Talking with Robert Plant

misty mountain

i respect him for being true to himself....good for him, he's happy. i can understand why he prefers not to look back...i mean, in a sick and twisted sense, its like if i were to go to my high school reunion in my cheerleading uniform...i mean, i would feel rather rediculous when my life is obviously no longer about that anymore, i am no longer that kid anymore (well, not entirely). i know its a stretch, but if you think of it in a way you can relate to it, you may better understand, i think, his decision process and then come to the conclusion that perhaps he is making the best choice for all of us. i was too young to see Zep live back in the day (I was born in 70), and maybe its best if it were all kept as a "mystery" as he explains in that article.

Looking forward to seeing Robert/Alison & T-Bone and Band in Atlanta (july 10th).

Also, looking forward to seeing Foreigner (hopefully with Jason on drums) along with Bryan Adams in Atlanta (july 20th)...

We'll see what the future holds for any Zeppelin one-offs (when and where remain to be seen...)

I can see more Plant/Krauss work to come (not sure about another tour with them after this one, though... we'll see). Plant goes in so many directions (which is cool). What I wonder about is how Alison will feel after a year or so touring with Robert. Will she need some time to herself and her own solo stuff again with the Union Station or is she ready to keep this train rolling, too... (if not, it could open some more opportunities for Plant)...

R B)

i respect him for being true to himself....good for him, he's happy. i can understand why he prefers not to look back...i mean, in a sick and twisted sense, its like if i were to go to my high school reunion in my cheerleading uniform...i mean, i would feel rather rediculous when my life is obviously no longer about that anymore, i am no longer that kid anymore (well, not entirely). i know its a stretch, but if you think of it in a way you can relate to it, you may better understand, i think, his decision process and then come to the conclusion that perhaps he is making the best choice for all of us. i was too young to see Zep live back in the day (I was born in 70), and maybe its best if it were all kept as a "mystery" as he explains in that article.

[/quote

One of the best and most realistic posts on this board when it comes to zeppelin reuniting. Like yourself, I think robert is doing what is best for himself, at this stage of his life why shouldn't he? I say hats off to him (love raising sand)! I have no interest in seeing a reformed 2008 led zeppelin tour....especially with out john bonham on drums......it all ended sept 25th/1980...lets be realistic and leave it at that!!

Now off to listen to the australian tour 1972.....that Auckland show is a killer!! :)

Oh, the drama,

Yep, still looking at you, Zep fans. And just in case you need more: "You can't just borrow the Stones' plane," Plant says. "It's got to have a creative kernel of endeavor and whatever it is, otherwise it won't work, because Zep was about that.

"I mean, if you want the quick tug," he continues, "if you want the $5 massage or the happy ending, you know exactly how to get that. That's a pointless exercise. For me, I just want to do stuff where at the end of the night, I can turn and look at the people I'm working with and go, 'That was not just an achievement—it was one of the most heart-rending experiences I've had.' And that's what happened to me night before last."

www.villagevoice.com

Good for him. So glad to hear this from him

"For me, I just want to do stuff where at the end of the night, I can turn and look at the people I'm working with and go, 'That was not just an achievement—it was one of the most heart-rending experiences I've had.' And that's what happened to me night before last."

The "night before last," Plant and Krauss (and T-Bone and company) played their second show in Louisville, which seems to have provided Plant with everything he could ask from musical roadwork.

Hope he finds all the happiness he is looking for in the entire world!

If he couldn't find happiness at the O2 show and see all the happy faces in the audiences then maybe he'll have better luck with a second album and tour.

While on this subject I will predict right now, if he does make another cd with her, it will probably be the last. Plant's past history shows he makes 2-3 albums/cds with a group of musicians and moves on. Plant will be at least 62 years old by the time that tour concludes.

And lets open another can of worms. Plant kinda of made a safe move by hooking up with Krauss. How risky was that? He needed her more than she needed him. To date, she's won a huge number of Grammy awards; 20 prior to her latest with Plant. Plant could have picked anyone else but selected a safe bet with her. Maybe he found happiness with a safe easy bet?

Thus, making a bet on a possible Zeppelin project and tour could be the risky bet. Thus, he took the safe road. Nice. Hope he is happy.

I'd say his collaboration with Alison is anything but a safe, easy bet. Look at all the articles and reviews saying "how on earth did these two hook up together?--last thing you'd expect, but it worked out great."

I don't think he "needed" her at all. I think Suz may be on to something . . . .

He continues: "You know, this motel where I just pulled in to talk to you, there's a jacket on the wall where the guy's granddaddy who owns the place got shot by the sheriff for his moonshine thing. And it's a little valley off the Cumberland Gap, and it's still all there. It's grandfathers, grandparents—it's frontier stuff. And some of the songs that we visit, the performances, you know, it's all about beginnings."

www.villagevoice.com

I'm trying to remember when the Cumberland Gap was considered the frontier; it looks as if it may have been near the year of 1810.

In 1890, the frontier line had broken up (Census maps defined the frontier line as a line beyond which the population was under 2 persons per square mile).

en.wikipedia.org

Starting around 1775, the Gap became the primary route of transit for American settlers moving west into Kentucky; between 1775 and 1810 as many as 300,000 settlers may have used the Gap.

wiki.org

171137985_958321.gif

........or, maybe he just wanted to do it because he wanted to do it. You know, because he enjoys it......... :unsure:

I agree. I remember an interview he did early on in the year - I believe it was This Morning in January - where they said to him something along the lines of "Why Alison? At this stage in your career, you could've chosen anybody in the world you wanted to work with", and his answer was "I did".

Good for him. So glad to hear this from him

"For me, I just want to do stuff where at the end of the night, I can turn and look at the people I'm working with and go, 'That was not just an achievement—it was one of the most heart-rending experiences I've had.' And that's what happened to me night before last."

The "night before last," Plant and Krauss (and T-Bone and company) played their second show in Louisville, which seems to have provided Plant with everything he could ask from musical roadwork.

Hope he finds all the happiness he is looking for in the entire world!

If he couldn't find happiness at the O2 show and see all the happy faces in the audiences then maybe he'll have better luck with a second album and tour.

While on this subject I will predict right now, if he does make another cd with her, it will probably be the last. Plant's past history shows he makes 2-3 albums/cds with a group of musicians and moves on. Plant will be at least 62 years old by the time that tour concludes.

And lets open another can of worms. Plant kinda of made a safe move by hooking up with Krauss. How risky was that? He needed her more than she needed him. To date, she's won a huge number of Grammy awards; 20 prior to her latest with Plant. Plant could have picked anyone else but selected a safe bet with her. Maybe he found happiness with a safe easy bet?

Thus, making a bet on a possible Zeppelin project and tour could be the risky bet. Thus, he took the safe road. Nice. Hope he is happy.

I don't think he took a safe road whatsoever. He's never played it safe in my opinion. Whether you like what he's done on his own or not is another issue but you can look back on all his albums and he's touched upon so many diverse areas. If he were to play it safe, he'd have done the same old thing over and over. With Raising San, he ventured into an area he's not stylistically done before and learned to sing harmony and use his voice in a much different way than he's done prior.

I don't think either of them needed each other. That's not what this was about at all. I do think he is quite happy because as he's said over the last few years in particular, at this point in his career, what he's doing has to move him or there's no point. I'm happy he's finding things that do that still.

I'm trying to remember when the Cumberland Gap was considered the frontier; it looks as if it may have been near the year of 1810.

171137985_958321.gif

Damn, hearing these quotes from him- wouldn't it be fun to go on a road trip with Percy? Hell yeah :P I'll bet he'd be a blast.

*ahem* for musical education, of course!

Well, as usual, Plant always looks out for himself...........................I know, thats fine for him. But there are other LZ band members and millions of fans out there that you would think that he could remember more then the few times he has. <_<

Live aid

Atlantic reuion

A couple of limited tours with Page on "His" terms

02 concert

I'm not impressed

Damn, hearing these quotes from him- wouldn't it be fun to go on a raod trip with Percy? Hell yeah :P I'll bet he'd be a blast.

Having grown up in this area (Cumberland Gap was crossed by Daniel Boone, dodging Indians the entire trip) I am trying to figure out how Percy could stop anywhere with that British accent and not attract a lot of attention from the locals. He is straying far from the Interstate in his travels. He must have a GPS in his vehicle. I agree wandering backroads with Percy would be a blast. I think I know the restuarant he stopped at with "wailing" bluegrass music. I hope he enjoys fried chicken, because that is what he is eating.

Living in Nashville now, it is amazing how quiet the Country music community is on this collaboration. It is being received with mainly silence, except from our local music critics that absoutely love it. I am looking forward to the Nashville show on July 19, as these country stars show up for each other and are very visible for Sommet Center shows. I think some of the country/bluegrass community is puzzled by the creative success of this project and maybe feeling pressure to go outside the box themselves.

Like many on this board, I love this Krauss collaboration, but I am torn because I am 45 years old and I dream of seeing Zeppelin live and in person before I die. I was in the "sandwich" generation, too young to take off to the city to see the shows when they were touring during my teenage years. I got left out. If I ever run into Percy in Nashville (as a couple of my officemates have), I intend to try to explain this to him. LOL!

If I ever run into Percy in Nashville (as a couple of my officemates have), I intend to try to explain this to him. LOL!

Good luck. He has proven time and time again that he could care less.

great analogy :lol:

Damn, hearing these quotes from him- wouldn't it be fun to go on a road trip with Percy? Hell yeah :P I'll bet he'd be a blast.

but of course :whistling:

Having grown up in this area (Cumberland Gap was crossed by Daniel Boone, dodging Indians the entire trip) I am trying to figure out how Percy could stop anywhere with that British accent and not attract a lot of attention from the locals. He is straying far from the Interstate in his travels. He must have a GPS in his vehicle. I agree wandering backroads with Percy would be a blast. I think I know the restuarant he stopped at with "wailing" bluegrass music. I hope he enjoys fried chicken, because that is what he is eating.

Living in Nashville now, it is amazing how quiet the Country music community is on this collaboration. It is being received with mainly silence, except from our local music critics that absoutely love it. I am looking forward to the Nashville show on July 19, as these country stars show up for each other and are very visible for Sommet Center shows. I think some of the country/bluegrass community is puzzled by the creative success of this project and maybe feeling pressure to go outside the box themselves.

This is very interesting. Do you think it's just that the cheestastic stuff is what people want more of in Nashville? Or do you think it's because they're wary of Plant? Feel free to tell me if I'm talking out of my ass. I don't know much about the country music scene. I like bluegrass, though.

Learning about the origins of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6p11TrVOrE.

171161323_451545.gif

You can go on Youtube and find some videos of Earl Scruggs and Steve Martin blazing through Foggy Mountain breakdown. Earl Scruggs is considered the best banjo player alive, but he has cut down his concert appearances because he is in his 80s, I think.

I have a cousin that plays in a local rock band and is quite proficient on lead guitar (he is no Page or Clapton of course) and he tells me that playing a banjo, technically, is much more difficult than mastering guitar. He isn't into Bluegrass but he took on the banjo as a challenge. I think it lasted two weeks. I think he sold it on Ebay.

I caught the opening night in Louisville and you can tell Percy is enjoying the other musicians as much as he is enjoying singing with Allison.

This is very interesting. Do you think it's just that the cheestastic stuff is what people want more of in Nashville? Or do you think it's because they're wary of Plant? Feel free to tell me if I'm talking out of my ass. I don't know much about the country music scene. I like bluegrass, though.

With music sales down in general, I think the sales volume has stunned the country industry. They saw this as a project that would appeal to a tightly-defined niche audience. Then, both local country and rock stations gave "GGG" heavy airplay here in Nashville and the critics all went wild for the project. I simply think the project appeal to the music-purchasing public caught the old guard "off-guard", ie. a little bit of professional jealousy maybe.

There also may be a little suspicion of Plant, because he has been hanging out in Nashville quite a bit. You have an undercurrent of "Is this really a professional relationship or a romantic joint venture?" Keep in mind Nashville is a gossping town, however Krauss is extemely guarded and private (she even homeschools her 7 year old), and the two of them have not been seen together at all unless they are conducting business or filming related to Raising Sand. When there have been Plant sightings out at the local eateries AK is never with him, and AK as a rule never ventures out of her house unless she is doing a show, even pre-Plant. You see all the other stars out and about, and Nashville people tend to leave them alone in public. (I have seen Brad Paisley shop at the local Pet Supermarket just last month and nobody approached him). But AK is a closed book. This contributes to the mystique of it all....people feel they don't really know what is driving this bus, or how long the bus will last.

Personally, I think the union is driven by creativity, (just my opinion). However, I need one live LZ show before I die.

Archived