Whisky Tread

eagle87

Matt now im thirsty, this is the new Whisky thread.

My favourites:

Jack Daniels

jack_daniels.jpg

Isn't that a great photo?

-Black Label

-Green Label

-Red Label.... well all the Johnnie Walker Whiskys, but i don't realy like the Swing

-Jameson

-JIM BEAM of curse

-Chivas Regal

-Grand Old Parr

For now that's it... Im looking for me.

My favourites:

Jack Daniels

jack_daniels.jpg

-Black Label

-Green Label

-Red Label.... well all the Johnnie Walker Whiskys, but i don't realy like the Swing

-Jameson

-JIM BEAM of curse

-Chivas Regal

-Grand Old Parr

Ahhh, great thread!! Funny though, cuz I don't like any Johnny Walkers. I'm no expert but aren't they scotch? I never understood how I could LOOOOVE Jack Daniels (technically a sour mash I believe) and bourbon's but could never really get a taste for scotch. Knob Creek has a nice bourbon too...

Second that.. Great Thread...

Eh, and I dont mean to be a snob about it but these last few months the only whisky for me has been Gentleman Jack. :P

I've had whisky off and on, but never much paid much attention to the stuff. I got curious when I saw a trvel show about Scotland and they talked about the history of Scotch whisky. Next day I found myself at the local liquor store taking a crash course from the owner. It's always been a kind of mystery to me but once I started looking at the shelves it made sense

Other than the quality of the distillery there are two things that drive price.

* * Scotch from a single barrel is more expensive than scotch from a blend of many barrels

* * Scotch aged 12 years or more is more expsnsive than the fresh Scotch.

That makes four levels of scotch to choose from.

I figured a 12 year old aged blend would be a good starter. I thought a single barrel would be risky lol. I picked Dewar's out of brand recognition. Might be interesting to try one of those bottles from obscure Scottish distilleries, but that is for another day. I can't say I cared for the Dewars bottle though. A little bitter and very hot, like drinking medicinal firewater. I would have liked it better had it not been bitter. I imagine it's an aquired taste.

I much prefer Sour Mash, there is definitely something to the charcoal filtering, Gentleman Jack is made the same as the regular stuff, only its filtered twice.

So thats my knowledge so far. Next up in the Study Lab - BOURBON.

I haven't drunk whiskey since my 19th birthday 32 years now. I got so drunk on Bells that after that I just couldn't stand the smell of it. It reminds me of that night and makes me feel sick.

I do however love southern comfort B)

I haven't had whiskey in a long time. I can't drink it anymore. It's disgusting to me.

The buzz can be excellent though. It is quite a special buzz, depending of course on the type.

I tried to drink some several months ago. I poured a cup, took one sip, and poured it back in the bottle. Couldn't drink it.

I used to drink Jack Daniel's a lot. It was one of my primary drinks, especially when going out. A few shots of Jack, plus Jack and cokes would be what I would drink.

Don't have a lot of experience with whiskey. Some of my buddies are really into Jack Daniels and Makers Mark, mainly drinking it with Coke.

But the most drunk I ever got in my life was 10 years ago at a wedding, drinking "7 & 7's". I drank about 15 of them, threw up in the bathroom during the reception, and "freaked" the bride and groom on the dance floor :lol:

The only hard alcohol i have drank and will ever drink will be

29466.jpg

I do not have one of those stupid stories how i drank a fifth of SoCo like every high school cheerleader has, but i do know i have always token a shot of Johnny Walker Black on my birthday since i was legal and will continue to do so. I haven't had a birthday party since i was five and i don't believe i ever got lucky on my birthday, but Mr. Walker was always there.

Hi all,

eagle87! that's it,a good shot of Jack and a fine beer,..... :D

Or Gentlemen Jack,.... :blink::yay:

My favourites:

Jack Daniels

jack_daniels.jpg

-Black Label

-Green Label

-Jameson

-JIM BEAM of curse

-Chivas Regal

-Grand Old Parr

Cheer,Prost,salute,....over the teeth and through the gums,look-out stomach,here it comes! :drunk:

KB

Edited by zepyep

a 15 year old Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich for me...single malt matured in Sherry casks I believe.

Failing that a glass of Penderyn single malt from my native Wales

Now yer talking about real Scotch! Yeah, let me say, I'm still being educated by my local wine and spirits owner! It's rather intimidating to start trying to choose a Scotch. I work with a real affecianodo and apparently 'area' is very big...peaty vs. mossy....too refined for me, just give me that bourbon or sour mash!!!

Ahahaha! Whoever posted (sorry can't remember) about hating whiskey due to over indulgence but loving Southern Comfort...exact opposite of me...after an early adulthood experienc of drinking an entire pint (young and inexperienced, LOL!) of Southern Comfort with Coke (a Cola) shot chasers....the smell of Southern Comfort still makes me want to regurgitate....it's one of those things that tastes way better going down than up.... :lol:

And Yes...personally wholeheartedly agree with the Makers Mark assessment...good shit!

Muah to all of us 'hard cores'...(in actuality...age has rendered me a lightweight but sometime I still feel a need to jump in the game!)

The only hard alcohol i have drank and will ever drink will be

29466.jpg

I do not have one of those stupid stories how i drank a fifth of SoCo like every high school cheerleader has, but i do know i have always token a shot of Johnny Walker Black on my birthday since i was legal and will continue to do so. I haven't had a birthday party since i was five and i don't believe i ever got lucky on my birthday, but Mr. Walker was always there.

Ahahaha!!! Love it!! I just read this! Highschool cheerleader....LOL! Close...but I dropped out in 9th grade to persue my partying interests! :D

I'll drink whiskey every once in awhile if i'm tired of drinking beer. Bought a few bottles over the years and the hangovers are less as they say, but depressing to a degree, out at a bar, or an open bar at a wedding, i'll have a few glasses.

I have a full bar in the basement, and will turn to various other spirits in emergencies where the Sambuca runs out. I'm starting to get quite proficient at drinking Jack Daniels, but still find German beer much more satisfying. A cop friend of mine was involved in some investigation where they found hundreds of airplane sized bottles of Black Label and Chivas hidden in a building, years ago. Needless to say, that evidence never made it back to the station. I still have about 20 bottles, but save these specialties for guests.

Cant drink the bourbons anymore, to bad of a hangover. Johnny Walker Black "was" my poison... beautiful tasting poison... but I liked it too much. An occassional tipple when there's something worth celebrating, but that's it. I also like Cragganmore & Maccallans', nice blended Scotchs'.

Crown Royal for Hickory Man. :beer: << pretend it's whiskey.....

Only trouble with Crown is when you get up you're feet forget to move :lol:

c0b8cd12.gif

Now yer talking about real Scotch! Yeah, let me say, I'm still being educated by my local wine and spirits owner! It's rather intimidating to start trying to choose a Scotch. I work with a real affecianodo and apparently 'area' is very big...peaty vs. mossy....too refined for me, just give me that bourbon or sour mash!!!

Ahahaha! Whoever posted (sorry can't remember) about hating whiskey due to over indulgence but loving Southern Comfort...exact opposite of me...after an early adulthood experienc of drinking an entire pint (young and inexperienced, LOL!) of Southern Comfort with Coke (a Cola) shot chasers....the smell of Southern Comfort still makes me want to regurgitate....it's one of those things that tastes way better going down than up.... :lol:

And Yes...personally wholeheartedly agree with the Makers Mark assessment...good shit!

Muah to all of us 'hard cores'...(in actuality...age has rendered me a lightweight but sometime I still feel a need to jump in the game!)

Boy do I have a story B)

Edited by Dzldoc

I have a full bar in the basement, and will turn to various other spirits in emergencies where the Sambuca runs out. I'm starting to get quite proficient at drinking Jack Daniels, but still find German beer much more satisfying. A cop friend of mine was involved in some investigation where they found hundreds of airplane sized bottles of Black Label and Chivas hidden in a building, years ago. Needless to say, that evidence never made it back to the station. I still have about 20 bottles, but save these specialties for guests.

Ahahaha!! I was almost denied entrance at the door for Elton John in Vegas because I refused to relinquish my airplane bottle of JD...in all the fuss they didn't even notice my camera, Ahahahahaa!!

I love those airplane bottles when I go to the city though, the poor guys on the street love them more than anything! Give them a smoke and an airplane bottle and you've mad someone a happy camper.

You ain't kidding, there! The last time I got off the train for a concert in the city, I was grabbing a sip from one of my little hootch bottles, and some poor homeless guy came right up to me and asked if I had one for him? Not only did we chug back one together, but I shared half my chicken hero, too. The Beacon theater has a full bar anyway, why not?

Two shots of Bourbon in a glass with Coke and ice.....very refreshing indeed!! That will take the edge off of a stressfull day at the office. Makers Mark is good stuff, really good, but it costs about ten dollars more per bottle than 101 proof wild turkey.

BTW, I too managed to vomit when I was a junior in high school after drinking way too much southern comfort.

I can also attest that for years afterwards the smell of it makes you want to throw up again.

Technically Southern Comfort is not a Bourbon, but apparently is very poplular for all the wrong reasons.

You ain't kidding, there! The last time I got off the train for a concert in the city, I was grabbing a sip from one of my little hootch bottles, and some poor homeless guy came right up to me and asked if I had one for him? Not only did we chug back one together, but I shared half my chicken hero, too. The Beacon theater has a full bar anyway, why not?

Now yer my kinda person! I used to date a guy that had money coming out his ass and was very, very generous with me...but he could walk right by anyone on the street that was in 'need'. I shoulda known the first time I saw him do that (during the Yule season no less!) that he was an idiot. He said he was 'immune' because he worked in the city every day....I don't know how one becomes 'immune' to human suffering....

Now yer my kinda person! I used to date a guy that had money coming out his ass

Nothing close to that happening for me, last I checked before flushing. If you drink enough black Sabuca Nera, there is a greenish tint - but you really have to do at least 3/4 of the bottle. The payback probably wouldn't cover the original cost.

(*Am I still on your "friends" list?)