Empty Nest Syndrome

Dancin'Days

We, the ones who grew up listening to Led Zeppelin and trying to think about baseball, while sitting across from the girl in a short skirt at the end of sex ed, are at the age now that our kids have flown the coupe and we are left alone with our better (or worse) halves. Has anyone experienced the phenomenon of empty nest syndrome were one or the other partner goes shit bananas?

We, the ones who grew up listening to Led Zeppelin and trying to think about baseball, while sitting across from the girl in a short skirt at the end of sex ed, are at the age now that our kids have flown the coupe and we are left alone with our better (or worse) halves. Has anyone experienced the phenomenon of empty nest syndrome were one or the other partner goes shit bananas?

I didn't think there was an empty nest syndrome anymore. I was under the impression that society had changed and we were now embracing the 'stay at home' generation...young adults who don't move away and continue to live with their folks

No, that's the menopause, isn't it?

LoL....Well if you think these concepts are mutually exclusive, you've got a lot to learn. Your Father had a lazy-boy and a fridge in the garage for a reason.

LoL....Well if you think these concepts are mutually exclusive, you've got a lot to learn. Your Father had a lazy-boy and a fridge in the garage for a reason.

ROFL

:hysterical:

Thank GOD my mother hasn't started that yet...

(knock on wood)

My Dad had a huge pickle jar in the garage, where all the screws, nuts, bolts, nails, hooks, etc. were to be kept. If you wanted something, no matter how simple - there was a whole ritual to spreading out papers, dumping the jar's contents out, picking through it all, finding the one stupid screw you needed, then putting everything away. I would estimate it took close to 2 hours, each time. But my suggestion to implement a better system of organized bins was met with hysteria, like I was upsetting the whole balance of the earth. I just figured he had MEN-opause, too.

My Dad had a huge pickle jar in the garage, where all the screws, nuts, bolts, nails, hooks, etc. were to be kept. If you wanted something, no matter how simple - there was a whole ritual to spreading out papers, dumping the jar's contents out, picking through it all, finding the one stupid screw you needed, then putting everything away. I would estimate it took close to 2 hours, each time. But my suggestion to implement a better system of organized bins was met with hysteria, like I was upsetting the whole balance of the earth. I just figured he had MEN-opause, too.

Jimmie...Dad's not as wacked as he seems. He set that long search process up for a reason. This is referred to by some men as "puttering". I'm guessing the term evolved from those men that couldn't afford to golf several times a week, even though they really really wanted to. His behavior in this case is probably just a natural reaction to that piece of paper on the fridge, sometimes referred to as a "honey-do" list. Your Father's endless search for materials allows him to always give the proper male response to said list...."I'm working on it".

As for "Menapause", I have no doubt that such a condition exists. In fact, a couple of women thru the years have accused Bong-Man of suffering from this very malady. Imagine that ! B)

I know, I know... I just wish I understood the reasons behind all the wackiness back then. I was always trying to help make this calmer, and just get things done reasonably. A screw shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to find, the furniture shouldn't need to be dusted 4 times a day...

I know, I know... I just wish I understood the reasons behind all the wackiness back then. I was always trying to help make this calmer, and just get things done reasonably. A screw shouldn't take more than 10 seconds to find, the furniture shouldn't need to be dusted 4 times a day...

The Menopause exists alright :D Men too

I am enjoying it immensely that my husband and I have more time for each other now that our kids are adults. They still live with us, but I hardly see them, we usually have dinner together once/twice a week, occasionally we have lunch together at weekends. But we have, the four of us, a great relationship. I think it's the natural path that kids turn into adults and want to leave their parent's home. I would be very much worried if my kids didn't want to live their lives, on themselves. And I'm pretty sure that's the path they will take as soon as they can afford it.

Then..... two more spare rooms! :yay:

It sounds like your kids are really doing a great job at living their own lives, brspled. Since they are doing that you must have helped them work there and will deserve more time with your husband after that work.

I am enjoying it immensely that my husband and I have more time for each other now that our kids are adults. They still live with us, but I hardly see them, we usually have dinner together once/twice a week, occasionally we have lunch together at weekends. But we have, the four of us, a great relationship. I think it's the natural path that kids turn into adults and want to leave their parent's home. I would be very much worried if my kids didn't want to live their lives, on themselves. And I'm pretty sure that's the path they will take as soon as they can afford it.

Sounds very much like our house. Our oldest and his girlfriend are planning to move out soon and our youngest is getting himself set up as well. We're happy for them but they will be missed.

Want a lodger???? :D

My husband and I were together for seven years before we had our first child so we had our own rich, full life together before we had children. As a family, we have always been what one of my close colleagues described as "a close-knit little unit". Having children (or being pregnant, for that matter) never stopped us from pursuing our passions - including living and traveling outside of the U.S. - the kids always came with us. Although our two oldest children have been away at college and will soon move to other parts of the U.S. to start their careers, we have stayed close and they - along with their friends - visit on holidays and school breaks. They are always welcome here and we've always told them that, if they ever need to, they always have a safe place to stay. Our youngest child is still living at home as she is only in high school. My husband and I imagine that, once she leaves for college, our lives will not measurably change. We've talked about this and neither of us envisions feeling the "empty nest syndrome".

Want a lodger???? :D

No, not a lodger, Paul. But a visitor is welcome. ;)

Thanks LZfan, really sweet of you. :):)

Ally, my kids will also be missed, always. But it is good to know they can live their own lives ^_^

And MSG, I think we relate....again. :D;)

Wow MAD ! We waited 7 yrs as well. I hope as you say we won't feel the syndrome. There are no closed doors in our house either so I suspect even if we do, it will be on a small scale

Ally, my kids will also be missed, always. But it is good to know they can live their own lives ^_^

Its because I'm English isn't it Celia :blink:^_^

Two weeks ago, my cat was in the cat hospital for a couple of days and i was told on a few occasions that i was so depressing to talk to during that time. When i come home, my cat comes out from underneath the couch, looks at me and goes back and i don't see it until the next day i come home. and i miss that. Whats wierd, i haven't even really thought about not seeing my GF for the last 4 days and she know it and said that I care more about that cat then her. She may be right.

Two weeks ago, my cat was in the cat hospital for a couple of days and i was told on a few occasions that i was so depressing to talk to during that time. When i come home, my cat comes out from underneath the couch, looks at me and goes back and i don't see it until the next day i come home. and i miss that. Whats wierd, i haven't even really thought about not seeing my GF for the last 4 days and she know it and said that I care more about that cat then her. She may be right.

You mean your nest will be empty if the cat go away? :rolleyes:

LOL

I know who you were talking about, but I was quite confused.

Talk about a blast from the past! :lol:

(I thought you were talking to me...I was like, "what did I post again?")

LOL

I know who you were talking about, but I was quite confused.

Talk about a blast from the past! :lol:

(I thought you were talking to me...I was like, "what did I post again?")

:lol:

No, for me you're simply Mandy. ;)

Archived