Coverdale Page outtakes

Has anyone heard the CP outtakes and extra songs that DC had on the WS website? The one's I heard were

Southern Comfort (unfinished acoustic ballad....kinda pretty)

Saccharin (killer riff....kinda sounds like David just had a guide vocal on it. Good song)

Good Love Bad Love (Kinda hokey but catchy riff)

I think any one of those three songs could have replaced Feeling Hot

Jeff

Has anyone heard the CP outtakes and extra songs that DC had on the WS website? The one's I heard were

Saccharin (killer riff....kinda sounds like David just had a guide vocal on it. Good song)

Jeff

Saccharin is a killer song

I remember Coverdale talking up Saccharin in the press after the album was released. They should have replaced Felling Hot with that. Southern Comfort is also good.

DC said that he battled to Geffen records to get possesion of the unused tracks (5 total) for almost 10 years.

Jeff

David and Jimmy liked Feeling Hot quite a bit; it was written the second day of their initial sessions at David's home. They considered it to be a great opener for a live show.

Yea....that's always been strange to me. It's not a horrible song but it's clearly not the best example of DC's work with JP. It's the only "fast" number on the album so I guess that alone merits it's inclusion.

I think this is a great bit of video tape of DC and Jimmy working together to write the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy46-WXf0Lk

Jeff

I think this is a great bit of video tape of DC and Jimmy working together to write the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy46-WXf0Lk

Jeff

Jeff -

That's fantastic. An early run thru of Don't Leave Me This Way. When it came time to

record the solo at Little Mountain Studios in October 1991 Jimmy nailed it on the first

take despite a fever of 102 degrees. He reattempted it at Criteria Studios in Miami a

few months later but even so did not surpass the results of that first take.

Jeff

Any chance we can get a direct link?

Any chance we can get a direct link?

http://whitesnake.com/new/archivecovers/cover2.html

click on "Campfire songs"....Southern Comfort is in there along with accustic versions of Take Me for a Little While and Take a Look at Yourself

As for Saccharin....it is streaming on DC's North C Radio on his website. If you keep listening it will come up.

Good Love Bad Love was up...but they took it down pretty quickly. Apparently it was up without DC's permission

Jeff

Good Love Bad Love was up...but they took it down pretty quickly. Apparently it was up without DC's permission

It's also probably not an actualy Coverdale/Page outtake. The guitar does not sound like Jimmy at all, and one Whitesnake website lists it as an unreleased demo from 2001.

It's also probably not an actualy Coverdale/Page outtake. The guitar does not sound like Jimmy at all, and one Whitesnake website lists it as an unreleased demo from 2001.

That's a misprint because Whitesnake didn't actually exist in 2001.

Good Love Bad Love is a CP outtake and that guitar playing is VERY Jimmy. It's just not that great a song. Very hokey and I'm glad they didn't include it on the album.

There's a couple other outtakes from that album...complete songs but I have yet to hear them.

Jeff

That's a misprint because Whitesnake didn't actually exist in 2001.

I never said that it was a Whitesnake demo -- only that a Whitesnake website lists it as a demo from 2001. It could be a Coverdale solo demo from that period.

If it's a C/P recording, then it's the first and only time Jimmy ever tried to sound like Adrian Vandenberg. ;)

Good Love Bad Love is a CP outtake

Please cite your source for this, thanks.

I never said that it was a Whitesnake demo -- only that a Whitesnake website lists it as a demo from 2001. It could be a Coverdale solo demo from that period.

If it's a C/P recording, then it's the first and only time Jimmy ever tried to sound like Adrian Vandenberg. ;)

Before I cite my source could you tell me where it is you are reading this on the Whitesnake website? Are you sure you are looking at the official WS website was the only one I was referring to. You can also ask DC directly on the BBS section on his web page.

David was in retirement in 2001 (after his solo album came out in 2000) and did NO further recording till 2006 and hasn't recorded a demo with Adrian Vandenberg since 1997. I know David and it would come as a great surprise to him that he was recording in 2001 ;) So as I said it was a misprint that you were reading.

Before I cite my source could you tell me where it is you are reading this on the Whitesnake website? Are you sure you are looking at the official WS website was the only one I was referring to. You can also ask DC directly on the BBS section on his web page.

David was in retirement in 2001 (after his solo album came out in 2000) and did NO further recording till 2006 and hasn't recorded a demo with Adrian Vandenberg since 1997. I know David and it would come as a great surprise to him that he was recording in 2001 ;) So as I said it was a misprint that you were reading.

If Coverdale says it's a Coverdale/Page outtake, then that's pretty much iron-clad. I know there were at least 5 unreleased songs from those sessions.

I found "Good Love" a year or two ago on a Whitesnake fansite, not the official site.

I also found "Good Love" on the official Whitesnake website, but it was NOT part of the "Campfire Songs" on the Coverdale/Page section of the site. It was part of the "North C Radio" section (it might still be there for all I know -- the radio seems to have a fairly large playlist). That's one of the reasons why I doubted it was a C/P outtake -- why would his site put "Saccharine" and "Southern Comfort" in the Coverdale/Page section, but not "Good Love"?

• 3 years later...

The topic is rather old and so I don't know if you still need a source. But there is a 1993 interview where Jimmy mentions the song:

"oh yes, there are a number of things I tried. The 6 string bass I play on another song too, which hasn't been published yet. The title is "Good Love Bad Love"."

post-17547-0-30106500-1308348559_thumb.j

That's a solid piece of detective work there. I had based my doubts on 3 factors:

1. a Whitesnake fansite said that the song was a Coverdale solo demo from 2001.

2. when Coverdale finally put the song on his website, he did not put it in the Coverdale/Page section.

3. the guitar parts don't sound as much like Jimmy as the rest of the C/P songs.

But who am I to argue with Jimmy speaking in German?? ;)

(I wonder if the reason those guitar parts don't sound like Jimmy is because he played them on a 6-string bass?)

1. a Whitesnake fansite said that the song was a Coverdale solo demo from 2001.

Yes, somebody tagged every song unknown to him as "unreleased home demo 2001", I got "Southern Comfort" with this label ;-)

And I don't know if "Southern Comfort" is one of the "official" CP outtakes, because Coverdale mentioned once that he originally wrote it for the Quireboys, which were in Vancouver around the same time Coverdale / Page recorded there...

One thing that puzzles me a little bit is that the 5:41 version of "Shake My Tree" is never mentioned in all these outtake threads. Especially because I'm not sure where I got it (on North C Radio too?)...

Archived