Kevin Shirley mixing secret DVD project

Cactus

Cave Diary

TuesdayJune10th2008

And I'm in the studio - always mixing stuff that's secret - until it comes out. Makes for bad blogging. That's when it's more fun to visit dear Ross' site..... you have to be very careful what you say around/to him - as everything invariably ends up there, so now I just zip it!

FridayJune13th2008

Still mixing some live DVD audio for them-who-will-remain-nameless like a madman but that's all good - I have a break from the 23rd and I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

thanks for that cactus. it could very well be something zeppelin related, i hope so! p.s. i didnt realise he spent so much time in oz. cool.

He was born here and his brother lives in Bundanoon, which is about 15mins away from me.

This is of course no proof that he is working on Zeppelin at all, it could be someone else entirely, but if there is to be new Zep, he is the man who would be mixing it.

This is sure to heighten anticipation for some, while others will death ride the idea that it could be the "special" DVD, just out in time for Christmas.

If it isn't no problem, if it is then that's a bonus.

We shall see.

"All will be revealed........"

He was born here and his brother lives in Bundanoon, which is about 15mins away from me.

This is of course no proof that he is working on Zeppelin at all, it could be someone else entirely, but if there is to be new Zep, he is the man who would be mixing it.

In fact he was born in South Africa and came to Oz when he has about 20, where his career started.

I first heard of him when he engineered and mixed Baby Animals self titled debut (produced by Mike Chapman) in 1991. Although if I look back through my CD collection the earliest I could find was from 1990, (the late) Pete Wells solo debut 'Everything You Like Tries to Kill You'. He did a lot of other Australian stuff through the 90's - silverchair, Cold Chisel, Screaming Jets, Angels, some of which was recorded in the US, before obviously becoming JimmyPage's preferred engineer from the Unledded DVD onwards (as well as doing a shit load of other stuff to the present). When I look closely I can't believe the amount of my CD collection over the last 18 years he's worked on.

Back on topic - I'd almost be the surprised if what he blogged wasn't referring to the O2 show.

My concern is still that Jimmy mightn't let it see the light of day.

In fact he was born in South Africa and came to Oz when he has about 20, where his career started.

I first heard of him when he engineered and mixed Baby Animals self titled debut (produced by Mike Chapman) in 1991. Although if I look back through my CD collection the earliest I could find was from 1990, (the late) Pete Wells solo debut 'Everything You Like Tries to Kill You'. He did a lot of other Australian stuff through the 90's - silverchair, Cold Chisel, Screaming Jets, Angels, some of which was recorded in the US, before obviously becoming JimmyPage's preferred engineer from the Unledded DVD onwards (as well as doing a shit load of other stuff to the present). When I look closely I can't believe the amount of my CD collection over the last 18 years he's worked on.

Back on topic - I'd almost be the surprised if what he blogged wasn't referring to the O2 show.

My concern is still that Jimmy mightn't let it see the light of day.

hi shadowblue! where on the coast are you? im at gosford.

It says DVD Audio which is great and is most welcome and not totally unexpected. My preference is for a damn fine DVD of the show to go with it.

But bring it on guys lets have some live Zep from the 02 B)B)

This is sure to heighten anticipation for some, while others will death ride the idea that it could be the "special" DVD, just out in time for Christmas.

If it isn't no problem, if it is then that's a bonus.

We shall see.

"All will be revealed........"

HMMMMM??? CHRISTMAS IS 6 MONTHS AWAY PLENTY OF TIME TO DO MIXING. LET'S HOPE. :D:D:D

Lisarow. What are you doing up, it's 2 in the morning?

I just posted my O2 story!

you went to the 02? you bastard! only joking. yes i work till midnight. come on here to check things out and wind down. but i shouldnt look at the hot pics of jimmy thread before going to bed......... :blush:

It says DVD Audio which is great and is most welcome and not totally unexpected. My preference is for a damn fine DVD of the show to go with it.

I second that!

It definitely does sound like he could be talking about Zep... the fact of the whole secrecy of it all... but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

People, please! We all know that if there's going to be any DVD,it will be of Earl's Court. There might be an O2 DVD 20 years from now, but certaintly no sooner than years later when interest dies down.

We've all seen Pagey's strategy before. Wait till interest is at an all-time low, then make a big rekease to renew interest more than ever before. Does anybody here remember the 5 Led Zepp releases in just over 4 years!?! (2003-2007) ANYBODY AT ALL!?!?!

Not sure that it's more likely to be Earl's Court. Just as likely to be Knebworth as Earl's Court. But think about it like this - the production costs of shooting the O2 show were massive - 18 cameras etc etc. Whoever financed that would be pretty keen on seeing something back from that investment, don't you think?

well, if they release a DVD (of O2, atleast its my guess)... they would release an audio/CD of the concert too... wouldnt they? :unsure:

Not necessarily - I would say a DVD of the O2 is way more likely than an audio CD. Just because of the spectacle and scale of the event.

Well, if he is mixing the audio for the O2 concert, I hope he gets creative with the Dazed and Confused mess-up. I'm sure it'd be easy to fix with the audio; it's the video I'm worried about.

A ProTools edit would be easy. We know they also recorded the soundcheck from the day before the show, so that could be cut in, or numerous other options.

I'm not sure what you mean about fixing the video though? Editing video is much much easier than editing audio.

A ProTools edit would be easy. We know they also recorded the soundcheck from the day before the show, so that could be cut in, or numerous other options.

I'm not sure what you mean about fixing the video though? Editing video is much much easier than editing audio.

Well, you know, you have Jason not playing the drum fill while Jimmy and John Paul are on the transition part; they need to move the drum fill he played later to the correct position. Then they need to have Jimmy playing the B (or A in this case) chord by himself, but Jason is also playing his drum fill at the same time, which he should have been doing two bars earlier. If they just get all of the angles on just Jimmy and John Paul, then I guess that would be okay. With a lot of really quick, random cuts, they could pull it off.

Huh... it's not as hard as I thought. It's just that ever since I listened to the performance, I've always had the thought of "Wow, they could never fix this..."

Huh... it's not as hard as I thought. It's just that ever since I listened to the performance, I've always had the thought of "Wow, they could never fix this..."

You would be suprised how easy editing video is so long as the audio continuity is correct. In all areas of film, whether it be drama or music videos etc, sound is a very important part of making a smooth edit. You can have a video cut which isn't perfect (incorrect continuity) but so long as the sound is good, the cut seems much smoother.

You are right, if there was an issue, they could cut between Jimmy, JPJ and Robert. No need to show Jason, and it wouldn't need to be quick or random, it would actually be very simple. They had 18 cameras remember, therefore 18 shots to choose from. In film it is called 'coverage', you 'cover' the action from many angles, and one of the reasons you do this is for safety - if something is wrong with Shot A, you can cut to Shot B or Shot C and no-one notices.

Not sure that it's more likely to be Earl's Court. Just as likely to be Knebworth as Earl's Court. But think about it like this - the production costs of shooting the O2 show were massive - 18 cameras etc etc. Whoever financed that would be pretty keen on seeing something back from that investment, don't you think?

Sorry to rain on your parade Cactus, but I really don't think this is Earl's Court or Knebworth he's working on either.

I reckon IF Shirley is mixing Zep (and it's a BIG if), it would be the O2...

People, please! We all know that if there's going to be any DVD,it will be of Earl's Court. There might be an O2 DVD 20 years from now, but certaintly no sooner than years later when interest dies down.

We've all seen Pagey's strategy before. Wait till interest is at an all-time low, then make a big rekease to renew interest more than ever before. Does anybody here remember the 5 Led Zepp releases in just over 4 years!?! (2003-2007) ANYBODY AT ALL!?!?!

Sorry mate, but I think the only "official" Earls Court & Knebworth video was on the 2003 DVD.

Those ships have sailed.

I wouldn't mind at all if I were wrong on this.

Still, it's O2 if anything, for me.

Archived