Jeff Beck Thread

eagle87

• 1 month later...

Ok. Let's get it out of the way immediately...there was no Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, or Rod Stewart appearance at Jeff Beck's 50 Years Celebration at the Hollywood Bowl last night. Axl Rose was in the house but did not make it on stage, either.

The special guests we did get were, in order of appearance:

Jan Hammer (Blue Wind, Star Cycle, among others)

Buddy Guy

Beth Hart (she stole the show with a knockout performance of "I'd Rather Go Blind" and "Purple Rain")

Billy Gibbons (Rough Boy, Company Man)

Steve Tyler (Train Kept A Rolling, Shapes of Things, Purple Rain)

The last two Jeff Beck concerts I saw were among the most boring shows I had ever seen. Crap setlists, crap playing.

Last night was a million times better. Finally, a decent band that could rock instead the wimpy pseudo jazzbos he usually tours with. More importantly, the setlist was killer.

At last he acknowledged his Yardbirds and early solo albums. "Heart Full of Soul", "Over Under Sideways Down", "For Your Love", "Beck's Bolero"...I hadn't seen him play these songs in years! The fact that he started the set with these gems gave the show a big jolt of energy right from the start.

Then Rosie Grimes came on and sang a couple from the new album..."Living in the Dark", "Scared for the Children". 

The Hammer of Jan was next and it was hard not to feel nostalgic when Jan and Jeff melded their melody lines in perfect harmony. Jan looked sort of out of place with his bald head and dad golf attire, hehe, but his fingers still work their magic.

Buddy Guy came out for his one song, and Buddy was also the opening act last night, playing a perfunctory 40 minute set.

Beth Hart was explosive. That's all there is to it. Her voice is like a hurricane. A definite highlight of the night.

Billy Gibbons was sharp and game, as always. But I was a trifle disappointed with the song choice of "Rough Boy". Of all the ZZ Top songs...

Steve Tyler was his raspy voiced mic-stand twirling self on his two numbers. When Jeff Beck fired off the train whistle beginning, I hoped in vain that Jimmy Page would finally make an appearance. But it was not to be.

"Shapes of Things" was great to hear and then Beck brought the main set to a close with an instrumental version of The Beatles' "A Day in the Life".

The night came to a close with everybody joining on the encore for Prince's "Purple Rain", with Beth Hart handling the primary vocals and Beck doing honours on the guitar solo. A splendid finale to a splendid celebration of Beck's 50 year career.

As a bonus, the show started with a nice photo montage of Jeff's career with all of his musical partners...including Jimmy.

I'll post my photos when I sort thru them....but here is one of Jeff and Billy jamming together.

20160810_222535-1.jpg

18 hours ago, Strider said:

Ok. Let's get it out of the way immediately...there was no Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, or Rod Stewart appearance at Jeff Beck's 50 Years Celebration at the Hollywood Bowl last night. Axl Rose was in the house but did not make it on stage, either.

The special guests we did get were, in order of appearance:

Jan Hammer (Blue Wind, Star Cycle, among others)

Buddy Guy

Beth Hart (she stole the show with a knockout performance of "I'd Rather Go Blind" and "Purple Rain")

Billy Gibbons (Rough Boy, Company Man)

Steve Tyler (Train Kept A Rolling, Shapes of Things, Purple Rain)

The last two Jeff Beck concerts I saw were among the most boring shows I had ever seen. Crap setlists, crap playing.

Last night was a million times better. Finally, a decent band that could rock instead the wimpy pseudo jazzbos he usually tours with. More importantly, the setlist was killer.

At last he acknowledged his Yardbirds and early solo albums. "Heart Full of Soul", "Over Under Sideways Down", "For Your Love", "Beck's Bolero"...I hadn't seen him play these songs in years! The fact that he started the set with these gems gave the show a big jolt of energy right from the start.

Then Rosie Grimes came on and sang a couple from the new album..."Living in the Dark", "Scared for the Children". 

The Hammer of Jan was next and it was hard not to feel nostalgic when Jan and Jeff melded their melody lines in perfect harmony. Jan looked sort of out of place with his bald head and dad golf attire, hehe, but his fingers still work their magic.

Buddy Guy came out for his one song, and Buddy was also the opening act last night, playing a perfunctory 40 minute set.

Beth Hart was explosive. That's all there is to it. Her voice is like a hurricane. A definite highlight of the night.

Billy Gibbons was sharp and game, as always. But I was a trifle disappointed with the song choice of "Rough Boy". Of all the ZZ Top songs...

Steve Tyler was his raspy voiced mic-stand twirling self on his two numbers. When Jeff Beck fired off the train whistle beginning, I hoped in vain that Jimmy Page would finally make an appearance. But it was not to be.

"Shapes of Things" was great to hear and then Beck brought the main set to a close with an instrumental version of The Beatles' "A Day in the Life".

The night came to a close with everybody joining on the encore for Prince's "Purple Rain", with Beth Hart handling the primary vocals and Beck doing honours on the guitar solo. A splendid finale to a splendid celebration of Beck's 50 year career.

As a bonus, the show started with a nice photo montage of Jeff's career with all of his musical partners...including Jimmy.

I'll post my photos when I sort thru them....but here is one of Jeff and Billy jamming together.

20160810_222535-1.jpg

Now there's a gig I would have loved to have been at, though to be honest after watching a video of Beth Hart singing "Purple Rain" I would have preferred JB to have played it as an instrumental. Then again audience videos shot on mobile/Cell phone cannot accurately represent the sound heard in the arena. Great review though S, thank you. 

6 hours ago, JTM said:

Now there's a gig I would have loved to have been at, though to be honest after watching a video of Beth Hart singing "Purple Rain" I would have preferred JB to have played it as an instrumental. Then again audience videos shot on mobile/Cell phone cannot accurately represent the sound heard in the arena. Great review though S, thank you. 

5 hours ago, in_the_evening said:

Yes,Def a great review.  Loved Beth when she would perform Morning Dew with JB.  What a voice!

Thanks guys. I forgot a few songs in my rundown..."Morning Dew" being one of them. That, along with the Yardbirds tunes were sung by the curly-haired ginger, whose name I cannot quite recall...James Hall? Or Johnny Hall?

Found my photos...somehow my phone disorganized them and they got mixed up with my Radiohead photos.

20160810_195240.jpg

Buddy Guy:

20160810_200751.jpg

20160810_220541-1.jpg

Billy Gibbons:

20160810_222030-1.jpg

20160810_222053-1.jpg

Jeff's and his cream Strat:

20160810_213723.jpg

20160810_213726.jpg

20160810_213730.jpg

20160810_213732.jpg

I love Jeff Beck, but I really dislike his latest record. Rosie Bones does nothing for me and couldn't possibly have anything in common with Jeff Beck, and it shows.    Also, the production, to my ears is garbage, especially the drums. Sounds like Jeff's having a mid-life crisis at the age of 72. Either that or Rosie Bones has a really nice rack! Thats Jeff for ya....

'Save The Children' is probably the worst title of a song in the history of song titles...no....its thee worst. 

This is Jeff Beck's protest album, I get it. Hopefully, he's gotten that out of his system, cause its really pretty silly IMO.

O.I.L. - :lol: yep, Rosie Bones must have a nice rack, stupidest lyrics ever candidate right there.

Get your flame on folks. But understand I've been listening to Beck for about 40 yrs and have seen him live 6 times before anyone tells me about Jeff Beck and his abilities. He's not beyond criticism so try not to freak out on me. This is my opinion. 

On 8/11/2016 at 6:37 PM, Strider said:

Beth Hart (she stole the show with a knockout performance of "I'd Rather Go Blind"

...instead the wimpy pseudo jazzbos he usually tours with. More importantly, the setlist was killer....

Really wish you had a gig writing reviews...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just picked up a pair of tickets for imo absolutely the best venue in my area to see Jeff Beck at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix, also known as the Theater in the Round Saturday, July 21st! Such an excellent concert venue some of the best concerts I've experienced were at that venue.

Edited by luvlz2