Plant/Krauss Greek Shows

*a big thanks to admin for fixing a howling typo in the subject line*

Just back from the first night at the Greek. I quite like Raising Sand and went with a really open mind, but now that I've seen how it all falls out live, I'm not quite sure that it really works. Their voices go really well together, but the music itself boxes Robert's talents in--so much so that at times he's basically reduced to being Alison's back-up singer (which is just silly for a man with such a unique gift). The thing that I've always most loved about Robert is that he really is a vocal gymnast (to borrow a phrase from Jimmy)--while most singers sound the same from verse to verse, Robert never sounds the same even from line to line, which is marvelous. I'm never bored listening to him. But so many of the songs here really made it hard for this lovely variation to come out.

I also thought that while Alison is extraordinarily talented (I really love her voice and her playing is stunning at times), on Battle of Evermore and Matty Groves, I was really missing Sandy Denny in a major way.

T-Bone's songs were also not my cup of tea--he did two while Alison and Robert were offstage (Robert, btw, was offstage for FOUR songs!!!! And in the background for two or three more!). The rest of the band were really great, especially Stuart Duncan.

I rather hope Robert doesn't do another cover album with Alison. It would be great to see him back with Strange Sensation or writing new things with Jimmy (with or without JPJ and/or Jason). I think there might be ways out there of being comely without being self-effacing. Missing Robert more than a bit at times tonight!

T-Bone's songs were also not my cup of tea--he did two while Alison and Robert were offstage (Robert, btw, was offstage for FOUR songs!!!! And in the background for two or three more!). Missing Robert more than a bit at times tonight!

I feel the same way. Because this was my first time seeing Robert live, I was grateful to have the opportunity to see his show, but wish I could have seen more of him during it! I guess maybe he knows that the only way to really let Alison, T-Bone and the rest of the band shine is for him to be out of the way when they perform. It's obvious most people are there for Robert, but he is being very gracious towards Alison and the rest of the band. But yes, I would love to see a show of Robert for the entire 2 hours! :)

I guess maybe he knows that the only way to really let Alison, T-Bone and the rest of the band shine is for him to be out of the way when they perform. It's obvious most people are there for Robert, but he is being very gracious towards Alison and the rest of the band.

All very true! I really enjoyed the show on the whole and look forward to seeing it again tonight, but hope there's a little more Planty in evidence this evening!

But of course the all important question is.... what was he wearing? :P It seems at certain shows like NYC, London, and Bonnaroo - he seemed to have put more thought into his stage clothes. I'm assuming for the L.A shows he did the same. I haven't seen any photos of last night anywhere so far.

But of course the all important question is.... what was he wearing? :P It seems at certain shows like NYC, London, and Bonnaroo - he seemed to have put more thought into his stage clothes. I'm assuming for the L.A shows he did the same. I haven't seen any photos of last night anywhere so far.

The silk red trousers and a black, short-sleeved silk shirt. B)

Couldn't see what shoes--better seats tonight so I'll report back.

Alison had the prettiest empire-waist orangey-red and cream flowered dress on (with tall brown boots).

The silk red trousers and a black, short-sleeved silk shirt. B)

Couldn't see what shoes--better seats tonight so I'll report back.

Alison had the prettiest empire-waist orangey-red and cream flowered dress on (with tall brown boots).

Thanks! Report back with night #2's stage attire tomorrow am. :lol:

I feel the same way. Because this was my first time seeing Robert live, I was grateful to have the opportunity to see his show, but wish I could have seen more of him during it! I guess maybe he knows that the only way to really let Alison, T-Bone and the rest of the band shine is for him to be out of the way when they perform. It's obvious most people are there for Robert, but he is being very gracious towards Alison and the rest of the band. But yes, I would love to see a show of Robert for the entire 2 hours! :)

I think it depends on the city. One of the shows I saw I would say a good portion of the audience were fans of Alison (though very supportive of Robert).

Oh a 2 hour show of just Robert would be fantastic indeed!

Hey all, long night last night as I partied after the show...just waking up and

got lots to do and not enough time before heading out for show number two.

Enjoyed last night's show...will post more detailed reflections another day on

both night's concerts.

Last night Ann & Nancy Wilson were sitting in the section behind us...didn't see

Cameron but it looked like they were with their mother and some other friends.

Also saw Pamela and Michael Des Barres and had a chance to chat a bit with them.

My friend also pointed out that Chelsea something or other was sitting right next

to me, but I have never heard of her...I guess she's a big deal on E or something.

GREAT SOUND! GREAT VIEW!(I could look at Alison all night...especially the way

the breeze was fluttering her dress.)

Oh, since someone asked, Robert was wearing the usual boots he's been seen in

lately...he also wore them at the Zeppelin O2 reunion gig.

Alison was wearing a lovely orange-red floral print dress with sexy tannish thigh-

high boots.

No When the Levee Breaks...perhaps saving that for tonight...but incredible

versions of Black Country Woman and Battle of Evermore(although Alison

was great, Sandy Denny's version is still tops...at least it was better than the

77 tour where poor John Paul Jones was in the unenviable position of trying

to sing Sandy's parts).

In the Mood with Matty Groves in the middle was a highlight of the night...did

not expect that at all!

Later dudes...gotta run.

A FAR better show tonight! It almost seemed as if there was some thing going on between R&A last night--unlike in all of the interviews I've seen they barely looked at each other. Tonight it was all smiling and laughing and having a great time. Much more coherent musically as a result. I still pine for more Page/Plant or Strange Sensation, but I'll look forward to more Plant/Krauss this fall if they come our way again.

Fashion report: Robert in a long-sleeved black shirt over light jeans (grey, I think, but not that easy to tell with all the lights), plus his cool light beige boots. Alison had tall crinkly black boots tonight with a really pretty bell-sleeved (3/4) multicolored dress (blues and blacks on a white background. She certainly does dress well!

Missed you, Strider--I looked!!!!

Last night Ann & Nancy Wilson were sitting in the section behind us...didn't see

Cameron but it looked like they were with their mother and some other friends.

Also saw Pamela and Michael Des Barres and had a chance to chat a bit with them.

Glad to hear the 2nd night was even better than the 1st. Thanks Allison / Strider for the reviews. Love hearing about the celebs in the audience too. Would've loved to have seen their reactions to the show. Did Pamela have anything interesting to say? (I'm so nosey!) :D

220 on the mastercard

100 on the mervyns card

120 in the gas tank

still, it ain't led zeppelin

But it was robert plant and it was a great show. Although I did manage to stay in my seat, I couldn't sit still. Quick little story...here we go to the show, 30 minute drive from hotel room, 15 minutes on the road Ben says to Kathy, "Got the tickets?"

Whoops back to the hotel. got the tickets now. 15 minutes back on the road...Kathy realizes she left the map and begins prayin there are signs to the greek. Yes there is, whewwww.

We were a little late and just caught the last song, try, from sharon little? I believe thats her name. She rocked.

Highlights of the evening,

ann and nancy wilson just a few rows ahead of us-yeaaahhh--

Robert let out a howl-a great big one-and commented, "I just had to get that out! sorry allison."

Ohhh and one comment overheard from another guest, "I feel like I just left church."

I belive, yes I do!!! kathy

AA, I'm glad the second night was a better one. :)

I'm sure no concert with Robert can be bad, but I still think I'd rather see him doing another things, a second album with Alison just doesn't thrill me. Anyway, seeing Robert on concert is such a wonderful experience, I'm glad you had the chance to be there. And twice!! Lucky girl!

Highlights of the evening,

ann and nancy wilson just a few rows ahead of us-yeaaahhh--

Robert let out a howl-a great big one-and commented, "I just had to get that out! sorry allison."

Ohhh and one comment overheard from another guest, "I feel like I just left church."

I belive, yes I do!!! kathy

Yes, it makes me wish that I was in Santa Barbara right now. These last two nights have been really a welcome change of pace.

Glad to hear the 2nd night was even better than the 1st.

Yes, the 2nd night was much stronger, although on the 1st night I was closer to the stage.

190424958_137345.gif

well great...i just wrote out a long review of the two greek shows and for some

reason it didn't post and i've lost it so i can't repost.

and now i've no time to rewrite it...so y'all have to wait for my magnum opus, hehe.

briefly; both la greek nights were good, second night looser than first, and that goes

for the audience as well. set list same both nights...surprised we didn't get when the levee breaks

either night. was also hoping for maybe hey hey what can i do, as i had read they did that

earlier in tour.

surprised we didn't get when the levee breaks

either night. was also hoping for maybe hey hey what can i do, as i had read they did that

earlier in tour.

I was hoping for those also at the recent shows I saw. But I guess they've taken them out of the set.

*a big thanks to admin for fixing a howling typo in the subject line*

Just back from the first night at the Greek. I quite like Raising Sand and went with a really open mind, but now that I've seen how it all falls out live, I'm not quite sure that it really works. Their voices go really well together, but the music itself boxes Robert's talents in--so much so that at times he's basically reduced to being Alison's back-up singer (which is just silly for a man with such a unique gift). The thing that I've always most loved about Robert is that he really is a vocal gymnast (to borrow a phrase from Jimmy)--while most singers sound the same from verse to verse, Robert never sounds the same even from line to line, which is marvelous. I'm never bored listening to him. But so many of the songs here really made it hard for this lovely variation to come out.

Yeah, as a led zep fan, you cant help but to recognize the boxed in feel to the material, but thats what it was supposed to be, i guess, reflecting the album. I'm sure they could have blown up some faster and louder authentic blue grass, american folk songs if they wanted. The mixing with the sound was subtle, the loud singing parts on -black country woman.

I agree, it did seem like an -alison krauss show in a way, with alot of focus on her. I had never seen her, so i really enjoyed that. I was at the new york show btw, so apparently this first show at the greek theater was an off night. maybe the subtleties and production of the show, reflected the vibe being off?

I think the hush toned -black dog and the version of -in the mood reflected the tone of the show, in regards to -plants side.

But, within the material off the album, they represented the album very well. I am very struck by alison krauss' voice live...would definately go to see her with union station.

Archived