Concert Preview: Ian McLagan Gave Rock Fresh Faces

Jahfin

Songwriter, sideman and now frontman recalls his legendary past but doesn't live there

g27cover1_t220.jpeg

Keyboardist Ian McLagan, a former member of the Small Faces and Faces, has worked with a legion of rock greats from Bob Dylan to the Rolling Stones. Theresa DiMenno

By Bob Mehr, Memphis Commercial Appeal

There's no two ways about it, piano man Ian McLagan keeps some pretty heavy company.

In a recent interview, former Jam leader Paul Weller -- himself a British music icon -- discussed the great thrill of meeting his childhood heroes: Pete Townshend, Paul McCartney, Ray Davies ... and Ian McLagan. While "Mac" -- as he's better known -- may not be as famous as the others, he's a bona fide legend in his own right, having been a key member and songwriter for not one, but two, of rock's greatest bands: The Small Faces and Faces. Add to that an illustrious second career as a side man, recording and touring with everyone from the Rolling Stones to Bob Dylan to Bruce Springsteen, and it's clear to see why this "affable bloke" is a god to a legion of music fans.

To read the rest of the preview click here.

Songwriter, sideman and now frontman recalls his legendary past but doesn't live there

g27cover1_t220.jpeg

Keyboardist Ian McLagan, a former member of the Small Faces and Faces, has worked with a legion of rock greats from Bob Dylan to the Rolling Stones. Theresa DiMenno

By Bob Mehr, Memphis Commercial Appeal

There's no two ways about it, piano man Ian McLagan keeps some pretty heavy company.

In a recent interview, former Jam leader Paul Weller -- himself a British music icon -- discussed the great thrill of meeting his childhood heroes: Pete Townshend, Paul McCartney, Ray Davies ... and Ian McLagan. While "Mac" -- as he's better known -- may not be as famous as the others, he's a bona fide legend in his own right, having been a key member and songwriter for not one, but two, of rock's greatest bands: The Small Faces and Faces. Add to that an illustrious second career as a side man, recording and touring with everyone from the Rolling Stones to Bob Dylan to Bruce Springsteen, and it's clear to see why this "affable bloke" is a god to a legion of music fans.

To read the rest of the preview click here.

excellent article-love the small faces!

great post-thanks!

I love his take on the other artists he's worked with (I wonder if Ryan Adams is one of the "wankers") as well as his opinion (which I share) that Madonna has no place in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. After hearing great things about Ian and the Bump Band I finally had the pleasure of seeing them play live when they hit Raleigh last year. Highly recommended if ever you have the chance. I still need to pick up that Faces box.

On the subject of folks Ian's worked with, they're not mentioned in the article but he's played on records by NC's Patty Hurst Shifter. Be sure to check 'em out if you haven't already. Their originals kick ass but they also do a commendable job of covering Buffalo Springfield's Mr. Soul which appeared on a comp of Neil Young covers called Like A Hurricane which was issued by Uncut magazine several months ago.

9c5b81b0c8a009ced2da9110._AA240_.L.jpg

Patty Hurst Shifter on MySpace

After hearing great things about Ian and the Bump Band I finally had the pleasure of seeing them play live when they hit Raleigh last year. Highly recommended if ever you have the chance.

haven't caught them yet but i know he's in texas alot. the man's a legend...

Aw, thanks for sharing that fantastic article. I know we've talked before here about seeing Ian and his Bump Band. For us it was several times at the Lucky Lounge in Austin. His wife Kim was a beautiful person - inside and out. It was so touching to read what he said about her. After all of the fame and excitement of their younger lives, they built a great life out here with one another. Ian is really a very nice person. It's always refreshing when you find that out about someone famous.

Archived