Talking with Robert Plant

misty mountain

The duet album (or an album with a lot of guest stars on it like the on Santana did) is a pretty common thing for an aging recording artist to do to try to stay relevant when their individual cachet starts to wear out.

Except his wasn't wearing out.

And relevant to what? The hot new bluegrass market?

1. I Have..............many times.........Achilles last time, all time favorite

2. Like all of Coda............... it's Zep, eh'

I only get tight when Plant pulls his usual "Stuff", you know....the albatros around his neck thing, and how LZ tempermental he has been.

3. I Like 75% of all his solo work up until No Quarter...........from Yallah till now, it's been all down hill. I mean weak!

4. Hey, don't you get up tight. It's just my opinion.

Which you are entitled. Robert is also entitled to live his life whatever way he chooses.

Do you do everything people request of you? I highly doubt it.

No need to get your undies in a bundle. :o

Robert Plant has usually been temperamental over the years; that is nothing new. There is no point in whining about it now.

Indeed. To add, he is unique, healthy, happy and still very cool.

Plant is branching out and having lots of fun. That said, he is still Robert Plant and i truly believe that he will return to the Zeppelin womb for a show or 3. The haters will love him after the show and go back to hatred after he wanders away again.

And the cycle continues....

Great point! Many of us are finally tired of Plants games. He may be true to "Himself" but it sure would be nice if he would think more of the fans that got him in the position to do what ever he wants in the first place. If it were not for his LZ fame he would not be able to experiment with all of this other nonsense in the first place.

Why would any body want to associate them self with people who play banjo's in hill billy country remember (the first Male rape scene)Delliverence the movie.Cmon; Robert move on quickly before you get someone nasty behind you .and that nasty banjo player night be singing GONE GONE GONE (done moving on)

The duet album (or an album with a lot of guest stars on it like the on Santana did) is a pretty common thing for an aging recording artist to do to try to stay relevant when their individual cachet starts to wear out.

That is completely not why Robert did this album.

Why would any body want to associate them self with people who play banjo's in hill billy country remember (the first Male rape scene)Delliverence the movie.Cmon; Robert move on quickly before you get someone nasty behind you .and that nasty banjo player night be singing GONE GONE GONE (done moving on)

That is the most derogatory, stereotypical remark I've seen. You have got to be kidding. It's fine to not like the music but to label people who create it as hillbillies and rapists? Er, :wtf: I suppose by your logic since I like bluegrass music a lot, I'm either a hillbilly or a supporter of rapists. Please.... :rolleyes:

That is completely not why Robert did this album.

That is the most derogatory, stereotypical remark I've seen. You have got to be kidding. It's fine to not like the music but to label people who create it as hillbillies and rapists? Er, :wtf: I suppose by your logic since I like bluegrass music a lot, I'm either a hillbilly or a supporter of rapists. Please.... :rolleyes:

Maybe if they actually bothered to go along and see the shows he is doing with Alison they might get it!! but there again with comments like that maybe not.

Personally speaking it was one of the best shows I've seen for many years and I can't say I've ever listened to Bluegrass music. Anyhoo thats besides the point, what he chooses to do or not to do is surely up the great man himself I think he's earned it.

Maybe if they actually bothered to go along and see the shows he is doing with Alison they might get it!! but there again with comments like that maybe not.

Personally speaking it was one of the best shows I've seen for many years and I can't say I've ever listened to Bluegrass music. Anyhoo thats besides the point, what he chooses to do or not to do is surely up the great man himself I think he's earned it.

You are quite right my pedalloing mate :beer:

Except his wasn't wearing out.

And relevant to what? The hot new bluegrass market?

Yeah I guess he must have been "wearing out" when he recorded that vocal duet with Sandy Denny a few years back too. B)

Robert Plant bears the legacy of Led Zeppelin quite well, but I can certainly appreciate why he needs to do what he thinks is right for the here and now. I'll just have to trust him to make his own intelligent artistic choices. I am sure he will learn from any mistakes if he must.

I seriously doubt that he has chosen the company of Alison Krauss merely to feed his ego, but from a genuine interest in exploring a musical form that is partially new to him. She herself has a unique combination of musical abilities and talents, which appears to naturally intrigue him.

Artists invariably require fresh material to feed their creative appetite, and that is what has happened with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. For the same reason if you feed your cat the same dry food over and over, he will tire of it at some point, yet be quite pleased if you give him something different and appealing every now and then.

To assume that he has engaged her collaboration merely to indulge a veiled sense of lechery is at least possibly a mistaken view. There are certainly plenty of women for him to access for the purposes of lechery alone, and he has no need to unduly compromise Alison Krauss even though she is attractive.

True he occasionally explores his sensual side but he has consistently endeavored to maintain a sense of integrity over the years despite the excesses. Exploitation gets old fast in the entertainment business and he doesn't really need to do that.

very well said.

A few years ago I attempted to listen to AK but I couldn't get into it. I could recognize that she was technically good but I just didn't like her music.

After listening to Raising Sand I can appreciate her more, and two of my favorite tracks from the album are tracks in which she, rather than RP, really has the spotlight: "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" and "Trampled Rose."

I can see how some LZ fans could listen to this collaboration and be disappointed, but it really had the opposite effect on me: it made me more receptive to an artist I had previously dismissed.

I also think RP's excitement over this collaboration is obviously and palpably genuine.

Just as long as things don't get too myopic and pigeonholed to the point where it's country to the exclusion of everything, for me anyway. Other people can do what they want. I just can't limit myself to anything too narrow in music, business or anything for that matter, especially when machinery is a factor. There is always some machinery involved with touring, and that impacts the musical setting. It's disappointing sometimes.

Your attitude is unfortunate. As Robert is traveling through Kentucky and Tennessee, he is being welcomed, given heaping plates of southern food, and treated with respect. That is how we Kentuckians treat all our guests. Maybe that is one reason he has become fascinated with this musical genre. Bluegrass fans are some of the kindest and most welcoming people I know. They work hard (many of them in coal mines), go to church and try to raise decent kids, many of whom also grow to love rock music as well, just like I did.

Your attitude is unfortunate. As Robert is traveling through Kentucky and Tennessee, he is being welcomed, given heaping plates of southern food, and treated with respect. That is how we Kentuckians treat all our guests. Maybe that is one reason he has become fascinated with this musical genre. Bluegrass fans are some of the kindest and most welcoming people I know. They work hard (many of them in coal mines), go to church and try to raise decent kids, many of whom also grow to love rock music as well, just like I did.

Everyone is welcome to their point of view. I understand that at some point slavery thrived in Kentucky as well until President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. There are those people, like Loretta Lynn, who have left Kentucky because they needed to find a better life than the coal mines had to offer.

Slavery finally ended with ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment in 1865. However, Kentucky would not ratify it until 1976.

en.wikipedia.org

Everyone is welcome to their point of view. I understand that at some point slavery thrived in Kentucky as well until President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. There are those people, like Loretta Lynn, who have left Kentucky because they needed to find a better life than the coal mines had to offer.

There were no slaves in Eastern KY, where Bluegrass music took off. The area was too impoverished. People did well to not starve, much less own slaves. I am not sure how that is relevant to a discussion on Robert Plant.

I realize there are some stereotypes out there. Robert Plant is traveling through the mountains, checking it out for himself. He speaks very positively about the area in multiple interviews. Must not be too bad.

There were no slaves in Eastern KY, where Bluegrass music took off. The area was too impoverished. People did well to not starve, much less own slaves. I am not sure how that is relevant to a discussion on Robert Plant.

I realize there are some stereotypes out there. Robert Plant is traveling through the mountains, checking it out for himself. He speaks very positively about the area in multiple interviews. Must not be too bad.

Southern hospitality did not happen by accident. Much of it grew from a history of forced labor. And wasn't it Robert Plant who rather vocally complained in the lobby of the Hyatt in Los Angeles about the lack of equal employment opportunity for black people? I think I recall hearing him say so myself as I stood there; the end of May or early June, 1973 I think it was. Heard him say it with my own ears as he first uttered his angry words. I guess he did not think very highly of racial oppression. So I'm very pleased to learn he is enjoying the wonderful hospitality in our fine state of Kentucky.

Master White didn't hesitate to sell any of his slaves, he said, "You all belong to me and if you don't like it, I'll put you in my pocket," meaning of course that he would sell that slave and put the money in his pocket.

(Amelia Jones, East Kentucky Slave)

A second major route emanated out of Tidewater Virginia which was served by slave-trading hubs at Alexandria, Danville and Norfolk. Using river, canal and overland connections, traders moved southward through Richmond. Across this route between 1810 and 1860, Virginia masters exported 441,684 slaves to other states. Out of Richmond, traders proceeded southwest through Appalachian counties, triggering a small subregional trading nucleus. Abingdon provided market access for east Kentucky, southwest Virginia and upper east Tennessee buyers and sellers.

On the western boundary of Southern Appalachia, a fourth trading route ran southward from Louisville via Lexington and Nashville to terminate in the Vicksburg and Natchez markets. Because of their geographical proximity, middle Tennessee and east Kentucky counties linked into this trading network.

Secretly financed by prominent elites, Lexington slave dealers circulated throughout east Kentucky, buying up coffles of slaves directly from owners or at local auction blocks.

An east Kentucky slave remembered that Bluegrass dealers "made a business of buying up Negroes at auction sales and shipping them down to New Orleans to be sold to owners of cotton and sugar cane plantations. . . . they would ship whole boat loads at a time, buying them up 2 or 3 here, 2 or 3 there, and holding them in a jail until they had a boat load. This practice gave rise to the expression 'sold down the river.'"

In east Kentucky where there was the region's smallest slave population, "traders came into the county to buy up slaves for the Southern plantations," taking them by boat or overland "down the river or over in Virginia and Carolina tobacco fields." Lexington-based slavers L.C. Robards and William F. Talbott employed local representatives in several east Kentucky towns. Betty Cofer "saw some slaves sold away from [her] Wilkes County, North Carolina plantation" to traders who "sold 'em down to Mobile, Alabama."

Even in east Kentucky, local traders were active. Floyd County, for example, had two speculators. County judge Houston and his son-in-law "gathered up all the slaves that were unruly or that people wanted to trade and housed them in an old barn until they had enough to take to New Orleans on a boat."

Promising their captives a march to freedom, Floyd County, Kentucky "slave rustlers" stole slaves at night and hid them "in Campbell's Cave." When their trail had cooled, the kidnappers exported the black laborers to Clarksville, Tennessee, where they would "sell them again on Mr. Dunk Moore's slave market." Lewis Robards, a Lexington slave dealer, used the services of "slave stealers" in rural east Kentucky.

There is conclusive evidence in the Census returns of the movement of slaves into and out of Southern Appalachia as part of the forced slave labor migration from the Upper South to the Lower South. With the exception of northern Alabama and northern Georgia, Southern Appalachia was populated by only three-fifths of the slaves who would have been there if no forced outward migrations had occurred. During this period, western Maryland lost half its slave population to interregional transfers while one-third of the slaves disappeared from east Kentucky, West Virginia, and Appalachian Virginia.

By tracking age cohorts from the 1840 Census, it is possible to estimate the rate at which slaves disappeared from the region. Two of every five slaves counted in the 1840 cohort aged 0 to 9 had disappeared from Southern Appalachia by 1860. During this period, for example, western Maryland lost more than half of this age cohort of slaves. East Kentucky, western North Carolina, Appalachian Virginia and West Virginia lost about two of every five slaves from this cohort.

filebox.vt.edu

:huh:

And this has what exactly to do with Robert Plant?

:huh:

And this has what exactly to do with Robert Plant?

QUOTE (Kentuckygirl @ Jun 7 2008, 02:19 PM)

huh?

sounds like KG is just sticking up for bluegrass music and fine kentucky people. i know the hospitality she speaks of, and it's every bit as decent as she says it is. anybody that loves delta blues would also love ralph stanleys "o death" if they gave it a chance. check out our boy john paul jones with uncle earl sometime-or catch him at a bluegrass festival-he's played several.

i don't see how this turned into the slavery thread-my folks are from italy, i've lived in kentucky, illinois, mississippi, california, missouri, and new york, i love bluegrass, led zep, the blues. and i've never owned a slave in my life.

Southern hospitality did not happen by accident. Much of it grew from a history of forced labor. Earning respect is one thing, coercing it is another.

well, i'm living in the south, and nobody's coercing me to tolerate this b.s. right now....i'm doing it of my own free will.

Archived