nothing wrong with any of that: just be aware of what it is & what it isn't before you buy one. The use of the word "traditional" may give you the wrong impression.

fack.

just when I decided that I was going to buy that metro jtm45 kit, this pops up.

I have been waiting for this one ever since they started chambering the standard bodies.

558957.jpg

incredible.

Hey, I just got a Metropoulos JTM-45 also. I am about half way through building it.

Personally the swiss cheese holes never bothered me. Funny thing was the cork sniffer types who thought the holes were sloppy hated the chambered models even more, in the beginning the big argument was that chambered was the "clean" way to do it. Honestly there isn't much to get excited about with the Traditional model, its just another way to sell the Les Paul.

Don't mess with Gibson's ploys, and just get a Custom Shop. Every day when you wake up you will re-experience the joy of having the best guitar money can buy.

Meh, I've had two CS Gibby's, an R8 and 1960 LP Special, and I sold them both and kept my production model 03 Standard because I liked it more. Every guitar is different and buying a CS guitar is no guaranty it will be great. No doubt there are great CS Gibby's out there but there are also great production models out there. The best Gibson I've ever played or owned was a 2001 Explorer that I paid $700 for. The guitar was amazing in every way but I couldn't get used to the shape. I swapped it straight across for the 03 Standard I have now, which is also a great guitar but it doesn't have the mojo that Explorer had. I like it much more than either CS Gibby I had. I also prefer the other 3 production model Gibson's I currently have to the two CS guitar I had.

With guitars the important thing is to get out there and find what speaks to you. Everyone has different needs and preferences. I've gotten lucky and bought stuff sight unseen that was great but I've also bought a few I later regretted. The two CS Gibby's were two I regretted. There is no explaining it, some guitars just have it and some don't.

Hey, I just got a Metropoulos JTM-45 also. I am about half way through building it.

Definitely let me know how it sounds and plays when you're done. I'm very close but just can't seem to pull the trigger just yet. Part of me still longs for the brightness and aggressiveness of a plexi. Of course, the 50 watter is simply too much volume, even the JTM at 30 watts is too loud for most situations and I've already heard the 50 watt plexi head is considerably louder. I love the tone of the JTM but I'm not sure if I'll like the sag and softer pick attack of the tube rectifier. Though after scouring through the metro forums, I read that its not too hard to modify the JTM so that the bass can be tightened up and the sound be altered to be more plexi-ish.

Definitely let me know how it sounds and plays when you're done. I'm very close but just can't seem to pull the trigger just yet. Part of me still longs for the brightness and aggressiveness of a plexi. Of course, the 50 watter is simply too much volume, even the JTM at 30 watts is too loud for most situations and I've already heard the 50 watt plexi head is considerably louder. I love the tone of the JTM but I'm not sure if I'll like the sag and softer pick attack of the tube rectifier. Though after scouring through the metro forums, I read that its not too hard to modify the JTM so that the bass can be tightened up and the sound be altered to be more plexi-ish.

Will do, Im in the exact same situation. I always wanted a 100 watter Superlead. But that is just way too much volume for at home and small gigs. But then I heard the soundclips George put up and the sound was amazing.

I dont have much recording material, and Im not making much progress on the amp, but you can find tons of soundclips from the Metro forum members. But ill try to give you my input when im finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys I have a question.

I've never played a guitar before (never-ever), but I want to learn. Really bad.

That being said, my thought has always been, just get a Les Paul and be done with it.

Everyone else says buy an el-cheapo and learn on that, then if I like it, buy a Les Paul.

The reason I don't want an el-cheapo as my first guitar is because I'm afraid that if I try to learn on one, I will get pissed at it for sounding like trash/and not being what I really want (Les Paul) and end up just buying a better one anyways.

Any thoughts on this subject? I'm just afraid that my interest in the guitar will be influenced on whether or not I have a good piece of equipment or not.

Any reasons why a Les Paul would be harder to learn guitar on? or why I shouldn't just get a Paul?

Oh, and P.S., I'm left handed.

Thanks

I'd say get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Standard Plus to start on then.

You've obvously got an affinity for that style of guitar, so no point starting anywhere else. If you started on Fender you might get used to that, then find that you were uncomfortable with a LP when you finally got one, which would be a shame.

The Epi range has some really nice models - they beat the heck out of any starter guitar available when I was learning - but won't break the bank.

Then when you're ready you can think about the (financial) step up to a Gibson, assuming that you still like Les Pauls! :D

I'd say get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or Standard Plus to start on then.

You've obvously got an affinity for that style of guitar, so no point starting anywhere else. If you started on Fender you might get used to that, then find that you were uncomfortable with a LP when you finally got one, which would be a shame.

The Epi range has some really nice models - they beat the heck out of any starter guitar available when I was learning - but won't break the bank.

Then when you're ready you can think about the (financial) step up to a Gibson, assuming that you still like Les Pauls! :D

Thats the most reasonable thing anyone has said to me about this - Thanks. I think I will take your advice.

Archived