Achilles Last Stand: Best version

kashmiran

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey, how cool would it have been if the other members (or just Jimmy) had done the backing vocals on this song when Robert was doing his "I know the way"s, and the backing "ah-ah-ha"'s when Robert was doing the last "When the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth! OHHHHHH"? I think if they had done that (at least just during '77) it would've been awesome.

The videos posted above, of Zurich 6-29-80 and L.A. 6-22-77, are very cool. The Zurich one is almost laid-back, but not in a bad way.

I'm not sure how I'd rank them exactly, but if pressed I'd probably put Knebworth 8-4-79 at the top, followed by L.A. 6-22-77, and then Frankfurt 6-30-80.

But the other '77 L.A. shows are quite good too - I think the 6-23 version is right up there.

Hey, how cool would it have been if the other members (or just Jimmy) had done the backing vocals on this song when Robert was doing his "I know the way"s, and the backing "ah-ah-ha"'s when Robert was doing the last "When the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth! OHHHHHH"? I think if they had done that (at least just during '77) it would've been awesome.

I agree, that would've sounded kick-ass.

You wouldn't say that if you heard 6/23/77

And if you have heard 6/23/77 and still stick by your statement, than there's no further discussion to be had with you.

buesunday - I agree with you to a point. The best '77 versions have an urgency and drive to them that captures the spirit of this song better than the version from '79 on the DVD.

That said, the DVD sounds fantastic, and Achilles on the DVD is absolutely an excellent performance.

Some people prefer a high-quality audience recording to a soundboard, and even to a professional release, because you get more of a feel for the venue and the experience. But for many - probably most - people, a well-done professional mix and mastering is going to be the best sonically. So for many people the DVD performance is "close enough" to best, and the sound is second to none.

So while I'd say the Knebworth version isn't the absolute best, I can totally understand why kashmiran and others would feel it's the best overall listening experience..

• 1 month later...

thanks alot for the link.

just would like to hear all the mentioned versions.

this one is not the perfect one as the badgeholder is for me but

it is really great and much better than the dvd.

is there a chance to see the clip or others of achilles without the insertes?

i think there was even one clip around of the badgeholders night.

thanks alot for the link.

just would like to hear all the mentioned versions.

this one is not the perfect one as the badgeholder is for me but

it is really great and much better than the dvd.

is there a chance to see the clip or others of achilles without the insertes?

i think there was even one clip around of the badgeholders night.

PM me for any other versions you want to hear, and the 8mm footage on it's own if that's what you meant.

This is one of my most favourite Led Zep songs!!! And imho, one of their best EPICs. The way I see it, Presence was a quintessential album, and although Plant's vocal range had decreased a little bit due to objective reasons, the band itself was at its prime as a WHOLE. (imho)

Too bad, but I haven't really seen any other live version of it other than on Knebworth dvd =(...

this is my fave

Just listened to this exact boot recently and yes, it ranks as one of the best ALS for me...along with '80 Zurich, 7-24-79 Copenhagen, 8-4-79 Knebworth, the entire '77 LA Forum run, '77 Pontiac, 5-18-77 Birmingham.

Just listened to this exact boot recently and yes, it ranks as one of the best ALS for me...along with '80 Zurich, 7-24-79 Copenhagen, 8-4-79 Knebworth, the entire '77 LA Forum run, '77 Pontiac, 5-18-77 Birmingham.

Hooray! Glad to see someone else recognizes the genius of the Pontiac version!

Archived