Kiss bashing stairway

I think the number of people that signed up for tickets to the Ahmet Ertegun Tribute Concert (I didn't say "the O2 show" for whomever it was that complained) is a pretty good indication that Led Zeppelin still has tremendous drawing power. Far more than KISS or Green Day, etc. I think only The Beatles (assuming all 4 were still with us) would be the only ones that could have matched that.

I don't think The Beatles would've matched that...I have a feeling they would've far surpassed it... ABBA too...

KISS SUCKS!!! always have and always will it is not even Kiss anymore. Ace is gone and Peter is gone they replaced them with a Tommy Aldridge wannabe (Erick Singer) and there old Production mananger (Tommy Thayer) who used to be in a hair band called Black & Blue and they sucked too. So I don't put much stock in anything coming from KISS they never cared about good music it was all about the look and the show and money so F**K KISS!

they were just messing around. they love led zeppelin. paul can play stairway to heaven.

he can play cream's catalogue too. early kiss was similar in idea to early beatles, whether anyone likes that or not. gene said he wanted kiss to be "heavy metal beatles".

the difference? the beatles wanted to hold your hand, kiss wanted to get in your pants.

yes the beatles also wrote more profound songs than kiss along side their fluffy stuff.

kiss never wrote a let it be or hey jude. why? no one wants to hear songs like that in the middle of an orgy.

It's absurd to think that KISS would bash Zeppelin. I'd like to think if this comment was truly made that it was done in a simply off-handed manner that somebody took the wrong way. Aside from that KISS couldn't hold Zep's jockstrap when it comes to quality music. I own one, and only one, KISS album. Destroyer. When I was a kid I loved that album and still do. But aside from Destroyer they really just weren't that great of a band and more of a marketing gimmick that made a lot of money on being a gimmick.

I don't have a single bootleg by Kiss either. Led Zeppelin, however... well, let's just say I'm way ahead of the game and STILL collecting. :D

You need therapy.

:lol: I think we all need therapy...

Oh, and about Kiss... well they are a bunch of f***rs, and I don't care a sh*t what they think about Zep or Stairway To Heaven...

Kiss isn't the only ones who have "bashed" Stairway...

Has anyone seen the YouTube video of the Foo Fighters' acoustic rendition of Stairway?!

All I could do was shake my head. He obviously was pretending not to know the lyrics..,

It might be that they knew that this song is impossible to cover, and dealt with it accordingly, but it makes me wonder if the members of Zeppelin have seen this, because they just played an appearance with the Foo Fighters a week or two ago... I'm sure it was just for laughs though.

Heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juCQ1BteSW4

That Foo Fighters one was totally an homage, I think. They know they're not gonna match the brilliance of the song, so why even try? I think they were making a joke about people who seriously try to cover it. Hence, I love that performance. Plus Dave Grohl is just funny and even if he did hate Zeppelin, I wouldn't care. He's like the Jim Carrey of rock stars.

Anyhoo, I don't think Kiss would bash them, either, but Gene Simmons has the best reality show in existence so I still like him. Mostly because his kids are so great at making fun of him, though.

This post has nothing to do with anything. I don't even know why I replied.

I think this whole thing was misheard and taken the wrong way by someone; and has now escalated into something it never should be. I happen to like both KISS and LZ(of course on a way different level than KISS). I think this is a dead topic. Your getting no where with this.

If you will not give the reason why you hate Stairway so much then why comment on it at all.

I like you, don't follow Led Zeppelin blindly, buy why all the hate.

"What is a true Led Zeppelin fan"? Well as "Fan" is short for fanatical, it sure ain't you is it?

And as for what it is, that's a matter of opinion, and as you know, opinions are like "Arseholes". Everyone's got one, even you, so don't have a go, just post why you hate "Stairway" so much then we might be able to have a debate on it. Or are you just a "wind-up merchant" me thinks?

Okay;I've thought about this;and I've concluded the following:

It's true that "fan" is short for "fanatic";that doesn't take into account that it's all a matter of degrees.I'm a fan of a lot of things;that doesn't mean I'm (insert band name/actor/sports team/movie hers)'s biggest fan,much less "fanatic"."Fanatic" shows.

an intensity that is missing from "fan"

"Stairway" just never did anything for me,even from the first time I ever heard it.What made it go from dislike into full-fledged hate was/is the fact that seemingly everyone that's a fan of the band thinks that if one doesn't like the song,there's something wrong with them (see below).There's nothing wrong with me;at least no more than anyone else,I'm a fairly normal guy,once you get to know me.If anyone wants to look down on me,or think less of me because of my opinion of one song,that's their loss,not mine.

If I ever completely lost my memory,and was ever able to hear the song again for the first time,I may have a different opinion,but I doubt it.

And you ask me what a Led Zeppelin fan is, if any real "Led Zeppelin fan" met any member of the band what you have said would not even enter their head's. You are so negative that I bet even "Black" is not dark enough in your spectrum.

I should clarify:I don't mean that if I ever get the chance to meet them;the first thing I'd do is say "Oh my god;I hate that song sooo fuckin' much" I just meant that if it were to come up;I wouldn't withold my opinion.I'm reasonably sure I wouldn't be the first one to say so.I'd consider it an honor and a privledge to meet them,and I wouldn't go in with guns blazing just to tell them my opinion of one song.

I'm not nearly as negative as the initial posts may have led you to believe;although black is one of my favorite colors. B)

Hi Dan, how's it going bro? Don't get too riled by ol' 59 over there. He's a gem when you get beneath the crust! ;)

He just doesn't dig Stairway. Best to leave it at that. I don't get Emotional Rescue. :beer:

Thanks........I think. :huh:

Are you talking about the song "Emotional Rescue" or the album of the same name?

Just for the record;the song is absolutely fucking reprehensibly horrible ,to the point of being funny,the whole album is semi-tolerable.It personifies the Stones (Mick) trying to be trendies.It shouldn't be in the same store as Let It Bleed,Beggars Banquet,Sticky Fingers,Exile On Main St.,or anything else they made before 1973,much less the same shelf.

Hi Evster,

Thanks for the advice mate, but I don't hold it against him. I just wanted to know why.

.... Same as the radio stations, you would have thought Stairway was the only song Zepp wrote.

Regards, Danny

Thanks. :beer:

I hope I've done a sufficient job of articulating why I feel the way I do about the song.I mean that sincerely,not sarcastically.If not,see below.It's not the reason,per se,but it explains a lot.......

If I didn't;we can just agree to disagree.... :beer:

It's like saying you hate chocolate : it's saying you're boring, pathetic, odd and disliking everyone else so much that you chose to claim to shun what everyone likes.

It labels you as a person that feels messed up inside, like you didn't get love from your mom and grew up on bad friends and habits or smtg.

Can't put my finger on it. I've had my psuchosis days and utopia reveries and left them in the past, but I still know that Stairway is the best song ever, no matter what Taurus' Spirit sounds like.

It's like a guy saying he hates getting deepthroated and finds it repulsive. GET REAL. You don't like Stairway, I don't like you.

You're just stuck on some emotional shit. You don't hate the song and we all know it, infinity plus one.

93s

Really? Nice to know you can get inside my head to such a degree that you can come to such a conclusion from a few of my posts.You don't know me;and you never will.I don't feel "messed up inside",as a matter of fact,I feel better than I have in ages.How's it feel to be so judgmental?"Stairway" is the best song ever?Maybe in your opinion,and many others',but not mine.Believe it or not;law of averages says there's a lot of people who feel the way I do,you're just not likely to find them on a Led Zeppelin fan site.

Can't put your finger on it?Try putting your finger on the trigger.

...and just for the record I love getting deepthroted;it's just that your mom is really bad at it.

You need therapy.

For starters....... :rolleyes:

Paul Stanley is a huge Zeppelin fan, Gene Simmons doesn't care about anything unless he's making a profit from it. They were probably just joking around, no big deal.

P.S. I hope they had to pay a royalty for playing the intro to Stairway, go get em' Jimmy.

^^Agreed. Every bio or interview I ever read with Paul where the subject of favorite bands has come, he invariably has always said Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. You might hate KISS as a band, but I've had some pretty cool conversations with Paul. He's anything but an asshole.

Unlike Gene Simmons. Fuck you Gene. You arrogant, rude, ungrateful asshole. Prick won't even condescend to look at a fan in person unless it's in public and people are watching. I've gotten Artist Passes (not Guest) from their manager (I happen to know Doc and Paco), and hung out with each of them. Paul, Peter, Ace, Tommy, Eric. All cool, down to earth guys who'll shoot the breeze. Not Gene. He won't even come out of his room. And when he does, it's either to arrive or leave. And he'll just walk right past you with his stupid I Am Indy basball cap, eyes forward as if you don't even exit. Shannon, Nick, Sophie. No problem. They'll hang out. But the moment Gene comes out the door, it's like soldiers moving out. I mean his FAMILY! Pathetic.

^^Agreed. Every bio or interview I ever read with Paul where the subject of favorite bands has come, he invariably has always said Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix. You might hate KISS as a band, but I've had some pretty cool conversations with Paul. He's anything but an asshole.

Unlike Gene Simmons. Fuck you Gene. You arrogant, rude, ungrateful asshole. Prick won't even condescend to look at a fan in person unless it's in public and people are watching. I've gotten Artist Passes (not Guest) from their manager (I happen to know Doc and Paco), and hung out with each of them. Paul, Peter, Ace, Tommy, Eric. All cool, down to earth guys who'll shoot the breeze. Not Gene. He won't even come out of his room. And when he does, it's either to arrive or leave. And he'll just walk right past you with his stupid I Am Indy basball cap, eyes forward as if you don't even exit. Shannon, Nick, Sophie. No problem. They'll hang out. But the moment Gene comes out the door, it's like soldiers moving out. I mean his FAMILY! Pathetic.

There is some excellent (fairly recent) footage on YouTube of Gene arriving at a Tv studio to do an interview, and there are what are obviously KISS diehards outside waiting to meet him. He refuses to sign anything for any of them, pretends they don't exist and then when one of the fans takes issue with this, Gene accuses him of being an Ebayer seller. Nice guy...NOT!

There is some excellent (fairly recent) footage on YouTube of Gene arriving at a Tv studio to do an interview, and there are what are obviously KISS diehards outside waiting to meet him. He refuses to sign anything for any of them, pretends they don't exist and then when one of the fans takes issue with this, Gene accuses him of being an Ebayer seller. Nice guy...NOT!

Funny, Simmons will attempt to market anything Kiss related from cans to coffins, but God forbid giving an autograph to some foolish fan who may try to do 'exactly what he does'.

This guy is a real piece of work. He really disgusts me.

Its a given Man... Kiss its an ok band i mean they have accomplished alot but nothing near as good as zeppelin. I put kiss up there with all the pop acts now a days... alot less talent with alot more style. just My 2 pennies

I would consider Kiss the Scooby Doo Coaster of rock:

KDScoobyDoosGhosterCoaster.jpg

The band you cut your teeth on when you were ~11, that introduced you to/prepared you for "real" rock and roll :D

(Roller coaster metaphor is deliberate, for the "Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park" made for tv movie, lol)

And yes, I'm guilty of having a few KISS albums when I was ~ 11 :blush: But the rock magazines I bought that had KISS on the cover led me immediately in the right direction :)

Have to say that my two favourite bands are Zep and Kiss....quite a combination from differing ends of the rock spectrum! Anyway, Paul Stanley of Kiss started playing Stairway at their recent headline appearance at the UK Download festival and then quit after 10/20 seconds. I can't recall what comment he made but in no way would he/Kiss ever be derogatory to Zep as they absolutely idolise Zeppelin. You can see Kiss on Youtube on their recent tour starting to play Stairway and then just saying "not tonight..."

Also, Kiss do an astonishing cover of Whole Lotta Love, which is simply amazing! Paul also states time after time that seeing Zep live was the greatest show he's ever been to. You can see Kiss' cover of WLL on Youtube from Bradford 1988. I'd also recommend that you view Kiss doing the Who's Won't Get Fooled Again from 1986 - superb! Finally, Zep are the best ever, but for those that knock Kiss, go and see them live - they are outstanding!!!!

• 1 month later...

Archived