Favorite 1970 shows?

NickZepp

Here's some of my favorites

Of course 9-4 'Live at Blueberry Hill' is probably the most known Zeppelin bootleg ever. But I actually like the 9-2 Oakland show better.

The 2 New York shows on 9-19 are great. It was the day after Hendrix died and it was mentioned both shows.

3-27 in LA is another good one

Royal Albert Hall 1-9 is amazing also.

That should be a good starting point.

The band was in great form in 1970... heres my favorites (in no particular order)

1970-09-04 Los Angeles (SIBLY from this night is MIND-BENDING)

1970-03-07 Montreaux (A MUST HAVE)

1970-01-09 Royal Albert Hall (Make sure you have the version with Heartbreaker)

1970-03-21 Vancouver (FM radio broadcast - excellent sound quality and performance)

1970-09-19 New York (Decent performance and sound quality)

1970-06-28 Bath Festival (Shitty sound quality for an infamous show)

The 9/19 evening show at MSG in NYC is by far the best performance of the tour. Jimmy's birthday show (1/9) is almost as good as that. The September shows in LA and Oakland are fantastic, too.

Having listened to the Bath show again recently with headphones on (painful on the ears, I know), but I wasn't overly impressed with the performance as much as it's been glorified. A lot of why is because this was the first time some of these songs were played live, and you could definitely sense that. My guess is if there IS video/audio of this show in the vault, this is the reason it's not been put out yet.

Having listened to the Bath show again recently with headphones on (painful on the ears, I know), but I wasn't overly impressed with the performance as much as it's been glorified. A lot of why is because this was the first time some of these songs were played live, and you could definitely sense that. My guess is if there IS video/audio of this show in the vault, this is the reason it's not been put out yet.

I have seen a few seconds of bootleg video footage of Plant at Bath and there's obviously video from Iceland a week earlier.

How can I forget 3-21? That's a classic show. Vancouver always has the best sounding Zeppelin shows. I don't know if any band could be as good as Zeppelin was live from 1969 to about mid 1973.

I have seen a few seconds of bootleg video footage of Plant at Bath and there's obviously video from Iceland a week earlier.

If I'm not correct, that really horrible quality video is from the '69 Bath Festival.

If I'm not correct, that really horrible quality video is from the '69 Bath Festival.

Percy's wearing the long-sleeved dark shirt he wore at Bath 1970; in 1969 he wore a white or light-colored shirt. When I recognized it for what it is I was surprised, it's only a snippet shot from behind Robert. On this bootleg there's also 30 seconds of D&C video from the Lewisville Pop Festival 8-31-69. There's probably hours of film getting brittle in a hot warehouse somewhere . . .

I'd rather see this footage than, say, Knebworth.

Percy's wearing the long-sleeved dark shirt he wore at Bath 1970; in 1969 he wore a white or light-colored shirt. When I recognized it for what it is I was surprised, it's only a snippet shot from behind Robert. On this bootleg there's also 30 seconds of D&C video from the Lewisville Pop Festival 8-31-69. There's probably hours of film getting brittle in a hot warehouse somewhere . . .

I'd rather see this footage than, say, Knebworth.

There's tons of great quality footage of the Texas Pop Festival, but this is honestly the first I've heard of any video footage from the '70 Bath show.

There's tons of great quality footage of the Texas Pop Festival, but this is honestly the first I've heard of any video footage from the '70 Bath show.

From the bottom of my heart I want to contribute quality information (and good vibes) to my friends on this site. I wouldn't blow smoke by making up stuff.

I was in two bands with a bass player who had the most fabulous bootleg audio and video. We were friends but he'd NEVER tell me where got the shit. Seriously, when 'DVD' was released, there was only a few minutes of it I hadn't seen! He had video of Seattle '77 (up to Achilles), a complete Earls Court show, the second Knebworth, the complete rehearsal and performance of the '69 French TV appearance that occurred 39 years ago to this day, hours of '75 and '77 USA tour footage and in the midst of all these videotapes, I saw a few seconds of Plant at Bath and thought, "Uh oh!"

From the bottom of my heart I want to contribute quality information (and good vibes) to my friends on this site. I wouldn't blow smoke by making up stuff.

I was in two bands with a bass player who had the most fabulous bootleg audio and video. We were friends but he'd NEVER tell me where got the shit. Seriously, when 'DVD' was released, there was only a few minutes of it I hadn't seen! He had video of Seattle '77 (up to Achilles), a complete Earls Court show, the second Knebworth, the complete rehearsal and performance of the '69 French TV appearance that occurred 39 years ago to this day, hours of '75 and '77 USA tour footage and in the midst of all these videotapes, I saw a few seconds of Plant at Bath and thought, "Uh oh!"

all the stuff you mention has been around in the circuts for a long time.

Yep, I've got what I think is all the footage available from Texas Pop Festival in 1969 (6 or so minutes worth of amateur-shot footage)

Its basically a compilation of snippets from I Can't Quit You (who someone mis-labled on the screen as You Shook Me - damn amateurs!), Dazed and Confused, How Many More Times, and You Shook Me.

I've got to think that with all the soundboard recordings out there that there is a alot of video to go along with it... it only makes sense. By 1970 I doubt they were recording themselves just for the hell of it. Even if all that remains of them is small little 1-2 minute segments, its still a cool thing to see (or collect).

Its a toss-up between 1969 and 1970 to which I think is best... I like 1969 because they're really raw and still experimenting, but I like 1970 because the setlists had a little more to offer. What it really comes down to is does Plant still scream like a god-damn banshee? - Yes for both years. B)

As far as guitar playing goes in 1970 one can hear huge strides in Page's volatile playing every 30 days not unlike Coltrane's advances in 1965. In '70 Pagey tinkered with a myriad of styles authoritatively like no other 12-month period in Zep history. By 1971 he'd settled into a slightly less experimental but more classic groove his playing would henceforth take with the band.

By January 1971 Zeppelin had recorded their first four albums in a period of less than two and a half years.

agree about Page in 70. he does play a different solo though for just about every song every night in 71. but not in the same way as 70. I hear what your saying though....

but 69-70 Zep is untouchable!

Zeppelin's early years did have a lot of turmoil and change just about every night. Not turmoil in a bad way really but they constantly had song changes. Sometimes they were limited in what they how long they could play. But they were very undisciplined mostly because they were still learning each others limits. By 1971 and later they knew what they could do and knew how to keep everyone in check. That's why you pretty much see the same setlists for each year after 70 with a few exceptions of course. In 69 and 70 it seemed like they could almost played the songs in different order. Or they would have jams go on so differently each night. That's what made those shows so exciting though.

I Can't Quit You

This song was fu[kin' swingin' live.

With all due respect swinging implies jazz. Rocking, on the other hand, would be like the end of Skynyrd's Free Bird after the vocals finish. Zeppelin 'rocked' frequently, as we know.

Truthfully ICQYB is more of a dirge than a swing tune, a very basic blues progression. If you want to hear Zeppelin swingin' listen to the 'doo whop' section of The Ocean after the last verse. That's a swing beat with a 12/4 feel, alike yet different from the 12/8 pulse in Michael Jackson's The Way You Make Me Feel. At the start of The Ocean the instruments phrase in 7/8 (an odd time signature that's awkward to clap or dance to) until Plant starts singing then the song shifts into 4/4, a beat everybody can clap along with. When the vocals stop and the main riff begins again the song is back in 7/8.

Pink Floyd's Money is a similar song that's in 7/4 (the same time signature as much of The Ocean except with quarter notes instead of eighth notes on the hi-hat) and Money also shifts to 4/4 time during the guitar solo before reverting back to 7/4 again.

To get the idea clap your hands along with The Ocean or Money. You'll discover the beat alternates---the beat falls half the time when your palms touch and half the time when they're apart.

With all due respect swinging implies jazz. Rocking, on the other hand, would be like the end of Skynyrd's Free Bird after the vocals finish. Zeppelin 'rocked' frequently, as we know.

Truthfully ICQYB is more of a dirge than a swing tune, a very basic blues progression. If you want to hear Zeppelin swingin' listen to the 'doo whop' section of The Ocean after the last verse. That's a swing beat with a 12/4 feel, alike yet different from the 12/8 pulse in Michael Jackson's The Way You Make Me Feel. At the start of The Ocean the instruments phrase in 7/8 (an odd time signature that's awkward to clap or dance to) until Plant starts singing then the song shifts into 4/4, a beat everybody can clap along with. When the vocals stop and the main riff begins again the song is back in 7/8.

Pink Floyd's Money is a similar song that's in 7/4 (the same time signature as much of The Ocean except with quarter notes instead of eighth notes on the hi-hat) and Money also shifts to 4/4 time during the guitar solo before reverting back to 7/4 again.

To get the idea clap your hands along with The Ocean or Money. You'll discover the beat alternates---the beat falls half the time when your palms touch and half the time when they're apart.

I guess I had better be careful what I say for fears of it being taken too literal. By no means did I mean to imply that ICQY was jazz. You know that I know better than that!

I guess what I meant to say is that I go absolutely insane inside when I hear it and start drumming on my lap and air-guitaring all over the house while the speaker cabinets go vibrating across the floor... lol.

Be it a basic blues progression? I can buy that... I'm less of a fan of the structure (as you know by me not even knowing what a bar was) and more of a fan of what sort of feeling I get from listening to it. Thats not to say I don't know what timing is... I can and do recognize it at least. (I'm not that musically iliterate)

I just like the song. And Jimmy played the ever-livin' hell out of it live in 1970.

I guess I had better be careful what I say for fears of it being taken too literal. By no means did I mean to imply that ICQY was jazz. You know that I know better than that!

I guess what I meant to say is that I go absolutely insane inside when I hear it and start drumming on my lap and air-guitaring all over the house while the speaker cabinets go vibrating across the floor... lol.

Be it a basic blues progression? I can buy that... I'm less of a fan of the structure (as you know by me not even knowing what a bar was) and more of a fan of what sort of feeling I get from listening to it. Thats not to say I don't know what timing is... I can and do recognize it at least. (I'm not that musically iliterate)

I just like the song. And Jimmy played the ever-livin' hell out of it live in 1970.

IMHO, all of Jimmy's playing is about "Feel" That's what makes him so unique. There are certainly more technical players out there but, nobody has that sound and feel that Jimmy has. Nobody !

Archived