I want a refund!

danelectro59

There were a few that i've nearly walked out on.

The worst i can remember is The Stooges around 71. Seems that Scott Ashton was injured in an auto accident and was unable to perform, so instead of getting a professional drummer (or drummer period), they let sax player Steve Mackey fill in. I don't think this dude had ever had a pair of sticks in his hand, let alone sat behind a kit. As most of you know, Stooges music (although great) isn't the most complicated. Not like sitting in for Yes or King Crimson. What a debacle. I don't think they got through an entire song without stopping several times.

Well, I've seen Barry Manilow, Rich Astley, and Whitney Houston - but all for my wife's sake. Some parts of these were indeed horrible - but the Ramones beat all, with 100 % non stop horrible. But I knew that going in...

Well, I've seen Barry Manilow, Rich Astley, and Whitney Houston - but all for my wife's sake. Some parts of these were indeed horrible - but the Ramones beat all, with 100 % non stop horrible. But I knew that going in...

What a trooper!

I have to go it alone...although personally I'd rather do that than have a miserable other half! :D

OMFG, that must have been painful :o

I didn't know these folks even performed live.

Well if that's the case, then I have one even worse.

When I was in high school, they had a group called Up With People perform at a general assembly.

Most of the students had planned to skip out. When heading for the door, we found that each one was guarded by a faculty member. So in short, it was lockdown. Attendence was mandatory because of the anti drug message these guys were going to enlighten us with. Man, that was the longest hour in my life. Talk about a barf-a-thon. I can't ask for a refund because it was free, but I would like that hour back :D

Barry Manilow sang all show tunes, then asked who would like to join him for a duet at the piano. All the young women there screamed and threw bouquets of roses at him, hoping to get picked. We had good seats, front and center, but my wife shyly sank down in hers. So I jumped up and down, waving my arms at him. He looked right at me - like WTF, dude??? I've never been dragged to another show, since...

And you're still here among the living to warn others about it... :blink::D:rolleyes::)

R B)

When I was a kid, my parents drug me to numerous country music, bluegrass and gospel concerts. When I turned 18, I ran to the first rock concert, I could get to. Sadly though, it was Rick Springfield. :D I wish that I had got a refund, I could have bought a Led Zeppelin album. But LZ was persona non grata in my house growing up. So, I had never really listened to them. I probably would have bought a Pat Benetar album instead.

Believe or not Aerosmith in 1977, maybe this was their drug induced era, because they sucked big time! good thing I only paid $10 for the damn ticket.

Oh and The Cars, Linda Ronstadt both back in the 70's

LOL cool thread...I know he's a legend and all, but I saw Dylan as well, in his follow-the-bouncing-ball inarticulate phase, and he was dreadful. Part of it was just the expectations, being a fan and all. Part of it was also a really bad opening act for a Dylan concert, Moxy Fruvous, billed as a folk-rock group.

So here are these university boys singing in harmony, bopping around, only to be booed off the stage by die-hard Dylan fans who look like they haven't let go of the fact that 1975 moved on, yelling, "You guys are a bunch of faggots!" Worst. Pairing. Ever.

Well then the die-hard got their wish, and Dylan was abysmal. He had a great musicians with him, but his voice...uuuugggh

I couldn't ask for a refund, b/c I got in free, but Bob Dylan was almost unbearable to sit through.

The first time I saw Dylan live, in '75, he was good. Unfortunately, the second time was so unbearably painful to sit through that it was the last time that I ever saw him live.

Believe or not Aerosmith in 1977, maybe this was their drug induced era, because they sucked big time! good thing I only paid $10 for the damn ticket.

Oh and The Cars, Linda Ronstadt both back in the 70's

I believe it about Aerosmith in the late '70s. My favorite Aerosmith era was the early to mid 70's. After that, I think that there were a few years during which the hard drugs really took hold of them.

My friend's brother drove us hours to a Joe Cocker concert. He got sick on stage and we just left. We really should have stayed and asked for a refund.

When he was in college, my husband saw Kraftwerk live but none of their electronic equipment was working properly - they were an electronic band and my husband said that, without their equipment they were unable to do anything.

I remember sneaking in to see the sold out Frankie Valle and the Four Seasons. They were good. But I did walk out on Yes in the round back in the later 70's or early 80's-don't remember the date. It didn't sound good. But then again, I blame it more on the blotter acid someone slipped in my beer. Learned my lesson. Speed city! Trails, colors, kaleidoscope effect and all. Thought I would never survive it!

That's odd. I saw Yes and they blew me away! One of the best sounding concerts i've ever been to.

Must've been an off night for them, or, as you say, the acid.

One concert that I thought was gonna totally suck but turned out alright was Reba McIntire. If you knew me, you would know how much I despise most modern country music. But my ex-wife and her sister made me go as a designated driver. I was pleasantly surprised. She is an awesome singer and her band was totally professional, plus the sound was perfect. Not saying I would go again, but I was taken back. So you just never know :rolleyes:

Sometimes the singer isn't a name you would think would be enjoyable, but their band is actually pretty good - for what their constrained to play. My wife recently likes Josh Groban and Sarah McGlocklin, and the instrumentals aren't so bad, I've noticed...

The 2 worst shows I've seen nearly put me to 11.gif

The first was Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam's side project called Three Fish, and the second was Creed. Luckily I don't pay for either. But it was so bad, I still would've asked for a refund!

Well, I've seen Barry Manilow, Rich Astley, and Whitney Houston - but all for my wife's sake.

I drag my wife to most (but not all - I have to see Jethro Tull alone these days!) of the gigs I attend and I sometimes accompany her to concerts - Bruce Springsteen, U2, Neil Diamond, er - Tom Jones etc. For my sins she's a fan of the 'X - Factor' on UK TV and she got tickets to see a concert of all the finalists. Now I do have limits and this one was way off my limit so she arranged to go with someone else. Just days before the gig the other person pulled out which effectively meant that my wife wouldn't be going and so I fell on my sword and went with her. This was my first concert since the Zeppelin O2 gig and I was in denial for weeks afterwards, especially when people at work found out! At least I earned plenty of Brownie Points for that one.

Anyway, back on topic - I've seen many awful acts over the years, including Dylan, but the biggest dissapointment for me was the first time I saw David Bowie. This was on the 'Glass Spider' tour in 1987 and I'd been a big fan since I was quite small. This show was just everything I'd hoped it wouldn't be - a soulless revue with loads of heavily choreographed dancers; everyone had awful costumes and mullets and the stage was set up to look like a huge spider - and looked extraordinarily naff. I next saw him in 1990 on the 'Sound & Vision' tour and he had a stripped down band a stage set and it was far, far better.

Michelle Shocked (basically a folk musician) at The Birchmere in Arlington, VA. My wife owned a couple of her CDs and I was really enjoying them. We were both looking forward to the show......Shocked was in the process of recording a new CD using Latin and other world (for lack of a better word) music...The show was basically a rehearsal of the music to appear on the new CD. Oh, to make matters worse, some of her better know songs were played using people from the audience who showed up early to rehearse with the band. Two thirds of the way through the performance we left, as did 75% of the crowd. The review in the paper was brutal.

Pat Benetar in 1986. She had these pants on that made her look like she had a fat butt, even though she doesn't. She has been fighting against the image she created herself.

Even her fans were a real drag to talk to.

If Pat ever does something nice musically again, OK. If I never hear anything from her again, I don't really care.

I call it, "Pat Benetar Syndrome" whenever female artist start to act like they have to act more mature when they get older. This often happens when they become mothers. Pat was stuck down with this very early in her career when she became a mother.

Wow, that's too bad. She was such a great singer, you'd think she'd give a great concert! Do you remember Creem magazine? They had the funniest captions for their photos. There was one of her, and her quote was something about not wanting to tour while pregnant. The Creem caption was "Too bad your mama didn't try it, antface." I loved PB, but I laughed my ass off at that. I remember another one of Stephen Pearcy from Ratt, and a quote of his about his band's talent. The Creem response was a photo of a gap- toothed Jimmy Page with the caption, "I've got more talent between me teeth!" :lol:

Sorry, off topic, but I thought of it when you mentioned PB.

Pat Benetar in 1986. She had these pants on that made her look like she had a fat butt, even though she doesn't. She has been fighting against the image she created herself.

Even her fans were a real drag to talk to.

If Pat ever does something nice musically again, OK. If I never hear anything from her again, I don't really care.

I call it, "Pat Benetar Syndrome" whenever female artist start to act like they have to act more mature when they get older. This often happens when they become mothers. Pat was stuck down with this very early in her career when she became a mother.

Interesting. I think she is really hot looking, especially in a couple of her videos. I recently did a google image search on her. I was looking for a picture of her to post on the beautiful women thread. Not much out there. I do like a lot of her music and her husband Neil Geraldo is a good guitar player.

Wow, that's too bad. She was such a great singer, you'd think she'd give a great concert! Do you remember Creem magazine? They had the funniest captions for their photos. There was one of her, and her quote was something about not wanting to tour while pregnant. The Creem caption was "Too bad your mama didn't try it, antface." I loved PB, but I laughed my ass off at that. I remember another one of Stephen Pearcy from Ratt, and a quote of his about his band's talent. The Creem response was a photo of a gap- toothed Jimmy Page with the caption, "I've got more talent between me teeth!" :lol:

Sorry, off topic, but I thought of it when you mentioned PB.

Lol! Good on Creem...tellin' it like it is.

I've been to lots of punk shows, so I've seen tons of horrendous opening bands. The only big, professional-type event that really pissed me off was the venue for Roger Waters. The show itself was great, but that goddamn amphitheater in Orange County where it was held is a huge P.O.S. It's built on this insaaaanely steep and long hill, so if you have crappy seats (like I did) you're just about ready to collapse into a pile and take a nap by the time you get there. Plus, it took us 45 minutes just to get from our seats at the top back down to the bottom level of the thing because there's this skinny-ass walkway with a chain link fence on the outside, which gets all blocked up because of the line for the bathrooms halfway down. If a fire had started, we would have all been cooked like the Christmas goose, because we were not moving at all. Let Roger keep his cut of the profits, but give me back the part that goes to the venue. Never go to Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine, that's all I can say.

Whitesnake at the Birmingham NEC on the '1987' tour.

I guess it was great for those with morbid curiosity, watching Covernote & his faceless band of Kens unravelling the band's reputation.

A girl sat behind us having an epileptic fit was the unexpected highlight of a very long evening! :o

saw rush for their 'grace under pressure' tour...played every song from the album and boy was it painful. the crowd was booing during every song...i felt sorry for them

one other that comes to mind was a melissa etheridge concert, but not for her performance, it was excellent. it was her first tour, she hadn't "come out" yet and i had no clue...that is until i went to the bathroom and had to walk past a whole row of very masculine women who i thought were waiting in line...nope, they said, go right ahead...i had to walk past all of them and into a stall where i then had to force myself to pee while they all listened. in the stall...my brain was in a panic... i have to walk past them all again to exit!...survived, but very indimidating!

OMFG, that must have been painful :o

I didn't know these folks even performed live.

Well if that's the case, then I have one even worse.

When I was in high school, they had a group called Up With People perform at a general assembly.

Most of the students had planned to skip out. When heading for the door, we found that each one was guarded by a faculty member. So in short, it was lockdown. Attendence was mandatory because of the anti drug message these guys were going to enlighten us with. Man, that was the longest hour in my life. Talk about a barf-a-thon. I can't ask for a refund because it was free, but I would like that hour back :D

I think I saw them in the sixth grade. Up up with people you meet em wherever you go, up up with people their the best kinda folks we know. I think that was their theme song. Man they sucked! :hysterical:

saw rush for their 'grace under pressure' tour...played every song from the album and boy was it painful. the crowd was booing during every song...i felt sorry for them

I'm really shocked about that. I'm not a Rush fan, but I figured that most people who go to see them would practically worship them... or at least not boo. lol

Archived