Best Yardbirds song?

jimmie ray

There's only one: Train Kept a Rollin' - Aerosmith's version (with a heave and a ho well I just couldn't let her go!)

AWESOME road trip song btw, but I was never much of a Yardbirds fan anyway. Sorry.

See, they're pissed at me for even suggesting Aerosmith's version is better than theirs! I'm getting the Evil Eye from Jimmy...

p18169uchqa.jpg

I'm surprised no one mentioned "Lost Woman." That's one of my favorites. It's got a sweet little bass riff and then a sweet harmonica part. I'm not sure whether it was Page, Beck or Clapton who played on this song, but the harmonica part is actually sounds very similar to some Cream songs. I also like Over, Under, Sideways, Down, The Nazz are Blue, I'm a Man, and For Your Love.

I'm surprised no one mentioned "Lost Woman." That's one of my favorites. It's got a sweet little bass riff and then a sweet harmonica part. I'm not sure whether it was Page, Beck or Clapton who played on this song, but the harmonica part is actually sounds very similar to some Cream songs. I also like Over, Under, Sideways, Down, The Nazz are Blue, I'm a Man, and For Your Love.

With the exception of "For Your Love" all the songs you listed are with Jeff Beck. Even "FYL" there is some dispute, Clapton definately plays the bridge but Beck may have re-recorded the main riff. It's generally to be considered to be Clapton though.

• 8 months later...

The quintessential Yardbirds song, for me is:

"Over Under Sideways Down"

For the words and the music.....

It was the title song to the album now known as Roger the Engineer, which was originally titled Over Under Sideways Down in the US, Germany, and France.

overunder.jpg

ybirds.can.6202.jpg

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Cars and girls are easy come by in this day and age,

Laughing, joking, drinking, smoking,

Till I've spent my wage.

When I was young people spoke of immorality,

All the things they said were wrong,

Are what I want to be.

(Hey)

Over under sideways down,

(Hey)

Backwards forwards square and round.

(Hey)

(Hey)

When will it end, when will it end,

When will it end, when will it end.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

I find comment 'bout my looks irrelativity,

Think I'll go and have some fun,

'Cos it's all for free.

I'm not searching for a reason to enjoy myself,

Seems it's better done,

Than argued with somebody else.

(Hey)

(Hey)

(Hey)

(Hey)

When will it end, when will it end,

When will it end, when will it end.

Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!

Over under sideways down...

My favourite Clapton-era song would be For Your Love.

Beck-era - it's either Heart Full Of Soul or You're A Better Man Than I.

Page-era - I'm going with the live version of I'm A Man from Cumular Limit or - and I know I'll possibly get some flack for this - Goodnight Sweet Josephine. And I really like their version of Dylan's Most Likely You'll Your Way (And I'll Go Mine).

For Beck and Page-era, it's either Happenings Ten Years Time Ago or Stroll On.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm really blown away by "Evil Hearted You" - it's so chaotic and raw. But not sure which guitarist is on this one (someone made a CD for me, no notes on it)?

How's it going "jimmie ray?" I love all of THE YARDBIRDS' songs. However, in my opinion, the one song that really grabs me is "I'm Not Talking" because it sounds like a LED ZEPPELIN song. ROCK ON!

• 4 weeks later...
I have always loved "under over sideways down" that's the song that really made me fall in love with The Yardbirds :)

Hell to the yes! Very exciting song - Jeff sounds like he learned to play on another planet. It's like a Martian's interpretation of Hawaiian music.

I'd also recommend BBC Sessions: The Yardbirds CD, it's excellent. Contains some of the best renditions of Smokestack Lightning and Little Games, IMO.

Archived