I HATE ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE

LedZep1969

They ranked Jimmy Page #9 in all time greatest guitarists. He should be number 1! If your a Rush fan Im sorry but I hate Neil Pert. They also put Bonham in #2. For JPJ and Robert Plant I don't even think they were on a list. And for all time greatest songs... Stairway to Heaven was......39. Behind crappy songs. So please if your subscribed to Rolling Stone, boycott it please.

Rolling Stone has long been questionable on the subject of led Zeppelin, recent cover stories notwithstanding.

Lists by other than your own devise always dissapoint! I would certainly rank Page higher than 9, but have no problem with JHB being no.2 to Neil Peart. I prefer JHB's style, as it's more like my own, but both drummers contributed greatly to the rock drumming vocabulary. As was pointed out above, Neil has been doing it for a long time and we've been able to watch him grow...something we've sadly missed out on with JHB. Neil also continues to play at his highest level to this day...a rare thing with drummers with his expansive style.

Rolling Stone has long been questionable on the subject of led Zeppelin, recent cover stories notwithstanding.

Actually Rolling Stone has quietly reappraised Zeppelin posthumously of course,but better now than never.

Actually Rolling Stone has quietly reappraised Zeppelin posthumously of course,but better now than never.

Rolling Stone's always been a piece of shit, but they did very quietly and over a long period of time change their opinion of Led Zep.

But magazines like Melody Maker, Sounds, even NME were always a far more superior read to Rolling Stone.

They ranked Jimmy Page #9 in all time greatest guitarists. He should be number 1! If your a Rush fan Im sorry but I hate Neil Pert. They also put Bonham in #2. For JPJ and Robert Plant I don't even think they were on a list. And for all time greatest songs... Stairway to Heaven was......39. Behind crappy songs. So please if your subscribed to Rolling Stone, boycott it please.

Do you hate the magazine or the OPINIONS expressed within? I haven't bought a copy for 2 decades but i certainly can't hate them based on something so subjective as musical taste.

Rolling Stone is absolute rubbish. I canceled my subscription years ago and used what I had left to wipe my ass after a hefty dump. They wouldn't know good music if it struck them like a bolt of lightning. Horrible worthless pile of cow dung.

Would anybody care to know how I really feel about them? :lol:

Rolling Stone is absolute rubbish. I canceled my subscription years ago and used what I had left to wipe my ass after a hefty dump. They wouldn't know good music if it struck them like a bolt of lightning. Horrible worthless pile of cow dung.

So how do you reallyfeel about them then? ;)

I never liked these lists...

As far as rock drummers go... everyone always seems to forget about Grand Funk Railroad's drummer Don Brewer... that dude had great agility and hit pretty hard (not as hard as Bonzo, of course). Heres a good video of Grand Funk in action... and I've yet to see a reason why Ginger Baker should ever be on these lists... watching him play live, he has no emotion and his style reminds me of some 6 year old who has no idea how to play.

As far as guitarists... Page is number 2 IMO only to Hendrix... somehow Hendrix was always in perfect control of the feedback, like his guitar was connected to his brain. Hendrix didn't even have to think about what knobs to move or what to do to create whatever effect he wanted and could put on a show all by himself with the things he could make his guitar do... Page is the number 1 riff-man, but was always considered sort of slow on the fretboard (though Communication Breakdown is blistering fast). Certainly should've been higher than 9. IMO Hendrix and maybe Clapton are the only people capable of beating Pagey.. and thats mostly based on opinions.

Would anybody care to know how I really feel about them? :lol:

They are a f--king clique of snide, snarky, snobbish elitists. As worthless as t-ts on a bull.

They are a f--king clique of snide, snarky, snobbish elitists. As worthless as t-ts on a bull.

Ditto to that. I guess it's a NYC thing.

I bought one copy when the 3 of them were on the cover because of the reunion at the O2. My dog recently shredded it to bits during a thunderstorm when he was alone. Pissed me off. Unless Zep gets another cover story, I won't buy it.

Most magazines, like most rags in NYC, are very jaded publications.

I don't expect their lists to be in the exact order that I would put them in, but good grief, some of their stuff just comes waaay out of left field and just leaves you scratching your head! For instance, I don't mind that Neil Peart ranked higher than Bonham on that list - I don't agree at all, but at least I can see where the list writer was coming from because Peart is indeed a very good drummer. On the other hand, when I see Kurt Cobain at #12 on their 100 Greatest Guitarists list and David Gilmour at #80, all I can do is stare dumbfounded at the page and think, "...WHAT?!?!" This is why their lists suck. When they come out in what I would consider a strange order, it's never because the author is putting forth a unique and interesting opinion, it's just because they flat out don't make any sense.

How do they compile these lists, anyway? Do a couple of editors sit there and brainstorm, or do they send out surveys for random industry nitwits to fill out? If it's the latter, then they might consider a change in the way they do them.

I never liked these lists...

As far as rock drummers go... everyone always seems to forget about Grand Funk Railroad's drummer Don Brewer... that dude had great agility and hit pretty hard (not as hard as Bonzo, of course). Heres a good video of Grand Funk in action... and I've yet to see a reason why Ginger Baker should ever be on these lists... watching him play live, he has no emotion and his style reminds me of some 6 year old who has no idea how to play.

As far as guitarists... Page is number 2 IMO only to Hendrix... somehow Hendrix was always in perfect control of the feedback, like his guitar was connected to his brain. Hendrix didn't even have to think about what knobs to move or what to do to create whatever effect he wanted and could put on a show all by himself with the things he could make his guitar do... Page is the number 1 riff-man, but was always considered sort of slow on the fretboard (though Communication Breakdown is blistering fast). Certainly should've been higher than 9. IMO Hendrix and maybe Clapton are the only people capable of beating Pagey.. and thats mostly based on opinions.

Totally agreed. Grand Funk Railroad has always been under rated in so many ways in my book. I'm quite a fan of their music....Mark Farner really got screwed when he lost the rights to the band name though I think...

RS sucks! They have there faves (Dylan, Springsteen, Madonna, Beatles, Kanye West, Radiohead, and the Stones) and everybody else is a joke. I really hate how they look down on classic rock now. Fuck them!

I'm sure this could be wrong, but I heard that Jimmy said somewhere that he wasn't that great of a guitar player, and he thought of himself more of a composer/songwriter. In that sense he is the best, but straight-up playing guitar, I'm not sure. Is this wrong?

I'm sure this could be wrong, but I heard that Jimmy said somewhere that he wasn't that great of a guitar player, and he thought of himself more of a composer/songwriter. In that sense he is the best, but straight-up playing guitar, I'm not sure. Is this wrong?

I don't remember hearing anything about him saying he wasn't the best player but I do know he considers himself, and rightly so, a composer/songwriter...

Straight up guitar playing: HA! I wouldn't even want to admit it to myself but there are probably a few that are technically better and LOTS I enjoy but...well Jimmy's just the entire package you know. Brilliant mind, healthy curiosity, a gentleman, an artist....he's just got it all goin' on...

OK, I'm blubbering..forgive me :)

RS sucks! They have there faves (Dylan, Springsteen, Madonna, Beatles, Kanye West, Radiohead, and the Stones) and everybody else is a joke. I really hate how they look down on classic rock now. Fuck them!

As much as I like Springsteen,RS does seems to go overboard with him. WIth RS, Springsteen albums are classics before they are even recorded.

Was it III which Rolling Stone lambasted and to which in an interview Robert Plant said "it takes me months of listening to our own album to try and get the songs, and strangely enough this guy has listened to the album for hours and decided that it sucks."

I don't blame Rolling Stone for disliking Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant is much too good-looking. And with much too much hair than all the 70's and now-editors have. Combined. :rolleyes:

Uh...I meant their faves

Stop the presses, the new issue of Rolling Stone (Obama cover) includes a lengthy and very favorable feature on Rush. The times they are a-changin'...

Ahhhh, Rush! Yes, they are enjoying a very favorable tour right now! Brings back some memories...I still like their very first album best...maybe because it does bring back memories of carefree times....

Not sure if you're aware of it or not but there is a way to edit posts so you can fix any mistakes you may have made.

I know but lately certain posts don't have the Edit tab under them after you post. Not sure why though?

Archived