Are cracks beginning to show

Yes, all due respect to Jewel but what she does is cookie cutter "folk" compared to the works of true artists such as Iris Dement, Gillian Welch, Mary Gauthier and similar female performers.

my suggestion was made completely tongue-in-cheek...regardless of their music styles, i believe jewel's singing ability blows alison's out of the water...

I don't really think Jewel has much singing (or yodeling) ability. In fact, I don't think she has much talent at all (though she is easy on the eyes). On the other hand, Alison strikes me as an superbly gifted musician and vocalist. Her singing in O Brother, Where Art Thou? with Emmylou and Gillian Welch during the sirens scene was a match made in heaven. Given such an opportunity I have a huge sinking feeling that someone like Jewel would have just fucked it up. T Bone knew exactly what he was doing and picked the perfect vocalists for the job, Alison included. Jewel simply would have been out of her league in such a situation.

I don't really think Jewel has much singing (or yodeling) ability. In fact, I don't think she has much talent at all (though she is easy on the eyes). On the other hand, Alison strikes me as an superbly gifted musician and vocalist. Her singing in O Brother, Where Art Thou? with Emmylou and Gillian Welch during the sirens scene was a match made in heaven. Given such an opportunity I have a huge sinking feeling that someone like Jewel would have just fucked it up. T Bone knew exactly what he was doing and picked the perfect vocalists for the job, Alison included. Jewel simply would have been out of her league in such a situation.

Alison Krauss may be all that, but she is much more of a city slicker, not a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnZ_dg8Be_Y, a scene that

or Lee Ann Rimes could handle. I don't know about Jewel, but I wonder if Alison has ever ridden a horse. I guess Alison could find a way to navigate Patsy Montana's songs without a yodel, but I think her career has been more carefully orchestrated by the city slicker types so common in the industry. Jewel's songs tend to be more originally her own.

As for yodeling, Jewel probably learned to do that as a kid. If Alison had to yodel she probably would not know how, and Jewel would be a source of information on the how-to of yodeling because she does know how.

Alison Krauss may be all that, but she is much more of a city slicker, not a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnZ_dg8Be_Y, a scene that
or Lee Ann Rimes could handle. I don't know about Jewel, but I wonder if Alison has ever ridden a horse. I guess Alison could find a way to navigate Patsy Montana's songs without a yodel, but I think her career has been more carefully orchestrated by the city slicker types so common in the industry. Jewel's songs tend to be more originally her own.

Man, she needs to ge a songwriter, then :lol: Ak has more talent in a strand of her hair.

I'm happy for you. I guess thats why there are different flavors of ice cream. Some like vanilla, some like strawberry. I do not like Rock a Billy or anything close to it.

I love it. In fact it was the Honeydrippers album that sent me in search of early sides by Elvis, Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc. Much the same way the early Zeppelin records sent me in search of the original blues recordings that inspired those songs. I also think there's much more at play on Raising Sand than rockabilly. I've heard some even refer to it as a "bluegrass" record when I don't hear any bluegrass on it at all. Only a few songs even hint at rockabilly. I think there's something far greater at work there, a forging of Plant and Krauss' multiple influences that encompass more than just rock and country but all the styles that slip through the cracks.

No cracks between Krauss and Plant just some wishful thinking on the part of some

While there are many that no doubt like this latest turn in the Plant saga, there are obviously many, many more that do not.

I'll call it a "Very, Very Weak" attempt to make a buck while turning your back on your friends and fans..............AGAIN.

I'd call it one of the best records I've had the pleasure of hearing in recent years. Sit around and whack it to old photos of Led Zeppelin if that's what pleases you, the rest of us are firmly planted (HA!) in the here and now and the fact that Led Zeppelin is not touring but Plant and Krauss are. If it's meant to happen, it will. Otherwise, welcome to the reality of the situation. Plant made a commitment to record and tour with Krauss long before the 02 concert was even mentioned. I'm not sure what so many seem to find so difficult to understand about that.

Plant made a commitment to record and tour with Krauss long before the 02 concert was even mentioned. I'm not sure what so many seem to find so difficult to understand about that.

Maybe a little verbal commitment to his fans and friends that after the Allison venture he will do something Zeppelin would take care of it. But no, it's Plant and he has to keep everyone hanging on edge because he is so tempermental and always has to be the center of attention.

Maybe a little verbal commitment to his fans and friends that after the Allison venture he will do something Zeppelin would take care of it. But no, it's Plant and he has to keep everyone hanging on edge because he is so tempermental and always has to be the center of attention.

Yup, it is HIS life. :o

:boohoo:

:coffee:

I suppose he could marry all of us in some kind of strange group wedding, though I would probably take that opportunity to head to the refreshment stand and ask for a soft drink with ice.

Robert Plant is one of those people who is a natural at being the center of attention. Most of us got used to that a long time ago.

I don't think Robert Plant owes me any type of explanation or that he is trying to be the "center of attention". This project was planned long before the 02 reunion and nothing has ever even been said about a Zep tour, that is only speculation. He's only carrying through his obligation to tour behind Raising Sand. I'm sure if Page, Jones or Jason had similar prior commitments they would see them through first as well. Plant holding up some kind of "reunion" tour (which is only a rumor anyway) is all in your head. If it's meant to happen, it will. Until then I'm going to enjoy what Plant is doing now.

While there are many that no doubt like this latest turn in the Plant saga, there are obviously many, many more that do not.

If we accept this is true it is moot anyway. Plant can do whatever he wants just as your free not to like it

In regards to this thread "Are cracks beginning to show", the truth is that this whole tour is just not a very big deal in the scheme as related to other big name tours. No, cracks are not starting to show, it's just not all that popular in the first place. And, this does not mean that Allison and Plant are not popular, they are. It means that not near as many people are willing to shell out their hard earned money for what they are hearing as those around here want to believe. Yes, many have bought the album and might like a song or two...............but to hear it live.................BOARING. Then you factor in the "Remakes" of classic LZ songs to a Rock a billy genre, and you are seeing the results. Cancelling shows, cancelling DVD's and even having to struggle to sell out many even small venues.

Now this is the truth, tell me one thing that I just said that is not. And I do agree that many do like this duet and I have said so, just the vast majority is not very impressed.

In regards to this thread "Are cracks beginning to show", the truth is that this whole tour is just not a very big deal in the scheme as related to other big name tours. No, cracks are not starting to show, it's just not all that popular in the first place. And, this does not mean that Allison and Plant are not popular, they are. It means that not near as many people are willing to shell out their hard earned money for what they are hearing as those around here want to believe. Yes, many have bought the album and might like a song or two...............but to hear it live.................BOARING. Then you factor in the "Remakes" of classic LZ songs to a Rock a billy genre, and you are seeing the results. Cancelling shows, cancelling DVD's and even having to struggle to sell out many even small venues.

Now this is the truth, tell me one thing that I just said that is not. And I do agree that many do like this duet and I have said so, just the vast majority is not very impressed.

You, and a couple of other people do not constitute a "vast majority"

Boaring would be hunting boar,I presume? :rolleyes:

When I say vast majority I am not talking about the Plant apologists around here, but the millions of Page, JPJ, Bonam and Percy fans the world over. But tell something in that post that is not true.

When I say vast majority I am not talking about the Plant apologists around here, but the millions of Page, JPJ, Bonam and Percy fans the world over. But tell something in that post that is not true.

my dear little short-bus rider:

the things you cite are interpretive. robert plant is a smaller cult of a large cult: led zeppelin

struggling to sell out small venues? that would infer that you knew they believed they would sell out those venues. you don't know that. you yourself have pointed out the economics of the situation. they are selling just fine. no struggle so, that is not true.

boaring show? not true, either. have you seen one yet? then you can't speak for everyone, little person. not true, as well, aye?

how can you deride a tour that you yourself have not even seen?

hahahahahahaha!!!!

you're not qualified to even have an opinion.

hahahahahahahahaha!!!

you-tube isn't the same. ask anyone who actually has gone.

plant resisted zeppelin for years until he had distance . he definitely hasn't traded on it. krauss is doing some of her own hits .

what do you say to john paul jones opinion of allison krauss (loves her)?

hahahahahahahaa!!

ridiculous....

then you can't speak for everyone, little person

That's the best part of your whole post. The "Little Person" part :D:D . To be such a Percy apologist that you have to BE"Little" people that you do not agree with is fascinating, along with down right funny!! :D:D

My wife and I saw the Asheville show and we loved every minute of it and we love all the songs they played on the album and all the ones they did at the show,Alisons and Roberts (The Zep stuff,especially) and the stuff that T Bone did as well.That had to be one of the best shows that I've ever seen.I saw Jimmy and the Crowes and I saw the Unledded tour too.

I think that your silly opinion holds no value here,we "Plant apologists" could give a flying fuck about your whining opinion...If it happens,it happens.If it doesn't,I'm not gonna cry about it...When Bonham died,I thought Zeppelin would never get back together.I'm still cool with that.Zeppelin is not Zeppelin without John Bonham.End of story.You have nothing else to argue over,so shut the fuck up.

Archived