The Beer Thread

Mattmc1973

My buddy and I got rather drunk last night, check my link at the bottom for my new ratings. We had some good ones, and one that was FANTASTIC...

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. I'm missing out on too many of these up here. :(

I'm in Wilmington (DE) this weekend and there's a live, free jazz fest in the downtown square. So I tried the local brew - Twin Lakes. Had the Pale Ale and the Pilsner. Won't knock your socks off, but they were both quite pleasant. I like to give the locals a shot when I'm in town.

Last night, we went to the Phillies game and I tried the Sly Fox...although I don't know which one it was, it was quite good.

Here is a quick history of my beer drinking. I'm sure some memory gaps exist.....

1972-73 senior year of high school ( believe it or not, I started late), Black Label, Miller and Rolling Rock.

College years and beyond, Miller, Michelob, Heinekin. Some Forester's. Spent a couple of St. Paddy's days at McSorley's in NYC. McSorley's (spelling??) has been around for 100 years or so...

I had a Budweiser phase during my 30's.

Late 80's/early 90's started with some German beers.

These days I am totally into microbrews, trappist ales and anything out of the ordinary.

I've been thinking about buying a six pack of Bud to relive the pabst. Or maybe I'll buy a quart of Miller, that what I enjoyed in high school.

Here is a quick history of my beer drinking. I'm sure some memory gaps exist.....

1972-73 senior year of high school ( believe it or not, I started late), Black Label, Miller and Rolling Rock.

College years and beyond, Miller, Michelob, Heinekin. Some Forester's. Spent a couple of St. Paddy's days at McSorley's in NYC. McSorley's (spelling??) has been around for 100 years or so...

These days I am totally into microbrews, trappist ales and anything out of the ordinary.

I've been thinking about buying a six pack of Bud to relive the pabst. Or maybe I'll buy a quart of Miller, that what I enjoyed in high school.

You're a few years older than me! But that sounds awesome(quart of Miller) I hate that stuff but it reminds me of high school too,hahahaha.

Wasn't Rolling Rock just sold in Pa. and Ohio at that time?

You're a few years older than me! But that sounds awesome(quart of Miller) I hate that stuff but it reminds me of high school too,hahahaha.

Wasn't Rolling Rock just sold in Pa. and Ohio at that time?

Rolling Rock was 100% sold in NJ in 1972. Years later I drank some and was amazed at how "light" it tasted.

Rolling Rock was 100% sold in NJ in 1972. Years later I drank some and was amazed at how "light" it tasted.

Maybe it was the northeast,when I came to Carolina in 79,you couldn't find it here.It eventually came here later on though.I liked it then and still do when I want a good light beer :D

Black Label was popular in high school too.We could go down to Little Italy and the old mob guys would sell it to us in the back of the bar :o

All my experience says that Rolling Rock, when served at just above 33 *F, is the hands down best cheap beer - ever. It's still not bad, if it has changed?

I think Jimi Hendrix did a song just for this dilemma - "Is this Love, or just Confusion"?

If it's a Miller, make sure you get one of those crinkly paper bags that fit it just right, if you're in public.

Got into a few last night, Fullers ESB, Wychwood Fiddlers Elbow, Steam Brewery Liberty Ale. Tree Brewery Cutthroat Pale Ale, and Tree Hefeweizen. All very good. I'll be trying Brooklyn Brewery IPA today along with an old favorite Wychwood Hobgoblin.

Dogfish Head brewery is in Delaware, but not sure how far from where you are. Now they make some GOOD beer.

I'm a HUGE fan of Dogfish Head beers. So, of course, the first thing I did when I found out about this trip was check out the brewery tour schedule...then noticed that they're about 80 miles from Wilmington. BOOOO!!! That's not much further that going from my house...

Someday I'll make the pilgrimage. Meanwhile, fortunately, I can get all of their beers here at home. And I do!!

I'm a HUGE fan of Dogfish Head beers. So, of course, the first thing I did when I found out about this trip was check out the brewery tour schedule...then noticed that they're about 80 miles from Wilmington. BOOOO!!! That's not much further that going from my house...

Someday I'll make the pilgrimage. Meanwhile, fortunately, I can get all of their beers here at home. And I do!!

Had some of those last month the 60 min IPA and the 90 min too. Extremely hoppy but very good.The 90 will make you warm and fuzzy pretty quickly,it's almost a poor mans liquor,though it's not cheap whatsoever.Great taste!!!

Tonight I'm drinking an Oskar Blues Old Chub. It's a Scottish style ale that comes in a can. It's very dark with a thin head. I can taste the caramel and coffee. It's really smooth and goes down easy. Very nice. I will be going back to get another six pack.

I thought their 60 minute IPA was alright, but I REALLY liked the 90 minute IPA. I also have a 6-pack of the Indian Brown Ale in the basement, which I liked. I've not had the 120 minute IPA, which is 21% alcohol!

Oddly enough, I haven't had the 60 minute. But I love the 90. And I have 2 of the 2006 120's and 2 of the 2008's. I'm trying to find a special occasion-type night to drink the first 120 because I know it will be wonderful - it better be for the price!! :D

I like the Indian Brown a lot. And I just tried the Palo Santo Marron which is just devine!!

Geez - you'd think I worked for them... :) (I don't...)

That reminds me - there used to be a local bar that I played darts at that had an excellent variety of inport and microbrew tap beers. At the bar's edge, there was a big blimp with well over a dozen tap handles built into it, showing the selections. Very Zep related!

Archived