The Reunion Concert

I put this up as a post on www.thezep.net but i wanted the thoughts of those of you that don't check my blog too..

There’s a lot of worry and wonder over how well Led Zeppelin are likely to perform on December 10. Now I wouldn’t really say that I’m worried about it, I’m sort of, well, confused.

To be totally honest, I’ve never been one to champion reunion tours or musicians of yesteryear reforming in attempts rekindle their former glory. In fact I’ve always scoffed at it, that same scoff that most young (self appointed) music scholars do. The Police, for example, a brilliant band no question about it, did a reunion tour last year…yet I can’t help but to question the motives behind it…they didn’t write any new material, they didn’t do anything new, in fact they did absolutely nothing to strengthen the legacy that they should have rightfully left in the 80’s. What was the point? The only motivation for such a move that springs to mind is money. Money, and vast amounts of it, wads of the stuff for one little tour. So many bands have done it in the past few years; Cream, The Who and on a less credible and more current note, The Spice Girls have all re-emerged. But ultimately, what for? Money? Have they forgotten that a raw talent for songwriting, a buzz and the desire to play anywhere and everywhere is what brought them together and towards success in the first place.

And what is a new tour really going to offer us? Those who missed out in the first place get a chance to see them? Well no, it’s not them, they’ve turned into a load of rich guys, dressed up as young guys, trying to get richer…Big fans get to see them again? Again, no. Just NO! Most of the fans of decent bands from the 60’s and 70’s went through a dodgy period in the 80’s and turned into yuppies and listened to Phil Collins and Level 42 anyway. It’s only once the midlife crisis kicked in during the late 90’s, when your hair began to grey and your son started listening to metal that you decided to dust off the old ‘hard rock’ vinyl and reminisce about those hazy teenage years.

The most noticeable trait of the current generations seems to be one that thrives off nostalgia and the wonder of youth. A sort of ‘grass is greener on the other side of yesterday’ type notion. Even people my age bang on about how great toys and TV programmes used to be, how sweets were nicer, how they actually liked high-top trainers the first time round etc. It’s become our thing, our identity…This is why people attend reunion concerts, this is why they get a chance to happen in the first place.

I’m crossing my fingers and hoping that bands like The Smiths won’t decide this is a good idea, to leave it where you left it seems to be such a more dignified and mysterious way of putting down and accepting the end of a musical era. This was always something I had championed Led Zep for, as mystery and that discerning mystique had always been their ‘thing’. I had always considered it quite cringeworthy, watching wrinkly Jaggers, Iggy Pops and Debbie Harrys still rolling around stages, parodying the raw and genuine glory of their respective heydays. I had never expected Led Zeppelin to follow suit Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but Bob Dylan and Neil Young never stopped being cool in the first place did they? .

But…in my opinion, a number of things save Led Zeppelin this time. The fact they have a good reason for performing: as a tribute to their good friend and montor, Ahmet Ertegun. And the fact that it’s a one off gig. I even think that the whole ticket-lottery and the assurance that many people weren’t going to get a chance to see the gig was done in a typically mysterious and utterly Led Zeppelin-esque fashion…by letting a tiny fraction of your fanbase see you one last time only increases interest. All of the best bands have ended at a point where they logically shouldn’t have: Morrison’s death ended the Doors, The Beatles ended on a high, Hendrix died at his peak, Nick Drake, Nirvana, Jeff Buckley…the list goes on…

For Zeppelin to not do a follow up tour now would be the most illogical thing to do right now, and therefore the best thing they could possibly do.

In this age of rockstars with walking sticks and botox faced groupies, we need Led Zeppeilin more than ever to exemplify how it should end.

What I’m trying to say is that I hope Led Zeppelin end it here, they have the opportunity to bow out with millions scrambling to see them, the chance to end on the most ultimate of highs…and that would be the most perfect way to bring the curtains down.

All of the best bands have ended at a point where they logically shouldn’t have: Morrison’s death ended the Doors, The Beatles ended on a high, Hendrix died at his peak, Nick Drake, Nirvana, Jeff Buckley…the list goes on…

The Beatles ended in bitter feuds (it wasn't pretty). The Doors carried on for a couple of ill-advised albums after Morrison died.

I do agree though, this is, as Robert has already said, the perfect opportunity to do one last great show and go out in style, much as Live 8 was the perfect finale for Pink Floyd.

I disagree with the premise of your thread, which stop me if I'm wrong, seems to be that if you're over 45 years old, call it a day (with the fair exceptions of the likes of Neil Young and Bob Dylan). I dont think its fair to say that The Who reunited purely for financial reasons. They did put out a new album, and although Entwistle and Moon are conspicuous by their absense, the material is as good as any post-Who's Next stuff. I did see them live twice in the last year and they were fantastic. In a festival situation they really showed up all the younger bands. I thought the newer bands were dull by comparison (I'm 23 by the way, just to give a clearer context of where I'm coming from).

Basically my attitude is, if you can deliver the goods, deliver them. If not, then by all means call it a day. I dont care if you have grey hair and a few wrinkles. I never bought a Led Zeppelin album to look at them, I buy them to listen. You've got plenty of time to do nothing and let your legacy rest when you're dead. Musicians play music, not dominos in the old folks home. Like Lou Reed said (when he was about my current age) "playing music is not like athletics, one may improve with age". Thats not always the case, but sometimes it is.

Dont get me wrong though, I get where you're coming from with the idea of preserving the legacy from the indignities and, how should I put it, "demystifiers" of a possible disastrous reunion, but presumably if they can no longer hack it this would have become apparent in rehearsals. Maybe I'm thinking selfishly about this, but I would LOVE to see a full tour. The demand is there (understatement of the decade!), and they broke up 4 years before I was born so I sure as hell never got a chance see them. Like I said before, if you can deliver the goods, deliver them.

I understand these points.I just believe that many of the bands that you mention haven't delivered the goods. I've found The Who's subsequent releases to be awful. I saw them at Glastonbury and found their performance flat, tired and like watching two former stars being carried by a backing band.

For me, the true essence of why they played together in the first place is lost. That mysterious spirit of rock and roll, the innocence of youth, not to mentio the energy and passion.

It's less about image and what they look like, more about dignity and credibility. And RELEVANCE!

Also, as for The Doors, they ended in every way for me when Morrison died. He pretty much was the Doors. Yes, the Beatles ended bitterly, but still at a point where people were still salivating for more. you know what I mean.

Hmm. I think that far too much is made of the age issue in music, both in regard to musicians and to fans.

I'm 42 myself and go to see young bands and old bands and there's no shortage of bland, repetitive young bands and exciting and powerful old bands. And vice versa.

As for fans, there's as many irritating, mobile phone waving, chattering young fans as there are mid-life crisis engulfed, BMW-driving 40-year-olds trying to cling to their "youth". But the vast majority of people who go to gigs do so because a live concert is the ultimate musical experience, completely impossible to capture on tape or video. Sometimes you come out buzzing and with your heart hammering, ears ringing, dripping sweat and grinning like an idiot. There's no better feeling. (Yeah, apart from that, I guess.)

In the case of this Led Zeppelin reunion, I'd possibly be worried if all or any of the members had been really playing badly recently, but the complete opposite is true. Robert Plant has made more exciting music over the last ten years or so than at any time since Zep broke up, and his voice is in great shape, whether or not he has to sing in a lower key (big deal). John Paul Jones is in fantastic form, both on bass and mandolin. Jimmy Page, none of us really know for sure these days, but he was blinding last time Page and Plant played at least, and I wouldn't have expect him to have suddenly lost his touch now. I don't know Jason Bonham, and he does seem to play with bands I wouldn't dream of listening to personally, but he seems to be completely fired up for this show.

Led Zeppelin were the greatest live act in history, and even if they're hardly likely to reach their original standards during a one-off reunion show, man, it's still going to be better than anything else around, I'm certain of that.

I would relish new material or touring. As an example of where I come from I saw John Lee Hooker when he was in his 70s and he was treated like a god by the audience and he rocked. His age gave it even more power and authenticity.

given that their material and style has so much energy and power to start with I think their experience only adds to the effect. Of course let's see what I say after Dec.10. I'm confident though ;)

Led Zeppelin were the greatest live act in history

How many people here, or people that are attending the gig actually know that for sure?

But I agree with you mostly man, a good gig is a good gig, and I'm sure if anyone can, the Zep can deliver. Don't you think that alot of reunion gigs are all about the cash though?

It takes the true essence away from everything. For them and for us.

As for fans, there's as many irritating, mobile phone waving, chattering young fans as there are mid-life crisis engulfed, BMW-driving 40-year-olds trying to cling to their "youth". But the vast majority of people who go to gigs do so because a live concert is the ultimate musical experience, completely impossible to capture on tape or video. Sometimes you come out buzzing and with your heart hammering, ears ringing, dripping sweat and grinning like an idiot. There's no better feeling. (Yeah, apart from that, I guess.)

Very funny and very true on seeing a good show. I guess there is a certain angle to rock music, where musicians and music fans refuse to grow up. In a way its partially necessary to appreciate the whole art form, especially live music.

On musicians making money doing what they are good at... i would never hold that against anyone, thats just part of the business side and they have bills to pay too.

Hmm. I think that far too much is made of the age issue in music, both in regard to musicians and to fans.

I'm 42 myself and go to see young bands and old bands and there's no shortage of bland, repetitive young bands and exciting and powerful old bands. And vice versa.

Amen to that. Nicely said!

Music is a life-giving force, no matter your age. People with Alzheimer's Disease remember their favorite music even when they don't remember anything else. We're just wired for it.

BTW, love your screen name. What a, er, whacky game that would be, LOL!

In the case of this Led Zeppelin reunion, I'd possibly be worried if all or any of the members had been really playing badly recently, but the complete opposite is true. Robert Plant has made more exciting music over the last ten years or so than at any time since Zep broke up, and his voice is in great shape, whether or not he has to sing in a lower key (big deal). John Paul Jones is in fantastic form, both on bass and mandolin. Jimmy Page, none of us really know for sure these days, but he was blinding last time Page and Plant played at least, and I wouldn't have expect him to have suddenly lost his touch now. I don't know Jason Bonham, and he does seem to play with bands I wouldn't dream of listening to personally, but he seems to be completely fired up for this show.

Led Zeppelin were the greatest live act in history, and even if they're hardly likely to reach their original standards during a one-off reunion show, man, it's still going to be better than anything else around, I'm certain of that.

I'm with you. They've also all remarked, with seeming honesty and enthusiasm, on how great rehearsals have been.

See, there's alot of talk to the contrary. People are saying that the rehearsals aren't going to plan and songs are going to have to altered or cut down...

I don't know, this could be a sort of dilution of a formerly great thing...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to go to the show. I guess there's just alot to be said for leaving something that was great. To use a different example, it's like great comedy, like the Office. They made two series and a Christmas special and left it while it was still fresh and vital. People would have killed for another series but they left it there, on a high, on a good note. If they were to film a reunion episode in 25 years time, coud you imagine how much that would suck?

That's the point I'm trying to make about reunion tours.

Led Zeppelin ended 27 years ago. That's not to say the remaining three should never have anything to do musically together again. It is to say one fourth of Led Zeppelin is not going to be present and as such anything they'll ever attempt together is at worst an approximation and at best an evolution of the original.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to go to the show.

I sense a 'but' here..

I guess there's just alot to be said for leaving something that was great. To use a different example, it's like great comedy, like the Office. They made two series and a Christmas special and left it while it was still fresh and vital. People would have killed for another series but they left it there, on a high, on a good note. If they were to film a reunion episode in 25 years time, coud you imagine how much that would suck?

That's the point I'm trying to make about reunion tours.

If they hadn't played together since 1980 maybe they wouldn't now, but RP has recently said that part of the reason for this is to play one last great gig, to show people what Zeppelin were about, and for their parting shot not to be the other, less than satisfactory, reunions they've done.

One thing we need to remember is that the main reason the 4 guys are playing that gig is to honour Ahmet Ertegun.....period.

And I second the comment that even though Led Zeppelin ended 27 years ago, there´s no reason why they cannot get together and play.

What we may not do is to expect to see a 1973 Led Zeppelin show, because that´s something we´re not gonna get. There's no doubt that they will try their best to do an amazing gig, but I´m just not expecting dynamite :)

it's not about money. they have money already.

It could be about music. I think it's that pure in this case.

It could be about the son of a drummer who now has it together.

It could be about reincarnation or rebirth.

It will be good, or they wouldn't bother.

it's not about money. they have money already.

It could be about music. I think it's that pure in this case.

It could be about the son of a drummer who now has it together.

It could be about reincarnation or rebirth.

It will be good, or they wouldn't bother.

At this point in all the band members lives, why would they even dare try and trot out with a sub-par performance. Something is cooking people, and it's going to be delicious.

There's no 'but' about it...My first post stated that I thought that this was the perfect chance for Led Zeppelin to bow out gracefully and to enhance their legacy. To show the other reformers how it's done. To maintain their mystique. I never once said I wouldn't jump at the chance to go.

What I am agains is them attempting a full on comeback or stretching a career that ended or should have ended long ago, ie the Stones.

That was my point and I made that quite clear in my original post.

nb- I also like the way they had previously played as Page and Plant for example, instead of billing themselves as Zeppelin. The band playing next month, for me, is not Led Zeppelin.

The band from what i have heard and seen on tv are very very excited for this one last gig, as they have said after the "shambles" of live aid and the tiredness of atlantic 40th anniversary, its a chance to show that they truly were the greatest rock and roll band of all time. Then put it to bed.

The band from what i have heard and seen on tv are very very excited for this one last gig, as they have said after the "shambles" of live aid and the tiredness of atlantic 40th anniversary, its a chance to show that they truly were the greatest rock and roll band of all time. Then put it to bed.

poortom, I respect your views. I think the underlying motivation is even simpler:

Jimmy wanna rock. Jimmy wanna roll. A perfect opportunity for him to play live again.

Jimmy wanna rock. Jimmy wanna roll. A perfect opportunity for him to play live again.

yes!

for quite some time now, huh?

I can't decide if I should be more happy for Jimmy or Jason, or maybe the group as a whole.

They always emphasized the group, so I'll raise my glass to them.

queue the beer drinking smiley...what do you mean I don't know how to do it?

yeah thats true Steve, i still get the impression that Robert dont want to do it anymore, plus all this talk of lowering the key to help him sing wont help, makes him not want to do it anymore because he may seem a bit of a failure or a let down to the name and reputation that is Led Zeppelin.

I didnt think much about -live aid/atlantic 40th after seeing one -outrider88 show and especially the -page plant/95/98 shows. Unfortunately those are the only 2 shows mentioned in every news blurb or article about -led zep and thats why they don't go away. What a shame that interviewers keep bringing those shows up till today. If a zeppelin fan was to meet -page,plant or jones...who the hell would ever bring up live aid/at. 40th? Those two shows are long put to bed in my book, call them reunions, call them just showing up for a good cause...just two shows w/short sets.

yeah thats true Steve, i still get the impression that Robert dont want to do it anymore, plus all this talk of lowering the key to help him sing wont help, makes him not want to do it anymore because he may seem a bit of a failure or a let down to the name and reputation that is Led Zeppelin.

Robert is definitely the wildcard here.

Oh, I really don't think anyone can use Robert Plant and failure in the same sentence. This guy is rock's all time Golden God. Not bad for a lad from West Bromwich. He'd been invited to sing at the Ahmet Tribute in America but declined. So he'll do it with the concession that it's done on home turf, whatever the reason. The paradox in the past was how do I maintain my solo career without being superceded by the return of the monster. The paradox now is he has a hit record AND a tour lined up. Hey, these are good problems to have!

(Edit: Damn this text formatting)

Led Zeppelin ended 27 years ago. That's not to say the remaining three should never have anything to do musically together again. It is to say one fourth of Led Zeppelin is not going to be present and as such anything they'll ever attempt together is at worst an approximation and at best an evolution of the original.

The main reason they would play together as a band today would be new material imo. I don't think they would do a -reunion tour just playing the -led zeppelin catalogue. Yeah this o2 show is -the big reunion, but if they were to truly -regroup...it would be for music. Ofcourse its very interesting to hear how they will approach -led zeppelin songs these days, for the o2 show.

Archived