Good Samaritan

Dancin'Days

I remember sitting at a bus stop after work one day, I think I was 15, it was pissing down rain, you know, one of those California winter storms. A van pulled up and the dude asked if I needed a ride? I said sure, I got in, he asked me where I live, I told him across town and away we went. He then pulled out a joint, lit it, handed it to me and said "this should warm you up" I smoked it (good shit by the way) got to my hause, said thanks, later dude and that is one of my good memories of the 70's.

DD

Our nearest hospital is called "Good Samaritan" - they have helped my wife many times (she has a seizure and other neurological problems). Ironically, Samaritans were considered the worst of people in Biblical times, but the original story is about one who helps a mugging victim that all the "better" people in the area passed by...

I remember sitting at a bus stop after work one day, I think I was 15, it was pissing down rain, you know, one of those California winter storms. A van pulled up and the dude asked if I needed a ride? I said sure, I got in, he asked me where I live, I told him across town and away we went. He then pulled out a joint, lit it, handed it to me and said "this should warm you up" I smoked it (good shit by the way) got to my hause, said thanks, later dude and that is one of my good memories of the 70's.

DD

You're lucky that guy didn't dump your lifeless body in a ravine somewhere. I don't care what the weather is, I won't get in someone's car if I don't know who they are.

As for the topic, I've had people help me with grocery bags before when I was living at school. This guy I knew who lived in the apartment next to mine carried my stuff up 5 flights of stairs for me, and I didn't even ask him to. He insisted. So I made him some cupcakes in appreciation. That sort of thing doesn't happen everyday, you know.

You're lucky that guy didn't dump your lifeless body in a ravine somewhere. I don't care what the weather is, I won't get in someone's car if I don't know who they are.

As for the topic, I've had people help me with grocery bags before when I was living at school. This guy I knew who lived in the apartment next to mine carried my stuff up 5 flights of stairs for me, and I didn't even ask him to. He insisted. So I made him some cupcakes in appreciation. That sort of thing doesn't happen everyday, you know.

So now that you are living at home again, do you still find people to help you carry your groceries down one flight of stairs to your parents' basement?

:D

Haven't you ever hitch hiked? It used to be my main mode of transportation. I hitch hiked all over Europe, when I was younger. It is a shame that danger is the first thing that comes to your mind when hearing a story like this. I can't understand how people can do other living souls harm for personal gain, or just for fun! I thought twice about writing this story because of the reaction that you had but, I also kind of wanted to show how there are good people in the world also and I really appriciated it at the time. I have other bad stories but that is not the subject at hand.

Sounds like a nice guy! Did he enjoy your cupcakes?

DD

Wow, no one has been nice to you in 30 years?!?! What a heartwarming story, one that goes against what every parent now tells their kids - don't talk to strangers and don't take drugs. Nowadays, if a van pulls up to you and stops you may either get shot or abducted. People don't normally offer strangers rides either. They may get shot or carjacked. A lot has changed here in CA since the 70's. :D

Haven't you ever hitch hiked? It used to be my main mode of transportation.......It is a shame that danger is the first thing that comes to your mind when hearing a story like this.

Same here. Starting at 10 or so. I don't know if "things" are so much different now or just our perception of them.

Wow, no one has been nice to you in 30 years?!?! What a heartwarming story, one that goes against what every parent now tells their kids - don't talk to strangers and don't take drugs. Nowadays, if a van pulls up to you and stops you may either get shot or abducted. People don't normally offer strangers rides either. They may get shot or carjacked. A lot has changed here in CA since the 70's. :D

Actually, I never said that, did I???? I thought of this story when I read about someone wishing they had grown up in the "classick rock" (60's And 70's) era. And yes, California has changed that much! We never locked our front door when I was growing up there. The last time I was there I would lock the screen door even if I was sitting in the front room. What a shame! Ironically, I am living now in a little town in Germany, where I don't lock my front door either.