The Tea Party

statism

Charles J. White, many thanks for sharing, all the info about The Tea Party they are a firm number two band Zeppelin being number one...

Actually, not to disappoint you, but I don't really have a number 1 band, I generally don't like to rate bands that way, what I will say is that Led Zeppelin and The Tea Party fullfil something that I find unique and which I generally find only in those 2 bands, but I also LOVE all kinds of bands and music as much as Zeppelin, it just depends on the mood I'm in on a particular day or frame of mine.

Heck I'm a massive Earl Scruggs and Lester Flat banjo bluegrass guy as well

Hey Guys,

I have been listening to the album for 2 days. It is the best album they have released thus far. More detailed account later but a quick few points:

- The track Ocean At The End takes the very best of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin but moves it into the 21st Century and it has a really hot guitar solo on it.

- The band has embraced background vocals which we saw them touch on with Seven Circles.

- The album does not have a lull, it is one solid listen from start to finish.

- I also notice some South American sounds on it

- The keyboards and electronic sounds from Transmission are there, but they are much more warmer and human feeling.

- Jeff Burrows is in my opinion, sorry Rush fans, the best living drummer in the world today.

post-4074-0-56420000-1410299049_thumb.jp

Edited by Charles J. White

The LoC (Line of Control)

Basically the Tea Party’s own Song Remains The Same in my opinion. Somewhere between that and the Interzone from IZM album. A great way to kick off an album

Black Sea

Very powerful drumming intro, and introduces the first of many soundscapes that preceed songs. Its in these soundscapes that a whole plethora of world instruments can be found, while the main component of the album is very much guitar driven rock. This track took a while to grow on me, as I thought the chorus was a little too soft for the song.

Cypher

Again an awesome soundscape for about a minute before Burrows drums kick in. They are really a centrepiece of this whole album, and I’d agree that he’s the greatest living drummer at the moment, certainly the most interesting to listen to. The eastern vibe permeates throughout this song, and there’s some extremely effective percussion (djembe etc) in the background which adds so much depth to the sound. There’s a great but short guitar break that reminded me of Walk With Me from EOT, with its multi layering, and then an awesome reversed guitar solo. This to me sounds very much like ‘New Tea Party’ with homages to their past but feeling very contemporary. Standout track.

The Maker

This is major dud number one on the album for me. This song has a long history with the tea party, its been in their live set on and off since the beginning usually as part of the Save Me live medley. There is also another official release of this on a Triple J Like A Version compilation, which is an acoustic version. This arrangement sounds weak, over produced and just plain cheesy. The double tracked vocals don’t work and its already become the one track that will guarantee a fwd. Its almost redeemed by the tremolo guitar solo at the end, but its too brief, and too far into the track for me to venture. Disappointing.

Black Roses

When I first listened to this I thought it was going to be cheesy rock ballad, but it kept on surprising me. It has a very Zepp feel to it in the arrangement, and even an obvious homage to Hey Hey What Can I Do in the outro. There’s lots of sounds going on in this one, so many layered guitars, and its very interesting. Its let down, as are other parts of the album, by some weak lyrics. Gone are the mysticism and darkness of yesteryear, replaced with some fairly basic lost love songs and clichéd metaphor. Nevertheless it’s a good track.

Brazil

has some great percussion on it, very South American feel, which is a nice little deviation from the norm. Lyrically it stumbles a little, and is often too self referential “Sister, don’t lose control” – spot the references to previous TTP tracks. This happened to a larger degree on 7C, like the opening verse of coming back again. Again a very multi layered track, with a subtle horn section complementing the feel.

11th Hour

The soundscape intro to this is awesome and had me recalling their first albums. It has some very subtle bowed guitar and drums, like and some background sitar-esque drone. The main riff of the song is great, almost reminiscent of Gyroscope from transmission. Chunky verse, nice chorus and an interesting guitar break that conjures up zeppelin (as do many parts of this album)

Submission

Took me ages to work out why this sounded so familiar…it is basically their interpretation of Gary Newman’s Cars. This is a very transmission era sounding track and again I’d put in the category of “New tea party”, reflective but modern. Should be a powerful live track, probably alongside (or within, or absorbing) Temptation

Cass Corridor

This ones a bit of fun, which seems odd for such a serious faced band. This would have fitted nicely onto some of JM’s solo work. There’s some interesting time signatures in it (nothing as ambitious as their 1992 track The Timing Song, which is crazy). Blues rock with a great harmonica and some nice guitar runs. I don’t think it will have much longevity for me though

Waters on Fire

Still boring and cheesy. This is the second major dud on the album. In context of the rest of the album it sounds little more ‘in place’ than it did as their return single, but it doesn’t change the fact that its ballads-by-the-numbers and almost belittles the talent and originality of this band. Boring.

The Ocean At The End

This song covers a lot of ground in its 8 and a half minute ramble. Its very atmospheric and has some exceptionally Pink Floyd parts too it. The lyrics are, again, a little corny in places and while the guitar solo is a welcome return to JM showcasing his talents, its doesn’t do them justice. Its very stop/start in nature and doesn’t flow very well. He’s a tremendous player and I only feel he could have strung this solo together a little more coherently with less pauses and breaks and more fluidity. The last great solo he did was probably the fade out to 7C.

Into the Unknown

An instrumental experimental soundscape to end the album. It follows on nicely from TOATE track, but its hardly a go-to track in its own rights. An interesting way to finish the album, which strangely I enjoyed.

General comments: Its awesome to have these guys back and the break has done them well. There are some truly great moments on this album and the song writing is generally very good. There’s some lyrical laziness by JM and that hampers the overall quality (fairly significantly in areas). The overall production is good and there are some particularly great sounding parts to it, along with some terrific arrangements of the tracks and multi layered guitar works. Parts of this album just scream out The Tea Party to and the intro soundscapes that start off most of these songs, and it’s a shame that they didn’t get further expansion. As a return album I think its very good, if a little too safe in places. I’d love them to develop these soundscapes a little more and maybe head off down a darker, diverse tangent for the next album. I would have preferred some more acoustic, world and experimental tracks, but I see this album as a real pivotal one to either an interesting, risk-taking future, or a safe one - the latter of which would take them dangerously close to generic rock territory again, like 7C, and they’re much better than that.

Definitely not their best album, but certainly a strong contender and I'd put it above 7C and Triptych, and probably hovering equal with the Interzone Mantra's. It really doesn't reach the heights of SS and EOT in my opinion.

Next stop is my limited green vinyl and seeing them in concert next month. Very exciting!

Standouts: Cypher, The LoC, 11th Hour, Submission, The Ocean at the End, Black Sea

Solid: Black Roses, Brazil,

Dud: The Maker, Waters on Fire, possibly Cass Corridor in a few weeks

The LoC (Line of Control)

Basically the Tea Party’s own Song Remains The Same in my opinion. Somewhere between that and the Interzone from IZM album. A great way to kick off an album

Black Sea

Very powerful drumming intro, and introduces the first of many soundscapes that preceed songs. Its in these soundscapes that a whole plethora of world instruments can be found, while the main component of the album is very much guitar driven rock. This track took a while to grow on me, as I thought the chorus was a little too soft for the song.

Cypher

Again an awesome soundscape for about a minute before Burrows drums kick in. They are really a centrepiece of this whole album, and I’d agree that he’s the greatest living drummer at the moment, certainly the most interesting to listen to. The eastern vibe permeates throughout this song, and there’s some extremely effective percussion (djembe etc) in the background which adds so much depth to the sound. There’s a great but short guitar break that reminded me of Walk With Me from EOT, with its multi layering, and then an awesome reversed guitar solo. This to me sounds very much like ‘New Tea Party’ with homages to their past but feeling very contemporary. Standout track.

The Maker

This is major dud number one on the album for me. This song has a long history with the tea party, its been in their live set on and off since the beginning usually as part of the Save Me live medley. There is also another official release of this on a Triple J Like A Version compilation, which is an acoustic version. This arrangement sounds weak, over produced and just plain cheesy. The double tracked vocals don’t work and its already become the one track that will guarantee a fwd. Its almost redeemed by the tremolo guitar solo at the end, but its too brief, and too far into the track for me to venture. Disappointing.

Black Roses

When I first listened to this I thought it was going to be cheesy rock ballad, but it kept on surprising me. It has a very Zepp feel to it in the arrangement, and even an obvious homage to Hey Hey What Can I Do in the outro. There’s lots of sounds going on in this one, so many layered guitars, and its very interesting. Its let down, as are other parts of the album, by some weak lyrics. Gone are the mysticism and darkness of yesteryear, replaced with some fairly basic lost love songs and clichéd metaphor. Nevertheless it’s a good track.

Brazil

has some great percussion on it, very South American feel, which is a nice little deviation from the norm. Lyrically it stumbles a little, and is often too self referential “Sister, don’t lose control” – spot the references to previous TTP tracks. This happened to a larger degree on 7C, like the opening verse of coming back again. Again a very multi layered track, with a subtle horn section complementing the feel.

11th Hour

The soundscape intro to this is awesome and had me recalling their first albums. It has some very subtle bowed guitar and drums, like and some background sitar-esque drone. The main riff of the song is great, almost reminiscent of Gyroscope from transmission. Chunky verse, nice chorus and an interesting guitar break that conjures up zeppelin (as do many parts of this album)

Submission

Took me ages to work out why this sounded so familiar…it is basically their interpretation of Gary Newman’s Cars. This is a very transmission era sounding track and again I’d put in the category of “New tea party”, reflective but modern. Should be a powerful live track, probably alongside (or within, or absorbing) Temptation

Cass Corridor

This ones a bit of fun, which seems odd for such a serious faced band. This would have fitted nicely onto some of JM’s solo work. There’s some interesting time signatures in it (nothing as ambitious as their 1992 track The Timing Song, which is crazy). Blues rock with a great harmonica and some nice guitar runs. I don’t think it will have much longevity for me though

Waters on Fire

Still boring and cheesy. This is the second major dud on the album. In context of the rest of the album it sounds little more ‘in place’ than it did as their return single, but it doesn’t change the fact that its ballads-by-the-numbers and almost belittles the talent and originality of this band. Boring.

The Ocean At The End

This song covers a lot of ground in its 8 and a half minute ramble. Its very atmospheric and has some exceptionally Pink Floyd parts too it. The lyrics are, again, a little corny in places and while the guitar solo is a welcome return to JM showcasing his talents, its doesn’t do them justice. Its very stop/start in nature and doesn’t flow very well. He’s a tremendous player and I only feel he could have strung this solo together a little more coherently with less pauses and breaks and more fluidity. The last great solo he did was probably the fade out to 7C.

Into the Unknown

An instrumental experimental soundscape to end the album. It follows on nicely from TOATE track, but its hardly a go-to track in its own rights. An interesting way to finish the album, which strangely I enjoyed.

General comments: Its awesome to have these guys back and the break has done them well. There are some truly great moments on this album and the song writing is generally very good. There’s some lyrical laziness by JM and that hampers the overall quality (fairly significantly in areas). The overall production is good and there are some particularly great sounding parts to it, along with some terrific arrangements of the tracks and multi layered guitar works. Parts of this album just scream out The Tea Party to and the intro soundscapes that start off most of these songs, and it’s a shame that they didn’t get further expansion. As a return album I think its very good, if a little too safe in places. I’d love them to develop these soundscapes a little more and maybe head off down a darker, diverse tangent for the next album. I would have preferred some more acoustic, world and experimental tracks, but I see this album as a real pivotal one to either an interesting, risk-taking future, or a safe one - the latter of which would take them dangerously close to generic rock territory again, like 7C, and they’re much better than that.

Definitely not their best album, but certainly a strong contender and I'd put it above 7C and Triptych, and probably hovering equal with the Interzone Mantra's. It really doesn't reach the heights of SS and EOT in my opinion.

Next stop is my limited green vinyl and seeing them in concert next month. Very exciting!

Standouts: Cypher, The LoC, 11th Hour, Submission, The Ocean at the End, Black Sea

Solid: Black Roses, Brazil,

Dud: The Maker, Waters on Fire, possibly Cass Corridor in a few weeks

I notice a number of times you have mentioned things of the past related to dark or angry lyrics, but Jeff Martin has evolved, he is not angry all of the time. As far as the lryics to Water's On Fire, I view it as a personal letter to his demons and things he has had to deal with related to his childhood which makes it very human to me, and the guitar on the track is excellent.

The Ocean At The End is a magnificent album from start to finish. The last time the band entered a studio to create new music was 10 years ago. The Tea Party are a band of the now, they have expanded their musical vision by embracing backing vocals or double tracked echo vocals throughout the album while at the same time incorporating the sounds of South America. Jeff Martin has returned to fine form with some tasteful guitar solo's and guitar bits that would make Jimmy Page jealous. Chatwood has taken the keyboard and electronic bits from Transmission but has discovered a much warmer natural sound that feels very earthy and human. Jeff Burrows proves once again why he is the greatest living drummer and is very much in the same league as Jason and John Bonham delivering unique drum patterns and interesting mic techniques to get the best possible drum sound. Jeff Martin sounds healthy, and he sounds like he knows life is worth living with wonderful vocal phrasing and a wonderful solid range. No song sounds the same on the album each representing a different musical journey. The band sounds like it is mixing Pink Floyd with Led Zeppelin while adding in bits of the Middle East and South America with some excellent harmonies and backing vocals. It has been the best selling album in Canada all week, go out and buy a copy you will not be disappointed. I can honestly say in my humble opinion it is the single most complete sounding album by The Tea Party which firmly sits in the now. They are not looking back, they are moving forward. And The Ocean At The End is a spectacular track. The album sounds good late at night or with headphones on

Edited by Charles J. White

I notice a number of times you have mentioned things of the past related to dark or angry lyrics, but Jeff Martin has evolved, he is not angry all of the time. As far as the lryics to Water's On Fire, I view it as a personal letter to his demons and things he has had to deal with related to his childhood which makes it very human to me, and the guitar on the track is excellent.

The Ocean At The End is a magnificent album from start to finish. The last time the band entered a studio to create new music was 10 years ago. The Tea Party are a band of the now, they have expanded their musical vision by embracing backing vocals or double tracked echo vocals throughout the album while at the same time incorporating the sounds of South America. Jeff Martin has returned to fine form with some tasteful guitar solo's and guitar bits that would make Jimmy Page jealous. Chatwood has taken the keyboard and electronic bits from Transmission but has discovered a much warmer natural sound that feels very earthy and human. Jeff Burrows proves once again why he is the greatest living drummer and is very much in the same league as Jason and John Bonham delivering unique drum patterns and interesting mic techniques to get the best possible drum sound. Jeff Martin sounds healthy, and he sounds like he knows life is worth living with wonderful vocal phrasing and a wonderful solid range. No song sounds the same on the album each representing a different musical journey. The band sounds like it is mixing Pink Floyd with Led Zeppelin while adding in bits of the Middle East and South America with some excellent harmonies and backing vocals. It has been the best selling album in Canada all week, go out and buy a copy you will not be disappointed. I can honestly say in my humble opinion it is the single most complete sounding album by The Tea Party which firmly sits in the now. They are not looking back, they are moving forward. And The Ocean At The End is a spectacular track. The album sounds good late at night or with headphones on

I understand that JM is in a different place to when he was in the fuzzy days of the mid to late 90s, its categorically not a bad thing and the point I was trying to make was that to me the lyrics come across as a bit pedestrian, or lazy by the standards that he has previously set, irrespective of subject matter. Whether this is as a result of his head space, or ability I don't know, I was just giving my observations. The guitar work of Waters on Fire are absolutely fine, but it doesn't detract from the fact that (to me) it sounds like a cheesy rock ballad, which are a dime a dozen. Maybe its the arrangement, I don't know. Generic ballads are too ubiquitous to be that interesting to me and my overarching point was that I feel its just a dull song in comparison to what I know they can do. Its in teh same category as something like The Watcher or Oceans. Not to downplay the subject matter, just the song itself as an overall package. They've done "love" songs in the past and the arrangements have been superb: In this time, dreams of reason, white water siren spring to mind.

And I wasn't criticising double tracked vocals either, I was just noting down my observations of the track. They've done it before to great effect in the likes of The Master and Margarita, and it works very well in other places on this album, just not for me on The Maker. The expansion of their global repertoire to South America was indeed a welcome surprise, there's not many places they haven't gone now (in either TTP or solo).

I completely agree that they are looking forward, and I think I called it 'new tea party' in a number of places. This is an excellent album and I didn't intend for my comments to come across as too critical, purely observational. There's so much to hear in it, and new sounds leap out with every new listen. I'd certainly encourage any fan of Zeppelin to check it out. I'd give it an 8-8.5 out of 10, but for me to not acknowledge that it does has some minor flaws and areas of weakness, would not be being true to myself.

I'm pretty sure we are both in general agreement to the overall quality of it. Its very good. Having been a fan since about 1993 I'm just thrilled that they are back and writing great music.

Edited by mckjuana

Cass Corridor

There was something abou this tune which I could not figure out, but Jeff gave out a bit on an interview and it makes sense, David Bowie!! Go back and listen to it, you will hear it, have no idea how I missed it

There was something abou this tune which I could not figure out, but Jeff gave out a bit on an interview and it makes sense, David Bowie!! Go back and listen to it, you will hear it, have no idea how I missed it

As someone who hasn't explored much Bowie can you give me a hint where to look please.

I`m looking forward to the tea party tour of the UK, ooh yes ooh yes please where`s the tickets...

The last time was in June 2000 and they only played one venue in London (The Garage at highbury and islington, and it was bloody excellent). I'd imagine this would be something similar too. A London date as part of a European tour. They always had more success on the mainland, particularly Germany and the Netherlands.

They were dropped by their UK record label in 1995 so I don't think there has been enough historical exposure or a big enough fan base to support more than one or two dates.

The one in 2000 sold out really quickly though so grab your tickets early.