JPJ's best bass work

danelectro59

Some may disagree, but i'm convinced that John Paul Jones was an equal quarter of what made Led Zeppelin the powerhouse that they were/are. I also think he played some of the most memorable bass lines of all time. If i had to pick three that stand out it would be

Ramble On - So unique. Nice and flowing and then the chorus and down comes the hammer!

That's The Way - The ending bass run still gives me chills.

What Is and What Should Never Be - JPJ holds this song together.

I know, there are alot more and i'm sure there are other opinions.

Some may disagree, but i'm convinced that John Paul Jones was an equal quarter of what made Led Zeppelin the powerhouse that they were/are.

I have never, nor will I ever disagree with that :D

I'd have a hard time believing anyone could (unless they didn't know shit about music).

I have never, nor will I ever disagree with that :D

I'd have a hard time believing anyone could (unless they didn't know shit about music).

It's naive to ignore the work of the great man and a fucking incredible musician!All instruments know to man,and a few known only to dolphins,what a man!

D & C?Good Times Bad Times rocks too,all of LZ 1 is incredible bass,what about Levee?POUNDING bass on that!

Some may disagree, but i'm convinced that John Paul Jones was an equal quarter of what made Led Zeppelin the powerhouse that they were/are.

Who in their right mind would disagree?? Only people who know nothing about Led Zeppelin. If people think Led Zep was just Page and Plant, then they are severely mistaken. Otherwise, the Plant and Page thing in the 90's would've been no different to Led Zeppelin, but it very clearly was.

I mean I can't believe that anyone would suggest that JPJ was just along for the ride. Page only had to play the guitar, Bonham only had to play the drums, but Jonesy had to play everything else. He said whenever a new instrument was introduced to a Led Zep song, he was just expected to play it, while still playing the bass. Who the hell does that nowdays??

JPJ was a consumate musician who's contribution to the band has always been overlooked because of Page and Plate's flashiness and the resulting media focus. JPJ never courted the public attention, prefering to stay in the background.

So to people who are incapable of seeing anything but the obvious, it would appear that he didn't contribute much.

Who in their right mind would disagree?? Only people who know nothing about Led Zeppelin. If people think Led Zep was just Page and Plant, then they are severely mistaken. Otherwise, the Plant and Page thing in the 90's would've been no different to Led Zeppelin, but it very clearly was.

I mean I can't believe that anyone would suggest that JPJ was just along for the ride. Page only had to play the guitar, Bonham only had to play the drums, but Jonesy had to play everything else. He said whenever a new instrument was introduced to a Led Zep song, he was just expected to play it, while still playing the bass. Who the hell does that nowdays??

JPJ was a consumate musician who's contribution to the band has always been overlooked because of Page and Plate's flashiness and the resulting media focus. JPJ never courted the public attention, prefering to stay in the background.

So to people who are incapable of seeing anything but the obvious, it would appear that he didn't contribute much.

Let me clarify. There are people who do not consider JPJ an equal partner in LZ, even though he has collaborated on many of the songs. Who are these people? Well, they're the ones we get the info from. Namely the media. If you need proof, just read any article, bio, etc. about Zep and how many times is he brought up? It was the same with George Harrison and to a degree, Brian Jones. Most people who are half intelligent know how much these guys contributed to the success of their respective groups. But that don't sell magazines. I agree wholeheartedly that without John Paul's contributions, Led Zeppelin may not have achieved the status in history they have. And I have never implied that he's a crap musician. In all respect, I think he has more musical knowledge than Jimmy. At least he's his equal. The thing I may doubt is the "courting public attention" statement. Sometimes an artist has no say in that part.

Let me clarify. There are people who do not consider JPJ an equal partner in LZ, even though he has collaborated on many of the songs. Who are these people? Well, they're the ones we get the info from. Namely the media.

:lol:

Since when have the media known anything about Led Zeppelin, or anything about anything for that matter?

The Media just picks the people who are already in the spotlight or who are out the front of the stage...because they can't be bothered to dig too deeply into anything, and plus they think that if an article is going to be written about Led Zep, it has to be about Plant or Page, because they were up the front, and they're the ones the public knows.

And you are absolutely correct... articles about John Paul Jones don't sell newspapers because nobody knows who he is. So they don't write about him. They only write about who's in the spotlight.

Some may disagree, but i'm convinced that John Paul Jones was an equal quarter of what made Led Zeppelin the powerhouse that they were/are. I also think he played some of the most memorable bass lines of all time. If i had to pick three that stand out it would be

Ramble On - So unique. Nice and flowing and then the chorus and down comes the hammer!

That's The Way - The ending bass run still gives me chills.

What Is and What Should Never Be - JPJ holds this song together.

I know, there are alot more and i'm sure there are other opinions.

Aha... Ramble on is in my opinion one of the gratest slow motion Bass parts, it realy goes right through the skin, but also i love the Born Your Aur Stomp Bass part, though Jimmi is kicking the Shit out of the Acustic and Plants Vocla Part is so immediate, still Bass part is Great and and very noticeable. Jonzy was is and always will be one of the gratest bass players on earth, He realy did the Whole lot for the rock music and Blues, not only on bass but also on the keyboards... Along with Rodger Glover and John Deacon...... They are the best... B Y A Stomp Realy is the best acustic thing I've ever heard(And I've heard many).... Thats why i hate when somebodie calls Leds the Pioneers of Heavy Metal....

OMG, Finally this guys gets some respect.

Nobody ever brings him up, its always, "Jimmy did this really fast, or Bonham did this for 20 minutes",

The dude is a bad ass. Its funny to see him play Dazed, when they get done all he does is shake his hand like he just punched something, then goes on with the rest of the show. I always found myself saying, "Jesus Christ!, How is it humanly possible that his hand is still attached to his body.., and why aren't his fingers bleeding...."

As far as best speed for the complexity, I'd say Dazed, simply because its blistering fast and goes on a really long time... and he rarely ever fucked it up.

As far as a defining bass line, meh, I'll have to think on that one and get back to you.

Alot of people don't give his presence in the band enough credit... I like his dynamic because without JPJ and his grounded-ness, I think the Zeppelin would've sank in their own excess. Seems like hes the one that held it together late in the game.

Best work? I can't say.., the dudes BAAAAAD.

If you are able to find it, the pre-vocal mix of Four Sticks has some very nice (and more noticable) bass work in it.

I've got the "All The Glitters Is Gold" bootleg of the fourth album sessions that has a ton of versions of Four Sticks outtakes... I agree, very nice work on that.

I actually think some of his best work was his keyboard playing. But maybe that's just because I'm a keyboard player. B)

On bass, Dazed and Confused is hard to beat. Achilles Last Stand is amazing too.

Let me clarify. There are people who do not consider JPJ an equal partner in LZ, even though he has collaborated on many of the songs. Who are these people? Well, they're the ones we get the info from. Namely the media. If you need proof, just read any article, bio, etc. about Zep and how many times is he brought up? It was the same with George Harrison and to a degree, Brian Jones. Most people who are half intelligent know how much these guys contributed to the success of their respective groups. But that don't sell magazines. I agree wholeheartedly that without John Paul's contributions, Led Zeppelin may not have achieved the status in history they have. And I have never implied that he's a crap musician. In all respect, I think he has more musical knowledge than Jimmy. At least he's his equal. The thing I may doubt is the "courting public attention" statement. Sometimes an artist has no say in that part.

Jonzy rules and i spit on those who think that Led_zeps drag was jonzy.... I know what you mean... Its all about the speed and show... Jimmi and Bonzo had more chance to do solo thing (you know the madness:D), but jonzy never gave a cra...p bout it, though he did greatest solos on keyboards(maybe even as cool as Ray Manzarecs or even John Lords:D), he just gave others chance to do the solo thing... But musicaly he was even better than Jimmi or Robbie... Man he married Jazz with Blues... Thats immposible thingh to do... And for those that dont believe in Jonzys Top Speed I sudgest to listen to the Celebration Day, Immigrant Song or Lemon Song.............. Jonzy Rules...... And Always Willllllll......... He is The Heart of Leds..... Respect you for you respect My Favorite Jonzy...... :hippy:

Archived