Jeff Beck Thread

eagle87

I saw jeff beck, live at ronnie scotts, again on palladia music channel. Unbelievable. Watching it this time, the drummer was into jazz fusion territory at times, with over playing and stuff and to me, that got a bit monotonous. But by the time the singer came on to do a few songs, i was looking forward to more instrumentals. Its like when i saw john paul jones, you hit this point where your not missing the fact that there isn't a singer, because the music is so good.

Jeff is a very nice fellow who played a gig around these parts recently and it was fantastic. Early on he suffered from the same control freak issues as Peter Townsend which was a shame because he never had a legitimate band to showcase his true abilities. I prefer the older Jeff Beck who seems to have understood he made some dumb mistakes early on.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Announcing Official DVD Release: Jeff Beck - Live In Tokyo

Technically brilliant, he is renowned for pushing musical boundaries and has excelled across many different genres from rock and jazz to pop and blues. “Live In Tokyo” was filmed at the Tokyo Dome City Hall in Japan on April 9th this year. These Japanese dates were the first to feature Jeff Beck’s new backing band of Jonathan Joseph (drums), Nicolas Meier (guitars) and Rhonda Smith (bass) and the setlist includes some material from his new, as yet unreleased, studio album. In contrast to Beck’s previous visual releases, both filmed in small clubs, “Live In Tokyo” is filmed in a major concert arena and has a very different, more expansive feel. Jeff Beck is a true guitar legend and this show captures him at his very best.

Available November 24th

1) Loaded 2) Little Wing 3) You Know You Know 4) Hammerhead 5) Angel (Footsteps) 6) Stratus 7) Yemin 8) Where Were You 9) The Pump 10) Medley: Goodbye Pork Pie Hat / Brush With The Blues 11) You Never Know 12) Danny Boy 13) Blue Wind 14) Led Boots 15) Corpus Christi 16) Big Block 17) A Day In The Life 18) Rollin’ And Tumblin’ 19) Cause We Ended As Lovers 20) Why Give It Away

• 4 months later...

AXS channel tonight....Jeff Beck: Live in Tokyo. I have the DVD, but the DVR is set as well:-)

Jeff Beck is undeniably one of the world’s greatest guitar players. Filmed at the Tokyo Dome City Hall in Japan on April 9th 2014, and the setlist includes some freshly minted songs that fans will never have heard before. Tune in Sunday, March 1 at 8pET | 5pPT on AXS TV!

Edited by Deborah J

• 3 weeks later...
Clapton and Big Town Playboys added to Special Edition

Jeff Beck is to release an expanded version of his 2007 live package recorded at Ronnie Scott's.

The 2CD/3LP Performing This Week…Live At Ronnie Scott’s – Special Edition is issued on June 1 via Eagle Rock and delivers full audio from the London shows for the first time, adding a pair of tracks with guest Eric Clapton as well as the full seven-song set with the rhythm and blues revival outfit The Big Town Playboys – previously only available on the 2009 companion Blu-ray release.

http://www.teamrock.com/news/2015-03-20/jeff-beck-expands-live-at-ronnie-scott-s-package

• 5 weeks later...

Jeff Beck is the greatest guitarist working today.

He proved that Sunday night at the sold-out Orpheum, with a white-hot performance that proved the 70-year-old Brit can still play any damn style of music he chooses and play it well. One minute bluesy power chords are charging out of his trusty white Stratocaster, the next he's coaxing out Indian and Middle Eastern sounds, then a bit of classical music or jazz, then prog rock. And his personality shines through on every solo, irascible at times, then mournful and romantic or cheekily witty at others. And he makes it look so easy: no silly guitar faces or showoffy, over-the-top solos.

Some would argue that Clapton, Page and Richards are his equals. Hogwash. Clapton lost the fire long ago, Page seldom tours and Richards goes through the motions as the Stones play one ginormous stadium after another.

Nope, Beck stands alone.

https://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/guestlisted/2015/04/last_best_show_jeff_beck_at_the_orpheum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, Tribal is freakin amazing!

When I want something quiet with a lot of atmosphere and texture, I reach for Mark Knopfler.  When I want something that just f**kin kicks you in the balls, I often reach for Beck.  Gotta love the dude!  Big Block still my fave of all time from him, though.

• 4 months later...

I think Jeff is a phenomenal player, but I lose interest without a vocalist. It's too bad, because of the older guitar players that play live somewhat regularly, Jeff is the best. Gotta wonder how popular he would have been, had he a powerful vocalist/songwriter.

I think Satriani falls into the same category, I enjoy him 10x more, when he's playing with Chickenfoot.