Rock fashion: now and then

I find it interesting that most Led Zeppelin t-shirts have a dark theame when in every single photo or music video I see of Led Zeppelin the band members (Especially Robert Plant) dress very colorfully and fashionable, at times even flamboyant. I take after Robert Plant and dress closely to his style, although not as ecentric I find myself different than many other die hard zep fans. Led Zep songs are about happiness, history and social changes, it seems to me the more colorful look is more fitting.

What do you mean when you say you dress like Plant? I mean I always loved the way he carried on the 60s attitude when most seventies rockers succumbed to the "black-leather-tough-guy" look but the other day my daughters (11 and 13) saw some video of Zep and were shocked at Robert's clothes! "Dad, was it OK to show your chest hair in the seventies?" "Of course!" I said "The chicks dug it". "That's just wrong!" This younger generation has a thing about body hair. I hope you are not running around wearing a girl's blouse and showing your chest hair!

I loved the way those bands dressed in the 70's. Most of them anyways! :P Robert and Jimmy had a great sense of style, and I loved the Stones "look" in the late 60's / early 70's. It just seemed so effortless with them. Mind you, I'm sure the women in their lives had a huge influence in how they dressed, but it worked! I wish bands nowadays would keep up that tradition in at least some way. :huh:

Hey! Zeppelin dominates my taste! I started wearing flares after watching TSRST. And I was 9 and didn't care about chest hair or anything.

I always fall in love with longhaired men. :wub:

They say that every fashion returnes some day...I wish rockbands would have a better taste. I mean, leather jackets and jeans aren't exactly bad, but where is the rock'n'roll attitude?!? -_-

But there will always be the one dragonsuit. Noone can compete! :yay:

I loved the way those bands dressed in the 70's. Most of them anyways! :P Robert and Jimmy had a great sense of style, and I loved the Stones "look" in the late 60's / early 70's. It just seemed so effortless with them. Mind you, I'm sure the women in their lives had a huge influence in how they dressed, but it worked! I wish bands nowadays would keep up that tradition in at least some way. :huh:

when i saw the foos concert i straight away thought how much cooler jimmy looked than these guys half is age...........

I loved the way the bands dressed in the 70's too and, back then, I thought that, of all the rockers, the Zep guys had the greatest sense of style. Aside from their music, when it came to fashion and style (e.g., clothes, hair, etc.), during those years, I didn't think that there was anyone cooler than the Zep guys. Especially Jimmy. In addition to the dragon suit which was so magnificent we gasped when we first saw it, we thought that his shirts, pants, sweaters, vests, SCARVES - even his shoes - were gorgeous. When I first met my husband, I showed him a couple of photos of my friends and I dressed to go to a Zep concert. He couldn't believe how "dressed up" we were and wondered why we weren't in just jeans and t-shirts. I tried to explain to him that, because the Zep guys had such a great sense of style and always looked so fine, we wanted to go to the concerts looking great too. I can't remember what my husband said in response but I do remember him smiling and laughing.

I find this ironic too. I think it is part of a general misperception that LZ is a metal band.

It's also funny to me because just a few days ago I was watching the Royal Albert Hall footage and I noticed Jimmy Page was wearing an argyle sweater vest. Somehow I can't picture any of the guys from Iron Maiden wearing argyle sweater vests onstage!

I find this ironic too. I think it is part of a general misperception that LZ is a metal band.

It's also funny to me because just a few days ago I was watching the Royal Albert Hall footage and I noticed Jimmy Page was wearing an argyle sweater vest. Somehow I can't picture any of the guys from Iron Maiden wearing argyle sweater vests onstage!

Oh, I can! Had a good laugh on it! :hysterical:

In the Knebworth footage, Jimmy looks to be wearing blue shoes (to match the shirt, obviously). But on further inspection, they look to be suede. This begs the question...did Jimmy Page have "blue suede shoes?!" That's so cute, if true. I hope no one stepped on 'em! ;)

It's also funny to me because just a few days ago I was watching the Royal Albert Hall footage and I noticed Jimmy Page was wearing an argyle sweater vest.

I grew up in the 70s, hip huggers and all, and I used to laugh my ass off seeing David Bowie or Elton John prance on stage in platforms. The fact that Jimmy wore an argyle vest with tennis shoes in 1969 made me respect him all the more. Besides, he had balls to wear that vest- it looked like something his Mom knitted him for a birthday present. Still, Jimmy wasn't the best dresser of the 70s- he had some quirky styles and seemed almost colorblind at times- but Jonsey knew how to throw a good pant suit together for any occasion! The heart pinned on his sleeve like in TSRTS, now nobody could get away with that these days.

Rock fashion today is absoutely boring with the same old Hanes t-shirt look. Lots of bands in the 80s tried to be fashionable, but most ended up looking like a piece of opened luggage strewn across a highway. The Ramones, The Go Gos, and Siouxsie come to mind. I think the Police were the best dressed band of the 80s. I saw them live in 1983, as well as last year, and they still dressed cool. But if I had to rate Zeppelin members on fashion, I'd give Robert first place, John Paul 2nd, Bonzo 3rd and Jimmy dead last. Then, and now! :rolleyes:

I grew up in the 70s, hip huggers and all, and I used to laugh my ass off seeing David Bowie or Elton John prance on stage in platforms. The fact that Jimmy wore an argyle vest with tennis shoes in 1969 made me respect him all the more. Besides, he had balls to wear that vest- it looked like something his Mom knitted him for a birthday present. Still, Jimmy wasn't the best dresser of the 70s- he had some quirky styles and seemed almost colorblind at times- but Jonsey knew how to throw a good pant suit together for any occasion! The heart pinned on his sleeve like in TSRTS, now nobody could get away with that these days.

Rock fashion today is absoutely boring with the same old Hanes t-shirt look. Lots of bands in the 80s tried to be fashionable, but most ended up looking like a piece of opened luggage strewn across a highway. The Ramones, The Go Gos, and Siouxsie come to mind. I think the Police were the best dressed band of the 80s. I saw them live in 1983, as well as last year, and they still dressed cool. But if I had to rate Zeppelin members on fashion, I'd give Robert first place, John Paul 2nd, Bonzo 3rd and Jimmy dead last. Then, and now! :rolleyes:

i cant believe you think that! my god. jimmy is the most stylish man ive ver seen. ive never seen him looking anything but smokin hot. he knows how to dress, baby. oh yeah!

I find it interesting that most Led Zeppelin t-shirts have a dark theame when in every single photo or music video I see of Led Zeppelin the band members (Especially Robert Plant) dress very colorfully and fashionable, at times even flamboyant. I take after Robert Plant and dress closely to his style, although not as ecentric I find myself different than many other die hard zep fans. Led Zep songs are about happiness, history and social changes, it seems to me the more colorful look is more fitting.

I may be in the minority but I don't try to dress like my favorite musicians.

i cant believe you think that! my god. jimmy is the most stylish man ive ver seen. ive never seen him looking anything but smokin hot. he knows how to dress, baby. oh yeah!

Jimmy did discover a pretty good look by the 1980 tour, but here's what I had in mind:

1969-12_LochNess_01.jpg

1975-01-18Minn.jpg

1977-04.jpg

1977b.jpg

1998_RP_JP.jpg

...and of course his latest "eco warrior jacket" look isn't too far behind!

I'm just having fun here-

:D

I love that argyle sweater vest. :D

The Dead are also misconstrued as a hard rock band from a lot of people that don't know their music.

The Dead are also misconstrued as a hard rock band from a lot of people that don't know their music.

True but Zeppelin had a definite hard rock side that the Grateful Dead didn't. Either way, they're both prime examples of not judging books by their covers.

Mr. Fashion:

2554akp.jpg

At least he wasn't colorblind handicapped-coordinated on that pic compared to the plaid pants, purple shirt AND red socks ensemble. Give credit where it's due- his socks do match his puffy red pillow. I bet he was wearing lace underware to match the lace sofa cover, too. That accounts for the grin. :D

1969-12_LochNess_01.jpg

At least he wasn't colorblind handicapped-coordinated on that pic compared to the plaid pants, purple shirt AND red socks ensemble.

1969-12_LochNess_01.jpg

:lol: Yeah not really a fan of the above look. But I have pics of myself with plaid pants and red socks from the 70's, but I believe I was 5. Ha! But he definitely redeemed himself in other pics for sure. There was one picture of Robert I was trying to find from around 1975, and he was wearing a fur vest, and a scarf if I'm not mistaken. Would've been perfect for this thread.

At least he wasn't colorblind handicapped-coordinated on that pic compared to the plaid pants, purple shirt AND red socks ensemble. Give credit where it's due- his socks do match his puffy red pillow. I bet he was wearing lace underware to match the lace sofa cover, too. That accounts for the grin. :D

1969-12_LochNess_01.jpg

AAHHHHHHH! Make it go away! That picture should be banned :hysterical:

I do love the scarves, though :thumbsup:

Couldn't find Robert in a fur vest, but I found the man responsible for Jimmy's look- Paul Reeves. He's mentioned in a book that talks about rock fashion and Jimmy's - well, um- contributions. Now all we gotta do is find the person responsible for designing Doc Page's shoes!

As quoted: "...it was Jimmy Page’s dandified presence which betrayed a rich grounding in the male fashion explosion of the 60s." Dandified? Couldn't have said it better myself!! (They all look a bit "dandified" on this pic, don't they?)

The Look- Rock Pop Fashion

2208385465_158e8c17ef_o.jpg

ps- I love those ZOSO pants because my sign, Scorpio, is right where it should be... :rolleyes:

Archived