Stratocaster At The Earl's Court?

pinky

I recently read somewhere that Page used his Strat for Over The Hills And Far Away one of the nights at the Earl's Court and well...I have a little trouble beleivng it. If you post a link please dont post one for Wikipedia, or Song Facts cause alot of it's bull like Bonzo using a garbage bin in "Ramble On"

Yes, it was OTHAFA, the result of a broken string I believe. Why he had a Strat in the building at all is a complete mystery to me. A Strat didn't become part of his onstage arsenal till several years later (used for In the Evening). While he had used one in the studio on tracks, he never broke one out live until after 1975. Makes me wonder if it was borrowed in a pinch. Was there an opening act at Earl's Court??

Yes, it was OTHAFA, the result of a broken string I believe. Why he had a Strat in the building at all is a complete mystery to me.

Exactly...

This has puzzled me as well, especially as by 1975 he had both the #2 sunburst and the cherry red/purple/whateveryouwanttocallit Les Paul as well.

On the Heavy Metal Kids DVD you can clearly see him play OTHAFA on #1 one night & #2 the other (again, presumably a broken string is the reason).

The setlist from Earl's Court begins with three songs on the Les Paul (OTHAFA was the third), Danelectro for IMTOD, doubleneck for TSRTS/RS, then #2 had to be tuned in DADGAD for Kashmir (pre-emptive strike: yes, for those who weren't aware, in 1975 Kashmir was played on Les Paul. The Dano was only used from 1977 onwards)

Two thoughts:

Theory A - on "the night of the Strat", Ray Thomas had got #2 into DADGAD early, figuring there were only three Les Paul tunes to get through, & string breaks would be unlikely. Jimmy broke a string during Sick Again, & they had no choice but to grab the Strat. On subsequent night's Ray kept #2 in standard tuning during the start of the show, and was thus available for OTHAFA on the HMK video.

Theory B - Jimmy broke a string on #1 during R&R, grabbed #2, broke another string during SA, and had to grab the Strat because Ray Thomas had figured he had plenty of time during IMTOD/TSRTS/RS so hadn't yet changed the string on #1.

<_<

Hmmmmmm....

How about:

Theory C - Jimmy had just bought the Strat, so he took it to the gig. He broke a string on the Les Paul so grabbed the Strat on the spur of the moment, didn't like it, so went back to the Les Pauls for the rest of the run.

I got nothing more - someone else take a shot... :lol:

Does anybody have the picture of Jimmy with the Strat at Earl's Court from Ross Halfin's Led Zeppelin photo book? I haven't seen that photo in a while, but which strat is he playing? Is it the Lake Placid Blue one?

Yes, it's the Lake Placid Blue one.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived