Empty Nest Syndrome

Dancin'Days

No, not a lodger, Paul. But a visitor is welcome. ;)

Thanks LZfan, really sweet of you. :):)

Ally, my kids will also be missed, always. But it is good to know they can live their own lives ^_^

And MSG, I think we relate....again. :D;)

Yes we can, brspled. :D;)

Wow MAD ! We waited 7 yrs as well. I hope as you say we won't feel the syndrome. There are no closed doors in our house either so I suspect even if we do, it will be on a small scale

That is interesting Ally! Hmm, attending Zep concerts at the same time (but in different countries), meeting our spouses in clubs, waiting 7 years.....if someone here hadn't met you and your wife and told me that you two do exist and are great people, I would wonder.... ;)

Yes we can, brspled. :D;)

That is interesting Ally! Hmm, attending Zep concerts at the same time (but in different countries), meeting our spouses in clubs, waiting 7 years.....if someone here hadn't met you and your wife and told me that you two do exist and are great people, I would wonder.... ;)

Maybe we've found the secret to happiness :D It is ironic, but true

You mean your nest will be empty if the cat go away? :rolleyes:

Its the same type of deal. parents go crazy when their young ones move away, i get a little nutty when i miss my cat. But a better comparison would be my father and his dog. I think most parents miss their children is because they have nobody to bitch to. I mean i was 21 and my mother would yell at me everyday for something stupid like not replacing the toilet paper or taking out the garbage. When i left, she had nobody to yell at. SHe started to do things that she never did before. Well my father owns a dog, he doesn't beat it, but he does like to yell at it or play with the dog pretty hard. It's like a stress reliever. But maybe the excessive cleaning is just a way to relive the stress. Like i said, i have no idea why i miss my cat, but if i am having a bad day, it may come out of hiding and lay next to me.

Its the same type of deal. parents go crazy when their young ones move away, i get a little nutty when i miss my cat. But a better comparison would be my father and his dog. I think most parents miss their children is because they have nobody to bitch to. I mean i was 21 and my mother would yell at me everyday for something stupid like not replacing the toilet paper or taking out the garbage. When i left, she had nobody to yell at. SHe started to do things that she never did before. Well my father owns a dog, he doesn't beat it, but he does like to yell at it or play with the dog pretty hard. It's like a stress reliever. But maybe the excessive cleaning is just a way to relive the stress. Like i said, i have no idea why i miss my cat, but if i am having a bad day, it may come out of hiding and lay next to me.

Sorry, I won't go on this topic, because I simply can't understand people who compare pets to kids or to partners. There's no way I can I understand this logic.

And just for the records, I love my pets.

Sorry, I won't go on this topic, because I simply can't understand people who compare pets to kids or to partners. There's no way I can I understand this logic.

And just for the records, I love my pets.

Im not comparing what i belive is more important, Humans first. If my future dog bite my kid, that dog will be dead before he let go. But since i grew up as a big brother of three little sisters, i get lonely when i sit home and the cat makes me feel better. So really, the cat is just a replacement for my sisters that i don't get to see everyday, but they are not a complete substitute.

If i had a partner, i would miss her more than anything, but right now, i have a girlfriend and those come and goes depending on how the wind blows. I'm just a boyfriend to her too, until she likes the idea of settling down and i like the idea of not being able to buy things on a whim, we are basically two ships passing in the night.

Belive me, i didn't want this fucking cat, but after awhile, it kinda grows on you.

Im not comparing what i belive is more important, Humans first. If my future dog bite my kid, that dog will be dead before he let go. But since i grew up as a big brother of three little sisters, i get lonely when i sit home and the cat makes me feel better. So really, the cat is just a replacement for my sisters that i don't get to see everyday, but they are not a complete substitute.

If i had a partner, i would miss her more than anything, but right now, i have a girlfriend and those come and goes depending on how the wind blows. I'm just a boyfriend to her too, until she likes the idea of settling down and i like the idea of not being able to buy things on a whim, we are basically two ships passing in the night.

Belive me, i didn't want this fucking cat, but after awhile, it kinda grows on you.

Brother,I'm with you on the cat thing.Got one bathing next to me as I speak.They certainly don't replace the human element,but between my wife and our immediate families,and a handful of friends,they are certainly more fullfilling than the abundance of pricks I come in contact with.

You hit the nail square on the fucking head,"when I sit at home the cat makes me feel better."

A lot of folks won't relate to this.

Went through the empty nest syndrome in 1992 when our eldest went away to college. For 3 years, then had a baby in '95, so we will experience it again. The empty nest is not so bad.......as long as one or both of you are still working outside the home. The retirement stage is when things get "challenging". We've been retired for past 20 years, under each others feet 24/7.....trust me when I say you'll want a job even if you don't need the money. :D

I had empty nest for a couple of years. My kids are now all over 18.

I had a "so what am I now?" period when I felt...I'm not a hands on Mom anymore.

I had a period of pity parties. So much of my life was all about my kids. So, I did sort of mourn my identity as a Mom with small kids.

But NOW........:shifty::D

I feel free again. No husband, just my cat, and I believe pets can be very much like a person in the family. People who can't have kids get a lot of benefit having animals to love and care for.

It's an adjustment for sure. But distance doesn't have to be sad.

* heh, I can finally walk around neked again * :chickeddance::D

I had a "so what am I now?" period when I felt...I'm not a hands on Mom anymore.

I had a period of pity parties. So much of my life was all about my kids. So, I did sort of mourn my identity as a Mom with small kids.

I feel free again. No husband, just my cat, and I believe pets can be very much like a person in the family. People who can't have kids get a lot of benefit having animals to love and care for.

I think I will be the same as you. My daughter is only 12 and I wonder what my husband and I will talk about. 90% of our conversation revolve around her. Thank God I have my 2 dogs and we do have some great talks (and they don't argue with me) ;) It is great to be free (Naked)

Thanks for your outlook

:D Well, you'll still talk about her I'm sure. A mothers worries never, ever go away, no matter how old they get. But...think of the great times you'll have with hubby...alone!

And eventually....being gramma, :) like I am, happily now.

:D Well, you'll still talk about her I'm sure. A mothers worries never, ever go away, no matter how old they get. But...think of the great times you'll have with hubby...alone!

And eventually....being gramma, :) like I am, happily now.

That's so true, HP :)

Don't know about the grandma thing, but I'll believe your word. Though I don't want to finf out by myself that soon. ;):lol:

Aw, when I look back on it, I realize how much I loved that period when I was a Mom with small kids. My husband and I lived a somewhat vagabondish existence in the developing world and, when we were trekking around like nomads, there was always one child riding on my hip in a cotton sling, another traveling on my husband's shoulders, and a third walking while clutching both of our hands. I do miss those days.

My husband can relate to the "neked" business. :lol:

And, you and brspled are right, no matter how old they are, I will never stop worrying about my children.

Aw, when I look back on it, I realize how much I loved that period when I was a Mom with small kids. My husband and I lived a somewhat vagabondish existence in the developing world and, when we were trekking around like nomads, there was always one child riding on my hip in a cotton sling, another traveling on my husband's shoulders, and a third walking while clutching both of our hands. I do miss those days.

And, you and brspled are right, no matter how old they are, I will never stop worrying about my children.

My Mom still worries about me and I'm married and in my 40's.But at least she stopped wiping my face with a hanky and saliva. :lol:

Aww, that sounds like a very happy way to spend a childhood! I'm sure you and your husband have hundreds of priceless, precious memories that you'll remember forever.

My Mom still worries about me and I'm married and in my 40's.But at least she stopped wiping my face with a hanky and saliva. :lol:

:lol: Aw, there's something very sweet about that, Babs.

Aww, that sounds like a very happy way to spend a childhood! I'm sure you and your husband have hundreds of priceless, precious memories that you'll remember forever.

Thanks, we tried to make it so and we do have priceless memories of those years. Because we lived in the developing world, our kids didn't grow up with many of the material things that their peers who lived in the U.S. did. What they did have - and what persists to this day - was an exposure to other cultures, peoples, and lifestyles that gave them an open-minded worldview.

Ha Ha :D Isn't it amazing though that grandchildren can do all the things that we weren't allowed to do :huh: What up Mom ? :D

Brother,I'm with you on the cat thing.Got one bathing next to me as I speak.They certainly don't replace the human element,but between my wife and our immediate families,and a handful of friends,they are certainly more fullfilling than the abundance of pricks I come in contact with.

You hit the nail square on the fucking head,"when I sit at home the cat makes me feel better."

A lot of folks won't relate to this.

I do! Cats come in handy.

It's been just my daughter and me for a long time, and we've had some hard times but it's been good overall. I think when my daughter moves out I'll be devastated for awhile.

• 1 month later...

Well.......hopefully the "empty nest syndrom" will be over tomorrow. My son is returning from the States........ with his girlfriend after a long 21 months. He will be here for 4 years while finishing his studies to become an engineer. We just might ahve a new member in the forum! :chickeddance: