HTWWW

LedZep1969

This album is righteous! SIBLY is superb from Long Beach. Everything is fantastic except for Over the Hills, which seems to me to sound like studio version just played live. WLL is outstanding along with Dazed and Bring It On Home. The guitar solo to Immigrant Song is crazy good as well. The acoustic is amazing even though it is missing Tangerine. This album would be priceless if it contained the rest of the encores from LA.

• 2 weeks later...

9/4/70-Forum, 8/21/71-Forum, 6/25/72-Forum, 6/27/72-Long Beach, 6/3/73-Forum, 3/12/75-Long Beach. In my opinion, any of these shows I got to see in my own back yard blows SRTS out of the water. SRTS did not have any of the energy or cohesiveness of any of these shows. Even Plant said that the band was tired when they played that night. On HTWWW, I would have prefered that they had released complete versions of both shows.

Oddly enough my favorite version of Dazed & Confused is the amalgamated soundtrack version from TSRTS. Superbly edited, it combines the best versions of the different movements of the D&C suite, it's seamless and endlessly exciting.

Actually, the version of DandC from TSRTS is pretty much intact.The majority of it is from July 27th. Certainly the bulk of Page's soloing. A full 99% of that song on the soundtrack is all from that first night. So, that's another vote for how good these things can sound when Page leaves them alone, rather than editing them to oblivion.

I can't stand HTWWW. Page took two good gigs and made one weird mixtape out of the both of them. For those who swear by it, I don't blame you since the recording quality can't be beat and it's an easy way to get a taste of live Zep. But for the looseness that Zep actually was, hearing those shows all edited up like that is cheating one out of the real experience. Better to stick with the audience recording for June 25th. At least it gives you the better of the two gigs as it actually went down from start to finish. Without all of the enhancements, the edits, the bizarre patch-jobs.

Are we talking about the same version? He OWNS it on the version I'm talking about. Maybe we have our sources mixed up. I'll give this another listen to be sure.

It doesnt matter what sound source you have, the concert is the same....unless you have the date wrong....the performance doesnt change, maybe the sound of it depending. I agree totally with the comment that Jimmy was wacked out on this one, at least lets say that its not his best performance by far nor for the band. Its average. I can think of 50 other concerts instantly and at least 10 from this tour that are way better. Zurich being my favorite from this tour. Its miles above 7/7/80. Its not an opinion, it's just the truth.

Actually, the version of DandC from TSRTS is pretty much intact.The majority of it is from July 27th. Certainly the bulk of Page's soloing. A full 99% of that song on the soundtrack is all from that first night. So, that's another vote for how good these things can sound when Page leaves them alone, rather than editing them to oblivion.

I can't stand HTWWW. Page took two good gigs and made one weird mixtape out of the both of them. For those who swear by it, I don't blame you since the recording quality can't be beat and it's an easy way to get a taste of live Zep. But for the looseness that Zep actually was, hearing those shows all edited up like that is cheating one out of the real experience. Better to stick with the audience recording for June 25th. At least it gives you the better of the two gigs as it actually went down from start to finish. Without all of the enhancements, the edits, the bizarre patch-jobs.

I like both albums but TSRTS is more dear to me just because I grew up listening to it way before HTWWW came about. The one obvious patch comes in Mody Dick when he does some grove stuff and immediastley switches to some fast triplet roles. It caught my attention right off and is was kinds upset at that. Didnt notice many more edits though.

Well my favourite officially released version is actually the new DVD 1973 version. It's similiar to the SRTS one, but the solo in the middle is better to me.

If i would have to compare SRTS one and HTWWW one, i would pick SRTS, because the whole guitar structure is more developed, even if HTWWW solo is crazy speed wise, but i still find the SRTS one to be more beautifull.

I also actually find the vocals on SRTS version to be better, then the one on HTWWW. They just seem to be more powerful, because in the latter part on 72, Plant just wasn't singing with as much power anymore, as he did in Australia 72 for example, but in 73, he got some of the power back, even if he cracked from time to time.

But if i would choose my favourite oficial version just by looking at the vocals, it's definately BBC sessions, infact, many, many songs have their best vocal live versions on BBC sessions!

Edit: I read the topic again and i'm getting a bit confused! Are we talking about HTWWW and SRTS in general or just about Since i've been loving you?? Oh well, i just wrote about that song, but you can get some general information from that, such as that i'm a bit disappointet with the vocals on HTWWW and that the instrumental energy is much better on HTWWW, then on SRTS, even if SRTS has more complex arrangements !

• 1 month later...

Archived