The Racing Thread

Footsteps of Dawn

:(

Yesterday the motor sports world experienced a tragedy..

NHRA’s Kalitta killed in drag racing crash

Driver had estimated speed of 300 mph when car crashed, burst into flames

080621-kalitta-hmed-8p.hmedium.jpg

Sat., June. 21, 2008

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. - Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car burst into flames and crashed at the end of the track during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

The NHRA said the 46-year-old Kalitta — the 1994 and 1995 Top Fuel season champion who had 18 career victories, 17 in Top Fuel and one in Funny Car — was taken to the Old Bridge division of Raritan Bay Medical Center, where he died a short time later.

Kalitta’s Toyota Solara was traveling at about 300 mph when it burst into flames.

The Palmetto, Fla., resident started his career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982. His father, Connie Kalitta, was a longtime driver and team owner known as “The Bounty Hunter,” and his cousin, Doug Kalitta, also drives competitively.

“We are deeply saddened and want to pass along our sincere condolences to the entire Kalitta family,” the NHRA said in a statement. “Scott shared the same passion for drag racing as his legendary father, Connie. He also shared the same desire to win, becoming a two-time series world champion. He left the sport for a period of time, to devote more time to his family, only to be driven to return to the drag strip to regain his championship form. ... He will be truly missed by the entire NHRA community.” *source*

*Youtube: Scott Kalitta crash 6/21/08*

-_-

Yes this is such a tragedy for his family and the whole NHRA family - the entire world of racing really. I saw the replay last night on ESPN and immediately started crying (I am actually welling up with tears right now as I write this). I am only about 1/2 hour away from Raceway Park so this really hit home for me.

Rest in peace Scott.

:(

Yesterday the motor sports world experienced a tragedy..

NHRA's Kalitta killed in drag racing crash

Driver had estimated speed of 300 mph when car crashed, burst into flames

080621-kalitta-hmed-8p.hmedium.jpg

Sat., June. 21, 2008

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. - Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car burst into flames and crashed at the end of the track during the final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

The NHRA said the 46-year-old Kalitta — the 1994 and 1995 Top Fuel season champion who had 18 career victories, 17 in Top Fuel and one in Funny Car — was taken to the Old Bridge division of Raritan Bay Medical Center, where he died a short time later.

Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at about 300 mph when it burst into flames.

The Palmetto, Fla., resident started his career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982. His father, Connie Kalitta, was a longtime driver and team owner known as "The Bounty Hunter," and his cousin, Doug Kalitta, also drives competitively.

"We are deeply saddened and want to pass along our sincere condolences to the entire Kalitta family," the NHRA said in a statement. "Scott shared the same passion for drag racing as his legendary father, Connie. He also shared the same desire to win, becoming a two-time series world champion. He left the sport for a period of time, to devote more time to his family, only to be driven to return to the drag strip to regain his championship form. ... He will be truly missed by the entire NHRA community." *source*

*Youtube: Scott Kalitta crash 6/21/08*

-_-

That was really sad about Scott.......RIP man :(:(:(. My condolences go to his wife and 2 sons he leaves behind :(

SCOTTKALITTANHRAfunntcardriverRIP20.jpg

I'm from the U.S., and formula racing isn't really that big here, but I wish it was because IMO its the ultimate form of racing..

I'm a mechanical engineer and just graduated college... I don't know if any of you have heard of it, but Formula SAE is a collegiate design competition I competed in in college. It involves 130 teams from all over the world, and students have to design build and test a formula-style car from the ground up in just 1 year... pretty sweet competition...

Heres some random specs on the car

Vehicle Weight: 453 lb wet w/out driver

Chassis: Chromoly 4130 steel spaceframe

Powertrain: 600cc Turbocharged Honda F4i 85 hp (its restricted <_< )

Drivetrain: Chain-driven Torsen II limited slip gearset w/ billet aluminum housing

Tyres: Hoosier R25A Slicks

Body: Vaccum infused carbon fibre

0-60 mph: 3.4 seconds

Max Lateral Accel: 1.5 g

Max Decel: 1.4 g

By and far the funnest thing I will ever drive.

Anyways, heres a pic of the car we raced at the F-SAE East competition last May.. I'll post more once I get the energy to upload to a server... Enjoy!

This one was taken during testing.

fsae0818ih4.jpg

• 3 months later...
Yes I know. My mistake. Wrong kind of racing. Ill look for the proper thread. I know there are some fans here.

No,it's cool,it's all racing-that's just my favorite type.I like the ones that you can race on Sunday,and drive to work on Monday.

I used to be into the NASCAR,but remember when the cars were actually stock?

....and "Pinks" is a cool show.

Archived