Robert Plant and Alison Krauss at MSG - 6/11/2008

Just saw Robert Plant and Alison Krauss at MSG - 6/11/2008

Well Robert Plant and Alison Krauss was different.

A little Zep, very little

Plant looked strong and voice solid

Alison Krauss nice voice

T-Bone Burnett a cross between Hunts Hall

And the guitar player in Cheap Trick.

It was more carnival atmosphere and country music in my opinion.

If your a die hard Alison Krauss fan you will love it.

If your a die hard Robert Plant fan you will wonder how much longer he will keep doing this

And why........................

And get back to the Mighty Rearrange group or just tour one more time with Jimmy.

New York is a cosmopolitan destination, especially Madison Square Garden. It's good for them to hear country, but that New York audience can be demanding and hard to please. That's Why some people end up rocking.

What are you on about with New York City Honey? Are you a native New Yorker? Please stop telling us we're demanding and hard to please. I was at both shows and the audience was fantastic. Very supportive of their stuff, not just the few Zep songs. No one shouted anything other than their names. Get off it.

It's certainly been my observation over the years that New Yorkers have proven to be demanding and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV4CnauVtKs, and I think that James Brown's comments support that.

The first time I came to Apollo Theatre I started singing real hard, and I had been throwing my tie out everywhere and they were eating it up. I threw it out at the Apollo Theatre and they threw it back to me. I said, James, you got some work to do.

It's certainly been my observation over the years that New Yorkers have proven to be demanding and hard to please, and I see nothing to convince me otherwise, definitely not your remarks. Good day to you.

It never ends with you does it, Honey? :rolleyes:

Both of my parents (and aunts, uncles and grandparents) were native New Yorkers, and they were never demanding and also easy to please.

Good day to you too. :beer:

Just saw Robert Plant and Alison Krauss at MSG - 6/11/2008

It was more carnival atmosphere and country music in my opinion.

If your a die hard Alison Krauss fan you will love it.

If your a die hard Robert Plant fan you will wonder how much longer he will keep doing this

And get back to the Mighty Rearrange group or just tour one more time with Jimmy.

Ouch! I was there and didn't get that sense at all. The 'country music' was so dressed-up in hard rock, it was a completely different animal (other than Alison's solos). More geared to Robert fans (not necessarily Zep heads) than to Alison fans in my opinion. In any event, I found it to be both novel and refreshing.

Ouch! I was there and didn't get that sense at all. The 'country music' was so dressed-up in hard rock, it was a completely different animal (other than Alison's solos). More geared to Robert fans (not necessarily Zep heads) than to Alison fans in my opinion. In any event, I found it to be both novel and refreshing.

dressed-up in hard rock....that's what it's called now...lol

He was on the stage for half the time

Doing back up singing with 2 other fellows

It was entertaining if your wanting that experience.

He looked good

Sounded great

Maybe I've just seen hi 2 many times.

I agree. He increased her visibility.

She has more Grammys than he does. He only increased her visibility among Zeppelin fans. And she didn't need the publicity. Why do people insist on making this a "profits move" as opposed to a mutual musical exploration for the sake of the joy of it? I don't get it.

I know Robert Plant has, but I wonder if Alison Krauss has ever played at Madison Square Garden before. Madison Square Garden has a history that dates back a little ways to P.T. Barnum.

Madison Square Garden derives its name from the park where the first two gardens were located (Madison Square) on Madison Avenue at 26th Street. As the venue moved to new locations the name still stuck, although since 1925 Madison Square Garden has been neither a garden nor on Madison Square.

1879-1890

Madison Square Garden I.The location of the first Madison Square Garden (now known as Madison Square Garden I), was at 26th Street and Madison Avenue. The site was formerly occupied by the passenger depot of the New York and Harlem Railroad. When the depot was moved to what is now the site of Grand Central Terminal in 1871, the old depot was sold to P.T. Barnum who converted it into "Barnum's Monster Classical and Geological Hippodrome." In 1876 Barnum's was converted into "Gilmore's Garden," an open air arena named in honor of Patrick Gilmore. Gilmore was America's most well-known bandmaster at the time. His most famous composition was "When Johnny Comes Marching Home."

Finally, Gilmore's Garden was renamed "Madison Square Garden" by William Henry Vanderbilt and the facility was reopened to the public on May 31, 1879. The first Garden was originally designed for the sport of track cycling. This is still remembered in the name of the Madison event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Square_Garden

Wow, how deftly you managed to skirt my whole point. Okay, if you want to be base, how many times has Robert played the Grand Ol' Opry? There's a ton of fuckers who'd call that a big deal. Including one Robert Plant. I'm sure he'd be thrilled! God, this is so academic! I have friends who've played the LA Forum, and you know what? They sell cars for a living.

But they played the Forum! :beer:

I told this story about Tuesday night's show to Middlezep, thought I'd post it here:

You won't believe this; my buddy and I decided to go yesterday afternoon, we figured we'd just show up and scalp. I got to the Garden around 7:00 and decided to walk up to the ticket window to see if they had anything left before I went to a scalper. And they did; 2 seats, front row center, $100 a seat! How does that happen? We were like 12 feet away from Robert and Allison all night!

I agree with you the show was amazing and the sound was incredible. Front row seats and my ears didn't even hurt! In The Mood was a highlight for me and I thought Your Long Journey was a great closer.

Wow! That's really a nice surprise.

I still for the life of me can't understand how that happened!

By the way, at the end of the show when everyone was taking their bows at the front of the stage, I made eye contact with Robert and gave him a salute. He laughed and saluted back. Unbelievable!

That's hilarious! My boyfriend flashed a peace sign at a concert once much the same way, and Ronnie Wood flashed a peace sign back. I thought it was so funny, because I knew they had never met each other in their lives. There they were acting like long lost friends.

There have been other reports , Its delusional to think Everyone has bought into raising sand out of groveling homage to alison, if any other male singer than Robert Plant was the leading THIS project NEVER would have had notoriety it has.

--and--

I agree. He increased her visibility.

True. And his visibility/notoriety has been increased of late due to a little concert he had with some famous guys in London back in December. ;)

I still for the life of me can't understand how that happened!

By the way, at the end of the show when everyone was taking their bows at the front of the stage, I made eye contact with Robert and gave him a salute. He laughed and saluted back. Unbelievable!

That's unbelievably cool!! I guess they hold those front row seats for glitterati that don't show, eh?

There have been other reports , Its delusional to think Everyone has bought into raising sand out of groveling homage to alison, if any other male singer than Robert Plant was the leading THIS project NEVER would have had notoriety it has.

:wtf: Oh goody, another one with an axe to grind against Robert :rolleyes: People bought Raising Sand for a variety of reasons. What's the difference why they did. I was at TWO shows and I saw with my own eyes a heck of a lot of people enjoying the WHOLE show, not just the three zep numbers. Many of the people there were fans of her as well.

This project works because of the talent of the musicians, not their names.

Oh and Honey/Eternal Light - please don't make these assumptions based on a few things you've "heard" about New Yorkers. It's stereotyping and simply not a fair statement.

Novel is the supreme definitive word for this collaboration

That's unbelievably cool!! I guess they hold those front row seats for glitterati that don't show, eh?

Yeah, and imagine how disappointed they must have been when my and my buddy sauntered up with beers in hand! We were right next to a groupie who kept screaming stuff at Robert in all the most inappropriate times. My personal favorite:

"Tonight Robert! TONIGHT Robert! TONIGHT ROBERT! TONIGHT ROBERT!!!"

:lol:

I saw the show and thought it was wonderful. I loved it. I had heard of Alison but hadn't really heard any of her music other than Raising Sand. She was amazing. Goosebumps.

I went with some friends. One friend is a dyed-in-the-wool rocker, hadn't heard the Raising Sand CD and was only going to the concert to see Robert Plant. She kept saying "uh, I hope I'm not bored...blugrass, ick". When we left the concert, my headbanger friend was going "Alison was incredible. I would go see her without Robert Plant."

I was really impressed with Robert's singing during this show. I remember thinking that I knew he could sing but I didn't know he was so musical. LOVED IT.

New Yorker born and bred and everyone I went with was raving about what a great concert it was. I've been researching which Alison Krauss CD's I'm going to buy when I get my next paycheck. :-)

Love the colloboration between the 2 of them. Don't know why I kept thinking of the word organic, just sounded beautiful and like a natural living (as opposed to canned I guess) thing.

OK done babbling. Want more Robert and Allison.

Another clueless post from someone who just doesn't get it.

Actually, if you really are a die-hard Plant fan, you KNOW WHY he is doing this

and you don't wonder about it at all...it makes perfect sense.

He's having fun...she's having fun....and you better get used to more, as I hear

they're keen on making another record.

Good for them, I say. The more I read and hear some of the rude and classless

comments by so-called Zeppelin fans regarding the Plant/Krauss tour and

collaboration, the more I hope the Zeppelin reunion tour NEVER happens.

If I am lucky enough to bump into Plant at Amoeba while he is in L.A. for the

Greek shows, I am going to thank him for sticking to his guns and doing what

HE wants to do and when he wants to do it.

I've also got a couple of song suggestions for the next album should he and

Alison do record another one.

Can't wait for the Greek shows!

Archived