The Reunion Concert

Oh, I really don't think anyone can use Robert Plant and failure in the same sentence. This guy is rock's all time Golden God. Not bad for a lad from West Bromwich. He'd been invited to sing at the Ahmet Tribute in America but declined. So he'll do it with the concession that it's done on home turf, whatever the reason.

Yeah he certainly won't fail. He'll do great at the one-off O2 gig.

And he's professional enough to say something if his voice with shot. People just don't give him enough credit, sheesh.

The paradox in the past was how do I maintain my solo career without being superceded by the return of the monster. The paradox now is he has a hit record AND a tour lined up. Hey, these are good problems to have!

Good problems indeed!

What irony, right?

I tend to think though, that the talk of reunions helped his "Raising Sand" release. It's only natural and unavoidable.

Robert seems like a runner. --Not in the way that a coward runs away.

Robert is running for the same reason there was no title on the fourth album. Running from the 'monster' as you called it.

He wants to see what he can do on his own, as if he wasn't entangled in Led Zeppelin.

I think Plant needs change more than any other member of Led Zeppelin.

He is very dynamic. He never gives the same performance twice, where performances can be measured from song to song, or from 1980 to 2007.

Sorry to be a drag but I really think that Led Zeppelin should have ended for good with Bonham's death. I always boasted to my friends that Led Zep were the one band who knew about mystique and legacy, and that they thankfully had the nous to call it a day and preserve their career as one sacred 12-year burst of brilliance. So why the hell this? Much as I would obviously not turn down the chance to be there if somebody offered me a ticket, looking at it objectively, it just seems that this concert ruins the aura that Jimmy Page so carefully created around the band. They were gods of youthful rock 'n' roll, legendary and mysterious in their own time and even more so since, with the sensible decision to stay holy. Now this one random concert spoils all that and will show Zep 30 years older and with a different drummer - in a word, human. I don't want Led Zeppelin to be human. Think about it - that's not as unreasonable as it first seems.

Let me start by saying I'm 32. Normally not relevant but I guess it is here.

I saw The Police at Twickenham a couple of months ago. They were brilliant. Quite possibly the only band around that could reunite after 20-odd years - with the original line-up - and sound the same if not better. I'd say they've done their legacy no harm whatsoever. (And, as for not writing new material, maybe they will, maybe they won't, but their reunion is an ongoing concern - it's far from over yet).

Cream. Saw them at The Albert Hall in 2005. Brilliant. Unlike The Police though, they sounded different but in a good way. Like a more grown-up version of their 60s selves. Kind of what I hope for when it comes to Zeppelin in 2007.

Then again, I've seen The Who twice in recent years with my father-in-law, a die-hard fan of all forms of 70s rock, and yet the second time he honestly felt The Magic Numbers blew them away... They were very, very good, and took both of us by surprise. My point is, I'm not part of this slightly mythical 'nostalgia-obsessed' younger generation mentioned in the original post here. There is great music from all eras - believe it or not!

I, for one, have no problem with bands reforming. What's more, I have no problem with their motivation (though in an ideal world I'd rather they were doing it for musical reasons). In fact, I'd actively encourage them to do it. And yet, I'm aware of the irony in the fact that I'm glad The Beatles never had the opportunity to ruin their legacy (especially in the 80s... what a horrible thought). But you can bet your bottom dollar I'd have been first in the queue for tickets had history panned out differently... And, of course, I wish Lennon had been given the chance.

I hope Led Zep do tour. Of course I do - I'm a fan without a ticket for the O2.

I understand these points.I just believe that many of the bands that you mention haven't delivered the goods. I've found The Who's subsequent releases to be awful. I saw them at Glastonbury and found their performance flat, tired and like watching two former stars being carried by a backing band.

For me, the true essence of why they played together in the first place is lost. That mysterious spirit of rock and roll, the innocence of youth, not to mentio the energy and passion.

It's less about image and what they look like, more about dignity and credibility. And RELEVANCE!

Also, as for The Doors, they ended in every way for me when Morrison died. He pretty much was the Doors. Yes, the Beatles ended bitterly, but still at a point where people were still salivating for more. you know what I mean.

Well, I'll concede that there is a question of consistency at this age (or at any age, to a point). I think The Who have probably been hit-and-miss in a live situation. I saw some footage and thought "glad I wasnt at that gig" but the ones I did see personally were great.

Sorry to be a drag but I really think that Led Zeppelin should have ended for good with Bonham's death. I always boasted to my friends that Led Zep were the one band who knew about mystique and legacy, and that they thankfully had the nous to call it a day and preserve their career as one sacred 12-year burst of brilliance. So why the hell this? Much as I would obviously not turn down the chance to be there if somebody offered me a ticket, looking at it objectively, it just seems that this concert ruins the aura that Jimmy Page so carefully created around the band. They were gods of youthful rock 'n' roll, legendary and mysterious in their own time and even more so since, with the sensible decision to stay holy. Now this one random concert spoils all that and will show Zep 30 years older and with a different drummer - in a word, human. I don't want Led Zeppelin to be human. Think about it - that's not as unreasonable as it first seems.

Here's the problem, one minute you say its ruining the whole Zeppelin thing and they shouldnt do it, but you admit you'd snap up a ticket if you could. You cant have it both ways, either you want the music or you dont. I'm not trying to be a drag either, but personally I dont buy the "rock God" bullshit anymore. Its all about music. The power is in the music, and the individuals that create it are just very talented humans. I dunno, its just my current opinion... If the gig is rubbish maybe I'll change my mind ;)

But although you state it being ironic, I think the point that you make about the Beatles and how great it is that they never got the chance to ruin their legacy totally encapsulates my point. I had always liked the way Led Zeppelin had previously never done such a thing.

But although you state it being ironic, I think the point that you make about the Beatles and how great it is that they never got the chance to ruin their legacy totally encapsulates my point. I had always liked the way Led Zeppelin had previously never done such a thing.

Can they really tarnish what they've done?

Led Zeppelin kind of has a free pass because they were never in the limelight as far as the press goes.

The Beatles were the shit, especially when it came to the media. Led Zeppelin was the band you liked if you were in the know.

The rest of world has kind of woken up and said "oh yeah I guess they were the greatest rock band ever".

I think the reunion will solidify what wasn't in the press before, instead of tarnish what they have accomplished.

Yeah they went out on top in 1980, but they never got a chance to say goodbye. I'd rather they have closure as individuals than us as fans.

I certainly hope this isn't goodbye, but at least the opportunity is there for them.

How many people here, or people that are attending the gig actually know that for sure?

Well, it's a matter of personal opinion, isn't it.

I've seen the Who (admittedly post-Moon), the Stones, Cream, Springsteen, Pink Floyd, and hundreds of other bands over the years. Zeppelin were certainly the best band I ever saw. I could easily imagine the Who at their peak would have been as good, and I'm sure Hendrix was in the same league, but that's about it from my experience.

All of that is romantic bull.... a musician's favourite thing in the world to do is play, and if it sounds good, who cares about the politics behind it?

I trust Led Zeppelin's judgement; I have faith that whatever they decide to do will be the 'right thing.' If they want to tour, then it must be for good reason. Just like how they're doing this show. I can't see them just up and deciding to milk the cash cow all of a sudden, when they could have been doing it for years. Perhaps there are other bands who reunite cause they need a buck (I find it hard to judge though, because maybe they just enjoy playing), but Led Zeppelin has always been very different from any other band. Have we forgotten that?

There's never a shortage of purists.

hello all

my story about the reunion concert is the following.

Since summer I use to fall in love with the song "Kashmir" published as fan video at youtube.

Often I listen to the clip an while hearing I felt yearning for "Led Zeppelin".

I entered the name into my browser and found a black side with their signs on. I took a screenshot of this side. Their was only one single link at this black side late summer this year.

The link gave visitors the chance to sing up with it´s email adress in case there will be a change happend.

I registred my email with hope and what can I say

here we are!

With a big smile in my face and thanks to Led Zeppelin.

p. s

and I have a theory about the name "mothership". Because the mother from Mr. Bonham jr. was the fathers ship for this event.

Can they really tarnish what they've done?

Only for the shallow. The "shambolic" :D reunions of the past didn't tarnish them much.

Led Zeppelin kind of has a free pass because they were never in the limelight as far as the press goes.

The Beatles were the shit, especially when it came to the media. Led Zeppelin was the band you liked if you were in the know.

The rest of world has kind of woken up and said "oh yeah I guess they were the greatest rock band ever".

I think the reunion will solidify what wasn't in the press before, instead of tarnish what they have accomplished.

Yes, agreed.

This all seems more professional, orchestrated and media-savvy than we've ever seen from them before. Because now, they can cut out the media, in large part. iTunes, Websites, XM radio, re-releases, simultaneous TV and print interviews, much of it in the colors of banishment, protection and exorcism, black, white and red... very interesting indeed.

The more I think on it, the more I believe this can't all be in service to a one night stand; and I sure hope it's not in service purely to merchandising. Alot of it is aimed squarely at younger people, pulling in a new generation of fans. Sure the back catalog can sustain that, but, how much cooler will it be if there's new music to come?

Yeah they went out on top in 1980, but they never got a chance to say goodbye. I'd rather they have closure as individuals than us as fans.

I certainly hope this isn't goodbye, but at least the opportunity is there for them.

Nicely said. Only I don't see the happenings of 1980 as going out on top. First, they've stayed on top throughout the years. Second, it was more of a crash and burn than a chosen going out... it's never felt complete or natural to me, as I suspect it hasn't for JP, RP, or JPJ...

My hope is that thier closure as individuals is something that also can be closure for us as fans.

Here's the problem, one minute you say its ruining the whole Zeppelin thing and they shouldnt do it, but you admit you'd snap up a ticket if you could. You cant have it both ways, either you want the music or you dont. I'm not trying to be a drag either, but personally I dont buy the "rock God" bullshit anymore. Its all about music. The power is in the music, and the individuals that create it are just very talented humans. I dunno, its just my current opinion... If the gig is rubbish maybe I'll change my mind ;)

I don't think it's true that I'm trying to have it both ways. I'm saying that as a huge Led Zeppelin fan, if somebody held out a ticket in front of me, there is obviously no human way I could resist. But, that, objectively speaking, I think that it would be a better thing if they just held true to their conviction that when its over its over. I don't think that's a contradiction. I don't like the 'rock God' thing either, its idiotic - I was just trying to make a point; I think that, while the music is obviously the main thing, its not the only thing. Surely what millions of people the world over are in love with is the whole package - the great music, the legends, the aura, the personalities. I don't think that's shallow - that's just ennertainment folks. It just seems, in an almost artistic sense, better to leave a great part of history as just that. The issue isn't whether they'll be able to put on as good a show (although, I have a hard time imagining that they'll have the same vitality, and Robert certainly won't be leaping around the stage), and I genuinely believe that it isn't for money - they're Led Zeppelin for christ's sake, and its only one show anyway. The issue is that, like it or not, the mythical aspect of Led Zeppelin was a big part of their appeal. Perhaps you purely listen to the albums and disassociate them from the band themselves, if so, I guess that's you. But I don't mind admitting that the seductive appeal of Led Zeppelin is more than just the fantastic records. The painfully tantalizing knowledge that they would never play live again was part of what it was to be a Led Zeppelin fan. It was painful, but there was also a kind of pride in it - my guys have the wisdom to know when less is more, unlike the Stones or the Who. So, I dunno, I don't think its an absolutely terrible idea, I don't think its for money, and I do think they'll probably pull off a decent show. I just think that, looking at their career as a whole, 12 years of greatness makes a lot more sense than 12 years of greatness and one random show as old men.

Oh and for the record, the album Robert has out with Alison Krauss right now is great! I have no problem with musicians having a 'post-x' career, changing, releasing new material, as long as its worthy of it. But Zeppelin - leave it alone, please!

Led Zeppelin ended 27 years ago. That's not to say the remaining three should never have anything to do musically together again. It is to say one fourth of Led Zeppelin is not going to be present and as such anything they'll ever attempt together is at worst an approximation and at best an evolution of the original.

:blink:

Archived