Robert/Alison Leadbelly tribute

Roger

Looked around quickly and couldn't find the info. Does anyone know if recordings or videos of Robert and Alison's performances at the Ledbelly tribute are available?

Looked around quickly and couldn't find the info. Does anyone know if recordings or videos of Robert and Alison's performances at the Ledbelly tribute are available?

Hi Roger,

Nine lives is right about there not being any video of the performance. I was lucky enough to attend this tribute, Robert and Alison were wonderful. I'm sorry to say the only song I remember them singing was, Where Did You Sleep Last Night (aka "Black Gal"). I've also heard the song being titled, "Black Girl Under the Pines" not sure why it has had so many different titles.

Other musical guests were Odetta, Dave Alvin, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Robert Lockwood Jr., Jon Langford, John Hiatt, and Los Lobos. It's a shame that nothing was recorded.

I know that someone from another forum contacted the RnR HOF regarding any possible video of the show and she was told that any recordings of performances for the HOF are only used for educational or archival purposes and are not available for commercial release.

Hi Roger,

Nine lives is right about there not being any video of the performance. I was lucky enough to attend this tribute, Robert and Alison were wonderful. I'm sorry to say the only song I remember them singing was, Where Did You Sleep Last Night (aka "Black Gal"). I've also heard the song being titled, "Black Girl Under the Pines" not sure why it has had so many different titles.

Other musical guests were Odetta, Dave Alvin, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Robert Lockwood Jr., Jon Langford, John Hiatt, and Los Lobos. It's a shame that nothing was recorded.

I know that someone from another forum contacted the RnR HOF regarding any possible video of the show and she was told that any recordings of performances for the HOF are only used for educational or archival purposes and are not available for commercial release.

Didn't he do Gallow's Pole?

That's too bad - they could sell the video to raise money for the HoF or for some music education program. I'm surprised nothing ever surfaced on YouTube.

That's too bad - they could sell the video to raise money for the HoF or for some music education program. I'm surprised nothing ever surfaced on YouTube.

I believe he did do "Gallows Pole" but I have a terrible memory for these kinds of things. Robert was the featured guest, he performed many songs with different variations of the other musicians. He did perhaps 5 or 6 songs with Los Lobos and this may have been when he sang "Gallows Pole" - not sure. Justin Adams was there with Plant and I believe he played on the songs with Alison and Robert. I think he also played while Robert was singing with Los Lobos.

Geez, I feel a bit stupid that I can't remember any specifics but I was just so thrilled to see Plant live that my mind just went blank!

Thanks for all the info.

Robert with Los Lobos? That would be something to hear.

I think the Raising Sand program listed the songs he did with Alison in there somewhere (at the Leadbelly tribute). I don't have it with me at the moment.

Really too bad none of that is getting released.

yea he called it Gallis pole though (incredible tune) Leadbelly is my favorite Blues artist ever. he was the 'Black Elvis' of the 30's and 40's. John Lomax wrote a couple books about him. his life story is a great read.

Archived