HTWWW

LedZep1969

Personally I like the SRTS better the the Since Ive Been Lovving You of the HTWWW is just freaking awesome. I love when Robert sais "Please! Please!"

I love them both.But I have to say honestly that when I first had a listen to HTWWW I felt that TSRTS was much better.

Now I'm going to have to retract that statement.Like much Of Led Zeppelin's music for me anyway, is that I seem to appreciate it the more I listen to it.And now that I've had over five years to listen and judge HTWWW I would have to say it is a toss up between the two performances.

There are pluses and minuses in both but I'm not going to disect it here,I think most of us know what they are .

I love them both.But I have to say honestly that when I first had a listen to HTWWW I felt that TSRTS was much better.

Now I'm going to have to retract that statement.Like much Of Led Zeppelin's music for me anyway, is that I seem to appreciate it the more I listen to it.And now that I've had over five years to listen and judge HTWWW I would have to say it is a toss up between the two performances.

There are pluses and minuses in both but I'm not going to disect it here,I think most of us know what they are .

That's all I'm going to add.

Ooooooor not: TSRTS is WAAAAY better than HTWWW. But once again, for the two best performances ever I direct you to the dates above.

Dude your kidding me?! Jimmy was smacked wayyy out of his brains on this.

Are we talking about the same version? He OWNS it on the version I'm talking about. Maybe we have our sources mixed up. I'll give this another listen to be sure.

I'll take every '70 and '71 version of SIBLY over anything after, but HTWWW was still excellent because Plant's voice was in great shape.

That said, you really can't go wrong with any version of this song. It morphed and changed as much as the band did over the 12 years they were together.

Are we talking about the same version? He OWNS it on the version I'm talking about. Maybe we have our sources mixed up. I'll give this another listen to be sure.
Well I'm listening to STH from this and he is doing terrible so i don't know.

That's all I'm going to add.

Ooooooor not: TSRTS is WAAAAY better than HTWWW. But once again, for the two best performances ever I direct you to the dates above.

I disagree

7-7-80 has a solid version of Trampled Underfoot, but that's really about it. It's one of the worst shows of the 80 tour. I'm not that big a fan of most 77 shows also but 4-27 is okay compared to most of the rest of that tour.

3-12-75, 4-27-69, 6-21-77, 8-4-79, 5-25-75 are probably my top 5. Although it always changes.

I love 'em both , but HTWWW is pretty much .......................PERFECTION as an all round gig !

Put it this way ..........i'd like to have seen both .........but HTWWW on a summer evening ..........Stoned ..............WOW !

I like the 6-25 and 6-27 recordings better than the HTWWW recording overall. But of all the live stuff Zeppelin ever released the HTWWW gives the best Zeppelin concert feel. Well maybe the DVD they released about the same time from the RAH. I still don't see why they didn't just put the 2 songs they left off from that Royal Albert Hall performance.

Talking about best individual performances, I'd say 4.28.77 and TSRTS. Apparently, my bootleg labeled on the package as 7.7.80 is actually Brussels, Belgium & Rotterdam, Netherlands 1980 mixed together! I learned this by going online and looking at the setlists for the entire '80 tour. These are out of order. Plus, I compared this bootleg to all my other '80 bootlegs, so that's how I figured it out. The version of SIBLY I mentioned is probably from Rotterdam, Netherlands 1980!

I'm sorry it's 4-27 that's one of the worst gigs they did. Not the 28th. I always get those 2 dates confused. Most of 77 was pretty bad for Led Zeppelin though. You can tell the drugs really were in Jimmy's playing a lot that year and it really hurt his creativity.

I like the 6-25 and 6-27 recordings better than the HTWWW recording overall. But of all the live stuff Zeppelin ever released the HTWWW gives the best Zeppelin concert feel. Well maybe the DVD they released about the same time from the RAH. I still don't see why they didn't just put the 2 songs they left off from that Royal Albert Hall performance.

It is speculated there was more than just 2 left off. Some for obvious reasons...

They played Heartbreaker, but the tape runs out right before the solo is finished so obviously couldnt be put in... (shame too, probably the best version ever played IMO)

Its always been rumored that they played SIBLY here.. but I doubt it as there is no existing audio or video of this anywhere... and they just played it live for the first time the night before - so with them knowing they were being recorded/filmed, they probably werent comfortable enough with it yet to play it.

What 2 songs are you referring to? Long Tall Sally and Thank You?

(By the way, as far as Thank You goes, I speculate that the bits of Jones' organ solo on the first disc menu, and some of the song on disc 2 under the promos menu are both from this particular performance, but I can't prove it.)

Either way the RAH DVD is cool at first, but becomes sort of a bummer... theres cuts in nearly every song on there and the setlist is re-arranged... <_<

As far as the topic at hand, IMO, the HTWWW version of SIBLY is second only to the 1970-09-04 On Blueberry Hill version

It is speculated there was more than just 2 left off. Some for obvious reasons...

They played Heartbreaker, but the tape runs out right before the solo is finished so obviously couldnt be put in... (shame too, probably the best version ever played IMO)

Its always been rumored that they played SIBLY here.. but I doubt it as there is no existing audio or video of this anywhere... and they just played it live for the first time the night before - so with them knowing they were being recorded/filmed, they probably werent comfortable enough with it yet to play it.

What 2 songs are you referring to? Long Tall Sally and Thank You?

(By the way, as far as Thank You goes, I speculate that the bits of Jones' organ solo on the first disc menu, and some of the song on disc 2 under the promos menu are both from this particular performance, but I can't prove it.)

Either way the RAH DVD is cool at first, but becomes sort of a bummer... theres cuts in nearly every song on there and the setlist is re-arranged... <_<

As far as the topic at hand, IMO, the HTWWW version of SIBLY is second only to the 1970-09-04 On Blueberry Hill version

Yeah LTS and Thank You. I don't think SIBLY was recorded if it was played.

I sort of wish they just used the 1972-06-25 show by itself instead of mixing the 25th and 27th...

To me it ruins some of the magick when multiple nights are mixed (a'la The Song Remains the Same DVD). One night could have had a particularly different feel than the next, and the flow of emotion one who was actually at the performance might have gotten (which is what I want when I watch it) gets all screwed up.

My O.C.D. just doesn't like things that are scrambled. (the Royal Albert Hall show off the official DVD about drives me nuts!)

I guess it will suffice to say "at least SOMETHING got released"

To me it ruins some of the magick when multiple nights are mixed

Oddly enough my favorite version of Dazed & Confused is the amalgamated soundtrack version from TSRTS. Superbly edited, it combines the best versions of the different movements of the D&C suite, it's seamless and endlessly exciting. Is that bowdlerizing a live recording with studio jiggery-pokery? Who cares? Zeppelin recorded their studio albums the same way---editing the best sections of the best takes together---and nobody complains about them. Why should live recordings be sacrosanct??

The album credits acknowledge the venue of every single song, why not release the creme de la creme of two nights?

You've probably got the 25th AND 27th on bootleg anyhow, docron. =)

Oddly enough my favorite version of Dazed & Confused is the amalgamated soundtrack version from TSRTS. Superbly edited, it combines the best versions of the different movements of the D&C suite, it's seamless and endlessly exciting. Is that bowdlerizing a live recording with studio jiggery-pokery? Who cares? Zeppelin recorded their studio albums the same way---editing the best sections of the best takes together---and nobody complains about them. Why should live recordings be sacrosanct??

The album credits acknowledge the venue of every single song, why not release the creme de la creme of two nights?

You've probably got the 25th AND 27th on bootleg anyhow, docron. =)

Well, I understand where you're coming from. Sort of like a greatest hits with a live performance vibe...

I can't say I agree all of it though - I like to think of studio and live as completely different entities. I've already seen how good Page and Co. are at mastering tracks with their brilliant studio albums (IMO, theres plenty of those already - theyve got nothing else to prove in the track mastering game)... I'd just like for once to see/hear the performances as they actually were had I seen them personally (because, of course, I haven't been that lucky).

When I play a Zeppelin show it takes me on an epic journey of sorts where different nights have different grooves/feelings/emotions/etc... I make it a point to listen all the way through without skipping tracks.

I just hate the idea of people (not saying you) thinking "well, at least they were able to get one good version of <insert song name here> from their three nights here so they could put out an official release". Led Zeppelin is so far above that! I just don't like the people who think that they NEEDED to cut and splice in order to make one good show...

But I digress. I guess the "crem-de-la-creme" has its place... I play them all the time when friends come over who can't stand to sit through a rough audience recording from 1971 lol.

P.S., Of course I've got both nights.., but they aren't mastered in that official getting-rid-of-the-highend-hiss sort of way! lol

To each his own I suppose!

Of course I've got both nights.

Hilarious! A man with bootlegs should not complain.

Trust me, I'm in your corner on this, I advocate unadulterated complete 'live' takes too. If a masterpiece like the patchwork version of D&C on TSRTS soundtrack can be constructed, then I'm all for it. The band physically and personally played every one of those notes, no session heavies stepped in and fixed anything in the studio. Combining L.A. and Long Beach in '72 is a painless behind-the-scene cosmetic decision that should have as little detrimental effect as the resequencing of the songlist 1-9-70 at RAH on 'DVD' or Page shortening the WLL medley on 'BBC.'

Hats off to the purists!

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot belive somebody here was comparing a 1980 show favorably to HTWWO. Are they familiar with the band? LMAO. Any show from 1972 where RP brought his best voice to the gig trumps pretty much anything from later tours, in my opinion. This is especially true of shows from the unfortunate 1979-80 period.

Personally I like the SRTS better the the Since Ive Been Lovving You of the HTWWW is just freaking awesome. I love when Robert sais "Please! Please!"

I love both.. but I prefer HTWWW...

That live album is the BEST that I ever heard...

Top 5 Songs from HTWWW:

-Bring It On Home

-Whole Lotta Love

-What is and what should never be

-The Ocean

-Rock 'n Roll

Dazed and Confused blows my brain out.. And Moby Dick.. well thos 19 minutes full of energy... just awesome!

TSRTS was the first DVD that I saw of Led Zep...

HTWWW was the first album that I heard....

Archived