Led Zeppelin and video games

All I have to say to Led Zeppelin not allowing Guitar Hero to use their music is rock on. And to those who would use other examples of the band doing something similar like the Cadillac commercials . . . that's a luxury car, not to be put on caliber with a fat teenager who can use the hand he normally just beats off with to do something else, being click some buttons on a plastic neck, lets see him try and play I Can't Quit You Baby on a real guitar and get a real sense of accomplishment from that.

If one is right handed, one beats off with the right and frets with the left. :P

Today it was announced that Rock Band 2 will be hitting the Xbox 360 this September and will feature "very high caliber bands." The developers said in an interview a few months ago that they have been talking to Led Zeppelin for over a year and having their music in the game is a possibility. They are also THE most requested band for the game.

I'd just like to know how you guys feel about this. Personally, I'm not sure. Rock Band is my favorite game, yet, knowing Led Zeppelin they would probably only license one song, creating the phenomenon of one-song fans. Those people that say they are fans of Led Zeppelin because they like Stairway, then you ask what other songs they know, and don't know any. Those folk annoy the shit out of me.

I would opt for what The Who, Grateful Dead and Boston did with RB and release several hit songs. If HMX just gives them a taste of the discography perhaps some young people who only listen to radio pop will buy a CD or two.

Thank god that led zeppelin wont let there music be involved in video games.MARK my word video games are BAD BAD news.(1st) video games desensitizes children against senseless violence and (2nd) children are getting addicted to this form of entertainment to the state that it is affecting there social skills .(3rd)people that are addicted to pokie machines $$$$$ it is well known fact that it is the repetitious sound that is played during the lever pulling/playing that is what keeps them addicted.Thank god led zeppelin wont's no part in addictive/anti social games. :blink:

I remember back when they refused to allow iTunes to sell Zep songs. Their basis for not allowing them to do this wasn't a matter of them just being selfish, each album is arranged in a certain way that then band would feel enriched the listening experience, they didn't want to ruin the album experience. I'd rather hear Zep on an old scratchy record then out of my digital speakers any day of the week. Hell I wouldn't be suprised if it was something similiar with the Guitar Hero thing. And now that I think about it . . . all the people I know who play any of the guitar hero games avidly thinks Led has an "a" in it.

When I was driving the other day I heard the DJ on the classic rock station mention that Jimmy was refusing to allow it, it made me feel great, especially in these times where every band I held true to my heart from growing up listening to them will let anyone play their music anywhere they want and do whatever to it. To play a guitar and make music worth listening you have to put every ounce of your heart and soul into every note and play until your fingers blister and bleed to get to that point.

All I have to say to Led Zeppelin not allowing Guitar Hero to use their music is rock on. And to those who would use other examples of the band doing something similar like the Cadillac commercials . . . that's a luxury car, not to be put on caliber with a fat teenager who can use the hand he normally just beats off with to do something else, being click some buttons on a plastic neck, lets see him try and play I Can't Quit You Baby on a real guitar and get a real sense of accomplishment from that.

Here's to the greatest band in the world staying true.

News flash genius, they ARE available to buy and download on iTunes!

Does this apply to tribute bands?

Anyone who plays until their fingers blister or bleed is an idiot!

Generalising is the lowest form of ignorance.

My daughters and I enjoy playing Guitar Hero and ALL of us can play guitar.

Labelling all game players as fat, male and wankers is obnoxious and ill informed, not to mention stupid.

To villify people for being overweight is totally unacceptable.

I suggest you get your hand off it.

Another thing, your grammar is almost as bad as your attitude.

I would expect that from someone who hasn't got the guts to share who they are or where they're from in their profile.

It amuses me when the "play a REAL instrument" card is dealt, usually by snobbish wannabe second rate musicians.

Playing musical instruments and / or games is about having fun.

If the band choose to allow their music (or not) to be used in Guitar Hero etc, is entirely up to them and has nothing to do with "staying true".

End of rant.

Thank god that led zeppelin wont let there music be involved in video games.MARK my word video games are BAD BAD news.(1st) video games desensitizes children against senseless violence and (2nd) children are getting addicted to this form of entertainment to the state that it is affecting there social skills .(3rd)people that are addicted to pokie machines $$$$$ it is well known fact that it is the repetitious sound that is played during the lever pulling/playing that is what keeps them addicted.Thank god led zeppelin wont's no part in addictive/anti social games. :blink:

Oh my God you are so stupid! Uwehehee!

Violent games aren't meant to be played by kids, that's why they're rated M. You can thank stupid parents for letting their kids getting desensitized. And getting addicted? It's entertainment. Video games aren't addictive. However some more impressionable players can have addictive personalities.

Rock Band is a social activity much like karaoke. Also, people who play a real instrument tend to do better at Rock Band and seem to enjoy it at least as much as non-musicians. Of the people I sometimes play with, one of the "guitarists" actually plays guitar and one of the "drummers" actually plays drums. It's just a fun new way to appreciate music.

You have no idea how hard that would be. And Rock Band has its own file type (which is why you can't just import an mp3).

Thank you, that's what I was wondering.

(OTOH, some computer geeks are very very scary in their combined OCD and desire to do evil. :ph34r: )

If one is right handed, one beats off with the right and frets with the left. :P

Thanks for the visual, too. :huh:

:D

Thank you, that's what I was wondering.

(OTOH, some computer geeks are very very scary in their combined OCD and desire to do evil. :ph34r: )

True computer geeks are dedicated to hacking embassy files.

The Great Em/b/assy Security Leak of 2007: Proof that foreign diplomats don't know shit about security.

On August 30, 2007, a gray-hat hacker named Dan Egerstad stumbled upon at least 100 different login pages for various e-mail accounts of embassies around the world. Oh, also their screen names and passwords. Realizing that he was already shitfucked on an international level from this point, he decided it would be a good idea to post them on the internet for all to enjoy.

Inevitably, Anonymous quickly swept this info up and, as Anonymous is wont to do, unleashed all hell and gleefully prepared to jump-start a World War Three.

If I were LZ I would do the same. It's not the new medium that would concern me, it's the access to my master tapes that would bother me. Master tapes are just that: masters. So I would not allow most people to even peek into them. I would protect them with my life. If RB and GH could find a way to use LZ music without asking for the masters, I'm sure JP would consider it. :)

Violent games aren't meant to be played by kids, that's why they're rated M. You can thank stupid parents for letting their kids getting desensitized. And getting addicted? It's entertainment. Video games aren't addictive. However some more impressionable players can have addictive personalities.

yeah thats right;violent games aren't meant to be played by kids but kids being kids sure can get them.You can download them from the internet.(thats like saying children shouldn't smoke pot;but they do.)what parents sit in there 13-16 year olds bedroom (when there buddies come around)watching to see what those kids are watching.come on pull your head in.Of course video games are addictive ;when kids spend all there pocket money buying the latest games thats addiction .when kids sit there for 12 +hours a day watching a screen THATS addiction .its common knowledge that the music/sound affects in pokie machines or one arm bandits is only a subliminal message for the brain to keep you playing /addicted. :blink: Oh my God you are so stupid!

I disagree, but won't call you stupid. I think they are addictive, especially interactive games played online with other people. Better parental supervision can alleviate some of this, but I know a few parents who are addicted, too.

yeah thats right;violent games aren't meant to be played by kids but kids being kids sure can get them.You can download them from the internet.(thats like saying children shouldn't smoke pot;but they do.)what parents sit in there 13-16 year olds bedroom (when there buddies come around)watching to see what those kids are watching.come on pull your head in.Of course video games are addictive ;when kids spend all there pocket money buying the latest games thats addiction .when kids sit there for 12 +hours a day watching a screen THATS addiction .its common knowledge that the music/sound affects in pokie machines or one arm bandits is only a subliminal message for the brain to keep you playing /addicted. :blink: Oh my God you are so stupid!

Well tell me, would you rather have your child "addicted" to an "evil" video game? Or would you rather have your kid addicting to the real evils of the world like pot and meth?

you do know that computers have parental controls that block downloads right?

I don't agree with the grade school name calling, but the rest of the post brings up 2 good points. Parents are responsible for which games are allowed in the home, and video games are not an addiction, they are an obsession....something that can be just as disruptive as an addiction.

I disagree, but won't call you stupid. I think they are addictive, especially interactive games played online with other people. Better parental supervision can alleviate some of this, but I know a few parents who are addicted, too.

Thank you......I was wondering if anyone would acknowledge that video games etc can lead to additive behavior, Its so easy for children to get access to these simply by asking a older brother or friend to get them etc.As for better parental supervision ; this would be the key to solving the problem .but children are usually home from school before 2x parent's working so that would be the ideal world of always been at home to supervise.As someone else has said if the children are playing games in the bedroom then there not a the park or behind the bike shed doing god knows wot...the foibles of youth. :rolleyes:

1. 13-16 year olds with sane parents can handle digital tits and blood

2. People who sit there for 12+ hours a day are a very small percentage of gamers and need to get a life

And as someone else said, would you rather have your child "addicted" to entertainment or using meth?

1. 13-16 year olds with sane parents can handle digital tits and blood

2. People who sit there for 12+ hours a day are a very small percentage of gamers and need to get a life

And as someone else said, would you rather have your child "addicted" to entertainment or using meth?

What was it like when YOU used meth? :blink:

Yeah they are addictive I used to be desperate to play them but I realised that they were wasting my time so I threw them all out.

If they would only put Stairway to Heaven in to the game I think it could create a situation that there would be alot of Led Zeppelin "fans" that only know Stairway to Heaven. My other favourite band is Rammstein and I feel great pain when people only know Du Hast and also think that they Nazis or something. If they would include a few more songs and some songs that are not so well known it would be very nice. I would love to have Achilles Last Stand on Rock Band or Guitar Hero.

Ah, so I see no problem with Zeppelin putting their songs on Rock Band. I just hope they put more than one, and one that is not Stairway. Black Dog would be orgasmic on Rock Band. So would Heartbreaker and Misty Mountain Hop.

As for the one song "fans", I don't care. I'm pretty sure anybody at all that likes rock music at all either likes multiple Led songs (mabye not every one, like me) or has at least heard them enough to know that they like more than one song.

Rock Band is great fun, but the only thing I hate about it, is the covers. I am against every song that is not master recordings. I hate them with a passion. When I say crappy cover, I have in mind School's Out on Guitar Hero. I cried for that.

I hate all the Rush covers they used, too.

I hate guitar hero for that more than anything. I like Rock Band way better because:

1. It actually takes some musical skill for the drumming and singing.

2. I can sing.

3. Rock Band has way more master recordings.

I think this would be a great idea: "God's of Rock Band"

Simple: no second-rate bands, no tributes. It would only be master recordings from the greats: Led Zeppelin, Stones, The Who, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, etc.

I'd buy that.

oh, but wait! I have a Wii! I do hop Rock Band 2 comes to Wii, too.

I think this is a very ignorant point of view.

You're basically representing an anti-social standpoint. You're singling out gamers as a culture without social skills. In fact, they do have social skills, just not the ones you want them to have. If people want to play a video games, alone or with other people, for long periods of time, every day even, then that's their right.

#1, Guitar Hero / Rock Band has ZERO violence (except maybe the violence in some song lyrics, eh?), so don't lump video games all together (very stereotypical to do so). Maybe we shouldn't listen to ANY music at all because SOME kinds of music have violence and profanity? (That was sarcasm). Try again.

#2, What is addiction depends on what is normal. What is normal depends on what people are used to doing. If I said that millions of people are addicted to listening to music, you might think I'm crazy. The point is, social situations change, and video gaming is not going anywhere, and is advancing into our mainstream culture.

Hmm...does this remind anyone of rock and roll in the 50s/60s? Lots of people thought that culture would be the death of society and it was not. You just have to learn to adjust to the new waves of culture.

#3, "pokie" machines? I think you're talking about slot machines. This falls into the category of gambling, which is very different from video gaming. There are some cross-over gambling video games, but just because both have flashy lights and sounds doesn't mean they both represent the same cultural phenomena.

It's sounds like you don't play video games, so I wonder how you're such an expert on them.

Led Zeppelin does not need to be in guitar hero or rock band, but I still want them to be in it. Just because they don't NEED to be in a game, doesn't mean that millions of people wouldn't like to see them in it.

You could actually argue that they do need to be in it, because video games are a cultural input device. The less cultural input devices available, the easier it is for them to not be accesible to emerging generations.

And now for a little segment I like to call:

What it's all about

It's not about what Led Zeppelin needs, because they have everything they'll ever need already.

It's about what WE want, as fans of the band and video gamers.

It's not about playing a real instrument.

It's about playing a game.

It's not about commercialization.

It's about spreading good music vibes.

It's not about the geeks who can modify Rock Band / Guitar Hero

It's about official and professional endorsement.

It seems to me that if the band's biggest concern is the release of master tapes, then I'm sure the video game people will find a way around that.

Does anyone know of any real reasons why 1st generation copies of master tapes couldn't be used? I know sound quality dimishes with each copy, but I'm guessing that a copy straight from the source might do.

I'm voting not to put Stairway to Heaven in the game by the way, Maybe in a later version of the game, but not immediately. The band has plenty of epic songs to choose from. I vote for Kashmir. Achilles Last Stand, Whole Lotta Love, or even Ten Years Gone in place of Stairway.

This is a list of all the songs I would both like to see in the games, and songs that I think would gel well with the whole experience.

Led Zeppelin:

Good Times Bad Times

Dazed and Confused

Communication Breakdown

How Many More Times

Led Zeppelin II:

Whole Lotta Love

Heartbreaker

Ramble On

Bring it On Home

Led Zeppelin III:

Immigrant Song

Celebration Day

Since I've Been Loving You

Out On The Tiles

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

IV:

Black Dog

Rock and Roll

The Battle of Evermore

Stairway to Heaven (as a later release)

Misty Mountain Hop

Going To California

Houses of the Holy:

The Song Remains The Same

The Rain Song

Over The Hills And Far Away

Dancing Days

D'yer Mak'er

No Quarter

The Ocean

Physical Graffiti:

Disc 1:

Custard Pie

The Rover

In My Time Of Dying

Trampled Underfoot

Kashmir

Disc 2:

In The Light

Ten Years Gone

Night Flight

Sick Again

Presence:

Achilles Last Stand

Royal Orleans

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Hots On For Nowhere

In Through The Out Door:

In The Evening

Hot Dog

CODA:

We're Gonna Groove

Walter's Walk

Ozone Baby

Also, I'd be even more excited to see something off of BBC sessions, The Song Remains The Same, the Led Zeppelin DVD, or How The West Was Won. There are many versions of songs that sounds even better live.

Archived