Obsession? Midlife Crisis?

zengac

i've always been a huge fan and it turned into a huger obsession after i formed a zep cover band. since then i've purchased a bunch of jimmy-page-like guitars, a marshall amp, a jimmy page action figure, an autographed jimmy page post from ABC Trust, a john paul jones autograph, too many books, etc, etc, etc. hell, i quit the band a year ago and most of this stuff was purchased after i left the band. most importantly, i started collecting zep live recordings like i'd done a few years ago, but i decided that i wouldn't stop until i had recordings from every known recorded gig. i've completed that project! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
I am absolutely obsessed lately with this band! I was back in 1980 (was only 13 years old then)... I had every single album, poster, t-shirt, etc. and had to know every single thing I could about them. But of course, we didn't have the internet then. Plus I had never seen them perform live. I've always loved them but I guess some of my obsession died down for a while... Well, with the buzz about this upcoming concert, Mothership, the VH1 Classics show, etc., my obsession is worse then ever! I literally have been listening to them all day, every day... and I'm not even close to being sick of it! I think my family thinks I'm nuts. Is this normal?? :o I'm chalking it up to my mid life crisis... hey, I could think of worse things to obsess over! I know my Zeppelin friends on this board will totally understand but I need some reassurance that I'm not crazy!! This band is just sooooo addictive.. I just can't get enough of them!!! :P

I too understand I have been obsessing over them also, most of all jp.... feel like a teenager again ,but man I wish I could meet him that would be a dream come true, if I had a chance I would marry him!!! now does that sound crazy.I love everthing about him!!! thanks for listening.

It's because they are so f'in great, that's why we all obsess over Zeppelin, the music never wears, it stays vital, complex, dynamic, and futuristic at the same time, I always hear new details on all 4 instruments no matter how many times I hear it, which is in the tens of thousands at this point. Rush is like that too, but not quite at Zeppelin's level, which is saying alot. Page's production serves it up like a champ, clarity, atmosphere, diversity, detail, spontaneity, and bone-crushing power. WHAT MORE CAN ANYBODY POSSIBLY ASK OUT OF A ROCK BAND? Kashmir is HUGE sounding on Mothership. No Quarter ain't too shabby either, Jones bass pedals can rattle the dingleberries right outta your fudge kicker, and pronto. Led Zeppelin is some seriously hot shit that just gets better with time. All other bands MUST wave the white flag in defeat. It's over. Led Zeppelin won.

I'm so glad to have a place like this to air my obsession... the people in my life are getting a bit sick of my Led Zeppism. Not that I care much but I wish I had someone here that was as enthusiastic about them as I am. I too would love to meet them but think I would probably die right on the spot!! Someone would have to tell me afterwards, "No really, he was standing right there in front of you.. you reached out to shake his hand and passed right out, so he left!!" :o

I totally agree though, there is no one that tops Zep. They are the best and always will be in my book. Jimmy Page to me, is a musical genius.

But only my husband calls it a "crisis"

I say "crisis? what crisis?"!!!! (sorry different band lyric!!!)

:lol:

I never stopped listening to LZ, their music has been with me for most of my life, so my husband would never call it "crisis". He considers my love for LZ as a part of me...and he couldn't be more understanding about it. He has known me like this, he is as supportive as one can be...besides he loves LZ music too. No "crisis" there. ^_^

i want a girlfriend who loves zep as i do, any around?

i met up with a girl from high school just recently after many years (23), she re-ignited my zep spark and i hers.

i always loved them, but kinda felt unfaithful to them for a little while as i was experiencing other music/bands/genres.

but i'm back and in love again ;)

I am with you guys... I am driving my girlfriend nuts. I think that music fans have been primed for Zeppelin to explode right now (figuratively) Bands like the un-ironic White Stripes have made it ok to rock out again with reckless abandon.

I think the age of the anti-rock star is coming to a close.

here here guys I try to keep it under wraps....my ol man is like "enough already" but he knows that Zeppelin means a whole lot to me--It may have started out a total infatuation w/Jimmy after readin an interview of his in guitar mag but in the end it helped to get me out of a horrible depression--helped me be a able to take that hard look at myself and make some changes...Not to mention spurred my hitchhikin to n'orleans that turned into a 4 yr love affair and gave me my now 17yr ol daughter, Briita.

Sure wish I'd a been here earlier to have been apart of angel pages(maybe other way round) book(its in the forums somewhere "jimmy's gift") I would have loved to been a part of that.

Anyway I'll be pokin round here now hopin theres a tour announcent for god knows how long. Cause I wanna be there...I wanna I wanna.... I wannnnnna!!

and hey a little fantasy is ok right? never hurt nobody? :wacko:

another thing, back when i discovered the band, we had no internet, so this is a great venue for bringing us together from all over the world to share, and quickly!

back then, i had to travel to share/discuss and enjoy the music with another led hed., lol

so the technology nowadays allows us to do converse in this forum, thus exposing the band (in a good way)and creating a bustle and getting our 'fix' ;)

Couldn't identify more with all of you who are feeling obsessive about the Zep! Lost my job in November and had a trippy night with LZ III shortly afterward...literally wept when I was listening to That's the Way. I feel like I've been too distracted from the essence of life and they are reminding me of what really ignites my passions. Can't get them off my stereo...actually I live in a three-story home and each floor has its own stereo and each stereo has its own stack of LZ CD's nearby...my husband is totally amused. When he and I first met I asked him what he was like as a teenager, and he said as a teen he thought all of life's mysteries could be answered in Led Zeppelin songs. :D I thought that was totally sweet, and now I've dug out his whole collection and I'm playing them 'round the clock. I find that they are becoming so spliced with my consciousness that I have these weird hypnotic dream states in which I hear their lyrics rippling through my mind as I am half asleep. It's so divine to succumb to art so wholly! We are lucky folks. :rolleyes:

Ahhh yes, That's The Way...gotta be one of the best songs ever written. So good, and just think of that 1-2-3-4 punch on side 2 of Zep III....Gallow's Pole, Tangerine, That's The Way, and Bron-Y-Aur Stomp. Not too shabby. Side 1 ain't too bad either!! Zeppelin III is one of the all-time great albums in history...rock, blues, folk, it's all there, and well-done is an understatement.

And those bass lines by JPJ on Gallow's Pole? Holy shit does Jones cook on that! Doesn't get any better...until "STH" on the next album. "The Rain Song" 2 albums later! And Kashmir 3 albums later!! Or ALS 4 albums later!! Or "I'm Gonna Crawl" 5 albums later, and everything in between!

hi everyone like i said earlier iam totaly obsessed!! iam a single mom, and my kids have been into rap, so now that iam living in total zeppelin world they dont understand, it drives me crazy. i try and show them what real talent is , i think my 15 yr old son is starting to realalize the importance of the musical genius of lz. but it is frustrating, so iam so glad about this sight to talk to everyone , my older brother is about the only one that understands for he is the one who got me into them back in 1975 thank god for that. but sometimes i do feel a little silly like tring to be a teenager again. but iam not it just happens and it is pure joy!!!!

It's funny because my husband kids me about my obsession and I know he's kidding... it's not like he really doesn't want me to listen to Zep or anything. But it still makes me feel so weird!! I think part of it is that the obsession seems to have come from nowhere. I was obsessed at a kid (before I met my husband) but then it cooled somewhat. Don't get me wrong.. I always loved Zep... played their CD's, always left them on when I heard them on the radio. So he knew I loved them but it seems like since November, I've been non-stop. I literally listen to them every single day, I always have the XMLed channel on in the car, I watch the DVD's, visit these boards, check the news, etc. If I had been this nuts all along, by now, he'd be used to it! But it's true, we didn't have the internet when I first became obsessed so I never saw half the pictures I've now seen (OMG... REALLY nice pics of the guys!!), we didn't have a channel on the radio that plays only Zep, the reunion concert last month has stirred up alot of passion, Robert Plant is touring with Alison Krauss... so Zep is everywhere right now. I'm so thankful for these boards which is why I've been hanging out so much here. But I do wish I had a local Zeppelin buddy to obsess with!!

Sorry for another long post but I think I figured out why I'm so nuts and I'm guessing this might sound familiar. First of all, I am a passionate person.. when I'm into something, I'm really into it. As a kid, when I first discovered Zep, all I had were their albums. So to me, they were this really great band that sounded awesome... but that's it, that's all I knew of them. Then I got this little fanzine which had a few pics and short bio's on the guys. It gave their birthdays for example (which I celebrated faithfully!) and had a few nice pictures. I loved them so much and I loved knowing anything about them. Like knowing about Robert's son... I hated that that happened to him of course, but I loved knowing it because it made him so real... he wasn't just some guy in a band, he was a real person. I often thought about him loosing his son and imagined what it must have felt like for him. I sort of grieved for him in a way (stop laughing, I was only a kid!!). When Jimmy had to defend the black magic curse crap, I felt for him. I have no idea what he was into but I know damn sure that he didn't cause any curse on his band... his bandmates... his friends... his "brothers." Knowing about that though made him real. Without the internet back then, that's all I had though. I was young so I didn't watch the news or anything so I never saw anything about them. I'm embarrassed to admit this as a fan, but I had never seen The Song Remains the Same until 12/10/07, nor had I seen the 2003 DVD's. I don't know why but I didn't even know they were out b/c there is no way I would not have bought them in 2003. I wanted to see more, know more about them, etc. but just accepted the fact that this was all I had.... great music, a few pics and few details about their lives and who they were. It was like having a few really delicious... but really limited treats that you had to savor because there were no more to be had. I was happy to get whatever I could and learned to be happy with it! Until recently, with all the hype, I have to admit, it never occurred to me that I could sit at my computer, google Led Zeppelin and find all of this great stuff! When I finally did realize it, it was like having an all you can eat buffet of Zeppelin treats right at my fingertips!!! How could I NOT go crazy and pig out, right?!! Seeing all of this stuff has made them real again. Even knowing some of the negative stuff... the mud shark incident for example. I had never heard that story before. Never saw them perform on stage.. never saw all these pictures that are online... never heard them speak in interviews... never knew much about their families, etc. I know alot of that stuff is personal but knowing it makes them real and I love that. Had I realized I could have been experiencing all this other stuff online, I would have been feeding my obsession right along. Knowing them makes me love them even more and having all this new stuff to think about, look at, wonder about, etc. is like re-discovering this band that I loved so much as a kid, but had so little exposure to back then... the good thing about this internet Led Zeppelin all you can eat buffet is that I can come back and visit any time I want to and I seriously plan on becoming real "fat" on Zep stuff!!!! Anyway, again.. sorry for the long post but thanks for providing me such a great way to express my feelings. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!! :D

I think I said this in another thread, but I am re-obssessed all over again! I got into them when I was 12 back during Live Aid and then on MTV they used to play TSRTS and Robert Plant's videos and Radioactive by the Firm and it was all very exciting to watch. Throughout the years, I got into lots of other artists and lost touch with Zep, although I always liked them, but there was no messageboards then. Last year on VH1 Classic I saw TSRTS again and all of it came back to me and I found this messageboard and now with all the renewed interested from the O2 concert and Robert touring with Alison Krauss and their great CD, I just can't get enough! It is just so refreshing to share my love for these guys with all my fellow Zeppelin fans!! :)

• 1 month later...
I am absolutely obsessed lately with this band! I was back in 1980 (was only 13 years old then)... I had every single album, poster, t-shirt, etc. and had to know every single thing I could about them. But of course, we didn't have the internet then. Plus I had never seen them perform live. I've always loved them but I guess some of my obsession died down for a while... Well, with the buzz about this upcoming concert, Mothership, the VH1 Classics show, etc., my obsession is worse then ever! I literally have been listening to them all day, every day... and I'm not even close to being sick of it! I think my family thinks I'm nuts. Is this normal?? :o I'm chalking it up to my mid life crisis... hey, I could think of worse things to obsess over! I know my Zeppelin friends on this board will totally understand but I need some reassurance that I'm not crazy!! This band is just sooooo addictive.. I just can't get enough of them!!! :P

Hi, Zengac!

I´m a newbie here, but I have read your writing and I was very impressed, because I have quite the same "problem" ( but not for me, only for some people who think, I´m crazy-LOL). I´m a LZ fan about one month ( yes you hear right, I discovered them before a short time, though I know and listen to them nearly 30 years, but now it is a real mania). I must say I have a similar experience, because I´m also a big fan of the group Kiss. Somebody could think, that it isn´t a band- only a joke -LOL, but I love them since 1981, when I was 16. Later I have a little forgotten them, because of marriage, personal problems etc. And two years ago I have discovered them again and since I´m a great fanatic of them. My favourite member was always Ace Frehley, because he seems so beautiful to me... and now you can also think, I´m crazy, because Robert looks like a human being , while Ace was all the years hidden behind mysterious makeup and dressed in the costume of Spaceman.But I adored his hair and his beautiful brown eyes, his guitar (Jimmy Page was his great idol and influence) I have a Kiss corner in my flat where I have posters, pics, Mc Fralane figures. I have all CD from them, also from Ace´s solo carreer. And so I want to tell you- your enthusiasm is wonderfull, and you must hold on, because to adore such star is one of the most beautiful things in the life. I understand you very well, because I have also fallen in love with Robert some days ago- I couldn´t resist, how could I miss him for all the years? He has such an exciting voice, he is gorgeous. I love his hair, his smile... and also his jeans- you know what I´m talking about-LOL!!!

So now I´m in love with the two most gorgeous stars ever and it´s a little weird- maybe I have also a midlife crisis? I´m very glad that I have found people with the same dreams, thoughts and I say: go on! It´s great.

Maybe I will make also a little LZ corner :)

I have made a graphic of them both- the are like day and night, both beautiful

DayandNight.jpg

Wow, I though I was the only geezer who felt that way again! I was 15 years old in 1969 when the first Led Zeppelin album came out, and I was hooked. Bought every LP, was lucky enough to see them live in 1973, even started playing like Bonzo (I was-- still am-- a drummer) and bought an oversized Ludwig kit!!

Then I started getting interested in "other things" (and other music) in the 80s and sort of drifted away from LZ. (The last LZ album I bought/heard was In Through the Out Door.) Then with all the hubbub about the reunion, Mothership, etc., I went back and started listening again... and felt like I was 15 again!

This MUST be my favorite thread since signing on here.

3 weeks ago some friends down the street had a big party. Lots of friends, all 40's in age, lot's of chit-chat. SO, a few drinks into the night, the music starts playing. First came James Taylor, then Steeley Dan, Meatloaf, Paul Simon, CELINE DION(!!!) etc. I had finally had enough. I announced that i was walking back home to get my "special dvd". Oh gosh, they said. Whatever could it be? SO, i come marching in, told the host to get me hooked up with his home theatre, and clear the tracks...in goes the Zep dvd and UP goes the volume!

SHOCK!

My buddy's frilly wife comes up and asks me what the hell i think i'm doing. I answer that i am bored to tears and it's time to watch history in action. SHe states that the selection is "inappropriate" and that i'm going to ruin the party. Oh yeah? i said. Just take one good look at the crowd and tell me what exactly is wrong with this picture say's I. Well, wouldn't you know that at least 50 people are crowded around the Plasma and are RIVETED. Shirts become unbuttoned, the drinks are refilled, people are SMILING, letting their hair down, NOT TALKING ABOUT THE FUCKING KIDS!

Fast forward to 2am...Frilly wife is wearing nothing but a bra and shorts, with a euphoric glow on her face. Physical Grafitti blasts from the speakers, people are happy in their middle age. They are free from the trappings of alway's trying to be responsible. The crowd has revisited the concept of fun and they are quite enjoying themselves. Skinny dipping in the hot tub seems quite popular at this time of night

Suffice to say, the neighborhood is still talking about our great party and the epiphany that was the Zep dvd.

The moral of the story: Celine Dion can lead to a shortened lifespan while LZ has been medically proven to prolong youth and life itself.

It doesn't have to end at 40. In fact, it's where it all begins. :D

I wrote about my newfound Zeppelin love last year on my blog. The entry is too long so I will just give the link:

In The Days of My Youth

To make a long story short, it took me awhile to fully appreciate the musicianship of Led Zeppelin. For a long time I had the whole backwards masking Satanic stuff shoved down my throat (you know, Stairway played backwards says "Here's to my sweet Satan" and all that crap), so that's all I could see. But last year I discovered bootlegs on the Internet, and while I was downloading all the Dylan and Kiss I could find I decided to try some Zeppelin. Holy cr*p, what a revelation. In a period of my life when I have two disabled kids (autism) and a wife who may not be my wife much longer, Led Zeppelin (and Eric Clapton) give me a release, a chance to just escape for awhile.

This MUST be my favorite thread since signing on here.

3 weeks ago some friends down the street had a big party. Lots of friends, all 40's in age, lot's of chit-chat. SO, a few drinks into the night, the music starts playing. First came James Taylor, then Steeley Dan, Meatloaf, Paul Simon, CELINE DION(!!!) etc. I had finally had enough. I announced that i was walking back home to get my "special dvd". Oh gosh, they said. Whatever could it be? SO, i come marching in, told the host to get me hooked up with his home theatre, and clear the tracks...in goes the Zep dvd and UP goes the volume!

SHOCK!

My buddy's frilly wife comes up and asks me what the hell i think i'm doing. I answer that i am bored to tears and it's time to watch history in action. SHe states that the selection is "inappropriate" and that i'm going to ruin the party. Oh yeah? i said. Just take one good look at the crowd and tell me what exactly is wrong with this picture say's I. Well, wouldn't you know that at least 50 people are crowded around the Plasma and are RIVETED. Shirts become unbuttoned, the drinks are refilled, people are SMILING, letting their hair down, NOT TALKING ABOUT THE FUCKING KIDS!

Fast forward to 2am...Frilly wife is wearing nothing but a bra and shorts, with a euphoric glow on her face. Physical Grafitti blasts from the speakers, people are happy in their middle age. They are free from the trappings of alway's trying to be responsible. The crowd has revisited the concept of fun and they are quite enjoying themselves. Skinny dipping in the hot tub seems quite popular at this time of night

Suffice to say, the neighborhood is still talking about our great party and the epiphany that was the Zep dvd.

The moral of the story: Celine Dion can lead to a shortened lifespan while LZ has been medically proven to prolong youth and life itself.

It doesn't have to end at 40. In fact, it's where it all begins. :D

:D I totally love this post! You did good.

My story about blasting Zeppelin for the nieghbors: south of me was an empty house, and north of me was an 81 year old man as deaf as a post (RIP, Archie :( ). So I would rock out with complete abandon. This one afternoon I put in HTWWW and turned WWL up to eleven, and you know that part near the end when Bonzo just goes apeshit on the drums, well... I was whirling and twirling and air drumming like a maniac, when I hear this metal-on-metal noise seep into my conciousness through the wide open living room window.

Turns out the house next door had been rented and the new neighbors were moving in. They'd been rolling a hand truck up and down the ramp of the moving truck, about ten feet away from the window. :blush:

I only hope the music helped them with their work, along with the laughing at the lady next door...

Archived