Favorite 1970 shows?

NickZepp

I didn't want to sound like I was correcting you either, docron. I participate in this forum to have fun and learn, and assume you do too.

ICQYB does have a 'feel' as Ally said, a 'groove' that keeps the song moving forward. It's this groove that inflicts sudden seizures of air guitar (I suffer from the same malady!)

The song itself, like You Shook Me, is a basic blues form used by a host of musicians from Robert Johnson to The Stones. This is oversimplifying it but most blues songs are like rap songs to me---same beat, different words. Tea For One, You're Gonna Crawl, same thing, I seldom listen to either of them.

Blues and popular music in general is about being simple. If it wasn't about being simple as can be the musicians wouldn't like playing it and the people wouldn't listen. The blues side of Zeppelin is pretty large. Really only Houses doesn't have a true blues song. That's really the only album that doesn't have blues in it. The others have many songs with blues influences.

The poster above was implying the feel they got from ICQYB. Not the kind of music it was. The thing is that after the March Zeppelin didn't play the song much in 1970. They dropped by mid March of that year.

Back to the topic, one of my favorite shows from 1970 was 8-15 @ Yale. It's just such a great overall performance from the band. Bonzo is just an absolute beast in this one, so is the rest of the band.

It's not the greatest quality being and audience recording, but the band is pretty amazing in it.

Right - I'm beyond the "I hate it - it sounds like shit!" stage in my collection. Now I'm to the point in my collection where I'm picking up the shitty recordings of the good performances.

Anyways, I dig audience recordings because if you close your eyes its like you're right there in the venue next to the taper...

In fact, in the middle of my 1970 kick, I was "at" the 1970-09-19 show in New York and I "witnessed" a fight in the crowd during Bring It On Home...

For anyone whos into that sort of stuff and wants to listen to it, its pretty clear-as-day... you can hear the parties goin at it with eachother (one party was standing and blocking the view of the others, and ignored Robert's alternate verse in the previous song Dazed and Confused that went "If you don't sit down on the floor, nobody's gonna beable to see behind.. I think its tiime you realized, everybodys come to have a good time...") and some not-so-angelic language being used.

I love little gems like that in a recording.

• 1 month later...
With all due respect swinging implies jazz. Rocking, on the other hand, would be like the end of Skynyrd's Free Bird after the vocals finish. Zeppelin 'rocked' frequently, as we know.

Truthfully ICQYB is more of a dirge than a swing tune, a very basic blues progression. If you want to hear Zeppelin swingin' listen to the 'doo whop' section of The Ocean after the last verse. That's a swing beat with a 12/4 feel, alike yet different from the 12/8 pulse in Michael Jackson's The Way You Make Me Feel. At the start of The Ocean the instruments phrase in 7/8 (an odd time signature that's awkward to clap or dance to) until Plant starts singing then the song shifts into 4/4, a beat everybody can clap along with. When the vocals stop and the main riff begins again the song is back in 7/8.

Pink Floyd's Money is a similar song that's in 7/4 (the same time signature as much of The Ocean except with quarter notes instead of eighth notes on the hi-hat) and Money also shifts to 4/4 time during the guitar solo before reverting back to 7/4 again.

To get the idea clap your hands along with The Ocean or Money. You'll discover the beat alternates---the beat falls half the time when your palms touch and half the time when they're apart.

Earl's Court 5/25/75

Seattle 7/17/77

MSG 7/27-7/29

St. Paul 1973. (the recording may not be that good, but the show was great)

LA Forum 6/2/72 (wrong date?)

LA Forum 6/25/77

LA Forum 3/25/75

Focus man, focus. 1970! Not the 1970s. <_<

For me there is nothing better than the Sept. 4, 1970 show at the Forum. Everything from start to finish is just kick ass Zeppelin. The two encores alone are just out of this world good and if tracked out correctly look like this....

Encore 1:

Communication Breakdown > Good Times, Bad Times > JPJ Bass Solo > For What It's Worth > I Saw Her Standing There > Communication Breakdown :blink:

Encore 2:

Out On The Tiles :notworthy:

Blueberry Hill

That show is just full of juicy goodness. Jimmy even plays 'Bron-Yr-Aur' for Pete sake. Five years before anyone knew what it was. Incredible show.

2nd favorite show of 1970 is March 3rd at Montreux, Switzerland. If you'd heard this show you know what I'm talking about. They just bring it hard and play to a very enthusiastic crowd which you can tell feeds their energy and playing. ICQY and D&C stand out immediately. As well as Jimmy's solo during a scorching Heartbreaker. SIBLY simply oozes with nasty blues. Robert, oddly, introduces SIBLY as the first song off Zep III. I think this may have been one of the earliest performances of it.

And the coup d’état... 25 minutes of How Many More Times. :D

Don't get much better than those two shows. Face it... Zeppelin was on fire in 1970.

Pic from the Montreux gig:

LedZepMontreaux.jpg

Oh Lord, theres a jazz snob among us! Swinging is not a jazz only thing my friend! You cant listen to the blues???? Does the I-IV-V kill you?? Does it have to be a sophisticated harmonic progression to make sense to you?? What , you need some rhythm changes to make it satisfying?? Cant stand a once chord groove? Dont be a snob.....you need to listen to ALL blues and get over the 'simple' harmonic' changes....this is MUSIC!!!! Listen!!!! Listen for the feel and emotion not the intellectual aspect!!! Once you can do this you will progress!!! Trust me! DONT BE A SNOB!!! I Cant Quit You Baby SWINGS!!!! and is really cool!...BTW, IM an educated musician that GETS it...Watch the DVD, Bonzo is swinging like crazy on the Albert Hall gigs! HEAVY SWINGING!!!... There is nothing wrong with playing a song that contains a simple harmonic progression!!! And...there is nothing wrong with playing a song that is a complicated harmonic progresson....its MUSIC!!! You go with the feeling and the MOMENT....once you learn that then you will be able to walk the rice paper!!!

• 11 months later...
Focus man, focus. 1970!

2nd favorite show of 1970 is March 3rd at Montreux, Switzerland. If you'd heard this show you know what I'm talking about. They just bring it hard and play to a very enthusiastic crowd which you can tell feeds their energy and playing. ICQY and D&C stand out immediately. As well as Jimmy's solo during a scorching Heartbreaker. SIBLY simply oozes with nasty blues. Robert, oddly, introduces SIBLY as the first song off Zep III. I think this may have been one of the earliest performances of it.

And the coup d’état... 25 minutes of How Many More Times. :D

Don't get much better than those two shows. Face it... Zeppelin was on fire in 1970.

Pic from the Montreux gig:

LedZepMontreaux.jpg

I just got this show the other day, incredible performance IMO , Plant is on fire and Heartbreaker and SIBLY are mind-blowing :o

Late last night I put on Blueberry Hill 9-4-70.

That is one kick ass show all the way through. The version of Heartbreaker is brutal. The solo is excellent and it's played at lightning fast speed.

Immigrant Song, Dazed, etc, etc. These versions are all up tempo and full of energy...This has to go down as one of Zep's greatest live moments..

Now, if they only had pro-shot footage of thos one.....

• 2 weeks later...

Have yet to start collecting Zep bootlegs, but this is a no brainer for me. My first Led Zeppelin show 9/4/70 at The Forum. After the show, walking to the car singing Blueberry Hill. Could not believe how strong they were live! Did not expect to hear "For What It's Worth". Everyone I know that went to that show were all blown away!

Archived