Concerts where Plant is...

SilverVishnu

If you listen to his "plantations" one after the other, it's highly amusing. The guy really should consider a career in stand up comedy... you know, in case the music thing doesn't work out. ;)

It was the seventies, after all...I'd say rock stars who weren't "chemically enhanced" in those days are probably in the minority.

The first time I heard the 23 June/77 show I could hear the cocaine in the performance...awesome show, but I almost got a buzz just listening to it; sort of like watching "The Last Waltz", Scorsese's film of The Band's final concert; everybody's coked right out!

The thing is, it's like Steven Tyler saying he can't listen to any of the old Aerosmith albums anymore because all he hears is the drugs...boo hoo hoo. Nobody put a gun to their heads and made them do all those drugs...

Compared to some bands from back then, Zeppelin wasn't that bad as far as chemical enhancement goes.

Stoned or sober, though, some of those Plantations are pretty fuckin' funny!

:blink::blink: Whoa...that title could be confusing.

Robert chemically "enhanced!" Woo-Hoo. :shifty:

That'd be a bulge..................... :o

I think he's incredibly cute when he's a lil "juiced" though. That grin of his is UNdeniable! :D

I don't think that I ever saw the Zep guys when they weren't buzzed on something (pot, alcohol, etc.) but it never affected their performance. From '71-'75, I never saw Zep on a bad or off night (other than when Robert had a sore throat and was hoarse). I got so used to seeing them that way that I never actually thought about it - it was who they were and what they did. To me, it was just part of being a rocker during that era. As someone noted earlier, it was the '70s and there were few rockers who weren't under the influence of one substance or another.

:blink::blink: Whoa...that title could be confusing.

Robert chemically "enhanced!" Woo-Hoo. :shifty:

That'd be a bulge..................... :o

I think he's incredibly cute when he's a lil "juiced" though. That grin of his is UNdeniable! :D

Ah, yes, those grins...but also, those glances. :D

Possibly from the 8/31/69 show from the Texas International Pop Festival during "I Can't Quit You Baby", when Robert forgets some lines and the band has to play through for a bit and then come back to it. Seems he might have had a few cocktails prior to the show.

He looks quite sober; I do not see any stumbling or notice any slurring of words.

Yes, as I said I did not mean shitfaced out of his mind, just a little too buzzing. (ala 1975-05-25).

Possibly from the 8/31/69 show from the Texas International Pop Festival during "I Can't Quit You Baby", when Robert forgets some lines and the band has to play through for a bit and then come back to it. Seems he might have had a few cocktails prior to the show.

There's a recentish video interview of Plant floating around that explains meeting Janis Joplin before their spot, and being presented with vodka thinly disguised as orange juice. It might be one of the 1993 TV interviews, but I'm not really sure.

Yes, as I said I did not mean shitfaced out of his mind, just a little too buzzing. (ala 1975-05-25).

There's a recentish video interview of Plant floating around that explains meeting Janis Joplin before their spot, and being presented with vodka thinly disguised as orange juice. It might be one of the 1993 TV interviews, but I'm not really sure.

That was an interesting interview; he talks about what a sweet person JJ was and how they had a "meeting of minds and bodies." I'm pretty sure it's on youtube, but I don't remember what year it was done.

Not that he would have thought so, but he was quite amusing on July 18 /73. The accepted story is that he had his water spiked sometime during the concert ( which is probably true ) but he was very lethargic from the beginning of the concert. Fatigue ? quite possibly. It seemed like his snake skin boots were glued to the stage the whole night. He must have been feeling like crap ! Jimmy had a concerned look on his face the whole evening It's a credit to Plant that the concert lasted as long as it did.

Not that he would have thought so, but he was quite amusing on July 18 /73. The accepted story is that he had his water spiked sometime during the concert

Was this in Vancouver? At the Seattle '77 show during the acoustic set, he mentions how there must be some people from British Columbia there, and how Vancouver is "one of the worst places in the world to get spiked, but one of the greatest places to play."

Was this in Vancouver? At the Seattle '77 show during the acoustic set, he mentions how there must be some people from British Columbia there, and how Vancouver is "one of the worst places in the world to get spiked, but one of the greatest places to play."

Yes it was Roxie

SilverVishnu, Robert Plant talks briefly about his friendship/relationship with Janis Joplin in this interview from 2005. He mentions her around the 13:00 point:

http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2005/05/1...an-robert-plant

Thanks for that link. It was great to hear him talk so fondly of her.

You're welcome. It was great - especially because he could have named so many other people but he chose to talk about Janis. I imagine that she was very sweet and funny and kind - similar to the way that she appeared to be in the vids of the interviews with Dick Cavett that we posted in your Janis Joplin thread.

• 1 year later...
i think i saw him puffin a joint at earls court

either the 24th or 25th

Two things that I have read or noticed about this topic: First (read): In one book that I have read dozens of times (as I am sure most of you have) is that Led Zeppelin use to pile in the washroom for a "bit of blow" in private before going onstage. Second (seen): In one of the bootlegs of Earl's Court (1975) that I have, at the end of 'Moby Dick', Bonzos's assistant, Mick Hinton, quickly lays something down on Bonzo's kettle drum (to his left) and Bonzo quickly leans over and snorts the "substance" up in one fell swoop. Believe me, although when I first saw that it did not surprise me, but I kept rewinding it to make sure I was sure that is what I saw. It was and I kept laughing at it because that is what I kind of expected of the nature of the mighty John Bonham. Think about this: if Bonzo could (and did) this right on stage after his drum solo, think about what the rest of the group did during other concerts. Either on stage or defintely backstage.

Archived