What if...

slagfarmer

A Coda would have come out eventually. Just not in 1982. Jimmy still drank a lot after Bonzo died but the drugs are what was killing him in the late 70s. Just look at DVD of him in 70(at RAH) or 75(at Earls Court) from the DVD and compare that to Knebworth just a few years later. It looks almost like a different guy.
Jimmy did'nt kick the smack until before the ARMS shows. It was actually Chris Squire (who lived nearby) that finally got him to get out of the house and start playing again.

Jimmy did'nt kick the smack until before the ARMS shows. It was actually Chris Squire (who lived nearby) that finally got him to get out of the house and start playing again.

I've heard he tried stopping it right after Bonzo died but he could have just slowed it down or stopped for a time. It's a hard habit to break.

Um, as sad as it is to say, Page would've died. Unless he became really clean really fast. He says he saw a doctor in the early 80's and was told he was living on borrowed time. If he cleaned up they'd still be around. Like The Rolling Stones, only better.

Since LZ ended I have no heard 1 good page riff.

Crack Back off of JPJ's Scream for Help. Featuring JP

However, even though JP is credited as co writer. The Riff sounds very JPJish. Something like Black Dog crossed between Heartbreaker.

Also the Truth Explodes from No Quarter

The Riff from Who's to Blame off of DWII heard at 57 seconds mark

Jam Sandwich off of DWII

Big Band, Sax and Violence Riff heard from the mid point on from DWII

Wanna Make Love and Liquid Mercury off Outrider

Coverdale Page has some nice riffs on Pride and Joy, Easy Does It, Over know, and Absolution Blues.

JP & RP WIC I wouldn't quite call it Riffs, But it has a lot of nice Guitar Phrasing. Burning UP and WIC sound really great live

Fortune Hunter and Tear Down The Walls were nice riffs put into ho hum songs from the Firm

Reading stuff about John Bonham being fed up with all the touring, and leaving his family,then I believe, even if he had not died, something would of happened. Now all these years later they have come back and are still as big as they ever were, and they always will be.

Reading stuff about John Bonham being fed up with all the touring, and leaving his family,then I believe, even if he had not died, something would of happened. Now all these years later they have come back and are still as big as they ever were, and they always will be.

I say that about many bands...what would have happened

what if VH stayed together for 25 years and never stopped?

If Zeppelin continued, they would have been bigger than the Beatles by far

although, drugs could have killed Page maybe?

• 6 months later...
After the tour of -america, imo -page and -bonham would have had to face a road of change, not being judgemental, just saying from what i see as a fan. Ofcourse good advice is always easy and hindsight is hindsight. As a band, it would have done them good to take some time off and regroup when it was a good time to regroup.

It seemed like -plant and -jones were thinking of the 80s already from what -in through the out door sounded like.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah right

led zeppelin were never told what to do

the other bands were inspired by what they do

and yeah bonham' s death was to save page's life

so either jimmy or bonham have died

the band have disbandeeeed

if any member died they wouldn't complete

in my opinion

led zeppelin have matured in their sound significantly in presence and through the out door

and this was their direction in the 80sssss i am sure 100%

the songs were to be like

carouselambara and achillies last stand and in the evening and wearing and tearing

orrrrrrr

it will sound like covedale-page

or the firm

because these were jimmy ideas then in the 80ssssss

not rockabilly

nor accoustic songs

no

it was to be a more mature heavy metallic progressive sound

i built my opinion

because i listened to all zep albums and i ve noticed who they matured in their sound towards a hard and prog sound in the two last albums and the compalition coda

at last

its only an opinion :(

thank u

Perhaps their music would have softened a little only to lash back with a powerful hard rock album entwined with slightly psychedelic touches.

right

and some synth touches

but maybe they would have separeted and every member launched a solo carrer and

again

page would team up with paul rodgers and david covedale

as side projects

because it seems that these projects were in his mind ;)

or just

take the outrider album and put some robert planty vocals there ;)

I feel bad for saying it, but after seeing the Stones fuck everything up and carry on waaaaaaaay too long, its almost like it worked out to perfection. I love Zeppelin, but something tells me their fans wouldn't have let them quit on their own terms and eventually they wouldve gotten tattered and torn up.

I'll tell you what would have happened:

1981 - Jimmy Page driven to a hospital in ambulance after collapsing from drug use.

1982 - Robert Plant launches successful solo career; contemplates leaving the band.

1983 - New double album, "Led Zeppelin: The Outtakes" released feuturing every unreleased studio track they had ever recorded up to that point.

1985 - Tour which has to be cancelled after 3 shows because of Page collapsing onstage.

1986 - Page told he must quit or else he will die within 6 months.

1987 - After several failed attemps at quitting, Page's doctor tells him he will die, definitely, within 3 months; NO STOPPING IT THIS TIME.

1988 - One last album and tour before Page dies; Tour headline: "Led Zeppelin: The Hindenburg Incident". Page dies in his home at 2:06 AM on May 23.

1989 - Final album finally released; Plant and Bonham start new group, JPJ leaves to pursue a solo career.

It would keep going from there, but it woudn't be Zepp anymore. Note: Just a random, made-up date and time for Page's death. The tour would have been called "The Hindenburg Incident" because the Hindenburg (which was a Zeppelin) went down in flames, and, eventually the same thing was about to happen to Zepp. Sad, but, probably true.

I don't really like Coda, ITTOD or Presence (with the exception of We're Gonna Groove). I prefer all their earlier albums. So they may have gone in a direction I wouldn't have been keen on.

1981 - Jimmy Page driven to a hospital in ambulance after collapsing from drug use.

1982 - Robert Plant launches successful solo career; contemplates leaving the band.

1983 - New double album, "Led Zeppelin: The Outtakes" released feuturing every unreleased studio track they had ever recorded up to that point.

1985 - Tour which has to be cancelled after 3 shows because of Page collapsing onstage.

1987 - After several failed attemps at quitting, Page's doctor tells him he will die, definitely, within 3 months; NO STOPPING IT THIS TIME.

1988 - One last album and tour before Page dies; Tour headline: "Led Zeppelin: The Hindenburg Incident". Page dies in his home at 2:06 AM on May 23.

1989 - Final album finally released; Plant and Bonham start new group, JPJ leaves to pursue a solo career.

It would keep going from there, but it woudn't be Zepp anymore. Note: Just a random, made-up date and time for Page's death. The tour would have been called "The Hindenburg Incident" because the Hindenburg (which was a Zeppelin) went down in flames, and, eventually the same thing was about to happen to Zepp. Sad, but, probably true.

Well, I can see they way you see life... :huh:

Boneheaded response, at best.

Fact is, In through the out door was a kick ass album, and Zeppelin's true last album. They had been accused after Prescence of "forgetting how to rock". In through the out door was the response album...PROVING that Zeppelin had plenty of rock and skill left in it.

Edited to add this: Led Zeppelin III was a flop. At the time, they were accused of the same thing: Forgetting how to rock. Fact is, Zeppelin were huge and they knew it. They made the music they wanted to make. They didn't care what the producer wanted to sell...the same thing over and over again. They made their music their way and that was it. Today, III is considered a classic. At the time, it was a complete failure. OH...and FYI...the NEXT album was Led Zeppelin IV. If you don't know the success of that album, then you need a labotomy...this AFTER a complete flop at the time, or course. When one looks at bands like Def Leopard...who used to rock, until they made a ballad...then all of a sudden all they make is ballads and they're gone. Journey...same thing. They used to rock, then they made a ballad...and all of a sudden, they're gone. Creed...KICK ASS band...UNTIL they made a ballad...and then everything had to be a ballad because it sells. GONE.

When we also look at Plant's music, Page's stints with "The Firm, etc, we see that they both (and Jones as well) had plenty of gas left in the tank.

I remember the "what if" about SRV. (That's Stevie Ray Vaughn to you unfortunate soles that don't know him...God help you.)

Stevie was on drugs for most of his young career. He finally got cleaned up and was playing better than ever. In fact, I have the last stuff he did on DVD from an Austin City Limits that was never released. He blew Hendrix out of the water. TOTALLY.

There is no evidence that Zeppelin couldn't have done the same...ESPECIALLY given the new recording technologies available since that time.

Everything Plant did was kick ass, pretty much. Everything Page did was too. The two together...there's no reason to doubt that it would have been the same...to this very day.

Regards,

Tom

Well, I can see they way you see life... :huh:

Hey! I'll have you know that, in most cases, I am an Optimist! (Off-mic: Hmph! Sees the way I see life, yeah right...)

Boneheaded response, at best.

Fact is, In through the out door was a kick ass album, and Zeppelin's true last album. They had been accused after Prescence of "forgetting how to rock". In through the out door was the response album...PROVING that Zeppelin had plenty of rock and skill left in it.

Edited to add this: Led Zeppelin III was a flop. At the time, they were accused of the same thing: Forgetting how to rock. Fact is, Zeppelin were huge and they knew it. They made the music they wanted to make. They didn't care what the producer wanted to sell...the same thing over and over again. They made their music their way and that was it. Today, III is considered a classic. At the time, it was a complete failure. OH...and FYI...the NEXT album was Led Zeppelin IV. If you don't know the success of that album, then you need a labotomy...this AFTER a complete flop at the time, or course. When one looks at bands like Def Leopard...who used to rock, until they made a ballad...then all of a sudden all they make is ballads and they're gone. Journey...same thing. They used to rock, then they made a ballad...and all of a sudden, they're gone. Creed...KICK ASS band...UNTIL they made a ballad...and then everything had to be a ballad because it sells. GONE.

When we also look at Plant's music, Page's stints with "The Firm, etc, we see that they both (and Jones as well) had plenty of gas left in the tank.

I remember the "what if" about SRV. (That's Stevie Ray Vaughn to you unfortunate soles that don't know him...God help you.)

Stevie was on drugs for most of his young career. He finally got cleaned up and was playing better than ever. In fact, I have the last stuff he did on DVD from an Austin City Limits that was never released. He blew Hendrix out of the water. TOTALLY.

There is no evidence that Zeppelin couldn't have done the same...ESPECIALLY given the new recording technologies available since that time.

Everything Plant did was kick ass, pretty much. Everything Page did was too. The two together...there's no reason to doubt that it would have been the same...to this very day.

Regards,

Tom

I can see by now that my opinion as to what would have happened is drawing passionate responses. I just used facts I already knew, and came to a surmisable conclusion. There's no telling for sure whether or not Page would have quit if they had carried on. But it is also a fact that Bonham's death was a major driving force behind his struggle to get clean. It was also a very difficult time for all the band members around this time. Page probably would not have quit if he wasn't given a wake-up call fast. Bonham's death forced him to stare his own mortality in the face. Which, eventually led him to quit. OK, now that I've told you what WOULD have happened (in my opinion), let me tell you what SHOULD have happened (in my opinion):

They would have released another Physical Grafitti-esque allbum, which would hit #1 on every chart, stay there for well over a year, and instantly catapult them back to the top!!!!

I think we are avoiding the fact that they would have taken inspiration from U2 and perhaps solved the vexing problem from the '80's - they might finally found a word to rhyme with Nicaragua!

They would have become THE political band of the '80's, with Plant leading the charge for anti Reaganism. As the leader of the anti missile protests in Europe, Plant would have tried to write new songs about this. Page, the capitalist, would have attempted to shoot Mr. Vladimir Illyich Plant during a concert for raising money for the East German Secret Police. Mr. Plant survives, and becomes president of Slobdovia. After the 81 tour or Russia, where Plant discovers the secret skill of Russian women (best bl*&jobs on Earth), he remains dedicated to communism and is presently competing with Robert Mugabe for the award of the worst dictator on Earth.

After Page escapes Jail in East Germany with the help of his new record label owner, Ross Perot, he starts a solo career with sappy ballads and bad singing a la Eric Clapton. When Clapton has a hit with Tears in Heaven for his son that fell out the window, he has Mr. Perot throw Peter Grant out the same window and records the hit song "Earthquake on the Upper East Side."

Bonham becomes upset at the carnage and excess, and takes his natural place as the new drummer for the Ramones. Bonzo Ramone expertly reconstructs the original punk beat, ads nothing, and buys a new pair of pants. He is last heard supporting Journey on their current tour, but cannot control himself after catching Neil Schon and Steve Perry in bed, and sends them out of the window with the TV. He records "Pathetic Falling Fagg*ts" from prison, and it becomes a minor youtube hit.

John Paul Jones manages to save some money and starts a hedge fund. He sues to get his symbol recorded as a ticker symbol, costing many computer companies millions in programming. "we can handle this Y2K stuff no problem," says Bill Gates, "but this symbol crap is killing us!" the cost of getting all MS programs to recognize this symbol causes most computers to replace the letter "Q" with Mr. Jones' symbol. It is pronounced "Qua" for no Quarter. It is later discovered that he was stealing the money to buy used guitars, and upon liquidation the investors discover that the returns on the vintage guitars vastly exceeded the returns of the best funds on the street. After being found innocent, he starts a new hedge fund buying used instruments. He is currently alternating between Monte Carlo and driving to garage sales in Omaha, looking for that elusive bock-a-da-bock.

. But it is also a fact that Bonham's death was a major driving force behind his struggle to get clean. It was also a very difficult time for all the band members around this time. Page probably would not have quit if he wasn't given a wake-up call fast. Bonham's death forced him to stare his own mortality in the face. Which, eventually led him to quit.

Sorry, can't agree with the above "fact". If Jimmy had quit drugs when Bonzo died then maybe..but Bonzo's death made him worse. He was lost without Zeppelin, became reclusive, stopped playing guitar and the addictions got worse for the next few years. Hardly a fast 'wake up' call. He has since said when he saw footage of himself at the ARMS 1983 comcerts he knew he had to do something....I think that was more his wake up call ( along with his own doctors by then I imagine).

Sorry, can't agree with the above "fact". If Jimmy had quit drugs when Bonzo died then maybe..but Bonzo's death made him worse. He was lost without Zeppelin, became reclusive, stopped playing guitar and the addictions got worse for the next few years. Hardly a fast 'wake up' call. He has since said when he saw footage of himself at the ARMS 1983 comcerts he knew he had to do something....I think that was more his wake up call ( along with his own doctors by then I imagine).

Sorry. I probably should have used the word "opinion."

From what I have read, John Henry Bonham, was getting very fed up with touring and being away from his family. His kids were young and he had made his money and did not want to continue, and this is why he was drinking himself to death, so who knows I think he would of left Led Zeppelin,if he had been alive, and tended the land.

Well, considering the fact that Zeppelin had played less than 20 shows over a three year period prior to Bonhams death, I find it hard to believe any of them were "fed up with touring" or the conclusion that "this is why he was drinking himself to death", baloney.

"he had made his money and did not want to continue".

Where the hell are you getting your 'information' from? This is pure crap.

Um, as sad as it is to say, Page would've died. Unless he became really clean really fast. He says he saw a doctor in the early 80's and was told he was living on borrowed time. If he cleaned up they'd still be around. Like The Rolling Stones, only better.
page was living on booze and heroin 77- 83. continued using booze through the 80s just not abusing it as much

Archived