$1300 too much for a guitar if you just play at home with friends?

amk

I have always wanted a Gibson Les Paul, and a beautiful one is sold by a Guitar Center near my house, it looks like something Jimmy Page would play! But it is $1300. I play a lot and want to continue to play, like a hobby forever. And don't these instruments last a lifetime? Someone said it was a good investment.

Would you guys say this is too much money for a guitar for a person who does NOT play on stage? I have just been playing at home with friends and their basses and other guitars. I'm 18 and work 32-40 hours a week (during the summer), so I'm still okay to throw out money....right...? =/

And also, right now I have an Epiphone, but am not a big fan of it. I would most likely sell it if I bought this guitar.

Thanks for your input

AMK

If guitar is a serious hobby of yours, $1300 isn't too much to ask for a Gibson les paul (depending on the model). The question is whether or not that $1300 can be better spent.

What model are you looking at? Assuming you're buying new, you're looking at a studio or similar? If so, hold onto your money. Gibson puts out a lot of duds these days on standard production les pauls (studios, classics, standards, etc), not to mention, new les pauls have weight relief chambering which some people like and others don't. Buying used is your best bet, the best ones were made in the mid 90s. The quality of build is better, setup is better and you can generally find studios for around $800, classics for around $1100 and standards for $1500-1600.

and also, what amplifier are you using? Your unsatisfactory experience with your Epiphone may simply be due to a poor amplifier. If you are not playing through a good amplifier, you will not get the true sound of your guitar. A $500 guitar will sound far better through a $1300 amplifier than a $1300 guitar will sound through a $500 amplifier.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm a firm believer of not paying too much for instruments. Like other products, you sometimes pay for the name and can get the same or better results with a lesser name brand. But having said that, a musical instrument is like a body part and it has to feel right as well as sound good. So, $1,300 is an awful lot of money, but if it gives you great satisfaction playing it, go ahead and get it. You won't be sorry.

BTW, i have done business with Guitar Center many times and one thing you can do is barter with them. And you can trade in your Epi too. Remember, it's a buyers market right now. They need your business, so deal with them and I bet you can lower that price. Good luck.

BTW, i have done business with Guitar Center many times and one thing you can do is barter with them. And you can trade in your Epi too. Remember, it's a buyers market right now. They need your business, so deal with them and I bet you can lower that price. Good luck.

Thanks guys for the replies. Actually GC won't barter anymore, everything is a fixed price now, which sucks ><

I have always wanted a Gibson Les Paul, and a beautiful one is sold by a Guitar Center near my house, it looks like something Jimmy Page would play! But it is $1300. I play a lot and want to continue to play, like a hobby forever. And don't these instruments last a lifetime? Someone said it was a good investment.

Would you guys say this is too much money for a guitar for a person who does NOT play on stage? I have just been playing at home with friends and their basses and other guitars. I'm 18 and work 32-40 hours a week (during the summer), so I'm still okay to throw out money....right...? =/

And also, right now I have an Epiphone, but am not a big fan of it. I would most likely sell it if I bought this guitar.

Thanks for your input

AMK

If yourre not going to be pro and perform on stage... In that case i think 1300 is too much.. try something less costly... There are many models that cost less... though it would have looked great hangin on the wall... But if you want it baddly and your heart is weeping any time you see it... Goo and buy...

Thanks guys for the replies. Actually GC won't barter anymore, everything is a fixed price now, which sucks ><

That must be a local thing and not a GC policy.

As far as the money goes...I agree with Andrew, be wise in which Paul you invest in or you will not realize as much value if you go to sell at a later date.

Other than that, I'd say if you are going to suffer financially in making that purchase, don't do it. If you can do it to "chase your dream", then by all means...you will be as happy as one can be 1300.00 lighter. B)

1300 is all up to you, if your serious about it, go for it. For a Gibson Les Paul its cheap. Here i am wanting to save 3000 for an Orange amp half-stack, to get near jimmy pages tone, and my own. People might call you crazy for spending that much cash on a guitar, but at least you got a sweet axe lol.

1300 is all up to you, if your serious about it, go for it. For a Gibson Les Paul its cheap. Here i am wanting to save 3000 for an Orange amp half-stack, to get near jimmy pages tone, and my own. People might call you crazy for spending that much cash on a guitar, but at least you got a sweet axe lol.

Oranges sound quite a bit different from Marshalls, particularly Jimmy Page's Marshall. Unless you are trying to get that post Zep Black Crowes type of tone.

If it's just a hobby and you occasionally play at home with friends, I suggest you should stick with your Epiphone. I suppose you're not a professional musician if you just play now and then, so I think you're not that particular about the sound you get to spend 1300$ on a guitar which you play occasionally. And the Epi does its job pretty good (IMO).

But anywho, it depends on the financial status as well and, after all, you make the decision.

Right.

In fact i'm going there today to seriously talk about purchasing a new drum kit.

I have no intention of paying the price on the sticker.

No idea why the GC told us that.

But yeah I play pretty much everyday, especially days when I'm not working (4 hours yesterday), not just occasionally

No idea why the GC told us that.

But yeah I play pretty much everyday, especially days when I'm not working (4 hours yesterday), not just occasionally

Many stores will do that if they do not think you are a serious buyer. If you are a kid, or show little experience with guitars, they will often not take you seriously and will try to charge you the full retail price.

That must be a local thing and not a GC policy.

Actually, I was just informed by my connect at GC that corporate has come down on dealing. Big shift in policy. No more banging the GP (gross profit) keyboard until it beeps. Days of 5-under deals are over. Sucks man!

As for the question, can you afford $1300? Let me tell you a story. I've had everything. Literally. Boutique. Custom Shop. Off the rack. PRS, Jackson, you name it. To a degree it doesn't mean shit. My '59 Custom Shop reissue was a work of art. My '57 Goldtop, not so much. Yet, I found a $300 Epiphone that plays just as well. 90% of all Epiphones I've played are garbage, but I found a winner. Likewise, I've owned $1300 Les Pauls that I regretted buying. Lesson is this: play as many guitars as you can get your hands on. Never buy any instrument sight-unseen regardless of the hype in the catalogs. Screw the color, the flame, all that shit. When the right instrument is in your hands, you'll know. Buy that one.

Actually, I was just informed by my connect at GC that corporate has come down on dealing. Big shift in policy. No more banging the GP (gross profit) keyboard until it beeps. Days of 5-under deals are over. Sucks man!

As for the question, can you afford $1300? Let me tell you a story. I've had everything. Literally. Boutique. Custom Shop. Off the rack. PRS, Jackson, you name it. To a degree it doesn't mean shit. My '59 Custom Shop reissue was a work of art. My '57 Goldtop, not so much. Yet, I found a $300 Epiphone that plays just as well. 90% of all Epiphones I've played are garbage, but I found a winner. Likewise, I've owned $1300 Les Pauls that I regretted buying. Lesson is this: play as many guitars as you can get your hands on. Never buy any instrument sight-unseen regardless of the hype in the catalogs. Screw the color, the flame, all that shit. When the right instrument is in your hands, you'll know. Buy that one.

ev, have you picked up any of the ibanez single cutaways? ART100-400 series? whatcha think?

ev, have you picked up any of the ibanez single cutaways? ART100-400 series? whatcha think?

Honestly, no. Ever since my spree in 2003 when I got everything from a PRS Singlecut to Gretsch Brian Setzer, I've pared it down to the bare essentials. My sunburst Les Paul. My black American Std Strat with Duncans for the heavy stuff. My FrankenTele for the detuned shit. And my Candy Apple Red American Std Strat for clean tones. From 14 to 4! It's like losing a limb! :lol:

Yep, couldn't agree more.

The fun is shopping. It can be the most pleasurable and agonizing time all in one.

Trying out all those different instruments, then trying to decide which one to buy.

The bad deal with GC is that being so big, they have a large selection and there are always a hundred or so plugged in and shredding, so you have this cacophony of noise going on. But hey, it's all good :)

Yep, couldn't agree more.

The fun is shopping. It can be the most pleasurable and agonizing time all in one.

Trying out all those different instruments, then trying to decide which one to buy.

The bad deal with GC is that being so big, they have a large selection and there are always a hundred or so plugged in and shredding, so you have this cacophony of noise going on. But hey, it's all good :)

Yeah, but those clowns aren't buying. They're just messing around. Any serious buyer should never shy away from the quiet room. The good amps are in there and you can actually hear. I used to feel like that was some special place for mega purchases. Not true. In fact, the salesmen prefer you use the room, as cacophany and all can make you nuts! :lol:

Buyers: if you have cash, that room is for YOU! Whether it's 3 hundred or 3 grand. That room is for YOU! :beer:

I couldn't agree more Evster! When you hold the one, you'll know it's the one. Regardless of whether it's $300 or $3000. I've never been a Fender guy. Les Pauls and the like for me. I don't know why, but I've just never liked the way they felt. But I was in a local shop with my son and we were just playing whatever and I picked up this Eric Johnson signature model Strat and OMFG! It fit me to a T and I fell in love with it. I have never played a guitar that suited itself to me so well. Both hands were just able to do whatever they wanted, if that makes sense. I couldn't believe it. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford it either. When I went back a few months later, it was gone but another Eric Johnson was in it's place for the same price. A completely different guitar and I didn't like it at all. Played like crap.

So I guess I'm just agreeing with previous posts. Get out there and play as many as you can and buy the one that fits you the best, regardless of price. More money doesn't necessarily make it a better guitar.

In fact, the salesmen prefer you use the room,

Which brings up another point. I don't know about where you live, but the GC here for the past few years, have had a sad sales staff. Doesn't seem like they're knowledgeable enough to sell musical instruments. Which leads to another point. For all it's convenience, selection, price, etc., GC is to music gear what Home Depot is to hardware. If you think about it, they have put the little guy, who devoted his/her life to it, out on the street. Kinda sad, but that's business I guess.

BTW, being a drummer, there is no quiet room. They have a separate room for cymbals. If you want to sit behind a kit already set up, you have to wait for ritalin kid to finish.

I agree with a lot of what's been said - particularly that you can find "the one" in many different price ranges.

What I'd add to the pot is this: in the end only you can decide if a particular guitar is worth it's price, whether it's listed for hundreds or thousands. If you aren't yet comfortable with making that decision on a $1300 guitar, then perhaps you shouldn't be thinking about one yet.

Don't missunderstand me here: that's not intended as any kind of put down - I'm not suggesting that you aren't "good enough" for a $1300 guitar, or anything like that. The opperative word was "yet" (& I used it twice just to be sure ;))

What I'm saying is that when you're happy to play a bunch of guitars in a shop & can judge for yourself that these ones aren't any good, but those are worth the asking price, then that's when you can be happy to spend that kind of money on a guitar, not because a magazine review said it was worth it, or because someone else said it was, but because you know it yourself, and can judge the differences.

FWIW I paid about £1450 for my Les Paul, & I was happy to do it, because I found one that just spoke to me. I'm not a pro player - these days, with family commitments etc I've slid down into "amateur" again, not even "semi-pro". But I'm happy to own that guitar, & I'm happy that I was able to judge it for myself.

Are you playing those guitars through the same amp, or possibly your own amp when you shop around?

For 1300 dollars I would make damn sure the guitar sounds good through whatever amp you intend to use. When I went shopping for amps a few years ago I tried out a brand new amp and a used model that should have sounded exactly the same. The used amp sounded better. If possible use the same amp you intend to play the guitar through.

That being said I think I would play it unplugged before I did anything else.

Which brings up another point. I don't know about where you live, but the GC here for the past few years, have had a sad sales staff. Doesn't seem like they're knowledgeable enough to sell musical instruments. Which leads to another point. For all it's convenience, selection, price, etc., GC is to music gear what Home Depot is to hardware. If you think about it, they have put the little guy, who devoted his/her life to it, out on the street. Kinda sad, but that's business I guess.

BTW, being a drummer, there is no quiet room. They have a separate room for cymbals. If you want to sit behind a kit already set up, you have to wait for ritalin kid to finish.

Oh, the drum area. I feel your pain. Yeah, we have a cymbal room too. But I guess it makes sense. You can't just drag a kit off the floor to be alone with it. :lol: Yeah, there was a thread on the old board discussing the positives and negatives of letting kids bash away. The serious buyers were of course annoyed, while some other folks were saying this was where they found their enthusiasm for playing, and that led to better things musically.

As for the sales staff, do you know what they get paid? I wouldn't give a shit either for that money! The bottom line there is, if you are knowledgeable enough, you deserve more than GC can afford to pay you as wages. The new buyer has to look out for themselves, and seek out people like ourselves, who've been around the block a few thousand times. People like HUW, who will tell it like it is, and provide sound advice that can prepare you to know what to seek and what to avoid when choosing what's really an extension of yourself. It's not a hammer afterall. A hammer is a hammer, but an instrument that speaks for you? That's something else, and it must fit. In your hands. It must have a voice that communicates for you. It must be able to sing your song.

Unless you play death metal. Then it really doesn't matter! :lol:

Sorry for all the preaching! :beer:

...what's really an extension of yourself. It's not a hammer afterall. A hammer is a hammer, but an instrument that speaks for you? That's something else, and it must fit. In your hands. It must have a voice that communicates for you. It must be able to sing your song...

Beautifully put, Evster.

You hit the nail right on the head...

...and without a hammer, either! B)

Archived