The Jazz Thread

Alright, I checked the place and there's no jazz thread. I wonder why?

Well, I've gotten into jazz over the past three months and it's amazing me more and more. I've gotten into a lot of the good oldies like Miles Davis, Theolonius Monk, John Coltrane, Art Blakey, Charles Mingus and a few others I can't think of right now.

My first jazz album was Kind of Blue (go figure) but it didn't click for me at first, but I listened to Miles' jazz fusion stuff first (In A Silent Way and Jack Johnson) and it was great, but then I decided to give the older jazz a try again and now I love it to death.

I really really really love the hard bop jazz albums, but I also enjoy jazz albums like Porgy and Bess by Miles.

Ok, cool cats, discuss.

Great thread!

I love jazz, especially the older forms of jazz, like Hard Bop and Be Bop.

I first got into jazz when I listened to organist Jimmy Smith, which is quite popular within the Mod and Acid Jazz scene. Later I went to listen to artists like Thelonious Monk, Mose Alison, Canonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Stan Getz, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Django Reinhardt and Oscar Peterson.

I love lots of jazz too, but you guys are making me smile by calling bop "old" jazz. Ok - so it's 40 or 50 years old, but there's great stuff from way before then.

One of my personal faves is the great Louie Armstrong who influenced everybody who ever played music & called it jazz. He was cutting records in the 1920s & continued playing & recording untill his death in the 1970s.

He was one of the finest improvisors ever, and although his style is very different from some of the things that came after few people have ever been as able to to take a tune & come up with limitless spontaneous variations. If you drew up a "family tree" of jazz, Armstrong would make up a large part of the trunk that holds it all together, & is where it all comes from.

He's still required listening for anyone who aspires to play jazz trumpet, or who just loves great music.

• 4 weeks later...

This has been a very jazz week for me so far. Listening to lots of Mingus and Coltrane. Might include Davis if I can get some room on my laptop.

I listened to the so called great "Mingus Ah Um" and was kinda disappointed, and to me, (so far) The Clown and Charles Mingus Presents Charles Mingus are the best Mingus albums I've heard.

Coltrane? Gonna listen to Sun Ship and Meditations (which is what I have left on here) I might listen to A Love Supreme again. I think that's possibly the best jazz album ever.

I like...

Jeff Beck

The Mahavishnu Orchestra

Kyoto Jazz Massive

Jazzanova

Miles Davis

John McLaughlin (Solo)

Amongst others, but those are the major ones.

Kyoto Jazz Massive and Jazzanova are what's called "Nu-Jazz" (Stupid term I know) but they are absolutely amazing and you should check them out right away. KJM adds some pyschedelic elements to their music as well.

Topic of jazz fusion, eh?

Well, I have to say that Miles' album "Dark Magus" is absolutely insane. And Return to Forever is great too, although I wish I had more. I'm soon to listen to Chick Corea's "My Spanish Heart" which I hear is excellent.

In the late 1980's into the early 1990's i was into some of the popular new age jazz music. Favorites were Pat Metheny (guitarist), Jon Luc Ponty (violinist) , David Lanz (pianist) and Spyro Gyro. Saw them all live, Pat and Spyro Gyro seven times each. Oh did i forget, i saw Kenny G, too (lol, well i did).

I haven't listened to any recently, but it's definitely feel good music. Just look at all the happy people wandering around in the French Quarter.

• 1 year later...

I've recently discovered a lady in jazz, Abbey Lincoln. She used to be married with drummer Max Roach back in the 50's and 60's. Together they recorded several great albums. Her voice and vocal style is a treat, very moving and "real" I think. I got the Abbey is blue album which is a really great album that was released on Riverside in 1959. Next album I have to check out is Max Roach's Freedom Now Suit; We Insist! from 1961. It's a real strong album with excellent performances of Abbey, Max, Coleman Hawkins, Booker Little and Julian Priester.

d96113kidc3.jpg

Check out these tracks from We Insist, Abbey and the band is just amazing:

Driva Man & Tears For Johannesburg

Prayer & Peace

All Africa

Freedom Day

I also want to get her album, Straight Ahead from 1961. It seems like an awesome album too.

e34295x0dxj.jpg

This song is really beautiful and haunting at the same time:

Left Alone

Topic of jazz fusion, eh?

Well, I have to say that Miles' album "Dark Magus" is absolutely insane. And Return to Forever is great too, although I wish I had more. I'm soon to listen to Chick Corea's "My Spanish Heart" which I hear is excellent.

Yeah that albums about as scary as jazz fusion gets, not too far from krautrock. I didnt actually think Miles earlier fusion stuff worked aswell live, needed editting in the studio to give it direction IMHO but he'd hit some great form just before he went into retirement.

Alright, I checked the place and there's no jazz thread. I wonder why?

Well, I've gotten into jazz over the past three months and it's amazing me more and more. I've gotten into a lot of the good oldies like Miles Davis, Theolonius Monk, John Coltrane, Art Blakey, Charles Mingus and a few others I can't think of right now.

My first jazz album was Kind of Blue (go figure) but it didn't click for me at first, but I listened to Miles' jazz fusion stuff first (In A Silent Way and Jack Johnson) and it was great, but then I decided to give the older jazz a try again and now I love it to death.

I really really really love the hard bop jazz albums, but I also enjoy jazz albums like Porgy and Bess by Miles.

Ok, cool cats, discuss.

may i suggest an album: mingus ah um, by charles mingus...you maybe able to listen to it without purchasing on spotilfy.

A cool album just released this year is Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra's Take Off! One of my favorite releases of '09 in general.

Andromeda%20Mega%20Express%20Orchestra_Take%20Off_880918038124.jpg

I certainly don't expect it to receive attention on this board, as it has nothing to do with most of the stuff discussed here, but it's extraordinary fun and a relatively new take on cinematic jazz, lying somewhere between Steve Reich and Glenn Miller. It is certainly appealing for anyone with the open mindedness to listen.

If your looking to get a modern Jazz album and like King of Blue I'd definately recommend Lontano by the Tomasz Stanko Quartet.

30rs8cl.jpg

The three long versions of the title track are free jazz but generally pretty relaxed and quiet catchy. The other half(which is still an albums worth of material by vinyl stanards since it fills the CD like alot of ECM releases) is much more composed and really does sound like a modern minalistic sucessor to Kind of Blue.

a great jazz thread on a rock forum is so hard to find. leave it to ledzeppelin.com....

my mother was a jazz fan. born not 70 miles from new orleans, she knew some good sounds when she heard them. her faves were the big swing bands: benny goodman, duke ellington, count basie...all good songs, arrangements and performances. and it lit me up righteously.

there were also some great vocalists in that genre: billie holliday, anita o'day, ella fitzgerald (my personal favorite).

i think the release of the film "the sting" (1973)and it's propulsion of ragtime into the mainstream turned me on to scott joplin. the music was fabulous if you could find the obscure but i found the differences in sound were small and this made for a short-termrevelation for me.

but, then came miles. as i began to appreciate my parents record collection even more in my high school years, i found my mom's columbia miles collection: milestones, kinda blue, seven steps to heaven, sketches of spain. man, this made me a bebop and cool jazz fan for the rest of my life.

miles caused me to look around him and look backwards: charlie parker, coltrane, diz, johnny hodges, cannonball, bill evans. there was alot of great music in the 50's and 60's.

now, i'm loving several segments of this music and had been for years. but one epiphany remained: pops.

after a week of overspending my psychic and physical resources, i shambled onto a jet taking me from chicago to dallas. i looked a wreck and had an aisle seat which allowed me to stick my oversized legs into the aisle. all i wanted was to be able to nap and ride out the tarmac delay. it was louis armstrongs 100th birthday. i put the headphones on and there was a wonderful program being played that lasted several hours and took me from the hot 5 and hot 7 to all points outward in his career. the music stilled my soul and gave it repose. i walked off of the plane having had the finger of God directing the concert in my mind. pops' music literally did that for me and i have been a huge fan ever since.

Edited by beatbo

I really dig Miles Davis the most. He's the one that really turned me onto Jazz. I would say John Coltrane's probably a close second along with Sun Ra. Sun Ra's stuff is really underrated and his wealth of material is extraordinary. B)

• 1 year later...

John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Pharaoh Sanders, Anthony Braxton,Freddie Hubbard, Miles (both acoustic and electric), Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, Pat Martino, Joe Henderson..........the list is literally endless for me.

I am developing an appreciation for jazz lately, having been a subscriber to Alex Skolnick's blog. This is definitely not a genre I have ever paid much attention to, so I feel a little late to the party!

Check this out:

• 10 months later...