Talking with Robert Plant

misty mountain

That's so true, many of those people are perfectly happy being isolated.

'course they DO have that shine cookin'...makes the mountain life a wee better.

And....as a lil trivia...that IS where Nascar actually started. From liqour runs in the hills. Fascinating history actually.

I'd like to know more about his "Appalachian travels" So far all I've heard is him hanging in Nashville, and flying over Kentucky. Oh, and stopping by a lake. :huh:

To really feel the flavor of these rootsy grass stuff, you need to spend some time there, among the people that are truly up in those hills and crawl out occasionally to jam with neighbors. One holler to another.

I think Jonsey has one up on him in this arena.

Jonsey may be up on him.

RP confirmed stop at New Haven KY eatery en route to show number 1 in Louisville, ended up in local paper. Ate Beans and cornbread and signed autographs. I think it may have even appeared on this forum, a copy of the article from the local paper.

Drove through Cumberland Gap en route to Knoxville and confirmed sighting at Webbs (where he also probably found "wailing" music which he referred to in an interview).

I don't know which lake he stopped at near Chatanooga. I can't even spell the city. I am sure some Tennessee natives can figure it out.

He is not flying. He was not, at that time, traveling by bus. He was traveling, at that time, in a SUV with a female assistant. Not Allison. There was no sign of Allison.

I have several friends that play Bluegrass non-professionally and they would be honored to have Robert over for a pickin' session.

I would not recommend hiking for anyone unless they are experienced. I am hearing the copperheads are really thick this year.

That's so true, many of those people are perfectly happy being isolated.

'course they DO have that shine cookin'...makes the mountain life a wee better.

And....as a lil trivia...that IS where Nascar actually started. From liqour runs in the hills. Fascinating history actually.

You are correct Hotplant. Moonshiners and bootleggers were the first auto racers.

Unfortunately, the younger generation is not learning the art of making moonshine, they see it as too much trouble. My home county in KY is down to one moonshiner and he is old. The younger generation would rather grow pot or cook meth because it is quicker or less trouble. It is a shame, sort of.

The only place I know where you can still find moonshine in good supply is Cocke County, Tennessee, in the Smoky Mountains between Knoxville and Asheville, NC. You can find a lot of other stuff in Cocke County too. Anything you want........

I reckon that Robert Plant finds lots of music out there.

There are the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhRn2kiKXq0, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjHz5vrErWo, and the Queen Family.

In the days of the old covered wagons,

where they camped on the flats for the night;

With the moon shining dim on the old canyon rim,

they watched for that Brown Mountain light

High, high on the mountain, and deep in the canyon below

It shines like the crown of an angel, and fades as the mists comes and goes.

Way over yonder, night after night until dawn,

A lonely old slave comes back from the grave,

Searching, searching, searching, for his master who's long gone on.

Many years ago a southern planter

Came hunting in this wild world alone

It was then so they say that the planter lost his way

And never returned to his home

His trusting old slave brought a lantern

And searched day and night but in vain

Now the old slave is gone but his spirit lingers on,

And the lantern still casts its light

171161323_451545.gif178355755_106063.gif

A faithful old slave comes back from his grave

searching searching searching

for his Master who's long long gone

Eternal Light, that was really bad. :unsure: I feel even worse because I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :blink: Oddly enough, I was listening to Captain Beefheart singing "give me that old time religion" when I saw your post. Just made it even more disturbing.

Plant, meanwhile, says performing the album's rootsy music, as well as revamped versions of some Led Zeppelin songs, live has "become quite an illumination, really. What has been created with the chemistry between the three of us has its down kind of genre, really. I'm a very fortunate man. I couldn't wish for anything better than this."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003816015

Eternal Light:

I am sorry that this whole Bluegrass thing bothers you so much. I can assure you that I have never heard of these obsolete family Bluegrass bands you have provided clips for, and I don't think you will have to listen to Alison and Robert perform this particular song. I grew up in deep Appalachia and I have never heard of this song. I have never seen a slave either. You must have really spent a lot of time in research on this. I admire your Google skills. You are really smart!

I have heard what Robert Plant has had to say quite a bit over the years. There's not a whole lot that he does or says that surprises me, but the Queen Family are from North Carolina so you would not have heard them unless you ventured far from Kentucky.

The mountains of Appalachia are home to a folk music tradition

that traces its roots to England, Scotland and Ireland. Picking up the

African banjo and other influences in its evolution, this tradition gave

rise to gospel, bluegrass and country music. The recipients of the

North Carolina Folk Heritage Award, the prestigious Brown-Hudson

Folklore Award, and many other honors, the Queen family of Western

North Carolina have become icons of Southern Appalachian culture.

Mary Jane Queen is one of the few keepers of the traditional Appalachian ballads. Her performances capture the authentic style and charm of true folk music.

http://www.talkingnc.com/newpages/queenfamily.htm

Traditional Appalachian music roots run deep for mountain folk musician Henry Queen and his natural music making family of southern Appalachia.

http://homepage.mac.com/henryqueen1/Menu5.html

In 1935 Claude Henry Queen married Mary Jane Prince, thus joining two of the Appalachian mountain's most gifted music making families together, starting another generation of all musical children. Learning ballads, guitar, banjo and fiddle tunes from their forefathers, the Queen family continues the tradition of playing and singing the southern Appalachian mountain folk music.

Our colonial ancestor "old" William Queen (born ca. 1720) came to North Carolina from Virginia around 1750. His oldest son William Lewis Queen was born in VA (ca. 1749) . Before 1754 William and his wife Margaret were in Bladen Co. , NC (southeastern NC).

http://homepage.mac.com/henryqueen1/QueenFamily_000.htm

"This country," Robert Plant says, "needs to hear its music."

He continues: "You know, this motel where I just pulled in to talk to you, there's a jacket on the wall where the guy's granddaddy who owns the place got shot by the sheriff for his moonshine thing. And it's a little valley off the Cumberland Gap, and it's still all there. It's grandfathers, grandparents—it's frontier stuff. And some of the songs that we visit, the performances, you know, it's all about beginnings."

http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0823,no-...,458797,22.html

Folks come from miles around to take in the wonder of Linville Falls, North Carolina. The area boasts such attractions as waterfalls, Linville Gorge, Linville Caverns and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The area’s most mysterious attraction is the legendary phenomenon known as the Brown Mountain Lights.

Scotty Wiseman, a popular musician originally from Spruce Pine, North Carolina, wrote the hit song “Brown Mountain Light” about the mysterious lights seen at night near Linville Falls.

The Brown Mountain Lights Heritage Festival also is a chance for the area to honor the local Wiseman Family. Lafayette “Fate” Wiseman was one of the first people to tell the outside world about the lights and passed down his tales to his great-nephew, musician Scotty Wiseman. The younger Wiseman even had a hit with his song about the phenomenon, “Brown Mountain Light” in the 1960s.

The song is one of many written or made popular by Scotty Wiseman, a professional musician born in Spruce Pine in 1909. As a duo with his wife Myrtle “Lulu Belle” Wiseman, Scotty became famous through his original songs such as “Have I Told You Lately That I Love You,” and through the duo’s appearance in seven feature-length Hollywood movies. Scotty Wiseman passed away in 1981.

178577414_251831.gif178584533_563397.gif

http://www.mountaintimes.com/mtweekly/2006...rownlights.php3

178599519_61542.gif

Brown Mountain Lights

Gene Autry, Barry Manilow, Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jim Reeves, Ringo Starr, Rod Stewart, Hank Thompson and Van Morrison recorded "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You" written by Scott Wiseman. Brown Mountain Lights was also recorded by the Country Gentlemen and the Kingston Trio.

But I would imagine that someone familiar with bluegrass from Kentucky would have heard Shady Grove or

by Jean Ritchie. The Grateful Dead also recorded Shady Grove. And being from Kentucky you probably have heard Dwight Yoakam's version of Merle Haggard's and Bonnie Owens' Today I Started Loving You Again. Merle Haggard is from Bakersfield, California. Bonnie Owens' was born in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and she died on April 24, 2006. Dwight Yoakam is from Kentucky.

Jean Ritchie (born December 8, 1922) is an American folk singer, songwriter, and Appalachian dulcimer player.

Abigail and Balis Ritchie of Viper, Perry County, Kentucky had 14 children, and Jean was the youngest. Ten girls slept in one room of the farming family's house in the Cumberland Mountains.

Jean Ritchie quickly memorized songs and performed at local dances and the country fair in Hazard. In the late forties the family acquired a radio and discovered that what they were singing was hillbilly music, a word they had never heard before. In the mid-thirties Alan Lomax recorded in Kentucky for the Library of Congress's Archive of Folk Song. Among the people he recorded were The Singing Ritchies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Ritchie

178632143_453339.gif

I wasnt trying to diss you, Eternal Light. You are a fount of good information. I just felt bad for laughing. :) Heard somewhere on this board that you write stuff for wikipedia. I was wondering if it was Zep stuff.

I'm a Kentuckian too but the western end of the state. I've lived in several states but been in ky the longest.

I wasnt trying to diss you, Eternal Light. You are a fount of good information. I just felt bad for laughing. :) Heard somewhere on this board that you write stuff for wikipedia. I was wondering if it was Zep stuff.

I'm a Kentuckian too but the western end of the state. I've lived in several states but been in ky the longest.

Thank you, Maven2Blue. I guess Captain B did the voodoo to you. I don't write for wiki though. Kentucky has quite a history. Janis Joplin sang about it in her song, Me and Bobby McGhee.

178561936_632443.gif

From the Kentucky coal mines to the California sun

there Bobby shared the secrets of my soul

-Kris Kristofferson

Thank you, Aqua.

Thank you, Maven2Blue. I guess Captain B did the voodoo to you. I don't write for wiki though. Kentucky has quite a history. Janis Joplin sang about it in her song, Me and Bobby McGhee.

178561936_632443.gif

Kris Kristofferson (sorry dude, no idea how to spell your name) wrote it, though.

I wish the guy's( minus Plant) would leave Robert in Country music, if thats what he wants to do and call Paul Rodgers or someone in his league and get on with it, before they really get too old to rock and roll. Robert's voice can't handle a tour w/ Jimmy and the boys anyway.

Igor

Who would some other examples be, then? I can't think of any, but then I'm no expert on country. (Which is probably also why I don't really understand why singing country songs is a recipe for glory.)

Bon Jovi, Kid Rock, Sheryl Crow, Jewel to name just a few.

It's a recipe for glory because people buy lots and lots of country albums, and your music is exposed to a whole new group of people who would never have purchased your album otherwise. Record saleswise, I'm sure Plant was able to sell a lot more with his country collaboration than pumping out another rock CD (that's because he's capturing new fans while still selling to his fan base who pretty much purchases anything he puts out).

Bon Jovi, Kid Rock, Sheryl Crow, Jewel to name just a few.

It's a recipe for glory because people buy lots and lots of country albums, and your music is exposed to a whole new group of people who would never have purchased your album otherwise. Record saleswise, I'm sure Plant was able to sell a lot more with his country collaboration than pumping out another rock CD (that's because he's capturing new fans while still selling to his fan base who pretty much purchases anything he puts out).

As the Grateful Dead has also done over the years with their fusion of nearly everything, including Jerry Garcia's rendition of the song from Kentucky's own Jean Ritchie,

I wish the guy's( minus Plant) would leave Robert in Country music, if thats what he wants to do and call Paul Rodgers or someone in his league and get on with it, before they really get too old to rock and roll. Robert's voice can't handle a tour w/ Jimmy and the boys anyway.

Igor

:huh: He seems to handle his own tours OK, including the ones where he's the sole singer.

Question; Why do most businesses fail?

Answer: They lose focus of their mission statement. They try to 'diversify' into another market.

And such moves rarely work because companies become unfocused, confuses customers and loses money.

http://www.amazon.com/Focus-Company-Depend...0101&sr=8-1

How does this relate to Mr. Plant's latest project? Some might view his latest move to Blue Grass music the same way.

If only 50% of the venue size audience are actually showing up to his and Alison's show, I wouldn't exactly call this a success.

http://www.roanoke.com/entertainment/insid...music/wb/164374

Selling a song to JC Penny for a TV commercial for a six figure amount might offset some of the costs of studio time.

• 2 weeks later...
If only 50% of the venue size audience are actually showing up to his and Alison's show, I wouldn't exactly call this a success.

Good point Rayban123. I checked out the venues where they are playing and most are small. I was also amazed at some of the ticket prices being charged. You know, many of these "Artist's" will be the first to bash big corporations for charging too much, but when it comes to "them" making money............., all is OK.

Mc. Cain 08

Good point Rayban123. I checked out the venues where they are playing and most are small. I was also amazed at some of the ticket prices being charged. You know, many of these "Artist's" will be the first to bash big corporations charging too much, but when it comes to them making money............., all is OK.

Mc. Cain 08

Funny, nearly every show's sold out - including this week in two of the biggest cities in the U.S. (Detroit and Chicago). There wasn't an empty seat in the house at the Detroit show, I can tell you that.

Also, Robert has said he prefers playing more intimate venues to impersonal megastructures.

Good point Rayban123. I checked out the venues where they are playing and most are small. I was also amazed at some of the ticket prices being charged. You know, many of these "Artist's" will be the first to bash big corporations for charging too much, but when it comes to "them" making money............., all is OK.

This project would not translate well in a huge arena. Quite frankly the ticket prices in today's market are quite reasonably priced compared to a lot of other tours especially in relation to the fact it is extremely expensive to tour, but I guess in your mind, Robert also doesn't deserve to get paid for performing either :rolleyes:

You have taken me wrong. I think that someone should have the right to make as much money as possible. If Plant can make triple what the tickets are going for, good for him. I was just saying that many Artist's (maybe not Plant) and entertainers in general bash big bussiness all the time but never say anything about the huge profits that they make themselves.

Mc. Cain 08

I think that someone should have the right to make as much money as possible. If Plant can make triple what the tickets are going for, good for him. I was just saying that any Artist's (maybe not Plant) and entertainers in general bash big business all the time but never say anything about the huge profits that they make themselves.

If Robert Plant were motivated by money he would have sold himself out and done a by the numbers Led Zeppelin tour years ago. Frankly, I don't think commercial success means much to him either. He's been there and done that so many times, it's obvious to me he's just following his muse and enjoying the opportunity to sing new songs in unfamiliar places. Hooray for him.

Mc. Cain 08

Thats interesting about the size of the venues that RP and AK are playing in.but not surprising ;as Robert seems to feel more comfortable playing at smaller venues and can actually see the people's reaction to the songs and the sound quality would be easier to manage.As for $$$ well there seems to be a large entourage that would soak up a lot of the $$$ ;that this tour would create.Are they selling the CD at the door?

If Robert Plant were motivated by money he would have sold himself out and done a by the numbers Led Zeppelin tour years ago. Frankly, I don't think commercial success means much to him either. He's been there and done that so many times, it's obvious to me he's just following his muse and enjoying the opportunity to sing new songs in unfamiliar places. Hooray for him.

I agree, considering the supposed amounts they have been offered to reform over the years.

He's doing some similar sized venues as he has done with Strange Sensation. Mind you last year he did a SS gig in Bristol which only held about 300 people.

Here in the UK I saw 3 shows and the average price for them was £36 ( about $72) which is great value.

Some bands are charging nearly or over double that. I think our prices generally seem cheaper than the US. So they won't exactly be raking in the money on this tour.

Its not exactly a secret that he doesn't like the big arenas, he has indicated that when with Zep and epecially when he was with Jimmy.

scs will just use any excuse to attack RP.

scs will just use any excuse to attack RP.

Thats right, because I'm a big bad TROLL...................there are many good things about the smaller, more intimate venues that Plant "now" likes. I remember when he did not mind playing before stadium crowds. But now, every seat is a ringside seat.

Mc. Cain 08

Archived