Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
GibsonGirl

Euro Cup 2008

Surely someone else has to be following the Euro!

I am thinking that the Netherlands, Portugal or Croatia are going to take home the cup this year, although I would like our World Cup champions, Italy, to win. Viva italia! Buffon's final save against Romania had me in hysterics.

Greece aren't doing too good a job of defending their title :lol:

Next matches are:

Austria vs. Germany

Croatia vs. Poland

Czech vs. Turkey

France vs. Italy

Greece vs. Spain

Holland vs. Romania

Portugal vs. Switzerland

Russia vs. Sweden

Please discuss what you think!

FORZA AZZURRI!!!! :thumbsup:

:beer: well, they're hanging by a thread, and if Mutu had converted his spot kick they'd be out already.

But somehow you get the feeling that they'll find a way to get past France and stay in the tournament, and if they do that they will be dangerous.

For the conspiracy theorists however, there is talk of Holland fielding a weakened side in the final group game against Rumania, and that might let in the 'Vampires' to claim the 2nd spot in the group.

If you're looking past all the usual suspects for an outsider with a bit of value, these Rumanians have looked very decent to me BTW - great composure when they're being harried, they don't lump the ball upfield, they pass it around.

I'm in a tipping competition.

Week 1 - 4 winners

Week 2 - 1 winner Spain, that sucks (the result not Espana <_< )!

I can tell you Australia defeated Qatar 3 - 1 to advance to the next round of World Cup qualifying matches!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

FORZA AZZURRI!!!! :thumbsup:

I, wholeheartedly, second that! :D

Wow! wow.gif

What a phenomenal comeback Turkey made over Czech Repub today!

Down 2-0.. and then 2-1.. they scored 2 goals in the last 2 minutes

of regulation time to win it 3-2.. and advance in the tourney!

Amazing!

Great match! :thumbsup:

:beer:

Edited by Hermit_

Wow! wow.gif

What a phenomenal comeback Turkey made over Czech Repub today!

2 goals in the last 2 minutes of regulation time to win it 3-2!

Amazing!

Great match! :thumbsup:

:beer:

:o thats the beauty of this game - you've NEVER EVER seen it all :o

Ahmet Ertegun is smiling down on the Turks I reckon - they've come back from the dead like Lazarus.

And they won in similar fashion over Switzerland in their last game - just makes you wonder if their name is on the trophy, why not, Greece did it last time.

:o thats the beauty of this game - you've NEVER EVER seen it all :o

Ahmet Ertegun is smiling down on the Turks I reckon - they've come back from the dead like Lazarus.

And they won in similar fashion over Switzerland in their last game - just makes you wonder if their name is on the trophy, why not, Greece did it last time.

I was thinking that too :D ! Words can't do justice to how incredible that match was. I wasn't home when it was on live and my father called me and told me what I had missed. Thankfully, they repeated it and I got to see the magic.

Though, why was the Turkish goalkeeper sent off? I totally missed the explanation on that. It's going to take a long time for Petr Cech to get over this.

I was thinking that too :D ! Words can't do justice to how incredible that match was. I wasn't home when it was on live and my father called me and told me what I had missed. Thankfully, they repeated it and I got to see the magic.

Though, why was the Turkish goalkeeper sent off? I totally missed the explanation on that. It's going to take a long time for Petr Cech to get over this.

He went and pushed Koller over by shoving him in the chest.

Hell of a climax, the Turks were dead and buried B)

He went and pushed Koller over by shoving him in the chest.

Hell of a climax, the Turks were dead and buried B)

Ah...I thought he'd mouthed off to the ref. Very stupid on his part.

The euro's for me have been a better footballing competsion than the WC since they expanded in 1996 as we've seen with the quality games over the last week. The WC may have Brazil and Argentina but its gone too far giving away qualifying places to minows from outside Europe and South America IMHO meaning the group stages are generally a formality rather than the high level competision were seeing now.

Edited by greenman

The euro's for me have been a better footballing competsion than the WC since they expanded in 1996 as we've seen with the quality games over the last week. The WC may have Brazil and Argentina but its gone too far giving away qualifying places to minows from outside Europe and South America IMHO meaning the group stages are generally a formality rather than the high level competision were seeing now.

:beer: This is a fair point. There are teams who fail to qualify for the Euros who would go a long way in the other tournaments, and would even win them more often than not.

Thing is, it's all become very political nowadays. If you're looking to move up in FIFA circles, you need support from many quarters, and therefore need to keep on the right side of everybody, including the so-called less glamorous nations.

And it's often these smaller nations whose voice seems to be heard loudest.

yeah generally the group stages are alot better in the euros come on the nederlands

I'm rooting for Holland and Spain. I think Portugal (no disrespect to our Portuguese friends) has too much smoke blown up it's arse, thanks to ol' Ronnie. I really wanted Poland to do well, because I'm part Polish, but Germany and, now, Croatia have seen an end to that. It's been quite nice not having England compete, at least we don't have to worry about losing. So, it's with that in mind that I'd be happy if Holland or Spain won it - and I'm not just saying that 'cause Arsenal players play for both :D

I see what you mean about Ronaldo, he really takes too much credit for the team.

Besides the fact that I'd don't get to see my country to play, I agree that the Euro is of much higher quality than the WC. Not to be rude to them, but you don't have to deal with small time teams like Trinidad an Tobago, who really just give the other teams in their group and easy run. I watched some of the Asia cup and the teams in that weren't very equal.

not really following the euro cup, but was in vienna last week for a couple of hours and happened upon the croat fans who i assume must have just won a game...they spotaneously broke out in song from every corner of the main square and the sound reasonated so loud through all of the buildings...very cool to witness :D ...

of course, I must agree 100% :yay:

:thanku: from the rainy Italy :boohoo:

Tonight (tomorrow morning for us down under) the AZZURRI are playing against France.

It will be a long night for me...hahahaha..

FORZA ITALIA!! :cheer::cheer:

Forza Italia!!!

it's going to be a hell of a match.

Oh yes, it will be, but we are the BEST!!! ;)

Forza Italia!!!

it's going to be a hell of a match.

the outcome of Italy v. France match won't

matter if Romania beats the Netherlands. :unsure:

[Go Netherlands! :cheer:]

Forza Azzurri!!! :cheer: