Are cracks beginning to show

Believe me, if Robert and Allison's agents thought that this show could sell out larger arenas, that's where they would be. Get real.

Thanks :rolleyes: . Did anyone think that a Plant/Krauss collaboration would be playing arenas? No. So where were they booked? 3K-5K seaters. Is that a failure? No. That is the size of the projected audience for a bluegrass collaboration. So why are people bitching that it is beneath Robert? It's not like they're playing stadiums and only 5K are showing up. Dazed and Confused fanbase on here.

It's not the size of the audience for the Who and Stones, it's the going through the motions performances while charging an obscene amount of money to the audience. It is not about music, it is about money. I think Plant/Krauss have far more integrity than those rockers with walkers on the pension fund tour.

Thanks :rolleyes: . Did anyone think that a Plant/Krauss collaboration would be playing arenas? No. So where were they booked? 3K-5K seaters. Is that a failure? No. That is the size of the projected audience for a bluegrass collaboration. So why are people bitching that it is beneath Robert?

Especially when there are only 9 days left in the tour. :lol:

It's not the size of the audience for the Who and Stones, it's the going through the motions performances while charging an obscene amount of money to the audience. It is not about music, it is about money. I think Plant/Krauss have far more integrity than those rockers with walkers on the pension fund tour.

Give us a break!

For crying out loud, they sold one of their songs to JC Penny for their tv commercial for a reported five figure sum (Reported in Rolling Stone Magazine). Who needs the money or is looking for mass exposure now??

No one is forced to pay the 'obscene' amount of money charged for tickets either, the consumer wants to and is willing to pay this amount to see The Who and/or the Stones (or any other band for that matter) perform live. This is economics 101; supply vs demand. And as I see it, Plant/Krauss have supplied a song to the mass public exposure via the JC Penny tv advertisement and based on live ticket sales and size of the venue being booked, demand is not really there.

Give us a break!

For crying out loud, they sold one of their songs to JC Penny for their tv commercial for a reported five figure sum (Reported in Rolling Stone Magazine). Who needs the money or is looking for mass exposure now??

No one is forced to pay the 'obscene' amount of money charged for tickets either, the consumer wants to and is willing to pay this amount to see The Who and/or the Stones (or any other band for that matter) perform live. This is economics 101; supply vs demand. And as I see it, Plant/Krauss have supplied a song to the mass public exposure via the JC Penny tv advertisement and based on live ticket sales and size of the venue being booked, demand is not really there.

You obviously skipped economics 101. So, let me get this straight. They book mid-sized to small theatres with capacities of around 4K-6K (supply)and they average around 5K per night (demand). Would that not be meeting demand, or close to it? Am I missing something?

As far as JC Penny commericial, I could care less. The album is great, and I don't think you can question their intentions. And, am I'm not mistaken, or has Raising Sand sold over 1 million copies in the US?

You obviously skipped economics 101. So, let me get this straight. They book mid-sized to small theatres with capacities of around 4K-6K (supply)and they average around 5K per night (demand). Would that not be meeting demand, or close to it? Am I missing something?

As far as JC Penny commericial, I could care less. The album is great, and I don't think you can question their intentions. And, am I'm not mistaken, or has Raising Sand sold over 1 million copies in the US?

"Am I missing something?" Come on wake up. They are only playing to 5,000 per night? Thats nothing! "The Wiggles" played to twice that crowd in TX in the same venue that Plant/Krauss played this month!!! You don't find this odd, considering the album is 'great' and has sold over "1 million" copies??? Or could it be that many really don't care for this type of music and could care less to see them perform these songs live in concert?

"Am I missing something?" Come on wake up. They are only playing to 5,000 per night? Thats nothing! "The Wiggles" played to twice that crowd in TX in the same venue that Plant/Krauss played this month!!! You don't find this odd, considering the album is 'great' and has sold over "1 million" copies??? Or could it be that many really don't care for this type of music and could care less to see them perform these songs live in concert?

this insistence on using the 'wiggles' is pretty retarded (sorry, retarded people). don't the wiggles have a preschool-aged demographic? and these children spend their milk money or something to see this show? or do parents who have read and heard that purchasing wiggles products will guarantee their children an academic level previously only obtained by chimps that have been sent to space?

in any regard, how about using something a little more relevant if you want to make this argument. i'll start:

how about kid rock? i like this guy, he gives a helluva show, he's playing to 8-12k seaters and has had an album out a similar length of time. i wonder what he has sold?

<------beatbo goes to see....

'rock and roll jesus' 500, 000. a gold record. that's good! see the thing is, why buy a whole album when you only have to buy the good songs on it? haven't you heard? hard to sell a whole disc of that mess these days.

what about robert's original band, led zeppelin? they put out an album in november, mothership. no new songs, just like robert. led zeppelin, one of the top 3 largest selling bands of alltime, right?

<-------beatbo checks it out

not even gold.

we could do this all night but at least it would be alot less skewed than the wiggles.

however, i am prepared to apologize if the wiggles are one of your faves, rayban.

edit to add: don't the wiggles have a sign up outside their venues that state "if you aren't this tall, you can come in for free"?

Why don't you just say that you hate Alison Krauss and hope Robert never works with her again so he can concentrate on a Zeppelin tour? The arguement about live attendance is not valid. Again, they booked 5K places and they are playing to 5K places. That is the size audience that they expected to draw. If that is a failure in your eyes, fine. The Wiggles are playing to more people, so aren't the Spice Girls and Hannah Montana. In your world, the only successful artists are the ones that play to over 15k a night and ticket sales are more important than substance. While you are shelling out thousands to see a classic rock band play the same set year after year in front of bored baby boomers, amazing and authentic musicians are playing smaller venues for a fraction of the cost. It would really be worth your time to check some of them out.

HI:

Just a reminder that the tour comes to Toronto on Monday July 14 at The Molson Amphitheatre...

I saw Please Read the Letter today @ 5:45 on MUCH MORE MUSIC...It's a beautiful video especially the balcony scene...

I wish I could be there but there is no late train out of Toronto anymore...there used to be but it was cancelled due to the cutbacks during a former Prime Minister's term...GRRR

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME IF YA GO....

Juliet xo

Looking forward to the concert tonight here in Atlanta.

I'll send an email update with the set list, highlights and all in the morning.

I've got 2nd row tickets in front of Robert and getting excited about the show.

Hope the rain stays away or comes through early (cools things off here) and the weather is clear for the concert at 8pm tonight.

R B)

He has never used the word hate, it is his opinion, why are you so worked up over it? I have never got the opinion that he hates Alison. He, like I do not like this latest effort and the fact that it is at small venues and not selling well at some of those is proof that it is not as popular as many want to believe. That does not mean that I am not happy for those that are enjoying it. Have a great time.

Where has it not been selling to capacity?

HI:

Just a reminder that the tour comes to Toronto on Monday July 14 at The Molson Amphitheatre...

I saw Please Read the Letter today @ 5:45 on MUCH MORE MUSIC...It's a beautiful video especially the balcony scene...

I wish I could be there but there is no late train out of Toronto anymore...there used to be but it was cancelled due to the cutbacks during a former Prime Minister's term...GRRR

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME IF YA GO....

Juliet xo

They have hotels in Toronto. You can always bring your parents to supervise you if necessary. They may welcome an excuse to have some summer fun.

Why don't you just say that you hate Alison Krauss and hope Robert never works with her again so he can concentrate on a Zeppelin tour?

I don't hate her at all. She is multi talented. She is not an ultra hot babe imo, but I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers either. :D

They have hotels in Toronto. You can always bring your parents to supervise you if necessary. They may welcome an excuse to have some summer fun.

You are a dear.....but I hate my father...just kiddin'...just a bit o' Shakespeare humour....

EL....I have to work the next day so I can't stay over...

I will be watching the news for pics and reviews...

Hope the rain stays away or comes through early (cools things off here) and the weather is clear for the concert at 8pm tonight.

R B)

HI R:

Yes...please let us know how it went...HAVE A SUPER TIME.....J

R B)

:thumbsup: Can't wait to read the review!

You are a dear.....but I hate my father...just kiddin'...just a bit o' Shakespeare humour....

EL....I have to work the next day so I can't stay over...

I will be watching the news for pics and reviews...

I know what you mean. I came in to work on Monday, October 3, 2005 with my armband still attached from the night before when Robert Plant and Strange Sensation appeared locally. Fortunately they were flexible about my start time that day.

That's great!! Tickets seem easy to get.

tickets are easy to get- for everybody! who do you want to see that is touring? there are tickets. here is the link to pollstar http://www.pollstar.com/

i just came from there-see how many shows you can find that are sold out....

besides bonjovi and springsteen, there are only 2 hip hop acts in the top fifty tour grosses.

but...

Country artists continue to display touring appeal by occupying 15 spots on the Top 100 (nine in the Top 50) as compared to 11 a year ago. Kenny Chesney ranked at No. 4 and was the only act besides Bon Jovi to sell more than a half million tickets.

i guess bill o'reilly hasn't told you what to believe yet....but don't worry.

he will.

tickets are easy to get- for everybody! who do you want to see that is touring? there are tickets. here is the link to pollstar http://www.pollstar.com/

i just came from there-see how many shows you can find that are sold out....

besides bonjovi and springsteen, there are only 2 hip hop acts in the top fifty tour grosses.

but...

i guess bill o'reilly hasn't told you what to believe yet....but don't worry.

he will.

To hell with O' Reilly; hit the sauce again, Planet. At least it was funny then.

LMAO This post is making me recollect a few shows I 've had the pleasure of seeing in night clubs not at capacity:

1)PVR was free tickets emailed to me after I bought 1....... I invited a few friends and sat at a half empty night club at a table enjoying a cocktail or 2 with my feet up on an empty chair ded center with David Crosby preforming with his son and his band right in front of me relaxing,beautiful with jams.

2)John Paul Jones with his band &members of Primus and such and King Crimson not capacity (but I don't go for the crowd its the tunes)chillin in the front at a table n chairs set up and open floor playing ........to many instruments to count masterfully and throwin in a few Led Zeppelin Classics with,,,,,, ohhhhh myyyyyy a different twist maybe I dare say a little folky at times as well .......it was Excellent.....give me a small not to capacity venue anyday

But I guess thats not really the point of all the negativity in this post Peace and enjoy how ever ya enjoy, just don't wait to see someone for the promise maybe dreams of tommorrow :D

Well, IMHO, there are no cracks showing.

Have just got back from the States after catching the Lake Tahoe, San Diego and Phoenix shows and the stage chemistry between them seems fine to me. They both are clearly enjoying it and so did I.

Had a surreal experience in San Diego. I was staying at the hotel where the gig was (Humphreys). Arrived the night before...next morning at 10.30am I opened my french windows to go out on my patio for a smoke....my view of san diego harbour had been blocked by the tour bus and the next thing I saw was Alison Krauss and her son (plus security guard) walking directly towards me. (they had to go past my room to get to theirs)...

The band (minus Robert) arrived at noon and trooped past my door. By this time though the autograph hunters had found the "arrival point" and spent the rest of the day outside my room waiting for Robert....I knew then of course that Robert would not use this entrance. I listened to the soundcheck from the swimming pool area behind the stage. (hotel guests only can get in) Later on, went to the bar which is behind the back row of the arena and overlooks the harbour......the left hand side of the arena is on the waterfront and I was amazed watching all the small boats, yachts, people on surfboards arriving cramming themselves against the quayside for a (restricted) free view. Partying all around.

During the day I had been chatting to hotel and venue security on and off ..about Robert/Zep etc...being English most of them assumed I was with the tour.... (I know my stuff....and was regaling them with anecdotes of the last 30 years following Robert around the world...this came in handy as I hadn't got a ticket...and come showtime when certain areas around the pool where being blocked off and manned by the security they left me alone and I watched from the below side of the stage. Result!!

Lake Tahoe was another good show in a spectacular setting.....As for Phoenix though...(indoors..thankfully out of the heat)...security were pretty keen on having a quiet word with people with cameras..making sure it was only photos / no flash..and no filming...but they seemed oblivious to the disturbed individual front and center who was stood glaring intently at Robert. The stage was only about three feet high and this guy first walked up to within two feet of Robert, took his shirt off and laid it on the stage in front of Robert...then turned and robotically strode back. Security never moved an inch and I found myself keeping an eye on him. 15 mins later he holds up a sign "you made my life"....eventually he approaches the stage again..right up to Robert mid number and lays the sign in front of him. ( Alison mouthed "awwww" Robert smiled but was wary. ) Again no venue security moved an inch. I knew it would happen....third time..he marched more intently towards the stage..this time he didn;t stop and climbed on the stage. Robert had seen it coming and mid song points to him...and Roberts own crew rushed on stage to smother and remove him. Venue security hadn't spotted it at all!

At the end of the show as they took their encore bow...T-Bone held up the sign "you made my life"

HI R:

Yes...please let us know how it went...HAVE A SUPER TIME.....J

Thanks. Last night was incredible. It was better than I thought it would be. I tried to downplay but by mid-day yesterday, I was getting into concert mode. ok, now for the Chastain Ampitheatre (Atlanta) concert details.

Sharon Little opened and only played for about 30 minutes (22 minutes exactly). She performed about 5 songs and was a powerful singer. She was friendly, bluesy and belted out a few originals from her first cd. From my understanding, she was working waiting tables in Philly, was spotted at a club, signed earlier this year to CBS/Sony, recorded her debut cd with her producer/ guitarist (from last night) and Robert Plant/ Alison Krauss hand-picked her to open for them on their North American tour this summer.

Robert and Alison arrived on stage after the band, decked out in suits, began the opening song. Robert was wearing a navy buttoned down short sleeve shirt that wasn't tucked in, light brown leather pants and light suede boots. Alison was wearing a simple but elegant dress (looking like she was ready for church on a Sunday morning). Robert and Alison were simply amazing. Alison's voice was so pure and angelic (but also very powerful when needed). She never oversang. She always sang from her heart and what was best for the purpose of serving the song (as Plant). Plant sang background to Alison on a few numbers as well as contributed to three part harmony on another number.

Robert and Alison (especially) loosened up mid set and they had a fun evening performing. Robert shared a few short thoughts througout the evening. He quoted James Brown about Atlanta and feeling good, he made mention of it being such a priviledge of being in the US where the blues began and especially in the south learning more about our culture and rich history. Alison was very humble and gracious to the wonderful response the crowd gave her (after every song, just about everyone in the sell out crowd came to their feet in standing ovations). The weather held up beautifully (raining before the concert and stopping just in time beforehand). Everyone went home feeling a little closer to connecting to the spirit of music, so I believe Robert and Alison achieved their goal of transmitting (as Robert called it) their message of music. Well done.

They performed from 9pm until 11pm (as this outdoor venue in surrounded by an upscale neighborhood and connected golfcouse/countryclub atmosphere (and there is a noise ordinance/curfew, which was the only limiting factor of the evening). From my understanding in a few conversations with other Krauss & Plant fans in attendance, there will be a DVD of one of their recent shows to be released later this year and (perhaps) another studio effort next year. I spoke with the promoter of the concert briefly afterwards and there were no aftershow passes given out (only event staff given access backstage) last night. Also, noticable for Chastain last night, there was an Increased level of security for this show as they were contracted by Plant's management. There were four security guards behind metal railing between the front row and the stage.

Set List --- 7/10/08:

Rich Woman --- Plant & Krauss appeared on stage after the band began the intro to the song

Leave My Woman Alone

Black Dog --- same arrangement to CMT tv special performance in Feb. '08

Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us

Through The Morning Through The Night

Fortune Teller (ethereal vibe on this one with Alison's vocals really shing through)

In The Mood (wonderful new arrangement --- Plant doing a country hoe-down stance & having fun)

Black Country Woman --- low key at beginning and then drums with full band coming in

Shut It Tight

Bon Temps Roule (T-Bone Burnett sang with band --- Plant & Krauss not on stage)

Trampled Rose --- similar arrangement to the cd

Green Pastures --- Alison sang really beautifully in this one

Down To The River and Pray (Alison solo --- amazing vocals)

Killing The Blues --- very dynamic effort by the band (harsh drums & violins at times then softening)

Nothin'

The Battle of Evermore (amazing vocals by both Plant & Krauss)

Please Read The Letter --- same arrangement as the cd (great performance)

Gone Gone Gone --- fun vibe and crowd throwing beach ball up on stage (Plant & Krauss both threw it back into crowd) / shiny silverish/tinsel backdrop revealed for this song throughout the end of the night

You Don't Knock --- Plant singing powerfully on this one

One Woman Man

Encores:

Goodbye So Long (low key number)

(Little Richard cover) --- don't remember the name

R B)

Archived