New Jimmy Interview

ledwallett

link

Exclusive: Led Zeppelin Reunion - The Spirit Has To Be There

added 16 June 2008 at 22.24

In an exclusive interview with Xfm, Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has said that it's not his - or indeed, anybody's - job to persuade Robert Plant to participate in any further reunions. Plant is currently touring with Alison Krauss.

Jimmy Page was speaking to Xfm shortly after he and bandmate, Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones, scooped the award for Best Live Band at the Mojo Honours List 2008. Not bad going for band who, prior to last December's one-off, hadn't played a full gig together since 1980.

Asked if he'd tried to subsequently persuade vocalist Robert Plant to rejoin the band, the legendary guitarist responded: "I'm not going to persuade anyone to do anything. It's just like the O2, you do it in the spirit of your heart, don't you? You either do it or you don't."

Page was quick to quosh rumours that his broken finger wasn't quite the story that had been presented to the public. He said: "Broken finger? Damn right! It broke here," he said, showing Xfm the now-repaired digit. "This one that looks like a knuckle on the end. It seriously was, it was broken in three places."

Responding to the hypothesis that three weeks was a short period of time for a broken finger to heal, Page claimed that his focus on the upcoming gig helped him through, saying: "But I gotta tell you, that was the kind of focus that there was on behalf of everybody towards that O2 gig."

He also added that the finger still hadn't fully healed by the time of the gig: "But my personal focus was that broken finger - it didn't matter [about it], it was just steering ahead. It didn't get better in three weeks, it's just that I played in three weeks."

For those fans fearing that Led Zeppelin might never fly again, Page remained positive that the O2 gig would eventually see the light of day on DVD: "Well I hope so, one day; yeah"

link

In an exclusive interview with Xfm, Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has said that it's not his - or indeed, anybody's - job to persuade Robert Plant to participate in any further reunions. Plant is currently touring with Alison Krauss.

Jimmy Page was speaking to Xfm shortly after he and bandmate, Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones, scooped the award for Best Live Band at the Mojo Honours List 2008. Not bad going for band who, prior to last December's one-off, hadn't played a full gig together since 1980.

Asked if he'd tried to subsequently persuade vocalist Robert Plant to rejoin the band, the legendary guitarist responded: "I'm not going to persuade anyone to do anything. It's just like the O2, you do it in the spirit of your heart, don't you? You either do it or you don't."

Page was quick to quosh rumours that his broken finger wasn't quite the story that had been presented to the public. He said: "Broken finger? Damn right! It broke here," he said, showing Xfm the now-repaired digit. "This one that looks like a knuckle on the end. It seriously was, it was broken in three places."

Responding to the hypothesis that three weeks was a short period of time for a broken finger to heal, Page claimed that his focus on the upcoming gig helped him through, saying: "But I gotta tell you, that was the kind of focus that there was on behalf of everybody towards that O2 gig."

He also added that the finger still hadn't fully healed by the time of the gig: "But my personal focus was that broken finger - it didn't matter [about it], it was just steering ahead. It didn't get better in three weeks, it's just that I played in three weeks."

For those fans fearing that Led Zeppelin might never fly again, Page remained positive that the O2 gig would eventually see the light of day on DVD: "Well I hope so, one day; yeah"

Thanks for the info ledwallet. I came here to link to the same thing, but you beat me to it. :)

I love JP's comments here.

Thanks, ledwallet. Here is a brief video clip of Jimmy saying something similar at the Mojo Awards (after the commercial runs, he comes in at around :44 seconds): http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7458549.stm

Thanks for that.

"Doesn't look very likely, does it?"

sigh....

"Get on with new adventures..."

That's the spirit!

Thanks both to ledwallet and MSG for the information!!

I really hope that Page does "carry on with new adventures" as he put it. Of course I would love to see Led Zeppelin go on tour, with Jason taking his father's place on drums (as most anyone on this forum would I am guessing), but I would welcome anything that Page decided to do on his own :) And I really hope that JPJ feels the same way, because he is such an amazing talent in his own right as well!!

So, as I had said in another thread before - Come on Pagey & Jonesy, come to America!!!

It's time. Zeppelin was the greatest band to walk the earth, let the o2 show be their farewell. Almost 30 years have passed since they were an everyday working band , and they are not young men anymore. To be the band they once were is impossible even under the best of circumstances. I am just glad RP, JP, and JPJ are still with us and whatever musical statement they make either individually or on their own should be celebrated by all of their fans.

It's time. Zeppelin was the greatest band to walk the earth, let the o2 show be their farewell. Almost 30 years have passed since they were an everyday working band , and they are not young men anymore. To be the band they once were is impossible even under the best of circumstances.

I am just glad RP, JP, and JPJ are still with us and whatever musical statement they make either individually or on their own should be celebrated by all of their fans.

i agree with this last sentence, but i dont think its over, not by a long shot. im sure they are all going to tour/play/record together again. we just need to be patient! my guess is about this time next year. in the meantime i bet we see jp, jpj and/or jason doing other things. perhaps more guest spots, perhaps some stuff of their own. they still have lots of music left in them, it will come out eventually. i think they will play untill they physically cant. and thats years and years from now. we just need to be patient. i know its killing us, but it will bw worth it, just you wait and see.

IMHO. :D

i agree with this last sentence, but i dont think its over, not by a long shot. im sure they are all going to tour/play/record together again. we just need to be patient! my guess is about this time next year. in the meantime i bet we see jp, jpj and/or jason doing other things. perhaps more guest spots, perhaps some stuff of their own. they still have lots of music left in them, it will come out eventually. i think they will play untill they physically cant. and thats years and years from now. we just need to be patient. i know its killing us, but it will bw worth it, just you wait and see.

IMHO. :D

I thought the same thing in 1986, and 1990. I too believe they all have great music left in them, I just don't see them doing it under the Zeppelin banner again.

It's hard to know without seeing the comment in context, but Page says it's not likely to happen unless you have all 4 members. Is he referring to all 4 original members, as in he is saying "Any tour will not be a Led Zeppelin tour because it's not John Bonham on drums"?

Thanks, ledwallet. Here is a brief video clip of Jimmy saying something similar at the Mojo Awards (after the commercial runs, he comes in at around :44 seconds): http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7458549.stm

well, i hope page makes an album, would love it even more if he made it with john paul jones, and i would love it even more if i get to see see him live. lots to hope for...

well, i hope page makes an album, would love it even more if he made it with john paul jones, and i would love it even more if i get to see see him live. lots to hope for...

That would be a funny turn of the tables - after all the hurt caused to JPJ after Page/Plant, what if Page/Jones got together (with Jason?) but minus Robert. Then things would be even stevens.

Page, J.P.J., and Jason need to give Chris Robinson a call and be done with it. That would rock. New material, tour, the whole nine yards.

It's going to be interesting to see what is coming, and there is new material coming. Can't wait.

This has me cracking up. Because I too realized that I wasn't just sad for Jimmy but that I was pitying myself. But you made it funny. :D I feel better now. :thumbsup:

Glad to be of service. I think we all need a bit of support in getting through the following:

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

It's going to be interesting to see what is coming, and there is new material coming. Can't wait.

Neither can I :) I'll be happy with whatever comes my way

What were the rumours about Jimmy's finger not being broken? What reason was there to make it up?

Wasn't the rumour that they postponed was because they didn't feel ready enough?? That's just off the top of my head...someone will no doubt be more precise (or correct me).

link

Damn straight!!

Wasn't the rumour that they postponed was because they didn't feel ready enough?? That's just off the top of my head...someone will no doubt be more precise (or correct me).

There were all sorts of conspiracy rumours - the main one being that they weren't ready. But it's ridiculous and illogical - if they needed to postpone the concert, they would have used a better excuse. Fabricating the story that he fell in his yard doesn't make sense. It's too elaborate. They would have said there was a family illness or production delays or something else, but the fall-in-the-garden incident makes Page look like an old bloke who took a stumble in his yard - that hardly keeps up the appearence of rock-god does it?

Archived